E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-21-2012, 05:04 PM   #1
willsbma

My Ride: 99 323i
Talking Did a bunch of stuff to the ride, still a ways to go

So In the last 3-4 weeks I've had a new found hope for my car. I'm a very "gadgety" type of guy and I realized I need to make my car my new hobby for the long haul if I ever want her back to turning heads. Obviously the mechanics come first because she is my daily driver but after that it's gonna be balls to the wall looks, exterior first and then interior. I figure it this way, why buy a new car and have a payment every month when I can spend a few grand and keep her tip top and looking awesome.

All replaced:
Rear shocks -(WOW)
pass side coil spring (holy sh$t, what a difference)
front and rear brake pads
Driver side front wheel bearing/hub (no more grinding noise)
water pump (no more overheating)
radiator (no more leaking coolant)
t-stat (heat works great now)
tensioner pulley (quieter idle)
much needed oil change (20k I think...)
a rear tire that was bald
brake pad wear sensor light off (annoying light that bothered me for a few years)
fixed my obc stalk (after 7 years all I had to do was solder two small wires)
outside temp sensor (no more -40!)

Still need control arms. I found this kit: http://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw-...e-e46-e46cakit probably gonna grab it when I get paid next thursday.

After that, I think the front bumper support will be next (it's a little bent so the headlight moulding won't fit under it)

The big one is gonna be the tranny. I found one for $500 and a friend is gonna install it or a few hundo (I miss second gear dearly and my mpg is suffering terribly)

I figure a new clutch and short throw shifter while it's out too right?

Ok, I'm done now, just so damn proud I had to let it out!

I have P.A. Soft and a 20-pin adapter. Only used it a few times but pm me if you need anything coded!

Last edited by willsbma; 12-25-2012 at 06:09 PM.
willsbma is online now   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-21-2012, 05:35 PM   #2
choxor

My Ride: JDM
Sounds like it was neglected for quite a while.

But grats on the work.

Last edited by choxor; 11-21-2012 at 05:37 PM.
choxor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 06:02 PM   #3
willsbma

Yes, definitely neglected. It was involved in an accident around this time last year and I've been unemployed for a while so i had to scrape by and barely keep it running. A few people backed into it a couple times and I finally decided it was time to get the ball rolling so I started on the body work, doing that got me back into the spirit. I have just about everything ready for paint except the driver side rear door which is going to be replaced instead of loaded with bondo. After that, it's hitting the body shop for some paint. I got rid of my rc cars and my nikon camera gear so I can focus on just my car. It will be ready by the time it gets nice out again.

I have P.A. Soft and a 20-pin adapter. Only used it a few times but pm me if you need anything coded!
Old 11-21-2012, 06:06 PM   #4
choxor

My Ride: JDM
Glad you're back on your feet and getting the car back on its feet, too.
Old 11-21-2012, 06:06 PM   #5
tks

My Ride: slower than yours
20k oil change dear god...
tks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 06:21 PM   #6
willsbma

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruskisky View Post
20k oil change dear god...
I was worried about that but the oil didn't look too bad coming out. I've heard that Blackstone labs tested oil out to 18k so 20k shouldn't be terrible. I'll keep up with them now that I found a job. Maybe I'll send it out to a lab next change just for shits and giggles

Old 11-23-2012, 07:26 PM   #7
willsbma

Replaced A-pillar and C-pillar trim today. I found a stock air box with the cowl for $20 so I popped that in too. Also, swapped out a door brake so now the front door stays open by itself again! New dr rear door is on as well, luckily the junkyard gave me a whole door, glass and door panel all included for a good price. Now onto the front bumper reinforcement. I hope I can find one tomorrow

Old 11-24-2012, 12:54 PM   #8
willsbma

No bumper reinforcement today, but new plugs and a new air filter will hopefully get my mpg up a little. Also threw in a new upper intake boot. The silicone around that little vacuum line bung was finally getting to me. I'll keep updating, whether you read or not...

Old 11-25-2012, 09:52 PM   #9
willsbma

Added in a custom phone mount and a usb port in the blank cover next to the seat heater button. Also threw in a 12v socket in the glove box for charging stuff discretely while parked. Ordering an mtech bumper this week, maybe some springs too.

Sent from my DROIDX using Bimmer App

Old 11-25-2012, 10:17 PM   #10
KOpower

My Ride: 325ci
Congrats - sounds like the car is coming along - a well kept and updated e46 can stay timeless and current for decades -

Plus car payments do suck!

My Ride:
2002 e46 325ci Manual - Sport & Premium Pkg
KOpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 06:14 PM   #11
willsbma

Ordered a few things! Waiting on M3 mirrors, hotchkis springs, oem roof rack and Di-Noc for the roof. The control arms, endlinks and bushings came today so if I can resist I'll do it tomorrow am, maybe tonight if I'm really bored. Got my spoiler from taiwan but it doesn't fit (figures...) Still waiting on that MtechII or M3 bumper.

Last edited by willsbma; 11-30-2012 at 06:19 PM.
Old 11-30-2012, 07:04 PM   #12
wildirish317

My Ride: 2004 325Ci vert
Sounds like you landed a great job. Congrats! Don't go overboard on the spending though. Start an emergency fund for when something breaks.

“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.”
wildirish317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:44 PM   #13
willsbma

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildirish317 View Post
Sounds like you landed a great job. Congrats! Don't go overboard on the spending though. Start an emergency fund for when something breaks.
Yes I definitely landed an amazing job! I have a few bucks stashed for a "rainy day/repair" fund. I was finally at the point of disgust and made a choice. Sold my photography gear and said fuk it, lets get this back together. Def looking to make it a head-turner once again. Thanks!

Old 12-10-2012, 06:38 PM   #14
willsbma

front and rear carpet, rear deck, upper b pillar trim all dyed black. Rear seats and headrests next... Springs came today and so did the roof rack. Hopefully this weekend she'll be lowered.

Old 12-10-2012, 08:10 PM   #15
Brevik

My Ride: Tiag M3
Good job. I bet you would get better feed back with photos
Brevik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:18 PM   #16
willsbma

Quote:
Originally Posted by breiwa1 View Post
Good job. I bet you would get better feed back with photos
The camera on my phone sucks so my girl has been taking them with hers, I'll have to get them sent over and start an album!

Old 12-10-2012, 08:32 PM   #17
willsbma

I think this should work:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/willtes...7632220487422/

Old 12-17-2012, 08:54 PM   #18
willsbma

Update: this weekend I put 90% of the interior back in. Most stuff was dyed black but I didn't do the seats yet. Also installed the lowering springs and the new bumper/carrier. It looks really good lowered and the handling is much improved. Not used to it being dropped so I need to watch for big pot holes and keep it away from curbs. My buddy has some spare time at his shop this week so he's gonna look at the car and see what kind of job I did on the body work. Then after his assessment we'll see what needs to be tweaked before paint. Hopefully I didn't do too bad and he can get it done soon.

Sent from my DROIDX using Bimmer App

Old 12-20-2012, 04:09 PM   #19
willsbma

Car is in for paint!!!

Old 12-20-2012, 04:13 PM   #20
PH03NIX46

My Ride: '03 M3
Exciting!!

Although I have to say, if I ever got a car resprayed, it'd never be in black. There are just too many awesome colors to choose from (AW, LSB, some form of bright red, etc.).