E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-23-2012, 09:16 PM   #1
always-there

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330I
What inspires you?

What inspires me? Cars. The opportunity to push a car to it's very limits. The amount of physics incorporated in a automobile. The ability to be able to play with physics by means of talent. It is what drives me. " It's kind of fun to do the impossible." - Walt Disney
always-there is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 09:35 PM   #2
MercForHire

My Ride: 323Ci 5 Speed Black
try making a car instead of playing it all day.
MercForHire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 10:01 PM   #3
always-there

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercForHire View Post
try making a car instead of playing it all day.
Do explain.
Old 12-23-2012, 11:04 PM   #4
TArse

My Ride: 03 330xi, 87 325is
trees.
TArse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 11:12 PM   #5
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

My Ride: M54B30
are you drunk

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 04:15 AM   #6
Five_seveN

My Ride: rover james
Send a message via AIM to Five_seveN
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
are you drunk

Perhaps you should stop responding. It's a no-win for you here. :dunno:
Five_seveN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:46 AM   #7
DangerousMind

My Ride: Sierra 1500 SLT
OP just got its license.
Old 12-30-2012, 03:55 PM   #8
iverson2k10

My Ride: 2000 323i
Send a message via AIM to iverson2k10 Send a message via MSN to iverson2k10
Fast Cars, shooting Stars, and all of the lights!
Old 12-23-2012, 11:15 PM   #9
BBBoy323i
All show no go!

My Ride: 2000 323i Black/Gray
Regarding just cars? Well to me it's all about personality and making a car your own. I really respect what others have done to their car as long as its not too stupid.

Last edited by BBBoy323i; 12-23-2012 at 11:16 PM.
BBBoy323i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:44 PM   #10
ImSoFreaknWhite

My Ride: '06 M3 SMG VERT
Send a message via ICQ to ImSoFreaknWhite Send a message via AIM to ImSoFreaknWhite Send a message via Yahoo to ImSoFreaknWhite Send a message via Skype™ to ImSoFreaknWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBBoy323i View Post
Regarding just cars? Well to me it's all about personality and making a car your own. I really respect what others have done to their car as long as its not too stupid.
YES this interests me a lot to. the way that people "mod" there cars is a HUGE reflection of the type of person that they are.

My Build Thread

l Status Gruppe One-Piece Lip l Anodized CCW Classics w/ Polished Lips l Black Grills/Gills & Emblems l Carbon Fiber Roundels
Status Rear Section l K&N 57 Series CA Intake l OEM JB Hardtop l TM Drilled/Slotted Rotors l D2 Coilovers w/Camber Plates l VIS CSL VERT Trunk
ImSoFreaknWhite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 11:39 PM   #11
always-there

Quote:
are you drunk
Mango...lol? Guys, the only reason I brought this up is because I'm considering possibly becoming a mechanical engineer, or anything that's associated with cars. I'm a pharmacy technician at the moment, and while I enjoy taking care of people I also love working on cars and improving them. I'm deciding what I want to do with my life, which is why I wrote what I did. My wife's going to graduate this may as an RN. Really, the plan was for her to finish school while I took care of the bills, and then switch..I would continue towards my career in nursing. I had to stop school because my father decided to be a jerk and leave the family when I was 17, and I had to step up and take care of my family, being that I'm the only guy " 4 sisters". I ended up completing 1 year of prerequisites and had to stop due to this dilemma. Anyway, I'm sorry to take your time away, but this is simply me finding myself, now that you're questioning my "soberness.", haha. I feel as if I'm really late at finding a career while all of my classmates reached their goal and recently graduated, " I'm now 26." So it seems I have to choose from becoming an RN, or becoming a mechanical engineer..or something to do with cars.
Old 12-24-2012, 01:40 AM   #12
omni01_k

My Ride: 2014 335i
Quote:
are you drunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by UDM-E46 Enthusiast View Post
Mango...lol? Guys, the only reason I brought this up is because I'm considering possibly becoming a mechanical engineer, or anything that's associated with cars. I'm a pharmacy technician at the moment, and while I enjoy taking care of people I also love working on cars and improving them. I'm deciding what I want to do with my life, which is why I wrote what I did. My wife's going to graduate this may as an RN. Really, the plan was for her to finish school while I took care of the bills, and then switch..I would continue towards my career in nursing. I had to stop school because my father decided to be a jerk and leave the family when I was 17, and I had to step up and take care of my family, being that I'm the only guy " 4 sisters". I ended up completing 1 year of prerequisites and had to stop due to this dilemma. Anyway, I'm sorry to take your time away, but this is simply me finding myself, now that you're questioning my "soberness.", haha. I feel as if I'm really late at finding a career while all of my classmates reached their goal and recently graduated, " I'm now 26." So it seems I have to choose from becoming an RN, or becoming a mechanical engineer..or something to do with cars.
Least you're thinking about it before your stuck 20yrs later doing the same thing only to realize you don't like it and then feeling trapped. Which ever path you choose make sure to have some type of plan "b" just in case, but commit fully and it should work out for you.
Old 12-24-2012, 08:24 AM   #13
RayPooley

