E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum

The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum
Use this forum to discuss anything in relation to wheels to tires to offsets.
Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-16-2012, 02:49 AM   #1
metlic53

My Ride: 2003 BMW 330i
Will this tire fit?

i currently have 225/45/17 on my 01 325i. their stock wheels.
My mom just bought a hyundai and in the trunk were two brand new hankook 215/55/17 tires. Well my two rear tires have threads coming out the inside on my bmw but my front tires have about 60 percent left. front left is continental, front right is a khumo ecsta. (previous owner did that) I see no sense in just throwing the front two tires away and buying a whole set if i can throw those hankooks on the front or back and when their finished i'll buy a new set. is 215 a bigger or smaller tire? i want the smaller on the front otherwise it would look weird but would this tire work for me for now without rubbing and what not?
Thanks for the advice

[IMG][/IMG]
metlic53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-16-2012, 03:07 AM   #2
v8 5

My Ride: 6 speed BMW
No, just... no.

We have 4 websites within the family.
v8 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 05:01 AM   #3
jayb328i

My Ride: E46 2000 328i
I would not do it and would be real concerned with what you are doing now. Two different brand tires on the same axle with different patterns (and different type rubber gripping coefficients) means different handling conditions between the car and the road for each tire on the same axle. Perhaps safe at 20mph or maybe even 40mph. BUT at 60mph or 80 mph with slight moisture on the roadway--this may prove to be very dangerous and cause the car to become uncontrollable. I have concerns with different tires on different axles, but never different tires (brands) on the same axle. Safety to me is most important and handling under emergency conditions (or bad weather) is key to me.
PS--Based on your wording, I am wondering what you mean by 60% tire left. Is that just eying it? Have you measured the exact depth of the treads? Even though legally some States allow no less than 3/32, that is considered borderline dangerous by many. Federal law does not allow trucks to have front tires less than 4/32. I consider it time to change tires at 5/32 in order to have good road grip and responsiveness to steering. So--what is the lowest tread depth on each tire.
jayb328i is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 08:29 AM   #4
metlic53

Ill go measure but the front have 5000 miles on them the rears are basically drag tires except the outside edge I bought it like that. So if I had those two same on rear and two same kind different size on front it would be ok? And I only drive my jeep when it's raining I tried with the BMW and it hydroplanes at 50. I did 70 when it was raining when I first bought it and nearly had a heart attack
Old 12-16-2012, 09:15 AM   #5
jayb328i

My Ride: E46 2000 328i
I know nothing about off-road use and which are the best tires. But low tread means less grip on the road, especially when it gets low as I have indicated. I hear what you are saying that your jeep is your rain vehicle, but just think about being 100 miles from home and it rains. Also,even though rain (and snow-but not in Texas) may increase the gripping, same is true to a somewhat lesser degree on dry surface. Hydroplaning is partially identified with low treads.
Two tires that are not identical on the same axle is dangerous--and very dangerous for you to put different size tires on the same axle. In some States that is against the law. You are indicating that you " bought it like that" as if that makes it safe and nullifies the safety concerns. I am not sure what kind of tires you have in terms of lifetime wear, but 5000 miles does not sound like much rubber. Over 5/32 would be the test measurement.
PS--as long as you are going to look at the tires, one other thing that many people ignore is the DATE of manufacture on the tire. Look at that. I would suggest that if you have a tire on your car with a manufacture date of over 4 years old, consider replacing. If it is over 6 years--I would consider it not safe (although some people would disagree on age). What happens is the rubber (sidewalls) deteriorate, sometime spotted in fine cracks, which means the tire is subject to major failure such as blow outs. At 60mph (or 80 mph) I do not want to have that tire on my car--I value my self and the car more than allowing those to be my wheels.
jayb328i is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 09:41 AM   #6
metlic53

I'm rarely 100 miles away from home and when I say I I bought it like that I meant I just bought it a couple months ago, I'm trying to figure out what to do without wasting the front tires, 5000 miles seems like nothing, the tires on my jeep have 66k miles and are 7 years old, that may be not safe but oh well they have about 4 k left till they are slicks. The date on my tires for the BMW are march 09 and the front have a ton until the tread wear bar, the backs are smooth. I don't think different size tire matters here in texas, I have a truck that had 33's in front and 35's in back and discount put them on, don't m3's have a bigger back tire? The only reason I am concerned is the tires I want may rub, that's all I was asking, I shouldn't have stated what brand tires I have on the car at all, I can get a khumo with the same tread as the front right for cheap so if I opt for that I'd have two khumos on back and two hankooks on front or vice versa. Or I may just go buy 4 new Michelin supersports. I appreciate your comment but would it work or would it simply not drive once I bolted it up?
Old 12-16-2012, 10:17 AM   #7
MercForHire

My Ride: 323Ci 5 Speed Black
Sell those hankooks on Craigslist.
They are useless for your e46
MercForHire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 10:40 AM   #8
metlic53

Lol it's fixing to get a headgasket I can't afford new tires lol
Old 12-16-2012, 11:35 AM   #9
sunsetcoast

My Ride: '99 323i & '00 323iT
Quote:
Originally Posted by metlic53 View Post
i currently have 225/45/17 on my 01 325i. their stock wheels.
My mom just bought a hyundai and in the trunk were two brand new hankook 215/55/17 tires. Well my two rear tires have threads coming out the inside
Those "threads coming out" are the belts, part of the carcass of the tire. Webster defines "carcass" as the worthless remains of something. It is not safe to drive a car without tread, never mind exposed belts.

