E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-07-2012, 11:27 PM   #1
heaton

My Ride: e46
Should I get a ZHP with 140k

Iv been looking for a 330ci for what seems like forever. Of course I want one with less miles, If anyone has one I'm still looking. But to have a base model with less miles or the opportunity to have a ZHP with more is a tough decision. If you know the differences between the two going for a ZHP is a no brainer. I don't mine the mileage to much because its a clean car and I know it has been well taken care of, plus most of the minor things have already been replaced. So it sounds good but in the back of my mind I'm still a little scared. So any advice would be great, thanks.
heaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:41 PM   #2
330i ZHP

My Ride: have 5 doors and FI
Send a message via AIM to 330i ZHP Send a message via Yahoo to 330i ZHP
its like any bmw - if taken care of 140k isnt bad
Old 12-07-2012, 11:50 PM   #3
peytonracer4
:D

My Ride: '00 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 330i ZHP View Post
its like any bmw - if taken care of 140k isnt bad
This. Records are golden.
Take care of it and it will be good to you.
Don't buy it if you don't have the funds to properly care for it though

Last edited by peytonracer4; 12-07-2012 at 11:50 PM.
peytonracer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 12:08 PM   #4
Chris C

My Ride: 2001 325Ci
I agree with peytonracer4. Records are golden. But even if you've got full records if you don't have the funds for maintenance or you don't want to or like to turn a wrench, then don't buy it.
Chris C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 12:11 PM   #5
jhaurimn

My Ride: 01' 330ci
M54s are pretty bulletproof, so like everyone said if it's been taken care of then get it!
2001 M3 - 90xxx
1989 325i - 2??,???
jhaurimn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 12:54 PM   #6
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
it depends on how much it's costing you. just because it has the "Performance Package-(zhp)" doesn't mean it's worth some extraordinary price, especially with high mileage. at that mileage some of the unique items of that package are shot and have or need to be replaced. making the package of parts not so much a package anymore.

if the car is clean and maintained with oem parts then mileage should not be an issue in its longevity. but ask yourself how many thousand do you want to spend on a 140,000 mile 330? when you go to sell how many miles do you think it will have and it's value then? personally I would hold out unless its a unique color, immaculate, and inexpensive.
Old 12-08-2012, 02:12 PM   #7
Hamsocne

My Ride: 2002 330Ci
There was a great looking imola zhp sedan posted on here about 4-6 weeks ago. I lusted for a bit so I remember. I think it had maybe 110,000 miles. Seller was in VA. I don't know him and apologize and don't mean to intrude but I kept looking at it because it seemed very nice. Find that thread to compare.
Old 12-08-2012, 03:23 PM   #8
heaton

Thanks for all the help. I'm planning to do all the work on the car myself unless something major. So It will still be cared for just without the expensive labor cost. So I think I can handle what ever funds come up. From other 330ci zhps iv looked at with high miles this one seems to be a good buy. But just curious what would some of you, that know what your talking about, think for the price? It's a 2004 330ci zhp and a 6 speed mt. Like I said most minor things have been replaced.
Old 12-08-2012, 03:48 PM   #9
Alex323Ci

ok it's an '04 330Ci-zhp manual with 140,000 miles and...options and condition?
like color, is it Imola Red? alcantara/cloth or leather? navigation? dings, dents, rash?
Old 12-08-2012, 03:53 PM   #10
heaton

I'm not really sure what other packages it has. It doesn't have navigation. It's gray in color and no dents or rash. I'm sure due to its age and milage it's got some wear to it but nothing bad at all.
Old 12-08-2012, 03:54 PM   #11
heaton

I would say 8.5/10 at the lowest
Old 12-08-2012, 03:55 PM   #12
heaton

O and I'm pretty sure it's the alcantara
Old 12-08-2012, 04:07 PM   #13
Alex323Ci

KKB shows in your area a low of $7,771 for "Fair" to a high of $9,571 for "Excellent". if that matters to you

before double checking, i was going to say don't think of paying over $10K.
prices WILL vary by region and condition. demand is what drives the prices up and what people are willing to pay at any given time.
Old 12-08-2012, 04:17 PM   #14
heaton

Yeah I found the same thing on kbb. But I was look on the classified section on zhp mafia and I found a lot with 120k/130k for 12 or 13 and a couple with 140k that was still around 11. These were high in my opinion but made me feel better about the one I'm looking at. Hopefully I can get it around 9
Old 12-08-2012, 04:42 PM   #15
Zchild

My Ride: 2000 BMW 3XXi ZSP
Here are my primary concerns with a bimmer with 140,000 miles... Speaking strictly from experience with my 300,000 plus bimmer. The suspension will need a definite over-haul to include control arms, CAB's, ball joints, shocks, springs, dampers, struts, rear trailing arms and bushings, motor mounts, transmission mounts, O2 sensors, guibo, center drive-line support are all things that need a hard look after 100,000 miles. Hopefully the transmission and differential fluids have been changed at 140,000 as well. You already know you'll have to refresh the cooling system if that hasn't been done. Just my two and a half cents worth...
NCC High Performance Driving School Back-Up Registrar
NCC Auto-X BOD Liaison
DIY Senior Committee Coordinator
2006 E90 325Xi & 2000 E46 3XXi
" Vision without resources is just hallucination"
Zchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 04:48 PM   #16
aahmed2016

My Ride: 2003 330i ZSP/CP/PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by heaton View Post
Iv been looking for a 330ci for what seems like forever. Of course I want one with less miles, If anyone has one I'm still looking. But to have a base model with less miles or the opportunity to have a ZHP with more is a tough decision. If you know the differences between the two going for a ZHP is a no brainer. I don't mine the mileage to much because its a clean car and I know it has been well taken care of, plus most of the minor things have already been replaced. So it sounds good but in the back of my mind I'm still a little scared. So any advice would be great, thanks.
Considering my ZSP was bought @ 193K and It's running fine at 200 atm, I would say go for it, BUT with all e46's check the service history. I'm literally having to do EVERYTHING on my car because it has NO service history whatsoever. also, take out the gauges. check if any lights are taped up or so, a few people have reported that when they were doing the red needle/ chrome gauge ring mod, that they saw the airbag light, check engine light, etc. was taped so the light wouldn't shine through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercForHire View Post
Spends $2000 on car DVD + stereo -> Running 25000 mile oil changes and 87 gas with blown shocks
aahmed2016 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2004, 330ci, e46, zhp