E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Gun Talk

Gun Talk
Are you a gun fanatic as well? If so, you'll want to talk to other owners about what you own in this forum.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-23-2012, 03:42 PM   #1
tiloulou330i

My Ride: 02 330i zsp
Send a message via AIM to tiloulou330i Send a message via MSN to tiloulou330i Send a message via Yahoo to tiloulou330i
First time gun purchaser looking for advice.....

I just got my permit to purchase a handgun from the people's republic of New Jersey and I need to buy an all-metal pistol.Don't care about the weight since it's going to be a HD and range gun...I have an $800 budget.Any recommendation?

Originally Posted by nawmean?
I know I sound naive, but some of the advice I've taken from this board has helped my life quite a bit
tiloulou330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 03:56 PM   #2
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

My Ride: My wife
Have you read through the sticky at the top titled "Handgun Buying 101"? There is a lot of very useful information that you will help you narrow down your choices prior to asking for a general recommendation. Any particular reason you are limiting yourself to an all-metal pistol?
Old 11-23-2012, 04:13 PM   #3
tiloulou330i

Send a message via AIM to tiloulou330i Send a message via MSN to tiloulou330i Send a message via Yahoo to tiloulou330i
I heard that all metal guns have better recoil making them more appropriate for a first time shooter.

I know I sound naive, but some of the advice I've taken from this board has helped my life quite a bit
Old 11-23-2012, 04:29 PM   #4
fitzi6_7

My Ride: 323I
What do you mean by better recoil?
Recoil primarily stems from caliber/weight and style and varies. You said it was primarily a range gun and that leads me to believe that you are looking for a target pistol. Are you looking for semi auto single shot revolver?

What is the most important thing you are looking for?

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Bimmer App
fitzi6_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 06:05 PM   #5
Reedo302

My Ride: F30 328i M Sport
Every gun will feel different, and just because a gun is made of metal does not mean it'll have less recoil. Go to a gun range that rents pistols and shoot until you find a few you like, then decide from there.

Gunfighter Training Development and Evaluation
AR15/AR10 Armorer/Advanced Armorer
Glock Armorer

Gunfighter Training YouTube Channel
Reedo302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 10:55 PM   #6
FTLAUDM3

My Ride: M3, Z4
How many do you plan to own? Can you Carry in your state? There are few things to consider - looks, how it feels in hand, and how u shoot it. I would get a 9mm since its cheaper to shoot and jhp rounds are plenty for HD. My top recommendations would be Glock 19, M&P 9c, or XDM 3.8. They are the best sellers right now for a reason. The best classic design is the 1911. Fire a few at a range and then pick the one you like best. I like glocks..very reliable and eat any ammo.
Old 11-23-2012, 11:36 PM   #7
ryanwhite74115

My Ride: 2011 Hyundai Sonata
Sig Sauer *cough* P229 *cough*

ryanwhite74115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:24 AM   #8
GlockMan

My Ride: Suburban LT 4x4
Shoot a Glock 19. If you don't hate it, buy it.

There are many advantages to it as a first real gun.

Very reliable.
Very little maintenance.
Very good value overall.
Very easy to take apart and clean.
Holds its value very well.

Down the road you will know more about what you wish you had (if anything.)

Ranting about Panny plasmas, Canon cameras, Glocks, BlueNile, and HDMI cables on a BMW board since 2005.

2007 Chevy Suburban LT 4x4 with Nav/Bose/DVD/JL (works for me)
1968 Ford Mustang with Polk/ADS (my first car)

2007 Lexus GS350 with every option
2000 BMW DINAN M5
2001 BMW 330ci
GlockMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:27 AM   #9
GasKing

My Ride: 14 Jeep Wrangler
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockMan View Post

Very reliable.
Very little maintenance.
Very good value overall.

+1 Everyone should own a GLOCK.
GasKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:53 PM   #10
dfjaws

My Ride: '08 E90 M3 / '02 Z3
Quote:

Very reliable.
Very little maintenance.
Very good value overall.

That wasn't my first handgun... it was my second.

Should have been my first for all of those reasons ^
Old 11-24-2012, 10:38 AM   #11
kaput

My Ride: 2002 M3 SMG
Send a message via AIM to kaput
Glock man speaks the truth. I bought a Glock 19 as my first gun, and I will probably never sell it. It never jams, everytime I pull the trigger it goes pop, accurate, light, easy to conceal, easy to mod (don't get carried away here) and with 9mm, it is cheap and easy to not only practice but +P ammo with be a great protection ammo.

There are others out there, and many styles and tastes. For my money, I would buy the glock before owning anything. Not saying the others are bad, but the reliability and ease of use make it the best in the defensive category way ahead of the others.