As to fitment, the Hankooks are a bit narrower and a bit taller than the tires you have. They shouldn't be a problem clearance-wise, esp. since 245/45 was an optional size for the rear. But, if the pic is of your car, you have 8" wheels. 215 is pretty narrow for that width. Check with Hankook about whether that is an approved size for the tires.

And, if you mount new tires on only one axle, they should go on the back. (Don't put the new ones on the front and move the others to the back.) Based on your description, they are certainly better (safer) than what is on there now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by metlic53 View Post
my front tires have about 60 percent left. front left is continental, front right is a khumo ecsta. (previous owner did that) I see no sense in just throwing the front two tires away and buying a whole set if i can throw those hankooks on the front or back and when their finished i'll buy a new set. is 215 a bigger or smaller tire? i want the smaller on the front otherwise it would look weird but would this tire work for me for now without rubbing and what not?
What is the spare and its condition? This may be an alternate tire to mount.

In most states, the MINIMUM requirement is that the same size tire be mounted on each side of an axle. Just as the MINIMUM requirement is 2/32" of tread depth, but that depth isn't really safe, especially in bad weather, there are other considerations.

It is important that the tires be the similar construction and class: for example, don't mount a hi-perf summer tire with a basic all-season. While it is ideal to have matched rubber, better to have a Bridgestone snow tire on one side and a Michelin snow tire on the other than to have a Dunlop all-season on one side and a Dunlop summer tire on the other.
sunsetcoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 01:41 PM   #10
metlic53

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsetcoast View Post
Those "threads coming out" are the belts, part of the carcass of the tire. Webster defines "carcass" as the worthless remains of something. It is not safe to drive a car without tread, never mind exposed belts.

As to fitment, the Hankooks are a bit narrower and a bit taller than the tires you have. They shouldn't be a problem clearance-wise, esp. since 245/45 was an optional size for the rear. But, if the pic is of your car, you have 8" wheels. 215 is pretty narrow for that width. Check with Hankook about whether that is an approved size for the tires.

And, if you mount new tires on only one axle, they should go on the back. (Don't put the new ones on the front and move the others to the back.) Based on your description, they are certainly better (safer) than what is on there now.

What is the spare and its condition? This may be an alternate tire to mount.

In most states, the MINIMUM requirement is that the same size tire be mounted on each side of an axle. Just as the MINIMUM requirement is 2/32" of tread depth, but that depth isn't really safe, especially in bad weather, there are other considerations.

It is important that the tires be the similar construction and class: for example, don't mount a hi-perf summer tire with a basic all-season. While it is ideal to have matched rubber, better to have a Bridgestone snow tire on one side and a Michelin snow tire on the other than to have a Dunlop all-season on one side and a Dunlop summer tire on the other.
Yeah that is my car and both my rears have belts hanging out on the inside, i wasn't thinking when i switched the tires around thinking the inside would be put to outside as they are directional tires so they are rotating the wrong way right now but who cares they are junk, fun on rainy roads though. so i need to replace them both. the full size spare it came with is blown up by previous owner. I dont know why everyone says the same size tire on each axle,im not going to put a 225 on the left and 215 on the right, right now all tires on it are 225/45/17, i want to keep 225/45/17 on front and put 215/55/17 on the back, i'd rather have the bigger ones on the back and i doubt it would hurt the rear axle with two different brands of tires if their the same height, i'lll tape measure, its not an LSD so its not going to burn any clutch discs inside, and their all all season tires, i dont buy snow tires in texas. None of them are z rated either, all the same. I have a tire changer so i'll do it and post pictures one of these days
Old 12-16-2012, 02:14 PM   #11
peytonracer4
:D

My Ride: '00 328i
Is this real...? Or what.
OP if you can't afford 2 new tires then you can't afford to keep a bmw. It's as simple as that. Get a '98 civic and be happy.
Old 12-16-2012, 03:40 PM   #12
metlic53

Quote:
Originally Posted by peytonracer4 View Post
OP if you can't afford 2 new tires then you can't afford to keep a bmw. It's as simple as that. Get a '98 civic and be happy.
oh trust me, i can afford to buy anything i want for this bmw i just choose not to at the moment. I have plenty of money, i just have two tires that are sitting and need use.
Old 12-16-2012, 05:44 PM   #13
sunsetcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmr2wil View Post
I don't disagree with your math... but I do disagree with the optional rear tire size. I was under the impression that the rear "wide" tire option was 245/40/17 (per the owners manual). This has a sidewall of 98mm.
You are correct. A 17 mm difference does get to be pretty significant, although I suspect that the most noticeable difference would be to make the speedometer less optimistic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayb328i View Post
Please let me know if you plan to drive out of your State. I want to make sure I am not on the same highway as you are, and definitely consider notifying the authorities regard safety violations.
The OP is trying to make the tire situation on his car better. Having mismatched tires on the front is certainly not an ideal situation, but those "too tall" Hankooks will certainly be much better than the tires with exposed belts on the rear axle.

