E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking

Suspension & Braking
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-19-2012, 03:50 PM   #1
thecarguy

My Ride: ZHP Sedan
Clunk noise from rear

So I have been hearing a clunk noise from the rear or my 05 zhp sedan for a bit now. I first dismissed it as possibly coming from the Hotchkis sway bar. Not sure if that is it or not though.

I hear the clunk when rolling off and on the throttle at real low speed (walking pace) in first gear. Today i noticed it even in a straight line when rolling through a parking lot. Up until now i have mainly heard it when pulling out of my garage forward and turning sharp to the right. Just clunks on that first throttle out.

Hope its not subframe. Thoughts on what it could be?

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Bimmer App
thecarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-24-2012, 01:11 PM   #2
benzedid

My Ride: 2001 BMW E46 318i
Send a message via Skype™ to benzedid
It must definitely be the differential bushing. It keeps going bad and does that clunking sound. I have the problem in my car too. But the garage shop asked me not to bother about it and get it replaced some other time because it is not a serious issue.

benzedid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 02:40 PM   #3
jdny516

My Ride: E39 ///M5
Have your car lifted and inspect the rear end.

Hopefully its not subframe like you said. Differential bushing, rear shock mounts, etc
National Capital Chapter #465420
2000 ///M5 ///M Registry
Oxford Green Metallic II (430) | Caramel Nappa Leather (M3CR) | Brushed Aluminum Interior |
Tuning Tech Frank Smith Tune
Tuning Tech IAT Kit
SuperSprint Headers
SuperSprint X-Pipe
Eisenmann Race 4x83mm
DINAN Front Strut Brace
Storm Motorwerks Products

My Progress Thread

2000 323Ci | TiAg | Gray | 5MT | SOLD
jdny516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 06:27 PM   #4
rollan

My Ride: 2003 325i
Having the same issue with my '03 325i. Clacking sound coming from the rear. Very loud at take off, & matches the speed of rpms, then much more faint as I speed up. Sounds very bad, & makes me cringe so much. I just happened over the weekend, so I gotta wait til the day after Christmas to take it to the shop.
rollan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 07:56 PM   #5
thecarguy

Thanks guys. Im going to get under the car to adjust my rear swaybar sometime this week and plan on looking around at everything. Hope its obvious. I am thinking the diff bushing but i dont get it any other gears and only at walking speed in 1st. We shall see!

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Bimmer App
Old 12-26-2012, 05:26 PM   #6
thecarguy

Well, got under the car today to adjust my rear sway bar. The diff bushings look perfect as do the subframe bushings. Granted there could be cracks in the subframe bu I did not see anything jumping out at me. The only thing I forgot to look at was the drive shaft coupler. I have heard that those can go bad and create a similar sound.
Old 12-26-2012, 05:54 PM   #7
rollan

My Ride: 2003 325i
Had my buddy check the car, & it turned out to be the rear brakes getting hung up. I guess they were dirty, so it was enough press a little on the rotors, but not indicate the e-brake was on. Car was run while jacked up, & a few hard pulls with the handbrake made a loud click after release. Then brakes were taken apart, cleaned, & reassembled. Bushings, joints, diff, & all suspension checked, & they were fine (knock on wood). Now, no more knocking noise, & the car actually rides, & brakes much more smoothly.
rollan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:47 AM   #8
thecarguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollan View Post
Had my buddy check the car, & it turned out to be the rear brakes getting hung up. I guess they were dirty, so it was enough press a little on the rotors, but not indicate the e-brake was on. Car was run while jacked up, & a few hard pulls with the handbrake made a loud click after release. Then brakes were taken apart, cleaned, & reassembled. Bushings, joints, diff, & all suspension checked, & they were fine (knock on wood). Now, no more knocking noise, & the car actually rides, & brakes much more smoothly.
Very interesting and worth looking into. This is something I would have never thought of.