E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking

Suspension & Braking
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-04-2013, 09:35 AM   #1
Mesa3077Boogie

My Ride: 325i Sport Package 0
Are these OEM BMW Brake Parts?

eBay Listing

I am looking for OEM BMW Front Brake pads and rotors for my 2003 e46 325i. I have been having dialog with this eBay seller and he claims that the brands TRW and Lucas are BMW OEM pads and rotors with the same compound pads and rotors that original equipment BMW uses.

I am looking for OEM BMW Pads and Rotors and NOT "OE Fitment". They dont have to be BMW stamped but they do have to be the same compounds. I want exactly what was sold on my car out of the factory. As far as my research leads me textar is the only OEM Compound that is exactly the same as factory BMW brake parts.

Any suggestions?

"Brakes Stop The Wheels, Tires Stop The Car"
Mesa3077Boogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:44 AM   #2
Mango
Grand Superpatriot Sport+

My Ride: M54B30
They're clearly playing word games. I would just stick to the big vendors like bmaparts or oembimmerparts to be safe. Textar is the OEM for the pads on our particular pads although Jurid, Pagid, ATE are for BMWs in general. I'm not certain about TRW but eBay can play many tricks just to make a sale. It's just a dude in his apartment selling crap.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:53 AM   #3
Mesa3077Boogie

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
They're clearly playing word games. I would just stick to the big vendors like bmaparts or oembimmerparts to be safe. Textar is the OEM for the pads on our particular pads although Jurid, Pagid, ATE are for BMWs in general. I'm not certain about TRW but eBay can play many tricks just to make a sale. It's just a dude in his apartment selling crap.
Thanks for your advice. I realize that there are many many "OE Fitment" brake pads out there, I have been through about 3 sets and have never actually owned and OEM set of rotors and pads on this car.

When I drove my buddy's X3 or 740 or when I drove new/used BMW's on a car lot, they all had that same distinct feel which is undoubtedly OEM BMW pad/rotor compounds.

*Mango, are you saying that textar is the only BMW OEM compound? Or are the others you listed the same formula as well?

*Any words on TRW and Lucas in specific?

*Lastly, the sales rep at a local shop "Bimmers R Us" claims that BMW OEM Factory rotors are a softer compound as well as BMW OEM Factory pads, and that is what gives BMW braking that specific feel. I have not confirmed this claim and have brought it up here on the forums before. Any words on this claim?

Thanks bros!

Old 01-04-2013, 10:06 AM   #4
Mango

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mesa3077Boogie View Post
Thanks for your advice. I realize that there are many many "OE Fitment" brake pads out there, I have been through about 3 sets and have never actually owned and OEM set of rotors and pads on this car.

When I drove my buddy's X3 or 740 or when I drove new/used BMW's on a car lot, they all had that same distinct feel which is undoubtedly OEM BMW pad/rotor compounds.

*Mango, are you saying that textar is the only BMW OEM compound? Or are the others you listed the same formula as well?

*Any words on TRW and Lucas in specific?

*Lastly, the sales rep at a local shop "Bimmers R Us" claims that BMW OEM Factory rotors are a softer compound as well as BMW OEM Factory pads, and that is what gives BMW braking that specific feel. I have not confirmed this claim and have brought it up here on the forums before. Any words on this claim?

Thanks bros!
I highly doubt that the OE (not OEM) BMW pads or rotors are "softer" or assist in any kind of feel. Of course, I could be wrong about that. The BMW compound is simply a good compromise between cold bite, fade resistance, and noise suppression.

Textar, to my knowledge, is the only true OEM pad (pads without the roundel but identical) for the 330. Not sure about the 325. I think DMAX says Textar makes them for his 328 so probably.

Like I said stick with the big names and you'll be fine. I am using Brembo rotors, ATE pads front, Textar pads rear. (My front Textars squealed so Patrick at BMA exchanged them for the ATEs for me and they've performed perfectly since, even at the track)

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 01-04-2013, 11:01 AM   #5
ZemogFC3S

My Ride: '02 330xi
I wouldn't bother with those ebay parts. There are a ton of vendors on this site to buy cheaply from.
GetBMWparts only sells OE and usually has good prices.

BTW The 8 sets of brake pads I've been though on my 330xi have all been OE and stamped Jurid. I've always been happy with them.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:17 AM   #6
Mango

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZemogFC3S View Post
I wouldn't bother with those ebay parts. There are a ton of vendors on this site to buy cheaply from.

BTW The 8 sets of brake pads I've been though on my 330xi have all been OE and stamped Jurid. I've always been happy with them.
That's weird.

OE pads should be stamped BMW.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 01-04-2013, 11:48 AM   #7
Mesa3077Boogie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZemogFC3S View Post

did those jurid have a great initial bite like new Bimmers?