Quote:
Your goal should be to have 4 of the same sized tires that have good tread. I don't care if you buy cheap general tires that are $450 a set. Just get good tires.
I don't think anyone here disagrees with the goal. Often, there are intermediate steps on the way to the ultimate goal. As long as the tires on the rear axle match in size, have an adequate load rating, and don't rub, it is a better situation than riding with exposed belts. This is a step toward the goal.

Quote:
It's a safety thing.
[...]
Things rarely go wrong. Just about every trip you take to school, the store, or wherever is uneventful. That's fine. But I promise you there will be that one time. It will be raining hard and you can't see. All of the sudden a deer or old person or whatever appears. You swerve or brake.
There's only two things that matter in that split second. Driver reaction and tires. Sure 99% of the time it doesn't matter and you'll be "just fine" but it's that one time that counts. And that's the make or break moment. Don't cheap out on tires.
X 100.

If only more drivers understood this...and acted on it.
Old 12-16-2012, 02:20 PM   #14
ryannel2003

My Ride: '04 Cadillac Deville
Quote:
Was thinking the exact same thing.

OP, I bought my car with 2 different tire brands and the handling was quite scary during storms because the tread pattern was completely different for the front and rear. You can probably find a cheap set of 4 matching tires on Tire Rack for cheap and be better off than you are now.
Old 12-16-2012, 02:20 PM   #15
MercForHire

My Ride: 323Ci 5 Speed Black
hankook 215/55/17

THAT'S 10mm thicker than your other 225/45/17

Take that hankook and burn it. okay?
MercForHire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 02:52 PM   #16
lmr2wil

My Ride: '00 328Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by MercForHire View Post
hankook 215/55/17

THAT'S 10mm thicker than your other 225/45/17

Take that hankook and burn it. okay?
I never can tell if you're trolling Merc... 215/55/17 are 10mm thinner in width than 225/45/17.

The bigger question is diameter (get that wrong and the DSC won't let you live it down). The 215s are 5% larger in diameter than the 225's. This is likely enough to cause the DSC to think there is a malfunction!

I wouldn't use these tires OP.

Luke
lmr2wil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 03:39 PM   #17
metlic53

i'll turn DSC off then it'll be perfectly fine, "take hankook and burn them"? its not like im autocrossing my car at the moment, just back and forth on the freeway, it'll be fine. if you cant afford tires you cant afford blank blank blank, basically these cars are junk cuz the first thing you have to do when you buy it is do a cooling overhaul then the trans blows, the clutch blows, then subframe tears, the headgasket blows, buy any chevy and you can just drive it drive it drive it i'm going to do it and i bet it works just fine, i love my car and the bigger tires wont affect anything.
""Is this thread real""
I need to find a forum that is more family friendly.
the hankooks wont last long, i burnout everytime i take off anyway.
Old 12-16-2012, 03:52 PM   #18
lmr2wil

OP,

I understand that you have gotten answers here that range from not what you wanted to hear to rude. However, why ask if you already have the answer made up in your head? If you're ging to do it, then go do it it. No one knows if they're going to rub, because this isn't a tire size that many are itching to put on these cars. Most don't chose to make the tread thinner and the sidewall taller over stock.

Good luck.

Luke
Old 12-16-2012, 03:54 PM   #19
sunsetcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmr2wil View Post
The bigger question is diameter (get that wrong and the DSC won't let you live it down). The 215s are 5% larger in diameter than the 225's. This is likely enough to cause the DSC to think there is a malfunction
The difference in diameter is 5%, but the sidewall height differential is actually closer to 8%. The nominal sidewall heights:
  • 225/45 (standard size) = 101 mm
  • 245/45 (optional rear size) = 110 mm
  • 215/55 = 118 mm
8 mm is about 1/3".

Tread depth of a typical tire is 12/32". So the difference between a new and a worn tire (say mounting a "new" spare for a worn one) is 10/32" (or 8 mm). The DSC system would be expected to deal with this.
Old 12-16-2012, 04:13 PM   #20
lmr2wil

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsetcoast View Post
The difference in diameter is 5%, but the sidewall height differential is actually closer to 8%. The nominal sidewall heights:
  • 225/45 (standard size) = 101 mm
  • 245/45 (optional rear size) = 110 mm
  • 215/55 = 118 mm
8 mm is about 1/3".

Tread depth of a typical tire is 12/32". So the difference between a new and a worn tire (say mounting a "new" spare for a worn one) is 10/32" (or 8 mm). The DSC system would be expected to deal with this.
I don't disagree with your math... but I do disagree with the optional rear tire size. I was under the impression that the rear "wide" tire option was 245/40/17 (per the owners manual). This has a sidewall of 98mm. BMW has kept all the sizes very close in diameter (I believe for a reason).

Luke

Tags
stupid redneck