E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-10-2013, 02:24 PM   #1
HallisterJ1

My Ride: 2001 325i, 2003 M3
Turn car off, turn it on, extreme shaking.

I have no check engine lights.

Example: You're driving pretty hard through the city but not racing, you stop and park at Vons to grab a drink, it takes about 5min. You get back in the car, start it up and you slowly leave and the car starts shaking like it's going to blow up internally, but if I give it gas it will generally go away. This problem has never stalled or stopped my car, it's just given extreme discomfort and worry on what's wrong in my engine.

For some reason my car likes going down hills, when it goes up a hill it will start doing this shaking thing if I give it too much gas.

Quick Parts History (5< miles)
FCAB's
Fuel Pump/Fuel Filter
Cooling System Overhaul (E46 Mango'd)
OFHG, VCG
Air Filter
ICV Cleaned, TB Cleaned
Spark Plugs/Boots
Slotted/Drilled Centric Rotors/Brakes
Both Pre-o2 Sensors
All Air Boots Replaced

I have an engine mount/tranmission mount/rear differential bushing waiting to be installed.

Any thoughts would be SO helpful.

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-10-2013, 02:30 PM   #2
lsteg

My Ride: 2001 330ci
Sounds like motor mounts to me.
Old 01-10-2013, 02:35 PM   #3
HallisterJ1

If that's the case, that is the best thing I've ever heard considering I'm just waiting to slap that on. Any other thoughts?
Old 01-10-2013, 02:42 PM   #4
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
Highly doubt it's the engine mounts. worn mounts will just make the drivetrain sloppy. sounds like your car is just idling low or misfiring. that means you have vacuum leaks/ICV malfunction or other running problems.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS

Last edited by Mango; 01-10-2013 at 02:42 PM.
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:55 PM   #5
HallisterJ1

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
Highly doubt it's the engine mounts. worn mounts will just make the drivetrain sloppy. sounds like your car is just idling low or misfiring. that means you have vacuum leaks/ICV malfunction or other running problems.
No misfires, had that checked along with cylinder tests. I was scared I blew my head gaskets months ago. I'll check the leaks, and check the ICV.
Old 01-10-2013, 03:03 PM   #6
GATORSHOES2

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
I'm going to +1 the misfires.

It did it once before for me, then again last week.

Car starts up fine, start it up again and it starts shaking horribly.
I misfired on 3 cylinders.

Although for me it's only been when it's cold.
GATORSHOES2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:52 PM   #7
MachRc
E46Fanatic

My Ride: 2003 Technik S1 M3
should clean/check maf sensor, double check coils, and scan for codes even though there is no CEL.

"We've come a long long way together. Through the hard times and the good.
I have to celebrate you baby,.. I have to praise you like I should.."
MachRc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:56 PM   #8
HallisterJ1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MachRc View Post
should clean/check maf sensor, double check coils, and scan for codes even though there is no CEL.
MAF has been cleaned so much, it's the first thing I clean when I rip my air box off. Coils though...I'll check that out tonight.
Old 01-10-2013, 02:55 PM   #9
lsteg

My Ride: 2001 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by HallisterJ1 View Post
I have no check engine lights.

Example: You're driving pretty hard through the city but not racing, you stop and park at Vons to grab a drink, it takes about 5min. You get back in the car, start it up and you slowly leave and the car starts shaking like it's going to blow up internally, but if I give it gas it will generally go away. This problem has never stalled or stopped my car, it's just given extreme discomfort and worry on what's wrong in my engine.

For some reason my car likes going down hills, when it goes up a hill it will start doing this shaking thing if I give it too much gas.

Quick Parts History (5< miles)
FCAB's
Fuel Pump/Fuel Filter
Cooling System Overhaul (E46 Mango'd)
OFHG, VCG
Air Filter
ICV Cleaned, TB Cleaned
Spark Plugs/Boots
Slotted/Drilled Centric Rotors/Brakes
Both Pre-o2 Sensors
All Air Boots Replaced

I have an engine mount/tranmission mount/rear differential bushing waiting to be installed.

Any thoughts would be SO helpful.
missed that part.
Old 01-10-2013, 03:09 PM   #10
Mango
A full five stars, son

Misfires won't always show as a CEL especially if it's only the first time it's happened. How long has this been going on OP?

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 01-10-2013, 03:35 PM   #11
Andy2108

My Ride: E46 M3, '67 Cobra
cam position sensor?
Andy2108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:27 PM   #12
MachRc
E46Fanatic

My Ride: 2003 Technik S1 M3
^^ thats a likely culprit also, when my cps went bad, I had hard time keeping the engine from stalling. I distinctly remember reving while the revs dropped stalled the car.

