E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Political Talk

Political Talk
You may discuss anything regarding politics in this forum ONLY. If you cannot respect others opinions, your access to this forum will be removed.

Old 01-18-2013, 08:52 AM   #1
joeski3d

My Ride: 2000 323i
A BIG part of the gun problem...

More than half of the firearms traced in crimes come from just 1 percent of the nation's licensed gun stores, but federal agents rarely check to make sure these stores are complying with gun laws, a new study finds.

According to data from the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms, approximately 1 percent of the nation's gun stores are the source of 57 percent of the firearms traced to crimes. It took the Washington-based lobbyist group Americans for Gun Safety six years and three lawsuits to get the names of the gun stores that sell a disproportionate number of the guns traced to crimes.

The group's study found that just 120 dealers in 22 states sold nearly 55,000 guns linked to crime in five years.

read more:
http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/story?id=129253&page=1

How Tiahrt Harms Law Enforcement

While some components of the Tiahrt Amendments were improved in 2007 and 2009, several damaging provisions continue to tie the hands of law enforcement.

NICS background check records are still destroyed within 24 hours:
The Tiahrt Amendments require the Justice Department to destroy the record of a buyer whose NICS background check was approved within 24 hours. This makes it harder to catch law-breaking gun dealers who falsify their records, and it makes it more difficult to identify and track straw purchasers who buy guns on behalf of criminals who wouldn't be able to pass a background check.

ATF still does not have the power to require dealer inventory checks to detect lost and stolen guns:

While dealers must notify ATF if they discover that guns from their inventories have been lost or stolen, the Tiahrt Amendments prevent ATF from requiring gun dealers to conduct annual physical inventory checks to detect losses and thefts. ATF reported that in 2007 it found 30,000 guns missing from dealer inventories based on its inspection of just 9.3% of gun dealers.

State and local authorities are still restricted from using trace data to fully investigate corrupt gun dealers and traffickers:
While the FY 2010 appropriations language restores full access to crime gun trace data for state and local law enforcement, the Tiahrt Amendments continue to restrict what state and local law enforcement can do with trace data they have gathered. For example, state and local law enforcement are still prohibited from using trace data in civil proceedings to suspend or revoke the license of a gun dealer who was caught breaking the law.

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/we...the-boom---atf

Ballbusters Inc.

DISCLAIMER: No balls were physically hurt during the reading of this post. Should redness and/or swelling occur consult your gynecologist immediately.

Last edited by joeski3d; 01-18-2013 at 09:04 AM.
joeski3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:56 AM   #2
mistrzmiasta

My Ride: GLK350,ML63, Duc1098
the BIGGEST gun problem is all the gun threads.
mistrzmiasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:57 AM   #3
joeski3d

Restricting the AFT from doing their F part of the job... yea. A BIG part of the "gun problem" because it restricts their ability to track illegal weapons. If you're a responsible gun owner you should be outraged. We wouldn't be having this discussion if the AFT could do what it was designed to do.

Ballbusters Inc.

DISCLAIMER: No balls were physically hurt during the reading of this post. Should redness and/or swelling occur consult your gynecologist immediately.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:23 AM   #4
kaput

My Ride: 2002 M3 SMG
Send a message via AIM to kaput
We are outraged... At terms like "illegal weapon" and "clips"/

But seriously, it bothers me, but the fact is that all this gun talk is only hurting the legal guys, and to be honest nothing will change unless every scary black rifle with barrel shrouds and high cap clips are off the streets. Ban "cop killers" and full autos as well.

Maybe we punish those using weapons in a crime more severely than those that do not? Sounds like a solid plan. go after the guys who use the guns to hurt people, not the people that do not. Novel idea, I know.

2002 M3
kaput is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:34 AM   #5
joeski3d

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaput View Post
But seriously, it bothers me, but the fact is that all this gun talk is only hurting the legal guys, and to be honest nothing will change unless every scary black rifle with barrel shrouds and high cap clips are off the streets. Ban "cop killers" and full autos as well.
I know the difference and it doesn't take much to illustrate it and get the information out there today. Making guns black doesn't make them deadlier. Besides, it should be well known by most that hand guns are the weapon of choice for criminal activity. If there were fewer illegal guns on the streets it's hard to deny that there would be fewer gun related homicides. Let them find other means of offing the subject of their wrath. Fewer gun related incidents means less scrutiny on the whole gun community. Will homicides go down? Probably not... but it won't be as much a gun issue if the ATF could function properly.