My Ride: 320i SE Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by UDM-E46 Enthusiast View Post
Let me make a clear distinction. There is a huge difference between a mechanic and a mechanical engineer. Mechanics fix and maintain cars. Mechanical engineers design cars, as well as practically every other thing around you that might be considered man made. That's not to say that mechanical engineers can't maintain and fix cars. They can, but most don't bother. They give it to a mechanic. One might say that all mechanical engineers are mechanics but not all mechanics are mechanical engineers.
RayPooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 10:21 AM   #14
bimmerfan08

My Ride: Phoenix Yellow M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildirish317 View Post
I'm probably going to catch a LOT of flak for this. My theory, being one, is that engineering is a personality trait as much as it is a career. If you spent your early childhood years interested (no, obsessed) with learning how things work, and are more interested in things than people, you are probably an engineer.

I majored in mechanical engineering because it was honestly the only thing I felt I could pass in college. I struggled through the calculus, chemistry, political science, but really enjoyed the mechanical classes. If you are an engineer, you probably know it. Not many people would struggle through college and then put up with the boring activities (boring to non-engineers) for the well-but not highly paid salary of an engineer.

In other words, don't do it for the money.

A lot of mechanics are engineers who didn't pursue the education. I respect them because they can figure things out based on what they have learned, and draw logical conclusions.

If you are an engineer, you should pursue the education. I loved cars when I was in college. I still do. However, I design and troubleshoot HVAC, plumbing, and piping systems for hospitals and other commercial buildings. I love what I do, and still work on cars.

Do what you love, and you'll never have to work a day in your life.
Personality trait indeed.
"Economics cannot answer such normative or prescriptive questions about how much of our market incomes, if any, should be transferred to poor families. This is a political question that can only be answered at the ballot box, or in some countries, at the point of a gun."
bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 11:00 AM   #15
nikkeiS2K

My Ride: Ghey Mobile
Send a message via ICQ to nikkeiS2K Send a message via AIM to nikkeiS2K Send a message via MSN to nikkeiS2K Send a message via Yahoo to nikkeiS2K
Quote:
If you are an engineer, you should pursue the education. I loved cars when I was in college. I still do. However, I design and troubleshoot HVAC, plumbing, and piping systems for hospitals and other commercial buildings. I love what I do, and still work on cars.
I am not sure who said it on the forums (cowmoo32 comes to mind), but I heard that if you become an engineer chances are you will be working on HVAC systems. I don't know about you, but this seems rather depressing if that is the case. Engineering is a general area that empasses many areas of our life, so I am sure most engineers don't want to end up going into this industry.
nikkeiS2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 11:09 AM   #16
bimmerfan08

My Ride: Phoenix Yellow M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkeiS2K View Post
I am not sure who said it on the forums (cowmoo32 comes to mind), but I heard that if you become an engineer chances are you will be working on HVAC systems. I don't know about you, but this seems rather depressing if that is the case. Engineering is a general area that empasses many areas of our life, so I am sure most engineers don't want to end up going into this industry.

Wasn't cowmoo but cowmoo responded to the response. Having a hard time figuring out the username right now.
"Economics cannot answer such normative or prescriptive questions about how much of our market incomes, if any, should be transferred to poor families. This is a political question that can only be answered at the ballot box, or in some countries, at the point of a gun."
bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:22 AM   #17
nikkeiS2K

Send a message via ICQ to nikkeiS2K Send a message via AIM to nikkeiS2K Send a message via MSN to nikkeiS2K Send a message via Yahoo to nikkeiS2K
Quote:
Actually, engineering offers a bunch of career paths. I'm currently in HVAC, but I've been a plant engineer in a coal fired power plant, and a plant engineer in a bourbon distillery. Everything you see (that is not natural, with the exception of corn, but that's another story) has been touched by an engineer. An engineer was involved in the design and production of the keys you are using to type your reply to this, not to mention the computer you are using.....

I enjoy the work I do in the building industry. It allows me to see the factories where things are made, and how they are made. It allows me to design and install HVAC systems that ensure that proper ventilation and comfort are provided to the people that spend 40+ hours per week in these buildings. It also allows me to work with the mechanics that install the piping and ductwork and equipment that makes all this happen. Some of them have been around long enough to know more than I do about what works, and what doesn't work.

I've been practicing engineering since 1984, and I learn something new every day. I couldn't imagine a better life for me than this.

