E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Gun Talk

Gun Talk
Are you a gun fanatic as well? If so, you'll want to talk to other owners about what you own in this forum.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-03-2013, 11:08 PM   #1
mkodama

Psychological capacity to own a gun?

Should there be a requirement? What do you think the requirements or procedure should be if there was a law on this? Do you think under certain conditions where an owner has shown they were not psychologically capable, a firearm should be taken from them?

Last edited by mkodama; 01-03-2013 at 11:08 PM.
mkodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:18 PM   #2
JonJon
Tinfoilhatatarian

My Ride: .
Send a message via AIM to JonJon
What's the scale?

We live in a judicial society where peeing on a wall while drunk makes you a sex offender and talking to a professional to deal with the grief of losing a loved one 302's you.

IMHO, if you are deemed mentally or physically dangerous enough to not be allowed to own a firearm, you should be locked behind bars.

If you are deemed safe enough to be able to integrate into society... You should have ALL rights restored

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'busa View Post
I agree with JonJon.

Last edited by JonJon; 01-03-2013 at 11:21 PM.
JonJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:27 PM   #3
morningisbad

My Ride: E46 M3 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonJon View Post
What's the scale?

We live in a judicial society where peeing on a wall while drunk makes you a sex offender and talking to a professional to deal with the grief of losing a loved one 302's you.

IMHO, if you are deemed mentally or physically dangerous enough to not be allowed to own a firearm, you should be locked behind bars.

If you are deemed safe enough to be able to integrate into society... You should have ALL rights restored
Agreed. I would only amend that those with a violence related felony should not be allowed. Same way child sex offenders can't live near schools.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:30 PM   #4
JonJon
Tinfoilhatatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by morningisbad View Post
Agreed. I would only amend that those with a violence related felony should not be allowed. Same way child sex offenders can't live near schools.
Why? If they are dangerous enough to be considered a threat, why released?

As far as sex offenders not being allowed to live near schools... Another genius liberal law. Cause they can't drive a mile

Quote:
I agree with JonJon.
Old 01-04-2013, 02:19 AM   #5
mkodama

Quote:

As far as sex offenders not being allowed to live near schools... Another genius liberal law. Cause they can't drive a mile
Because the world isn't black and white, but shades of grey.

I know you like hypothetical situations, so what if you have a war veteran with post traumatic stress disorder that is triggered by holding firearms. The person doesn't have an urge to kill anybody, but becomes so distraught they have an urge to shoot with no regards for other peoples' safety. Would you put this otherwise peaceful war veteran that risked his life for our country behind bars for the rest of his life?

Old 01-04-2013, 08:07 AM   #6
JonJon
Tinfoilhatatarian

That's ridiculous

Quote:
I agree with JonJon.
Old 01-04-2013, 12:08 PM   #7
mkodama

Quote:
That's ridiculous
Yes, and your hypothetical situations of men going into grocery stores and executing everyone one by one and you having a gun will save the day isn't ridiculous.

So by your reasoning, we should give 3 year old children and mentally handicapped people guns because they aren't in jail?

Last edited by mkodama; 01-04-2013 at 12:09 PM.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:53 AM   #8
NFRs2000nyc

My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkodama View Post
Because the world isn't black and white, but shades of grey.

I know you like hypothetical situations, so what if you have a war veteran with post traumatic stress disorder that is triggered by holding firearms. The person doesn't have an urge to kill anybody, but becomes so distraught they have an urge to shoot with no regards for other peoples' safety. Would you put this otherwise peaceful war veteran that risked his life for our country behind bars for the rest of his life?
There is validity to your point. A Vietnam vet might be all "normal" but when handed an AR, might have a flood of memories drive him crazy and he starts shooting all Asians. Possible? Absolutely. Anything that can be reasonably (legislatively) done about it? Nope.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:01 AM   #9
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

My Ride: My wife
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
Anything that can be reasonably (legislatively) done about it? Nope.
Ban Vietnam Vets.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:26 AM   #10
customisbetter

My Ride: 02 325xi
Quote:

I know a woman who is mentally insane.

