E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking

Suspension & Braking
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-23-2012, 11:16 PM   #1
redneckrice94

My Ride: 2000 323i
Track Suspension? Koni Yellow w/ H&R Race Springs?

I currently have stock blown shocks and stock springs. I do have Urethane CAB's. I take my car to a few autocross/track days every year and plan on going to more once I am done with college.

My current plan is Koni Yellows with H & R Race Springs. I also plan to do urethane Rear Trailing Arm Bushings and Subframe Mount Bushings.

Do I need camber plates to run this setup or will I be ok without them. I plan on going to get the car aligned at a local race shop so they know what they are doing but I want to do everything right so that they can set everything up well the first time.

Thanks for your input.

redneckrice94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-23-2012, 11:28 PM   #2
tock172
Beachtown Bill Collector

My Ride: '99 Techno Violet M3
I have H&R race springs paired with Bilstein Sport dampers. I'm not running camber plates and it can be aligned without issue.

1999 Techno Violet Metallic BMW M3
2005 Audi B6 S4 quattro 6MT
2004 BMW 330i
1986 BMW 535i

Last edited by tock172; 11-23-2012 at 11:29 PM.
tock172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 11:47 PM   #3
redneckrice94

Do you have pics of the car with what the camber looks like? I know you want some camber for the track anyway but I dont want it to be too agressive.

Old 11-24-2012, 12:07 AM   #4
tock172
Beachtown Bill Collector

I am running alignment specs as close to factory specs as possible. I would need to look in my files at my most recent alignment printout. I don't really have any photos highlighting the camber.

Before and after photos of the drop:

2004 BMW 330i
1986 BMW 535i

Last edited by tock172; 11-24-2012 at 12:08 AM.
Old 11-24-2012, 12:30 AM   #5
redneckrice94

Ok that looks good. I think that the H&R Race springs are a good choice. Koni Yellows will also help with the adjustable dampness.

Thanks for your input again, I think I have strengthened my original idea and now just need to order the parts sometime soon.

Old 11-24-2012, 05:48 PM   #6
tock172
Beachtown Bill Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneckrice94 View Post
Ok that looks good. I think that the H&R Race springs are a good choice. Koni Yellows will also help with the adjustable dampness.

Thanks for your input again, I think I have strengthened my original idea and now just need to order the parts sometime soon.
My pleasure.

I've been running the setup for a while now and the handling is truly incredible. The problem is I scrape all over the place. Due to the fact that I drive my car 50+ miles a day, I am swapping over to brand new Eibach pro kit springs for a more refined daily driving experience.

2004 BMW 330i
1986 BMW 535i

Old 11-27-2012, 06:41 AM   #7
subieworx

My Ride: ZHP, 335, E53, E30
I wouldn't do it for a performance suspension. It works alright for driving around town type of suspension, but it's too low on stock style dampers for outright performance due to the extreme reduction in bump travel. Even with shorter bump stops it still sits on them all the time. I have to run my Konis almost all the way stiff to keep up with the normal around town forces I experience with them.

If you are serious about wanting to do track or autox driving I would save up for some decent coilovers.
subieworx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:18 PM   #8
dreamdrivedrift

My Ride: 99 M3 & 95 325i
Send a message via AIM to dreamdrivedrift
Quote:
Originally Posted by subieworx View Post
I wouldn't do it for a performance suspension. It works alright for driving around town type of suspension, but it's too low on stock style dampers for outright performance due to the extreme reduction in bump travel. Even with shorter bump stops it still sits on them all the time. I have to run my Konis almost all the way stiff to keep up with the normal around town forces I experience with them.

If you are serious about wanting to do track or autox driving I would save up for some decent coilovers.
This, don't waste your money on the H&R "Race" springs.