E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-18-2012, 08:59 AM   #1
kgregory

My Ride: 2005 330Ci
How to dress for an interview

I'm going to interview for the position as assistant head of my group of about 30 people tomorrow and I'm having trouble deciding how to dress. My concern is that if I throw on a simple suit and tie, that I will be very overdressed since my boss (the group head) typically wears jeans, an oxford shirt, and a blazer. Does anyone have advice for me here?
Old 12-18-2012, 09:02 AM   #2
2000_328CI
DK Jack Sparrow

My Ride: 328Ci | Range Rover
Send a message via AIM to 2000_328CI Send a message via MSN to 2000_328CI
I work for a start up tech company in DC (roughly 60 people) so perhaps this will help.

My office is VERY casual. Standard outfit is khaki slacks/button down, jeans/sweater, and some sales people walking around in suits if they're meeting with clients...

I oversee a group of 7 and have hired everyone of them (and interviewed countless others)... any man who DIDN'T wear a suit for their interview would lose a point in my mind. Overdressing is NEVER a problem when it comes to interviews.... undressing, now that's a different story.

You can play it cool and wear dressy jeans, a button down, and a blazer/sport coat.. but I wouldn't run that risk unless you personally know the individuals you'll be interviewing with.

Everything you need to know on muffler deletes : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=745244
Wrapping an E46 in Vinyl : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ghlight=bronze
2000_328CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:03 AM   #3
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_328CI View Post
I work for a start up tech company in DC (roughly 60 people) so perhaps this will help.

My office is VERY casual. Standard outfit is khaki slacks/button down, jeans/sweater, and some sales people walking around in suits if they're meeting with clients...

I oversee a group of 7 and have hired everyone of them (and interviewed countless others)... any man who DIDN'T wear a suit for their interview would lose a point in my mind. Overdressing is NEVER a problem when it comes to interviews.... undressing, now that's a different story.

You can play it cool and wear dressy jeans, a button down, and a blazer/sport coat.. but I wouldn't run that risk unless you personally know the individuals you'll be interviewing with.

agreed
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:16 AM   #4
Show me

My Ride: 330 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_328CI View Post
any man who DIDN'T wear a suit for their interview would lose a point in my mind. Overdressing is NEVER a problem when it comes to interviews.... undressing, now that's a different story.
Show me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 11:09 AM   #5
raymoon

My Ride: Alpinweiß III
Quote:
Originally Posted by Show me View Post
Always be conservative... wear a suit.
Old 12-18-2012, 09:18 AM   #6
evolved

My Ride: 2011 BMW 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgregory View Post
I'm going to interview for the position as assistant head of my group of about 30 people tomorrow and I'm having trouble deciding how to dress. My concern is that if I throw on a simple suit and tie, that I will be very overdressed since my boss (the group head) typically wears jeans, an oxford shirt, and a blazer. Does anyone have advice for me here?
No one will ever fault you for overdressing for an interview (unless you wear a tuxedo) whereas being underdressed will make you look sloppy and not so serious about the matter at hand.

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

E46Sig
evolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:27 AM   #7
chivo328

My Ride: 328/330/633/M5
chivo328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:36 AM   #8
JonJon
Tinfoilhatatarian

My Ride: .
Send a message via AIM to JonJon
As a hiring manager.... I'll put it this way...

If you go for a job to be a lifeguard...

You wear a suit

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'busa View Post
I agree with JonJon.
JonJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:38 AM   #9
Hedges

My Ride: C63 AMG
Let them know you mean business and you dont just like to give, but you also recieve!

Old 12-18-2012, 09:52 AM   #10
sammk

My Ride: Bone-stock E92
Not sure what the work culture and dress code is at your work, but I would agree that it generally pays off to dress formally and look sharp for any interview. Even if I'm interviewing within my own company and with people I've worked with, I would dress up rather than wear the usual. A nice suit might be in order for you. Personally I would wear a neutral color, with a red tie if I'm looking to make a powerful impression, or blue if I like to be a little subdued yet convey strength.

