E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-12-2013, 01:21 AM   #1
Lessogy

My Ride: 2000bmw 323ci
BMW oil vs other oils

Okay, I've read many forums about which oil I should use or which one are the best for my car(2000 323ci), but I've never gotten a straight answer from any of them. So, my question is: Which oil would be best for my car, it's says: use BMW 5w30 high performance Oil only on my engine. But I've read people using mobil 1 ow40? Or castrol edge 5w30? Which oil and oil weight would be the best for my car beside the BMW oil? Or is that the best oil to use on my car?
Lessogy is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-12-2013, 04:11 PM   #2
325isk

My Ride: 325i
In before everybody rips you a new one your welcome And just so u know it doesn't really matter which oil you use as long as its BMW ll-01 approved personally I use Mobil 1 synthetic 5-30 and I've stuck with that with no problems it's not ll-01 approved one (0-40) but its more readily available in my area and cheaper and I've had no problems so take what you will from that
And link for your convenience http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...ngineOils.aspx

Last edited by 325isk; 01-12-2013 at 04:15 PM.
325isk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 04:41 PM   #3
Sansho
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 2001 325i
As 325isk pointed out, any of the LL01 BMW-approved oils on their web site will work. I use BMW approved Mobil 1 0-40w, because I like 0 weight in the winter and 40 weight in the summer, and I don't like to change oil seasonally (versus by mileage).

As an aside (and not to razz on you), I see many posts on different forums like this .... "I've read everything there is to read, but none answer my unique question, which is (something basic)."
Old 01-14-2013, 08:55 AM   #4
college46

My Ride: Alpine White
how have you never gotten a straight answer? use your brain a little more and read. Jesus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sansho View Post
I see many posts on different forums like this .... "I've read everything there is to read, but none answer my unique question, which is (something basic)."
All that says is: "I didn't actually read the threads, just glanced and wasn't able to dissect the information that I didn't fully understand anyways so all of you can do the work."

This:

"Your engine was designed to operate with oil in a certain viscosity range, which is a kV100 of roughly between 11.3 cSt and 14.5 cSt and an HTHS of at least 3.5 mPas @ 150C. If you deviate too much from that range, your engine will wear prematurely, especially if you drive it hard.

The kV100 range for an SAE 30 oil is 9.3 to <12.5 cSt and for an SAE 40 range it's 12.5 to <16.3 range. The minimum HTHS requirement for both ranges is 2.9.

So it should be obvious that merely buying a 5W-30 or 5W-40 oil does not guarantee your oil will be within the correct viscosity range for your car. Furthermore, merely buying an API SJ, SL, or SM oil does not guarantee your oil will be in the correct viscosity range. If you buy an ACEA A3 oil, you can at least be sure you'll have the correct HTHS, but that's about it.

So what's the easiest way to make sure you've got the correct oil for your car. Use a BMW LL-01, LL-04, or even LL-98 if you've got a M52TU.

As for the proposition "I'm also going to choose an oil based on current (2008) oil specs and capabilities rather than relying on that old partially complete list BMW put together in 2001 (LL-01)", that's just pure inanity from a well known ignoramus.

If you actually want to learn something about the appropriate oil for your car, follow the "Oil" link below in the sig. If all you want to do blather on about how you've seen through the conspiracy the BMW/neocon/freemason cabal has foisted upon the sheeple, by all means carry on."

http://api.viglink.com/api/click?for...13581754251262

Last edited by college46; 01-14-2013 at 09:00 AM.
college46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:25 PM   #5
SHOoff11

My Ride: 2006 Honda Civic Si
Just buy the BMW oil, I can get 7qts and a filter for about $75, and I don't have to give it a second thought.

2006 Honda Civic Si Coupe Nighthawk Black Pearl/Black

1995 Silver Frost/Gray Taurus SHO (sold)

1999 BMW 328i Sedan Alpine White/Sand (sold)
SHOoff11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:22 PM   #6
limpiabota809

My Ride: 330 XI
Quote:
Originally Posted by 325isk View Post
In before everybody rips you a new one your welcome And just so u know it doesn't really matter which oil you use as long as its BMW ll-01 approved personally I use Mobil 1 synthetic 5-30 and I've stuck with that with no problems it's not ll-01 approved one (0-40) but its more readily available in my area and cheaper and I've had no problems so take what you will from that
And link for your convenience http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...ngineOils.aspx
Great info!!!
Old 01-17-2013, 01:32 PM   #7
mkodama

BMW LL-01 approved oils(will say on the back of the bottle) if you want to run the full BMW service intervals as counted down on your instrument cluster; roughly 15,000 miles.

Any old 5W-30 will work fine if you want to do 3000 mile oil change intervals, though that costs quite a bit more in parts, time, and labor than using the BMW approved stuff.

Or you could do like what a lot of people do on this forum and use BMW approved oil for shorter than standard intervals.

mkodama is offline   Reply With Quote