The automotive industry is very competitive for engineers. When I graduated, I was not the type (and am still not) that could work in the corporate environment of the automotive industry. I chose a different path, and am very happy with my choice.
For sure engineering offers a variety of paths than one can take. I should have been more clear when talking about engineering, but what I meant to say was mechanical engineering, which cowmoo32 responded to my post already. If someone is a mechanical engineer I assume that they want to work on something automotive related, but it seems like a huge let down if they are most likely going to work on HVAC systems don't you think? When I think of a person that works on HVAC systems I tend to think of a janitor or someone that just needs to go to trade school, but I guess I had the wrong idea.

I am trying to break into a software engineering role, so I am an engineer in the sense that I "design and develop things," but everyone knows that software engineers are not considered as real engineers lol. I enjoy what I do everyday and it gives me a little bit of freedom and a chance to use my creativity on selected projects. I got into this field doing what I excepted to do everyday: code. I feel like if you are majoring in mechanical engineering you kind of expect to do one thing, but in reality end up doing another (from how others talk about it). As for other types of engineering (Civil, Chemical, Electrical, Computer), I think they also end up doing what they expect to do.

Last edited by nikkeiS2K; 12-28-2012 at 12:55 PM.
Old 12-28-2012, 12:36 PM   #18
RayPooley

My Ride: 320i SE Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkeiS2K View Post
I am trying to break into a software engineering role, so I am an engineer in the sense that I "design and develop things," but everyone knows that software engineers are not considered as real engineers lol.
Software Engineering is a misnoma. Developing software is not engineering in any sense of the word. I worked for Otis Elevator for 13 years and worked my way up from the drawing board to the R&D Engineering department designing and testing elevator equipment as a Design Engineer. Mechanical Engineering, of course. In the run up towards the end of my time at Otis I was involved in developing CAD systems for the drawing office. This engaged some Pascal programming skills that I learned as part of my degree course.

Redundancy, and a collapse of the manufacturing sector in the UK, saw me leaving and going in a completely different direction. I got a job as a junior COBOL programmer in a corporate bank. I eventually left the bank 13 years ago and have been in the software business ever since. Currently developing web and desktop systems built around Microsoft's .Net Framework. Object Orientated, of course, using C# language. There have been a few other languages along the way: Perl, BASIC, Visual Basic, VBScript Java, JavaScript. They come and go. Its been a nightmare trying to keep up.

But its not just about programming. Systems architecture and database modelling are a huge part of the solution. You need to understand these things as well.

So it is doable. Just don't expect any aspect of your engineering background to be of any use to you. Its a new world entirely.

Last edited by RayPooley; 12-28-2012 at 12:42 PM.
RayPooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 12:53 PM   #19
nikkeiS2K

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayPooley View Post
So it is doable. Just don't expect any aspect of your engineering background to be of any use to you. Its a new world entirely.
My background is entirely in programming. I was just complaining about how mechanical engineers seem like the only engineers who go into the workforce doing something complete different than anticipated.
Old 12-29-2012, 12:42 PM   #20
cowmoo32
drunken science

My Ride: Trek 1.5
Quote:
Yeah, that's the general perception of people who don't know. What they don't see is the computational fluid dynamics required to design a smoke control system to keep an atrium safe while people evacuate a building during a fire, or how the dew point temperature of the air coming out of your air conditioning unit is more critical than the actual air temperature.

It irks me when the janitorial staff is placed under the domain of the engineering department, and a typical building engineering staff contains no degreed mechanical engineers, much less professionally licensed engineers.

There are laws against using the word "Engineering" in a company name or description when that company has no licensed engineers on staff. They are enforced occasionally, but never make the 6:00 news.

Apparently, this subject is a hot button with me, so I promise this will be my last post on this thread.

The engineers (civil, structural, mechanical, and electrical) who design the public environment (buildings, roads, traffic control, bridges, etc) are first and foremost charged with protecting the public safety. First, do no harm.

The same is true for engineers who design products that people use. Our cars are becoming safer because engineers are charged with protecting the safety of those using the products, especially when they are travelling 160 mph down the highway.

Believe me, if you are a degreed mechanical engineer working in a position with an engineering title, you are most likely being challenged to bring your education and experience to bear on the task at hand. It's a rare non-engineer that would be able to perform your work, no matter what field you are in.

It's not a letdown to work in the HVAC industry. It's a lot more complicated and challenging than you think. If you are really interested in why it's not a trade job, go to www.ashrae.org and poke around a bit. Who do you think are trying to figure out how to design net-zero-energy buildings?
I'm glad there are people like you who get excited about doing that kind of work. I knew guys in school who got pumped designing concrete and analyzing structures but I could never get into it. I know this isn't true, but I always felt like I was working in a slow and tech-dumb industry when I was doing civil & construction work, just wasn't very exciting.

flickher

What's this about a brownie in motion?

Last edited by cowmoo32; 12-29-2012 at 12:43 PM.
cowmoo32 is online now   Reply With Quote