E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-22-2013, 12:16 PM   #1
hizhinezz
Outlier

My Ride: 01 330i
Best amp and setup for sub and HK audio

I have found numerous threads with some of this info, but forgive me for asking anew: (if you know the best thread please just link, much appreciated)

I am going with JL Audio setup as clearly is preferred fro easy install... adding sub to stock HK system in 2001 330.

1. What do people think is the best JL audio amp for pairing with a JL W1 12" Subwoofer?

2. What is the ideal setup in terms of install/wire placement? (insert link, lol)

3. What do people see as ideal setup for optimal sound?

Basically just looking for opinions on which JL amp to go with, then the links to the install/setup info... couldn't find one specific to this model...

Thanks!

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:14 PM   #2
hizhinezz
Outlier

nobody?
Old 01-26-2013, 09:15 PM   #3
Arfboy

My Ride: 04 M3
1. I doubt you'll see much difference in the various JL amps in terms of SQ and that's not a power-hungry sub, so I'd just go with the XD300/1 (assuming you're set on JL amps).

2. Your wire placement would really depend on where you mount your sub enclosure and amp. However, it shouldn't be too much work, seeing as how all the wiring is already in your trunk. You'll just tap into the HK amp harness for your remote and for the signal out to a line out converter. I'll PM you a few links to get you started.

3. There's only so much you can do with the stock setup without gutting it and starting from scratch. A simple amp/sub addition will help fill in the lower end nicely, but you're still limited by the factory system components.
Arfboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 04:30 PM   #4
Grande D

My Ride: Whiiiite BMW!
What he said ^^
dont listen to these fuQ faces... just go to a junk yard and get a used complete left rear end. i cracked my left rear control arm on the highway because i was driving w/o shocks... lol! ***Was too busy caking on these bitches instead of taking care my car!***

Last edited by Grande D; 01-27-2013 at 04:30 PM.
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:43 AM   #5
eJack

My Ride: 2004 330Ci ZHP
I have a 500/1 sub amp with a 300/2 stacked with their STACK-KIT-2. The STACK-KIT-2 is unfortunately discontinued but their -3 kit should easily be used with spacers in between. The BMW Business CD interfaces directly quite nicely with the JL audio amps and sounds fabulous. I'm sorry I did not cut the harness and do this many years ago. The HK amp is shameful.

Happy Listening!

BMW Performance Style 269 Wheels
BMW Performance Carbon Fiber Strut Brace
THIEL Audio PowerPlane Loudspeakers
THIEL Audio 12" Subwoofer
JL Audio Slash 300/2v2 Stereo Amplifier
JL Audio Slash 500/1v2 Sub Amplifier
USA Spec PA-12 iPod Interface
BMW Business CD stock head unit - yes it sounds great once you disconnect that garbage H/K amp!
eJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 01:12 PM   #6
hizhinezz
Outlier

I got a used JL 500 amp and will attempt install this weekend. Thanks for all the helpful info (especially arfboy for sending links etc). Cannot wait for bass in face.