E92 convert. BMW Fanatic.
sammk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:42 AM   #11
bimmerfan08

My Ride: Phoenix Yellow M3
Wear the suit. Dress to impress.
The whole business of politics has been effectively subcontracted out to a band of professionals. Money people, outreach people, message people, research people. The rest of us are meant to feel like amateurs. In the sense of suckers. We become demotivated to learn more about how things work. We begin to opt out.
bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:46 AM   #12
Rubenk

My Ride: M35A2
Wearing a suit is an antiquated idea that the world should move away from.

But realistically it is still expected, so you should probably wear one in order to give the best impression.
Rubenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 01:07 PM   #13
Raymond42262

My Ride: Is German
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubenk View Post
Wearing a suit is an antiquated idea that the world should move away from.

But realistically it is still expected, so you should probably wear one in order to give the best impression.
What world do you live in ............are you still in high school ?
Old 12-20-2012, 02:35 PM   #14
Rubenk

My Ride: M35A2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond42262 View Post
What world do you live in ............are you still in high school ?
Tell me more about how wearing a suit is a clear indication of your potential job performance.

I did not say I dont believe in wearing a suit, and I think it is absolutely required for a professional interview in most cases. I dont own a suit, but I will if I ever need it for an interview.
Rubenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 08:17 PM   #15
Raymond42262

My Ride: Is German
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubenk View Post
Tell me more about how wearing a suit is a clear indication of your potential job performance.

I did not say I dont believe in wearing a suit, and I think it is absolutely required for a professional interview in most cases. I dont own a suit, but I will if I ever need it for an interview.
OK. That makes more sense. You are forgiven.
Old 12-18-2012, 09:49 AM   #16
Carskibum

My Ride: E90
Send a message via AIM to Carskibum
Classic Suit, none of this Andre 3000 bs.
Old 12-18-2012, 09:51 AM   #17
rohde88

My Ride: S2000
If you'd like, wear a cotton suit with brown shoes.

Casual AND formal.
Old 12-18-2012, 10:49 AM   #18
Breezy

My Ride: LSB M3, saab 900s
Back in college I once got passed up on a job because I wore khakis and a tucked in polo for an interview...it was at the mariott. Shortly after I went for an interview at enterprise rent a car wearing a suit, and a nice watch (breitling) and the interviewer told me I was too flashy..lol. I ended up turning down that sh!t job and working part time at a winery while in school, I dressed a little more causal though. I think it depends on the type of business you are applying to. Where I work now, everyone dresses extremely casual, I knew my manager already, so I just came in dressed very casually to fit in with everyone else. Got the job.

Last edited by Breezy; 12-18-2012 at 10:53 AM.
Breezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 10:53 AM   #19
evolved

My Ride: 2011 BMW 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breezy View Post
Back in college I once got passed up on a job because I wore khakis and a tucked in polo for an interview...it was at the mariott. Shortly after I went for an interview at enterprise rent a car wearing a suit, and a nice watch (breitling) and the interviewer told me I was too flashy..lol. I ended up turning down that sh!t job and working part time at a winery while in school, I dressed a little more causal though. I think it depends on the type of business you are applying to. Where I work now, everyone dresses extremely casual, I knew my manager already, so I just came in dressed very casually to fit in with everyone else. Got the job.
For an entry level job I would never wear anything super expensive or ostentatious (such as a nice watch).

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

E46Sig

Last edited by evolved; 12-18-2012 at 10:54 AM.
evolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 12:29 PM   #20
Breezy

My Ride: LSB M3, saab 900s
Quote:
Originally Posted by evolved View Post
For an entry level job I would never wear anything super expensive or ostentatious (such as a nice watch).
I guess to some people, a colt is a lot different from say a navitimer..subtle and discrete..but for that particular business I agree with you (I didn't know at the time) they make you wash cars in a suit for f*cks sake.. either way so glad I never worked at that place.

Last edited by Breezy; 12-18-2012 at 12:32 PM.
Breezy is offline   Reply With Quote