Old 01-04-2013, 11:52 AM   #8
mave007

My Ride: 330CI
Quote:
Jurid is OEM manufacturer for 330ci front brake pads. The 325 might be using textar for both front and rear. Google or check the forum for info because i believe the 325's and 328's used textar. However Jurid is an awesome company to buy the pads from.
mave007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:59 AM   #9
Mango

Quote:
Originally Posted by mave007 View Post
Jurid is OEM manufacturer for 330ci front brake pads. The 325 might be using textar for both front and rear. Google or check the forum for info because i believe the 325's and 328's used textar. However Jurid is an awesome company to buy the pads from.
If anything, you've got that backwards. I know 100% that Textar mfrs the OE 330 pads.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 01-04-2013, 03:01 PM   #10
mave007

Quote:
If anything, you've got that backwards. I know 100% that Textar mfrs the OE 330 pads.
On my 01 330ci, Jurid pads matched exactly to the oem with the same numbering except does not have bmw logo. Don't know if BMW changed the manufacturer from the 03 which i have read that they've done that in the past on certain 5 series.
Old 01-04-2013, 03:13 PM   #11
mave007

Quote:
Yes. I had pagid's and couldn't deal with the squealing. Threw them out in less than 1k miles and put on the jurids. The pedal felt a bit firmer and no squeal.

Last edited by mave007; 01-04-2013 at 03:16 PM.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:35 AM   #12
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
I'm going to have to recommend ATE. I have some ATE pads that are incredible. Great stopping power, but not annoyingly grabby. They also hardly dust at all compared to my old ones (don't know brand).
WDE46 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:44 AM   #13
Mango

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE46 View Post
I'm going to have to recommend ATE. I have some ATE pads that are incredible. Great stopping power, but not annoyingly grabby. They also hardly dust at all compared to my old ones (don't know brand).
My ATEs dust HORRIBLY.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 01-04-2013, 11:47 AM   #14
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
Quote:
My ATEs dust HORRIBLY.
That's weird. I wonder if the rotor brand has anything to do with it. I doubt that though. Did you get the ATE from BMAParts? That's where I got them.
WDE46 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:47 AM   #15
Mango

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE46 View Post
That's weird. I wonder if the rotor brand has anything to do with it. I doubt that though. Did you get the ATE from BMAParts? That's where I got them.
yes. bma.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 01-04-2013, 11:46 AM   #16
FenderGuy05
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325i
I went with Brembo rotors, and akebono pads. Have the same stopping power that are expected.

I agree with the guys above, I have never bought any mechanical part from ebay, and would stick with one of the vendors listed above. You know what your getting.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:50 AM   #17
mave007

Quote:
eBay Listing

I am looking for OEM BMW Front Brake pads and rotors for my 2003 e46 325i. I have been having dialog with this eBay seller and he claims that the brands TRW and Lucas are BMW OEM pads and rotors with the same compound pads and rotors that original equipment BMW uses.

I am looking for OEM BMW Pads and Rotors and NOT "OE Fitment". They dont have to be BMW stamped but they do have to be the same compounds. I want exactly what was sold on my car out of the factory. As far as my research leads me textar is the only OEM Compound that is exactly the same as factory BMW brake parts.

Any suggestions?
No they're not. The OEM brake pads would be packaged in a bmw logo box. The brand of brake pads that BMW varies based on the series and models, but most of them are either Jurid, Textar, and Pagid.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:52 AM   #18
FenderGuy05
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325i
OE would be packaged in a BMW branded box...OEM would possibly be textar, etc.
Old 01-04-2013, 12:08 PM   #19
Mesa3077Boogie

Ok ok guys this isnt a "which pad do you recommend" type of post. Im merely wondering if anyone can verify if brands "TRW" or "Lucas" are actual BMW OEM pads and NOT merely OE fitment/replacement pads.

And If the answer is "NO", then is *TEXTAR* Pads&Rotors actual BMW OEM equipment. And if the answer to that is "YES" , then is TEXTAR the ONLY Actual BMW OEM Equipment Factory Manufacturer for OEM Pads&Rotors?

Old 01-04-2013, 12:15 PM   #20
Mango

Quote:
Ok ok guys this isnt a "which pad do you recommend" type of post. Im merely wondering if anyone can verify if brands "TRW" or "Lucas" are actual BMW OEM pads and NOT merely OE fitment/replacement pads.

And If the answer is "NO", then is *TEXTAR* Pads&Rotors actual BMW OEM equipment. And if the answer to that is "YES" , then is TEXTAR the ONLY Actual BMW OEM Equipment Factory Manufacturer for OEM Pads&Rotors?
AFAIK, yes. Textar is the ONLY OEM for the E46. However, I believe Jurid, ATE, and Pagid are OEM for the E39, E60, E38, etc. I'm sure any of those brands will be fine and replicate the performance BMW intended.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS