E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-09-2013, 03:11 PM   #1
Born Again

Location: Tis quite a statement. Where do you live - where do we all live? in our minds? our souls? our bodies?
My Ride: She aint much 330ci
Bonds and Clemens Left Out of the Hall of Fame - Agree?

Steroid-tainted stars Barry Bonds, Roger Clemens and Sammy Sosa were denied entry to baseball's Hall of Fame, with voters failing to elect any candidates for only the second time in four decades.

Bonds received just 36.2 percent of the vote, Clemens 37.6 and Sosa 12.5 in totals announced Wednesday by the Hall and the Baseball Writers' Association of America. They were appearing on the ballot for the first time and have up to 14 more years to make it to Cooperstown.

What are your thoughts?

Many of you seem okay with Lance Armstrong and his PED's - why not let these guys make the hall of fame?

best mod to date : OEM grocery bag holder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zell View Post
E46Fanatics - the Honda community of gun owners. Keep staying classy, I'm sure you all are going to be excellent examples of how to keep gun rights from being infringed. :facepalm:
Born Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 03:18 PM   #2
CollinsE90

My Ride: 330i
I believe that steroids are prevalent in all professional sports. I don't think it's fair for MLB to be so strict, allowing authorities and the government to intervene, when the NFL doesn't give a shit about it.

However, I believe that they'll be kept out for a while, and it'll take one to get in before any others do. Look what they did to Charlie Hustle.
Old 01-09-2013, 03:28 PM   #3
IdahoToyo

My Ride: 4WD Tundra / GS500F
Quote:
Originally Posted by CollinsE90 View Post
I believe that steroids are prevalent in all professional sports. I don't think it's fair for MLB to be so strict, allowing authorities and the government to intervene, when the NFL doesn't give a shit about it.

However, I believe that they'll be kept out for a while, and it'll take one to get in before any others do. Look what they did to Charlie Hustle.
I thought Tosh's opinion on it was comical

Quote:
I think pro-athletes should be forced to use steroids. I think we as fans deserve the greatest athletes science can create! Lets go! Anything that will make you run faster, jump higher! I have High-Definition TV! I want my athletes like my video games! Lets go! I could care less if you die at 40. You hate life after sports anyways. I'm doing you a favor
Although that is taking it to an extreme, I've heard this opinion from various individuals involved in sports and tend to agree. Regulation on the aspect seems to be damn near impossible. When new testing is made available doctors and scientists go to new extremes that make for "untraceable" forms of steroids. If the athlete's choose to take performance enhancing substances they do, this way no one is at an "unfair" advantage b/c they are playing by the rules.

At the same time however I am completely understanding of the harm steroids cause on the body and the pressure younger athletes may feel to take them in order to be able to achieve in sports.

The difference between school and life? In school, you're taught a lesson and then given a test. In life, you're given a test that teaches you a lesson.
IdahoToyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 03:33 PM   #4
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
either let the best in this era in or let no one from the era in. We aren't here to pick and choose who used so to me this is the only fair way to do it.
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:24 AM   #5
217Bimmer

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
either let the best in this era in or let no one from the era in. We aren't here to pick and choose who used so to me this is the only fair way to do it.
agree. the HOF voters have become a complete joke. the baseball HOF is a complete joke. it's just a good ole boys club. this era they just so happened to crack down on steroids, so how do you pick and choose who was actually guilty and who just got caught?

i'm a Tiger's fan and think Jack Morris, Alan Trammel, and Sweet Lou Whitaker should all be in the hall.
217Bimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:47 AM   #6
Act of God

My Ride: Beach Cruiser
Send a message via AIM to Act of God
Quote:
Originally Posted by klubeck View Post

Although that is taking it to an extreme, I've heard this opinion from various individuals involved in sports and tend to agree. Regulation on the aspect seems to be damn near impossible. When new testing is made available doctors and scientists go to new extremes that make for "untraceable" forms of steroids. If the athlete's choose to take performance enhancing substances they do, this way no one is at an "unfair" advantage b/c they are playing by the rules.

At the same time however I am completely understanding of the harm steroids cause on the body and the pressure younger athletes may feel to take them in order to be able to achieve in sports.
I agree with your post, but you are off the mark with the last paragraph. There have been zero deaths ever directly attributed to steroid use. In fact, other than minor side effects, responsible steroid use provides a net health benefit.

If you can't stop it, you have to allow it. Otherwise you are just rewarding the cheaters. As for the HOF, the guys technically got caught cheating so there is a valid reason to hold them out. On the other hand, some say that these guys actually saved baseball.

"You don’t burn books because they’re irrelevant. You burn books because you’re terrified that they’re not. You don’t muzzle people who have no audience. You muzzle people only when their voices are amplified far beyond your liking."
Act of God is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 03:22 PM   #7
IdahoToyo

My Ride: 4WD Tundra / GS500F
Quote:
Originally Posted by Act of God View Post
I agree with your post, but you are off the mark with the last paragraph. There have been zero deaths ever directly attributed to steroid use. In fact, other than minor side effects, responsible steroid use provides a net health benefit.
See here goes to show my lack of knowledge on the subject. All I've known about the substances is what I've heard through "attack" type adds and the like. I Shouldn't have made a generality as I did. With my statement I never meant to the extent of death, but however just the possible negative side effects to growing bodies.

The difference between school and life? In school, you're taught a lesson and then given a test. In life, you're given a test that teaches you a lesson.
IdahoToyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 03:51 PM   #8
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmoo32 View Post
Am I alone in not caring, at all, about steroid use? These people are getting paid to entertain us; if they want to ruin their body in order to get attention and be remembered, go for it!
Go watch Bigger stronger faster.

Steroids are hardly even an issue when done correctly, which I'm sure top athletes are doing.
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:11 AM   #9
Act of God

Quote:
See here goes to show my lack of knowledge on the subject. All I've known about the substances is what I've heard through "attack" type adds and the like. I Shouldn't have made a generality as I did. With my statement I never meant to the extent of death, but however just the possible negative side effects to growing bodies.
No harm, just trying to spread the truth to try to counteract the soccer mom misinformation that is always being spread around. If you are ever inclined, look up the real sports with Bryant Gumbel on steroids...they literally lay it out how safe they are with doctors.

Not knowing isn't your fault, we've all been subjected to baseless DARE type propaganda on the subject...but don't worry, keep taking those prescriptions meds everyone!!!!

"You don’t burn books because they’re irrelevant. You burn books because you’re terrified that they’re not. You don’t muzzle people who have no audience. You muzzle people only when their voices are amplified far beyond your liking."
Old 01-09-2013, 03:33 PM   #10
Double Vanos
Loves cookies

My Ride: 2013 VW GTi
Send a message via AIM to Double Vanos
No surprise there i believe this is only the beginning of many players with good numbers not getting in.

2011 135i 6 speed (Gone and missed)
Double Vanos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:01 PM   #11
BreakMyWallet

My Ride: B6 A4/ Mini Cooper S
bonds and clemens will never get in. piazza will end up in, even though hell go in as a met. I'd love to see biggio and bagwell make it next year too.

agree with above opinions, steroids are everywhere, MLB is crazy strict.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:31 AM   #12
cd330
ModZombie Moderator

My Ride: manual stl gry 330i
Quote:
that part of his skit is fvcking hilarious...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakMyWallet View Post
I'd love to see biggio and bagwell make it next year too.
as an astro's fan, I grew up watching them ..... I got to meet them in the clubhouse one time before a game, still have the picture of me with biggio...
Old 01-10-2013, 08:43 AM   #13
Carskibum

My Ride: E90
Send a message via AIM to Carskibum
So those that weren't caught get in? Think both are tools but not sure this is fair.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:58 AM   #14
cowmoo32
drunken science

My Ride: Trek 1.5
Am I alone in not caring, at all, about steroid use? These people are getting paid to entertain us; if they want to ruin their body in order to get attention and be remembered, go for it!

flickher

What's this about a brownie in motion?
cowmoo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:04 AM   #15
Act of God

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmoo32 View Post
Do we get mad when chicks get boob jobs? No. Considering that accidental hospital infections kill more people than guns per year I would say that unnecessary cosmetic surgery is far more dangerous than steroid use...which again hasn't killed one person, ever.

Last edited by Act of God; 01-10-2013 at 09:04 AM.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:04 AM   #16
Carskibum

My Ride: E90
Send a message via AIM to Carskibum
^ Agreed. Not going to go as far as say that Steroid use is net positive though haha.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:14 AM   #17
Act of God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carskibum View Post
^ Agreed. Not going to go as far as say that Steroid use is net positive though haha.
Higher levels of testosterone have a positive impact on cardiovascular function. Low levels of testosterone lead to early heart disease, inhibited sexual function and lethargy. All steroids are testosterone or derivatives of the same.

Plus you look good as fvck!

Old 01-10-2013, 10:01 AM   #18
wild willy

My Ride: Cars
Yep...I think they should be left out. They cheated....Period, end of story. Imagine if Micky Mantle, Babe Ruth, Joe D, or Ted Williams would have had the Juice what they could have done......All of their routine fly balls would have been Home Runs too......

Most of those guys just drank, smoked and fukked constantly when not on the field....
wild willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:04 AM   #19
Rhumb

My Ride: 2001 M3 Coupe
If they were proven to have or admitted cheating to attain their lofty status, then no, they should not be let in. Simple as that.
Rhumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:54 PM   #20
zuckuss00

My Ride: K24Z7
What about Mike Piazza?

Greatest offensive catcher in the history of baseball doesn't make the HOF...

WTF is wrong with these people!

UUC Motorwerks | Vörsteiner | JLeviSW | VMR | DTM-Spec | Euro Dyne | ModBargains | EAS
zuckuss00 is offline   Reply With Quote