Quote:
Maybe we punish those using weapons in a crime more severely than those that do not? Sounds like a solid plan. go after the guys who use the guns to hurt people, not the people that do not. Novel idea, I know.
And go after the guys that facilitate the traceless guns as well. People will be far less prone to use something for crime if that something can be traced directly to them.

Ballbusters Inc.

Last edited by joeski3d; 01-18-2013 at 09:38 AM.
Old 01-18-2013, 12:53 PM   #6
NFRs2000nyc

My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeski3d View Post
I know the difference and it doesn't take much to illustrate it and get the information out there today. Making guns black doesn't make them deadlier. Besides, it should be well known by most that hand guns are the weapon of choice for criminal activity. If there were fewer illegal guns on the streets it's hard to deny that there would be fewer gun related homicides. Let them find other means of offing the subject of their wrath. Fewer gun related incidents means less scrutiny on the whole gun community. Will homicides go down? Probably not... but it won't be as much a gun issue if the ATF could function properly.

And go after the guys that facilitate the traceless guns as well. People will be far less prone to use something for crime if that something can be traced directly to them.
His point is simple. There is no such thing as an illegal gun. A gun at a gun store is legal. All guns (unless we are talking about one snuck in through mexico with the serial number filed down) at gun stores start out as legal. Many are stolen, etc etc. There is no way to have "fewer" illegal guns, since all legal guns have the opportunity to be used in illegal activities by people breaking the law.
Old 01-18-2013, 12:57 PM   #7
JonJon
Tinfoilhatatarian

My Ride: .
Send a message via AIM to JonJon
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
All guns (unless we are talking about one snuck in through mexico with the serial number filed down)
Those are legal too.

The ACT or POSSESSION of removing a serial number is illegal, not the gun. Objects can't commit crimes.
Some argue semantics but it's an important point. Crimes and laws apply to people, not objects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'busa View Post
I agree with JonJon.

Last edited by JonJon; 01-18-2013 at 12:58 PM.
JonJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:03 PM   #8
NFRs2000nyc

My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonJon View Post
Those are legal too.

The ACT or POSSESSION of removing a serial number is illegal, not the gun. Objects can't commit crimes.
Some argue semantics but it's an important point. Crimes and laws apply to people, not objects.
Point taken.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:26 AM   #9
Act of God

My Ride: 3.5 Liters of fury
Send a message via AIM to Act of God
"illegal" weapons? lulz

“They have the guns and therefore we are for peace and for reformation through the ballot. When we have the guns then it will be through the bullet.” - Saul Alinsky, quoting Lenin
Act of God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:30 AM   #10
JonJon
Tinfoilhatatarian

The biggest problem is that the majority of people are clueless about this stuff.

Quote:
More than half of the firearms traced in crimes come from just 1 percent of the nation's licensed gun stores, but federal agents rarely check to make sure these stores are complying with gun laws, a new study finds.
Think about the above statement.............
Unless people are making their guns from spare parts in their garage, nearly EVERY SINGLE GUN comes from a "licensed gun store". Where else would they come from? You think I can roll up to a Glock factory and grab a gun off the assembly line?

Come on people... THINK! Stop reading this liberal crap and educate yourself. I know you're smarter than to read a headline. Look deeper

Quote:
I agree with JonJon.

Last edited by JonJon; 01-18-2013 at 09:32 AM.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:34 AM   #11
'busa

My Ride: E90 335i (sold)
Quote:
The biggest problem is that the majority of people are clueless about this stuff.

Unless people are making their guns from spare parts in their garage, nearly EVERY SINGLE GUN comes from a "licensed gun store". Where else would they come from? You think I can roll up to a Glock factory and grab a gun off the assembly line?

Come on people... THINK! Stop reading this liberal crap and educate yourself. I know you're smarter than to read a headline. Look deeper
I don't think you addressed the point of the OP at all.