"We've come a long long way together. Through the hard times and the good.
I have to celebrate you baby,.. I have to praise you like I should.."
MachRc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:22 PM   #13
HallisterJ1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MachRc View Post
^^ thats a likely culprit also, when my cps went bad, I had hard time keeping the engine from stalling. I distinctly remember reving while the revs dropped stalled the car.
The picture with more codes was taken 10/11/12, and the one with less and after TB, ICV, DISA cleanings was taken last month, 12/15/12.

I always fill my car up, never letting it get to less then 1/4. I've never seafoamed or done fuel injection cleaner, maybe I should?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2012-10-05 at 11.50.07 PM.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	120.5 KB
ID:	485525   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2012-12-12 at 8.43.32 PM.png
Views:	31
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	485526  

Last edited by HallisterJ1; 01-10-2013 at 07:22 PM. Reason: Incomplete
HallisterJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:57 PM   #14
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
How much gas do you have in your car? Sending units go bad...and if you're not filling the tank up, you could be short when gas drops below half and the sending unit needs to deliver gas to right side of tank with pump? Maybe?

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:59 PM   #15
Andy2108

My Ride: E46 M3, '67 Cobra
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
How much gas do you have in your car? Sending units go bad...and if you're not filling the tank up, you could be short when gas drops below half and the sending unit needs to deliver gas to right side of tank with pump? Maybe?
Or low fuel pressure. pump going bad.
Andy2108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:04 PM   #16
dmax

He did the fuel pump and filter...so I was thinking about fuel delivery from left to right lobe...the sending unit fails too. But, unless it can fail 'soft' or unless OP never fills up his tank, that wouldn't explain his symptoms if they've been persistent for a while...and it sounds like they have been.

OP...as mentioned, scan for codes. The car will have something recorded about what you've been experiencing.

Oh, and the other thing is that if any of this work you did was prior to these symptoms, and you got them shortly thereafter, consider an issue with aftermarket parts, especially electronic things. You didn't happen to do something else prior that you don't think is in any way related, and thus didn't mention it, did you?

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
Old 01-10-2013, 07:28 PM   #17
HallisterJ1

Quote:
He did the fuel pump and filter...so I was thinking about fuel delivery from left to right lobe...the sending unit fails too. But, unless it can fail 'soft' or unless OP never fills up his tank, that wouldn't explain his symptoms if they've been persistent for a while...and it sounds like they have been.

OP...as mentioned, scan for codes. The car will have something recorded about what you've been experiencing.

Oh, and the other thing is that if any of this work you did was prior to these symptoms, and you got them shortly thereafter, consider an issue with aftermarket parts, especially electronic things. You didn't happen to do something else prior that you don't think is in any way related, and thus didn't mention it, did you?
Mentioned everything, well not exactly...everything's been kept OEM on this car, except Lemforder for FCAB (Shop Recommended)

Angel Eyes 81-LED
Carbon Fiber Emblems

My battery is old though, I'll be replacing it in a bit.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:33 PM   #18
dmax

Quote:
Mentioned everything, well not exactly...everything's been kept OEM on this car, except Lemforder for FCAB (Shop Recommended)

Angel Eyes 81-LED
Carbon Fiber Emblems

...and if it's not the exhaust flap, then I'm betting on battery.

Say you have a known low battery...drive it a bit to the store. Start it up...taking the last little bit of reserve the car has...and maybe your battery is low because the alt is delivering weaker voltage.

Do a cluster test (#9) for voltage both off and on. Check bat connections, grounds...

A recent set

Old 01-10-2013, 11:28 PM   #19
HallisterJ1

Quote:
...and if it's not the exhaust flap, then I'm betting on battery.

Say you have a known low battery...drive it a bit to the store. Start it up...taking the last little bit of reserve the car has...and maybe your battery is low because the alt is delivering weaker voltage.

Do a cluster test (#9) for voltage both off and on. Check bat connections, grounds...
Going to get a battery in the morning, nothing worked. Boots are all well connected, still brand new. ICV was clicking normally as it should, MAF re-cleaned...

I get it WORST when I'm on the freeway and it comes to dead stop in heavy traffic and I'm going 1-4mph, and then it'll start shaking and eventually get so bad the car sounds like its housing a jet engine, but it'll never stall or give me RPM problems, and it seems to go away once I drive off and maintain 60mph+ for a while.

As for the exhaust problem...would getting a new exhaust fix this problem? I was looking at getting one anyway.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:16 AM   #20
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:

Angel Eyes 81-LED
Carbon Fiber Emblems

Uhh... Lemforder IS OEM.

Genuine BMW is OE.

Do not get those terms mixed up.

And what is this forum saying? Exhaust flap causing stalls? battery causing stalls?? huh?? how???

OP: misfire and/or vacuum leak. When you experience these vibrations, take note at what your RPMs are and report back. Are they dipping around 500 RPM and below?

OVER A MILLION VIEWS