2002 M3
kaput is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 12:13 PM   #12
JTLaz

My Ride: Can now offroad
I'm a fan of the Beretta M9 all-metal frames. We can throw out suggestions all day. Just go into a gun store and try holding them. From there try to see if you can go to a range that rents the ones you like to test fire some rounds through.
JTLaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 05:02 PM   #13
Reedo302

My Ride: F30 328i M Sport
Definitely go to a gun store or range and get some hands-on time. With that said, do not buy the gun right then and there unless you are absolutely certain you know what you are getting. There are a number of gun counter guys who have an agenda they are trying to push, and I've seen these guys try and push guns that people either did not want, or had no business buying. Case in point is with a 1911. Some are good, some aren't, but if you don't know what to look for, you can be in a world of hurt. Then there's the occassional moron that will try and convince you that a S&W Sigma is just as good as a Glock, or that a Norinco pistol will be just as good as a Sig. Also, beware of the gun counter guy that says you have to have _____ caliber because it's more powerful/bigger/more death power than other loads. By now it should be common knowledge that most combat-capable pistol calibers perform the exact same across the board, but unfortunately you have a lot of people stuck in ignorance or emotional investment in a specific caliber being superior for some intangible reason.
Ideally, you want to go into a gun shop with a friend that you trust that knows their stuff about guns, but I understand that that's not always possible. Friends that know stuff about guns are always willing to go with you to a gun shop or range. My friends won't buy a gun without consulting me first, and they won't go to a gun shop to buy unless I go with them. Not because I make them, but because they know that I won't steer them wrong and I won't let a gun counter guy blow smoke up their ass.

Gunfighter Training Development and Evaluation
AR15/AR10 Armorer/Advanced Armorer
Glock Armorer

Gunfighter Training YouTube Channel
Reedo302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:38 PM   #14
Locutus09

My Ride: Something Slow
Don't dismiss the S&W M&P.

It's a completely different animal than the S&W Sigma. IMO it gives the Glock a run for it's money.
Old 11-24-2012, 10:48 PM   #15
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
love my glock 21A. It was my first firearm, and I can't imagine finding another handgun that I'd keep by my bed.
Old 11-25-2012, 08:00 PM   #16
tiloulou330i

Thanks guys for the sound advices.I narrow it down to Glock 19 gen 4 and S&W M&P 9 range kit.I really wanted a Sig P226 stainless steel but after further thinking I think it's wiser to get something cheaper to practice.I live in a communist state called NJ,so CCW is almost impossible to get.Here in this state,each time you need to purchase a handgun you have to have a permit to purchase(P2P) which is a lengthy process.

Old 11-26-2012, 06:28 AM   #17
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiloulou330i View Post
Thanks guys for the sound advices.I narrow it down to Glock 19 gen 4 and S&W M&P 9 range kit.I really wanted a Sig P226 stainless steel but after further thinking I think it's wiser to get something cheaper to practice.I live in a communist state called NJ,so CCW is almost impossible to get.Here in this state,each time you need to purchase a handgun you have to have a permit to purchase(P2P) which is a lengthy process.
I actually own both of those, but carry a Glock 19 gen 3 on a daily basis.

The triggers are very different between the Glock and the M&P, so make sure that you get some time behind both before you make your decision. They are also not an apples to apples comparison, because the Glock is a sub-compact (smaller) than the standard M&P 9. I think a closer comparision is the Glock 17.

The range kit is nice, since it includes the mag pouch, extra mag, and the holster. However, living in NJ really precludes you from using those. You can save a little money by getting a standard M&P 9.
Old 11-26-2012, 07:58 AM   #18
GlockMan

My Ride: Suburban LT 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serbonze View Post
I actually own both of those, but carry a Glock 19 gen 3 on a daily basis.

They are also not an apples to apples comparison, because the Glock is a sub-compact (smaller) than the standard M&P 9. I think a closer comparision is the Glock 17.
Glock 17L = longest made
Glock 34 = competition
Glock 17 = normal
Glock 19 = compact
Glock 26 = sub compact

Ranting about Panny plasmas, Canon cameras, Glocks, BlueNile, and HDMI cables on a BMW board since 2005.

2007 Chevy Suburban LT 4x4 with Nav/Bose/DVD/JL (works for me)
1968 Ford Mustang with Polk/ADS (my first car)

2007 Lexus GS350 with every option
2000 BMW DINAN M5
2001 BMW 330ci

Last edited by GlockMan; 11-26-2012 at 08:03 AM.
GlockMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:08 AM   #19
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

Quote:
Glock 17L = longest made
Glock 34 = competition
Glock 17 = normal
Glock 19 = compact
Glock 26 = sub compact

Yup, my bad.
Old 11-25-2012, 08:19 PM   #20
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
You can't go wrong with either of those. Keep the Sig in your thoughts as well, as they're generally really great guns. At the very least, if you don't like the Sig, you can re-sell it for a reasonable price. I've never known anyone to buy a Sig and not like it.