Here comes Joe with a perfectly reasonable post and all he gets from JJ and the usual suspects is frothing at the mouth. You make me want to take your guns away, JJ!

Last edited by 'busa; 01-18-2013 at 09:35 AM.
'busa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:11 PM   #12
MrWesson

My Ride: 01 330CI/09 328i
Quote:
I don't think you addressed the point of the OP at all.

Here comes Joe with a perfectly reasonable post and all he gets from JJ and the usual suspects is frothing at the mouth. You make me want to take your guns away, JJ!

Come get em bud.
MrWesson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:14 PM   #13
'busa

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWesson View Post
Come get em bud.
The fact that you take a joke as a threat speaks volumes about the mindset here. No, I don't want to take your guns away and no, I won't give you a gun fight that you probably have wet dreams about...

The fact that your "Come get em bud" bravado stems from the possession of weapons is sad.

Last edited by 'busa; 01-18-2013 at 01:14 PM.
'busa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:36 AM   #14
joeski3d

Quote:

The problem is that the AFT can't actually do anything to trace the weapons anymore. This isn't "liberal crap". This is a massive loophole that needs to be remedied if we wish to preserve our 2nd amendment rights.

Ballbusters Inc.

Old 01-18-2013, 09:37 AM   #15
kaput

My Ride: 2002 M3 SMG
Send a message via AIM to kaput
Quote:
The problem is that the AFT can't actually do anything to trace the weapons anymore. This isn't "liberal crap". This is a massive loophole that needs to be remedied if we wish to preserve our 2nd amendment rights.
What would tracing weapons to the original owner actually do? So a guy uses a gun once owned by you to kill a person you have never met. You reported the gun stolen 4 years ago, and the murder took place in Arizona.

what did the phone call to you actually help to do except allow the police probable cause to enter your home, search it and ask questions?

Serious question here.

2002 M3
kaput is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:40 AM   #16
joeski3d

Quote:
What would tracing weapons to the original owner actually do? So a guy uses a gun once owned by you to kill a person you have never met. You reported the gun stolen 4 years ago, and the murder took place in Arizona.

what did the phone call to you actually help to do except allow the police probable cause to enter your home, search it and ask questions?

Serious question here.
It won't end questionable gun sources for sure... but it would be a great start. And I believe a responsible gun owner would report a stolen gun as soon as the theft was realized.

Ballbusters Inc.

Old 01-18-2013, 09:42 AM   #17
JonJon
Tinfoilhatatarian

Quote:
I don't think you addressed the point of the OP at all
Here comes Joe with a perfectly reasonable post and all he gets from JJ and the usual suspects is frothing at the mouth.
I addressed it. The story is hyperbole and inaccurately leading people to a false conclusion. Type of gun sales is not the cause of crime nor the problem.

Quote:
You make me want to take your guns away, JJ!
Well, you're not alone. Millions are with you on that agenda. Come and gettem

Quote:
Your statement is a complete oxymoron and frankly hilarious to me. We must further infringe on peoples 2nd Amendment rights IN ORDER TO preserve them? I mean come one... think about that wording.

I mean come on... is this thing on or what? Why does the ATF need to trace anything? They certainly didn't care about tracing all the guns they gave to Mex that ended up killing Americans.

What you call a "loophole" I call "Legal". There are no such things as loopholes nor are there any such things as Assault Weapons. These are politically made up terms to fit an agenda.

Quote:
I agree with JonJon.

Last edited by JonJon; 01-18-2013 at 09:47 AM.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:46 AM   #18
joeski3d

Whatever JonJon. **** it. Guns for everyone! No questions asked.

Ballbusters Inc.

Old 01-18-2013, 09:47 AM   #19
'busa

Quote:
Whatever JonJon. **** it. Guns for everyone! No questions asked.
Doesn't it disillusion you entirely?
Old 01-18-2013, 09:56 AM   #20
joeski3d

Quote:
Doesn't it disillusion you entirely?
It's a bit mystifying really. People get upset when others suggest we take bigger steps in being responsible for things that others tend to misuse to do great harm to others... then balk at obvious remedies to major gaps in the system.

I just can't find the logic behind JJ's criticism here.

Ballbusters Inc.