Her "Thing" is to go out literally every night and have unprotected sex until she gets pregnant and has a child. Then, since shes a drug abusing unemployed piece of trash, Social services shows up and takes the child. Next night she is riding the next cock.

I believe she is on her 4th child.

She has obvious mental issues but she cannot be forced to go into a mental institution.

Now she isn't physical dangerous to other people but she is obviously messed up. Should she own a gun?

Last edited by customisbetter; 01-04-2013 at 11:26 AM.
customisbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:35 AM   #11
JonJon
Tinfoilhatatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by customisbetter View Post

Her "Thing" is to go out literally every night and have unprotected sex until she gets pregnant and has a child. Then, since shes a drug abusing unemployed piece of trash, Social services shows up and takes the child. Next night she is riding the next cock.

She has obvious mental issues but she cannot be forced to go into a mental institution.

Now she isn't physical dangerous to other people but she is obviously messed up. Should she own a gun?
Yea... things might just "work themselves out"

Quote:
I agree with JonJon.
Old 01-04-2013, 12:31 PM   #12
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by customisbetter View Post

Blame the legal system, not the gun. The day she tried to give away her second child, she should have been charged and imprisoned....dare to dream.
Old 01-04-2013, 12:25 AM   #13
morningisbad

My Ride: E46 M3 Vert
Quote:

Temptation and ease of access. In both cases.

I'd prefer to see child sex offenders subject to considerably harsher punishment. But that's another topic...
Old 01-04-2013, 12:32 AM   #14
Reedo302

My Ride: F30 328i M Sport
There are ways to look at mental illness and evaluate it. The problem is just like everything else, in that we have to balance freedom with the repercussions of misuse of those freedoms. There are ways to help resolve this issue, just like with other constitutional issues, but they are ways that we as a country refuse to take steps towards because we have a bunch of pussies and assholes running things. Time for a few dicks.

Gunfighter Training Development and Evaluation
AR15/AR10 Armorer/Advanced Armorer
Glock Armorer

Gunfighter Training YouTube Channel
Reedo302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:54 AM   #15
Act of God
E46Fanatic

My Ride: 3.5 Liters of fury
Send a message via AIM to Act of God
If someone is too dangerous to own a gun they are too dangerous to be in society considering cars, hammers and fists all kill more people and are all readily accessible

"The single most important thing we want to achieve is for President Obama to be a one-term president." October 23, 2010, not January 20, 2009
Act of God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:00 AM   #16
david05111

My Ride: drei hundert dreißig
Personally, I think there should be an intelligence test to procreate as well. I think dumb/useless people cause more damage to society over time than guns, booze, or felons do. But that will never happen

"You'll Never Walk Alone"

"Psycho Murican" -- beeemerdude of Canada
david05111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:37 PM   #17
CollinsE90

My Ride: 330i
There isn't a test to distinguish a killer or not. Completely sane people have a lapse a judgment and kill people all the time. We just need to focus on making mental health centers more accessible and affordable. I know there's plenty of psychology majors without work that could help with that.

Last edited by CollinsE90; 01-04-2013 at 12:37 PM.
CollinsE90 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:45 PM   #18
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by CollinsE90 View Post
There isn't a test to distinguish a killer or not. Completely sane people have a lapse a judgment and kill people all the time. We just need to focus on making mental health centers more accessible and affordable. I know there's plenty of psychology majors without work that could help with that.
But then like JJ said, once you seek any help (even talking about your girlfriend and relationship) will earn you a record of "mental help" and might disqualify you from owning a gun. Not everyone who seeks "mental help" is unfit to own a gun. IMHO, they are weak, but not crazy.
Old 01-04-2013, 12:49 PM   #19
CollinsE90

My Ride: 330i
Where is the source stating you can't go see a psychologist and buy a gun after?
Old 01-04-2013, 12:59 PM   #20
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by CollinsE90 View Post
Where is the source stating you can't go see a psychologist and buy a gun after?
I meant I don't want it to BECOME like that...that anyone who seeks any form of "mental help" will be deemed as a nut by the libs.