E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Health & Fitness

Health & Fitness
Discuss any topics related to heath and fitness here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-14-2013, 10:53 PM   #1
SPQR ROMAN SPQR

My Ride: 2004 325ci
Form Checks! Please Critique

Hey fanatics! I reached my goal of gaining 20 lbs in a year!!!!! First new years resolution i actually completed. Went from 5 8'' 130lb to 150lb with a body fat % of 12. I have now been squatting and deadlifting for about a year and still working some kinks out with form and I want to start to put the weight on.

I was a "bro" routine guy in my early years in college therefore my numbers are a bit out of whack. I can do a 5x5 bench of 165lb but only doing 5x5 squat at 165lbs and deadlift at 185lbs. Trying to improve the last 2 lifts.

I attached a video of my last squat set(unfortunately prob my worst). Anyone got any advice? Ppl have commented that my stance is to wide and I feel that i lean to much forward and not enough on my heels.

Ima try to upload a deadlift video later this week since I feel I really need help with it.

Looking for help and criticism!

youtube link:

Last edited by SPQR ROMAN SPQR; 01-14-2013 at 10:54 PM.
SPQR ROMAN SPQR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:14 PM   #2
BreakMyWallet

My Ride: B6 A4/ Mini Cooper S
Yes, you lean too far forward and are not driving through your heels. Keep your chest up.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:39 AM   #3
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
you're leabing forward a lot on the last few reps. Focus on pushing throught the hips and heels and sitting your butt back a bit and keeping your chest up. I know when I lean forward it's because I rush the lift much like you. Let the legs do the work. Don't lift with the back like you are on these reps.
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:14 AM   #4
dabears

My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
also, make sure you focus on keeping your knees out, this will do wonders for your entire alignment. You may be having a more than needed wide stance to compensate
Old 01-15-2013, 05:15 PM   #5
SPQR ROMAN SPQR

thanks guys for the advice and tips. Really appreciate it. I will try to sit further back when i go down and really focus on driving from heels.

When you all say knees out, ur knee follows the line of ur toes yes? the idea being u dont want ur knees to buckle inwards. So could i shorten the stance up and then point the toes out a bit wider so my knees go out a bit more but a narrow the stance a couple inches? would that help be more stable with weight more positioned on the heels?
Old 01-15-2013, 05:18 PM   #6
dabears

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPQR ROMAN SPQR View Post
thanks guys for the advice and tips. Really appreciate it. I will try to sit further back when i go down and really focus on driving from heels.

When you all say knees out, ur knee follows the line of ur toes yes? the idea being u dont want ur knees to buckle inwards. So could i shorten the stance up and then point the toes out a bit wider so my knees go out a bit more but a narrow the stance a couple inches? would that help be more stable with weight more positioned on the heels?
Personally I find there is a sweet spot for myself, my feet are just slightly wider apart than shoulder width and my toes are pointed slightly outwards... exactly how you described. Give it a try and see how you feel, it may be uncomfortable at first. And I believe it should allow you to be more stable and rigid yes, but its one of many things to make sure of!
Old 01-16-2013, 08:14 PM   #7
SPQR ROMAN SPQR

thanks guys for all the squat tips. Ill use em on friday. I dead lifted today and have another form check vid for you guys. I usually do about 165 185 but today felt good and I was told ive been taking it to easy so I tried sets of 5 with 135 185 225 235. The video is my first ever attempt at 5 reps at 225.

How does the form look? Also for dl how sore are u guys the following day? I can physically do the lifts heavier than i have in the past but i shy away because it takes me 2-3 days to be "normal". Im wondering basically how to tell between sore muscles from good workout vs, back pain issues. The day of is not bad after about an hour leaving the gym. The next day however its really sore to bend over and touch my toes etc. I can still do full range of motion its just all very tight.

video link:
thanks again fanatics!
Old 01-17-2013, 12:04 AM   #8
B_Cyrus
Banned User

My Ride: Malfouf
I wont comment on the squats, since most posters gave good advice, but watch yourself in the deadlift. Ask yourself, does your body move in one fluid motion? If you watch closely, you see that your butt comes straight up and you basically negate anything you would gain from your initial squat and end up using much of your back. Your body should move all together as one.

Throw your pride to the curb on weight. Today I did hang cleans with the bar because my form was off. Take your time, OP, and I'm glad you are posting these videos!
B_Cyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:19 AM   #9
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPQR ROMAN SPQR View Post
thanks guys for all the squat tips. Ill use em on friday. I dead lifted today and have another form check vid for you guys. I usually do about 165 185 but today felt good and I was told ive been taking it to easy so I tried sets of 5 with 135 185 225 235. The video is my first ever attempt at 5 reps at 225.

How does the form look? Also for dl how sore are u guys the following day? I can physically do the lifts heavier than i have in the past but i shy away because it takes me 2-3 days to be "normal". Im wondering basically how to tell between sore muscles from good workout vs, back pain issues. The day of is not bad after about an hour leaving the gym. The next day however its really sore to bend over and touch my toes etc. I can still do full range of motion its just all very tight.

video link:
thanks again fanatics!
Your hips are rising too fast. Get the lift off the floor and then raise up. Other than that it's pretty good. Focus on chest up, tight ass, lats, and keep the bar a little closer to your shins. We can all dissect one anothers lifts to the point of making things even more messed up that it isn't even worth it. Sometimes I see form check videos and the things people say just make it worse and harder to understand. Make these little changes and you'll be fine. I tend to do the same thing with my hips because we rush to get the weight up. Just be a little more patient.

Last edited by DylloS; 01-17-2013 at 09:21 AM.
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:46 AM   #10
dabears

Sollys right, don't want to dissect too much... theres always things to focus on though.

Heres what I do, it may or may not help you:

I start with placing my feet about shoulder width apart, and the bar should "cut" them into two equal halfs, one half in front of the bar, one half behind the bar. I bend at the hips and get my grip tight, then lower at the hips. At this point your shins should be comfortably touching the bar, back straight, chest out, head up. From your video, your start looks pretty good!

Squeeze your whole body... engage your lats, core, hamstrings, forearms, grip. Then starting at the hips, try and drive your heels into the ground as you "stand up" with the bar. It should stay tight to your body throughout the lift. When you reach lockout at the top, try and squeeze your shoulder blades together, really getting that tension throughout the back. On the way down, make sure you start to "sit" back down with your hips first with a slight bend in the knees, once the bar has travelled past the knees they can bend all the way back down until weight is on the floor.

Two standouts from the video was the issue b_cyrus mentioned, where your hips come up but nothing else does. And just be careful when lowering the weight back down, don't bend your knees too much initially or the bar will hit them.

As far as being sore, the more you deadlift the less sore you will get. Theres a big difference between an injury pain and general soreness though, however usually you'd feel the injury in the gym once it happened, not all of a sudden the day after (sounds like DOMS)