E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > UK

UK
Have you seen another BMW while driving around in your area? Find other members from your area in the E46Fanatics Garage HERE

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-21-2012, 02:28 PM   #1
Kandivandit

My Ride: BMW 318i
Idle/starting problems

Hi guys.
I'm new here so let me introduce myself.
I'm ian from the uk.

Iv just brought myself an 02 plate 318i and have had nothing but problems with it. Took it for a test drive. Drove like a dream. No clunks or bangs. So decided to buy. After picking it up. Drove the 20 miles home and had a smell of burning oil coming through the interior heater vents. Had a look and it looks like someone has spilt oil while changing it. Anyway decided to carry on. Stopped on the way home for some food. Got back in and it wouldn't start. After about 4/5 times of trying it finally went. Got it back home. Tried it again and the coolant hose burst. Rang the garage. They took it back as u see warranty. They had it 2 weeks. Changed the crank sensor. The thermostat and the O2 sensor that they said were flagged on a diog. Finally got the car back today and still having the starting problems. Only when warm tho. Starts first time when cold. Also when pulling off in 1st have to put the power right down as it feels like it will stall. Wich it did a couple of times. Then took a few times of trying to start it to get going again. And this is quite worrying as it stalled at lights on a main road and held traffic up etc. and am now petrified of driving it. The EML doesn't come on or anything like that.
I kno a little about cars. Not a great deal but enough. Does this sound like an ignition coil problem or something a lot more deep rooted? I have been reading posts about rough idle wich mine is experiencing a lot until I put my foot down and it seems to sort out until I stop again at lights etc.

Have spoken to someone who seems to think remapping the ecu might help a bit? Am getting to the point where I am petrified of driving it incase it stalls on a roundabout and I can't get it started again.

Thanks in advance
Kandivandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-22-2012, 04:08 PM   #2
darrenburnell23

My Ride: 323i SE
Hi mate, sounds like you're having very similar problems to my 323 at the moment, starts and drives fine from cold but as soon as you turn it off and then go to drive again soon after (without letting it cool) it does the same as you are describing. Its been a bitch to find the problem but i eventually think ive found it. It seems to be one of the camshaft position sensors (a common problem ive now come to realise).
Dont know if its the same on the 318 but mine has 2 of them, one on the intake cam and one on the exhaust cam. Apparently if it is the exhaust one the car usually doesnt have any issues but if the intake sensor is faulty then you get the problems we are having. I put the car on a fault scanner this week and confirmed the faulty sensor. I got the falt code P0340 cam sensor bank "A" fault. Going to change the sensor myself ASAP and follow an old thread I found on here. Take a look...

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...amshaft+sensor

I bought the sensor from GSF yesterday for 47 and doesnt look to hard to change.

Hope this helps as it took me a while to figure this out. Let me know if you want anymore info and I'll let you know how the replacement goes._nr_
darrenburnell23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 03:17 PM   #3
Kandivandit

My Ride: BMW 318i
Oh that's brilliant. Iv been told by the garage that I brought it from the crank sensor was showing a fault so that got changed but read somewhere on another forum that when the crank goes the cam sensors go at pretty much the same time. Iv been looking at a remap to get me some better bottom end for take off etc. but will look at the cam sensors also.
Am taking it to a guy a friend of mine knows who only deals in BMW's so will see what he brings up. It's running a lot better than it was but still not right.
Have kinda thrown myself in at the deep end really as iv only just passed my test and the BM is my first car so I'm guessing most of it is me getting used to driving it but there is defo a problem with it.

Thanks for the reply. Will get that checked out ASAP.
Let me kno how you get on mate. Hope it gets sorted for u
Kandivandit is offline   Reply With Quote