E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-30-2012, 12:36 PM   #1
PrecisionX

My Ride: 2002 330CI
Would you ever buy an Audi after owning a BMW?

I just parked next to a silver B5 S4, to me one of the cleanest best looking cars and in theory a perfect performance storm, twin turbo? 6 banger? AWD? Nice... But no they decided to be a hurricane of PITA repairs and maintenance.... What a shame, would you ever own an Audi? Did you? Seems like I hear more people saying never again to Audi more than never again to Chevy lol...
Old 11-30-2012, 12:42 PM   #2
GhostFlame

My Ride: LSB/HPF
Owned an A4 2.0T and it was the biggest POS maintenance wise.

The car itself handled wonderfully with the quattro system, although admitably it did feel quite heavy. Interior aesthetics were beyond any probably 90% of other cars out there of the same generation. Wasn't too bad on gas either.

In one sentance: do not own out of warranty.
Old 11-30-2012, 12:44 PM   #3
PrecisionX

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostFlame View Post

The car itself handled wonderfully with the quattro system, although admitably it did feel quite heavy. Interior aesthetics were beyond any probably 90% of other cars out there of the same generation. Wasn't too bad on gas either.

I hate that because I don't keep cars stock, and if I love a car enough I will keep it longer than the warranty period. I'm afraid of my current car enough lol
Old 11-30-2012, 12:44 PM   #4
Zell

My Ride: '02 Dogemobile Shibe
I'd consider an A5 because I love their interiors and the body style, but what draws me to BMW is the heavy steering feel. It's just unmatched by any competitor.
Old 11-30-2012, 12:49 PM   #5
PrecisionX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zell View Post
I'd consider an A5 because I love their interiors and the body style, but what draws me to BMW is the heavy steering feel. It's just unmatched by any competitor.
I drove one, numb light steering and super stiff suspension that didn't have the handling to justify it, not even close.
Old 11-30-2012, 01:04 PM   #6
Zell

My Ride: '02 Dogemobile Shibe
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrecisionX View Post
I drove one, numb light steering and super stiff suspension that didn't have the handling to justify it, not even close.
WHY CAN'T ANY COMPANY GET THIS RIGHT?!
Old 11-30-2012, 08:47 PM   #7
HellRaiser1

My Ride: 2004 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zell View Post

THIS

Especially after retrofitting the older heavier steering rack. It's funny when someone not used to my car gets in they always say something like "the power steering is broken" , hahaha

My dad just got an a4 b6, well maintained by audi dealer. I have nothing bad to say about the car. It's what he wanted , German AWD 6-speed 4-door nice interior. I hate that the gearbox feels so mushy and lightweight. Perhaps it's because I compare it against my tight UUC SSK. Hmm maybe for christmas I'll get him an SSK
HellRaiser1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:52 PM   #8
jcns

My Ride: California
Quote:

Never met anyone with a used/older Audi that did not have a complaint.
I get it that cars are not perfect, but Audi being a premium brand some these issue should not come up.
BMW also gets it that it's a good idea to build cars that are (relatively) easy to maintain because the car will hold value better.
I would love to get an RS4, incredible car, but the maintenance on that thing will make you sell a liver.
Or even the relatively pedestrian a4 v6. Look at the link below for how to replace timing belt and water pump
http://ramspeedautomotive.com.au/blo...tag/water-pump

Last edited by jcns; 11-30-2012 at 12:54 PM.
jcns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:58 PM   #9
MrAdventure

My Ride: '99 Z3, '00 328Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcns View Post
Look at the link below for how to replace timing belt and water pump
Yeah, I forgot that, but my friend told me he tried to save money and did that as a DIY. Note the whole front end is off the car. I think that's when he said "No More" and is selling his for $5k.

Last edited by MrAdventure; 11-30-2012 at 01:00 PM.
MrAdventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:17 PM   #10
GhostFlame

My Ride: LSB/HPF
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcns View Post
Never met anyone with a used/older Audi that did not have a complaint.
I get it that cars are not perfect, but Audi being a premium brand some these issue should not come up.
BMW also gets it that it's a good idea to build cars that are (relatively) easy to maintain because the car will hold value better.
I would love to get an RS4, incredible car, but the maintenance on that thing will make you sell a liver.
Or even the relatively pedestrian a4 v6. Look at the link below for how to replace timing belt and water pump
Exactly, and its not just about the maintenance cost. Doing your own work on these cars is a headache - very unfriendly to DIYers.

