E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-07-2012, 01:24 PM   #1
kevin.john1

My Ride: 2002, 325xi wagon
sway bar links

I noticed one of my boots have separated, is there a reason to replace both sway bar links at the same time? I have 120,000 miles on this car.

Kevin
kevin.john1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-07-2012, 01:38 PM   #2
///MPR77

My Ride: 02 ///M3 Tri-Ped
I replace both of them, at the same time, because they are relatively cheap.

I don't see why you couldn't just replace one side, assuming the other side is still firm.

I would pull the other one off, and check the ball joint for slackish play.

Bewahren Sie ihre ultimative fahrmaschine
///MPR77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 01:48 PM   #3
SamDoe1

My Ride: Clubs baby seals
If one is gone, the other is too. For the cost of less than $30 each and less than 30mins wheels up to wheels down, why wouldn't you do both?
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 02:12 PM   #4
///MPR77

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamDoe1 View Post
If one is gone, the other is too. For the cost of less than $30 each and less than 30mins wheels up to wheels down, why wouldn't you do both?
Exactly, to inspect the other side is half the job of replacing it.

Old 12-07-2012, 02:44 PM   #5
Kubica

My Ride: 2003 325xi
The only front suspension component that isn't always replaced in pairs are the control arms.

You do both links at once. No debate.

And there's room to grab the links to check for play without removing a wheel or jacking up the car.
Kubica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 04:23 PM   #6
///MPR77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubica View Post
The only front suspension component that isn't always replaced in pairs are the control arms.

You do both links at once. No debate.

And there's room to grab the links to check for play without removing a wheel or jacking up the car.
Yeah there is room, but without getting the front up in the air the links will be loaded, and very hard to feel for subtle play, which can still clink and clunk.

I suggest jack the car from the rear pad enough to get a jackstand under the vacant front Jack pad.

Lower Jack gently and repeat process, on the other side.

Once both wheel are up it will be a lot easier to inspect and replace properly.

Old 12-07-2012, 06:08 PM   #7
bmwbob89

My Ride: M-5 325 X3 528 740
You only need to replace the bad one. They are either good or bad.
bmwbob89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:38 PM   #8
Kubica

^Ya if you bought your xi for $5k this year. Cheap bastards.
Old 12-07-2012, 10:46 PM   #9
e46alfonso

My Ride: 330xi, focus st
Quote:
^Ya if you bought your xi for $5k this year. Cheap bastards.
haaahhahahahahahahaa. I at this.
e46alfonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:10 PM   #10
peytonracer4
:D

My Ride: '00 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwbob89 View Post
You only need to replace the bad one. They are either good or bad.
...not really.
Op it's cheap. Replace the other one so you don't have to do it 2 months from now when it fails.
Old 12-08-2012, 08:36 AM   #11
kevin.john1

My Ride: 2002, 325xi wagon
thanks all, will go ahead and do both while I am at it
kevin.john1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 09:31 AM   #12
bmwbob89

You guys are pretty funny. If a dealer replaced both sides because one was bad you would all be saying they ripped you off. I replace what is needed when it is needed. They are not a part that needs replaced in pairs. The other one may last years before it needs replaced. It may have been replaced already. You can waste money if you like but i would rather spend it on things that actually need done or a beer.

Last edited by bmwbob89; 12-08-2012 at 09:32 AM.
Old 12-08-2012, 11:03 AM   #13
SamDoe1

My Ride: Clubs baby seals
^ So do you replace only one brake pad or rotor when the other side is good? How about shocks/springs?

If one side has failed, I would be willing to bet the other side isn't far behind.
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 11:30 AM   #14
Rickna

My Ride: '02 330xi AT
Send a message via ICQ to Rickna Send a message via AIM to Rickna Send a message via MSN to Rickna Send a message via Yahoo to Rickna
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamDoe1 View Post
^ So do you replace only one brake pad or rotor when the other side is good? How about shocks/springs?

If one side has failed, I would be willing to bet the other side isn't far behind.
+1 -It's also important for proper ballance.

238 years of democracy has died, and with thunderous applause

My_Mods_&_Stuff
Rickna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 01:37 PM   #15
bmwbob89

They don't have any balance. Its a metal rod with a ball and socket. If the ball and socket are worn they make noise. You always do brakes per axle you don't replace front and rear because one axle is worn. Shocks are a little different. If they have more than 30k on them BMW says replace both if not do the one that is leaking. That was warranty criteria. I would always replace both shocks on the axles that were an issue if it was customer pay. I work on BMW's and have for almost 40 years. I know what I am talking about. If you don't want to listen that is your call and money. Don't tell other to spend what they don't have to.
Old 12-08-2012, 05:18 PM   #16
Rickna

My Ride: '02 330xi AT
Send a message via ICQ to Rickna Send a message via AIM to Rickna Send a message via MSN to Rickna Send a message via Yahoo to Rickna
Quote:
They don't have any balance. Its a metal rod with a ball and socket. If the ball and socket are worn they make noise. You always do brakes per axle you don't replace front and rear because one axle is worn. Shocks are a little different. If they have more than 30k on them BMW says replace both if not do the one that is leaking. That was warranty criteria. I would always replace both shocks on the axles that were an issue if it was customer pay. I work on BMW's and have for almost 40 years. I know what I am talking about. If you don't want to listen that is your call and money. Don't tell other to spend what they don't have to.
I'm not talking about the links. Just argeeing with Sam on rotors, etc.

238 years of democracy has died, and with thunderous applause

My_Mods_&_Stuff
Rickna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 10:42 PM   #17
Kubica

Quote:
Well if you want to be really cheap just run without front sway bar links.

Throw in some 87 from the no-name gas station and hit up pepboys for some Chinese tires.

I think you may be confused where you are. This is e46 fanatics. Note how it's not called e46 cheapskates or e46 hacks.

Best advice is to replace in pairs. Or sell and buy a chevy.
Old 12-09-2012, 12:44 AM   #18
redbull 325is

My Ride: 325xit/6
Send a message via AIM to redbull 325is
Quote:

Throw in some 87 from the no-name gas station and hit up pepboys for some Chinese tires.

I think you may be confused where you are. This is e46 fanatics. Note how it's not called e46 cheapskates or e46 hacks.

though I am running fuzion uhp tires atm
Old 12-09-2012, 07:52 AM   #19
bmwbob89

Quote:

I hate to break it to you but most of you are what the industry consider hacks. This is not your day job. I don't mean hacks in a bad way though. I hack my way through computer problems all the time. The way you snipe me is why very few master techs want to come here and offer help. Keep that in mind when you bite the hands that try to feed you. I thinks a lot of people here are trying to fix their own cars to save some money. I sometimes actually resist helping you all as I know the crap it will bring. Good Day and spending more money than you have to as it will support our economy.

Last edited by bmwbob89; 12-09-2012 at 08:28 AM.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:33 PM   #20
Kubica

Quote:
I hate to break it to you but most of you are what the industry consider hacks. This is not your day job. I don't mean hacks in a bad way though. I hack my way through computer problems all the time. The way you snipe me is why very few master techs want to come here and offer help. Keep that in mind when you bite the hands that try to feed you. I thinks a lot of people here are trying to fix their own cars to save some money. I sometimes actually resist helping you all as I know the crap it will bring. Good Day and spending more money than you have to as it will support our economy.
Lol. "Master" mechs like you just hack away at jobs as quick as you can to make a buck. We don't need your generic master hack advice around here. Many of us could do your job no problem. We just chose more lucrative professions.

Tags
anti roll bar links, sway bar links