YMMV based on model and job, but overall I would not own one again unless its warrantied. Like percisionx said, this won't happen for me as im the type of person who needs to be able to do my own work.
Old 11-30-2012, 01:49 PM   #11
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
Quote:
Exactly, and its not just about the maintenance cost. Doing your own work on these cars is a headache - very unfriendly to DIYers.

YMMV based on model and job, but overall I would not own one again unless its warrantied. Like percisionx said, this won't happen for me as im the type of person who needs to be able to do my own work.
Having to take the front of the car off for a timing belt would frustrate me to no end. I can't believe manufacturers still use timing belts these days. A chain is vastly superior.
WDE46 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:52 PM   #12
jfoj

My Ride: '06 330CiC, '03 M5
NO! I actually also have a 2003 New Beetle Convertible in the family that was purchased new. The VW makes the BMW look as reliable as a bicycle!!

Luckily the VW has cheap parts and is not bad for a DIY mobile.

An Audi, I hear you should watch out.

If you want an Audi, LEASE IT!!

Fuel pump failures - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501

Temp Info - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964491

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temps, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info - www.bmwgm5.com

Lower hose fan switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299
jfoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 06:35 PM   #13
M3Inline6
F82 ///M4 coming soon!

My Ride: 335/X5/M3/848/128i
Nope!
M3Inline6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:14 AM   #14
BMWh0r3

My Ride: 325CIvic
Quote:
this is the general statement from almost all audi/vdubbers i know.
Old 11-30-2012, 12:44 PM   #15
Cyanide72

My Ride: 2002 325i
I won't own anything after owning a BMW.
Old 11-30-2012, 12:45 PM   #16
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrecisionX View Post
I just parked next to a silver B5 S4, to me one of the cleanest best looking cars and in theory a perfect performance storm, twin turbo? 6 banger? AWD? Nice... But no they decided to be a hurricane of PITA repairs and maintenance.... What a shame, would you ever own an Audi? Did you? Seems like I hear more people saying never again to Audi more than never again to Chevy lol...
My sister owns a Audi A4 B7 2.0T. It has been in the shop quite a few times, but not for anything major. Her radiator cracked once. That was the most inconvienient one. I think they are a little less reliable than our BMWs, but not by much. I see a lot of special tools for sale online that I really wouldn't want to have to buy. As far as comfort and handling and all that, it about equals an E46 or E90 except it is FWD. That's the only thing I dislike about the car. The torque steer is preposterous. If I were to buy an Audi, I would definitely get an S4 Quattro and that's it.
WDE46 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:46 PM   #17
MercForHire

My Ride: 323Ci 5 Speed Black
Audi is nice parked at garage 24/7 all year around.
Because it is broken.
MercForHire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:46 PM   #18
cak323i
Modded ///Member

My Ride: ///M3 & 330i ZHP
I would have an Audi RS4 to add to my stable...
2004 TiAg ///M l OEM CSL interior door panels l OEM CSL bootlid l Scorza CSL center console | Navigation | LCM s/w 4.5 triple blink | OEM black interior retrofit | BC Racing BR Coilovers l BMW Performance Carbon Fiber strut bar & Short Shift Kit l Gruppe M carbon kevlar CAI l BMW iPod Integration l Alu Tech interior Trim l Lit F10 ///M5 Shift Knob l Umnitza Orion V4 A/E's l Status Gruppe one piece cf CSL lip | BBS CH & ARC-8 wheel sets
cak323i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:46 PM   #19
Silversixspeed

My Ride: Too many to list
Before I purchased my E46, I had it narrowed down to a ~04 S4 or an E46 XI. I went with my current choice based on a couple things. Cheaper insurance, cheaper initial cost, heard better things about reliability, and because chick magnet. While S4's are certainly clean and look good, I much prefer the E46's lines.

Oh how I wish I had the V8 some days though..

Last edited by Silversixspeed; 11-30-2012 at 12:48 PM.
Silversixspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:47 PM   #20
tock172
Beachtown Bill Collector

My Ride: '99 Techno Violet M3
Maybe a TT RS or an R8. Maybe an RS4. I considered a B5 A4 1.8T quattro at one point. Glad I opted for an e46 instead.

1999 Techno Violet Metallic BMW M3
2005 Audi B6 S4 quattro 6MT
2004 BMW 330i
1986 BMW 535i

Last edited by tock172; 11-30-2012 at 12:47 PM.
tock172 is offline   Reply With Quote