E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld

Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-25-2013, 10:45 PM   #1
TGM3

My Ride: 2002 LSB M3
Anyone have good luck with Status Gruppe coilovers?

just wondering if anyone has Status Gruppe suspension on there M3, and they had any good or bad reviews on it also some pics would be nice. Thanks

[IMG]http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/015...24x1024.jpg?38[/IMG][/IMG]

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=849346

TGM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:02 AM   #2
TGM3

Bump!

Old 01-28-2013, 12:54 AM   #3
rcsummers

My Ride: M3
i have them and love them. i've put about 12,000 miles on them too. ask me anything.

Last edited by rcsummers; 01-28-2013 at 12:54 AM.
rcsummers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 01:32 PM   #4
tacomeat1

My Ride: '05 M3 Carbon Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsummers View Post
i have them and love them. i've put about 12,000 miles on them too. ask me anything.
You have any weird noises or anything else or all smooth sailing? Trying to decide between the SGTs and the TC Klines. TCK is probably a better option for the track, but I'll be street 95% of the time and not sure they're worth the extra $1.000 or so for what I'm gonna be doing.
tacomeat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 10:10 PM   #5
rcsummers

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomeat1 View Post
You have any weird noises or anything else or all smooth sailing? Trying to decide between the SGTs and the TC Klines. TCK is probably a better option for the track, but I'll be street 95% of the time and not sure they're worth the extra $1.000 or so for what I'm gonna be doing.

TC Kline are definitely a better track coilover. But for the street and occiasionally auto-x / track days, go with the status gruppe tuning coils. they're less expensive, great quality, and a lifetime warranty.

as far as noises, all coilovers are going to make a little bit more noise than stock, but other than that, they've been squeak/creak free.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:19 PM   #6
JA89M3

My Ride: E46 M3
Quote:
TC Kline are definitely a better track coilover. But for the street and occiasionally auto-x / track days, go with the status gruppe tuning coils. they're less expensive, great quality, and a lifetime warranty.

as far as noises, all coilovers are going to make a little bit more noise than stock, but other than that, they've been squeak/creak free.
Beautiful looking M3, if I may say. Glad to hear someone who has personal experience with the coilover's give their opinion. I'm sold
JA89M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 03:43 PM   #7
KCLARK

My Ride: 2002 AW/Cinn M3
Need a comparison on the STG coils to KW V1's, any thing to chime about the two im all ears and eyes cuz im clueless on which one to get, and I need to pull the trigger ASAP!
Old 01-28-2013, 01:31 AM   #8
TGM3

Quote:
Just wanted to know how the build quality is even though status gruppe builds some good ****. And also how good is the ride quality because where I live are some really crappy roads.

Old 01-28-2013, 09:44 AM   #9
rcsummers

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGM3 View Post
Just wanted to know how the build quality is even though status gruppe builds some good ****. And also how good is the ride quality because where I live are some really crappy roads.
i live in NJ and the roads are **** too. The ride is great. Play with the dampening for a little bit and find where you like it. i would recommend the 7/7 or 8/8 spring rate combo.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:37 AM   #10
TGM3

thanks for the great info, i looked at your build thread car looks sweet with this suspension and the work wheels! Also are you really running 19x11's on your car?

Old 01-28-2013, 12:20 PM   #11
rcsummers

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGM3 View Post
thanks for the great info, i looked at your build thread car looks sweet with this suspension and the work wheels! Also are you really running 19x11's on your car?
Thanks... and yes. 19x11 with a 285 in the rear.

Feel free to let me know if you have any other questions about the coils.
Old 08-29-2013, 04:13 PM   #12
rcsummers

Status Gruppe have more adjustablilty versus the KW v1, more dampening and ride height adjustment.
Old 08-30-2013, 06:24 AM   #13
KCLARK

My Ride: 2002 AW/Cinn M3
Quote:
Status Gruppe have more adjustablilty versus the KW v1, more dampening and ride height adjustment.
Did you get the swift spring upgrade with yours, dude at SGT swears by them.
Plus I was reading around on other forums where members state swift springs are on of the best linear springs out there. Im saying in my head why does SGT even have that as a option, just sell the coils with swift springs and be top notch!
I havent read enough on SGT coils to get a sense on their handling and how they ride. All I know is I need an upgrade from my shot PSS9's, but all I keep seeing multiple ppl on the forums give praise to KW's, TC Kline, and Ground Control and not much said about SGT coils.
Old 08-30-2013, 11:39 AM   #14
rcsummers

That's because SGT is a small company mainly ran by one guy. KW, TC Kline, etc are not.

I would go with the swift spring upgrade. I did it before they offered the option, and as far as springs go. Swift are pretty much the "bee's knees"
Old 11-16-2013, 12:22 AM   #15
tehno0b

My Ride: 2004 M3 SMG LSB
Hi All,

Recently, I bought these coilovers from Status Gruppe with the following options:

Coilover setup
Camber plate
Swift spring
Camber set to 0
Rear spring adjuster set to 1 1/2 inch (per Mike's suggestion and it works like a charm)
#3 Spring setting 7kg/9kg

my wheels setup are:

Front - 19x9.5 wheels
Tires - Falken 452 245/40ZR19

Rear - 19x10.5 wheels
Tires - Falken 452 275/35ZR19

I mainly use this car as a daily driver (56 miles a day) east bay to inner san francisco
and I carpool with 2 women weighing 112lbs and 107lbs
and both sit on the right side of the car so no going crazy on ride height.

We finished the setup with 1 1/2 inch clearance on rear and 1inch in front.
shock stiffness is set to 16 clicks from soft on all corner, camber setting is set to 0 and tell you boi this **** is amaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaazzzzzziiiiiiiiiing g!!!!!!!

me and my mechanic and a co-mechanic test drove it to see if it will rub and it didn't at all and my fenders aren't rolled either.

Passengers:

Driver (Me): 173lbs
Right passenger: 168lbs
Rear left passenger: 166lbs
Rear right passenger: 178lbs

with all that weight inside, the car, it only went down less than an inch.
drove it around as fast at 65mph (aggressively) and no rubbing issue at all
noted, my fenders aren't rolled in yet.
As for bump test.. .. I am not really sure what wizardry Mike worked on these as each bump we pass through around 15 - 25mph of speed. each bump just seemed to be flat.. driving through those bumps, sagged and cracked pavements seemed to be more comfortable than my mom's SUV (nissan murano).

As for the parts itself even though I have not experienced other known brands such as KW, TCKline, Koni, Beilstienne, Ground control and some other high end stuff not for peasants and with no knowledge about this stuff.
Per my mechanic's and other co-mechanics that are experts on tuning specially on dedicated track and drift cars. they are totally amazed and wowed by what these products from Status Gruppe (Mike Migs and team) can do. they are more worth, more properly engineered, more logically designed (double bearing that holds the pillow ball) for the price range as compared to what have they worked on (mentioned above).
not to mention, my mechanic actually tore appart their wheels on a dedicated 2 drift car and 1 track cars and 1 part time track car using KW, Koni v3, Beillstein PSS10, and Beillstein PSS9 just to actually show how each function of SGT coils excels on each corner compared to the one they have and worked on.

another thing that needs to be highlighted about this product Status Gruppe BMW e46 m3 SRS Coilover kit
is that you don't have to re-use old parts such as shock mounts as they come in standard and a lot more solid and well planted once installed (thanks to Mike Migs for using his own car as a guinea pig) however, I'd still recommend buying the following parts:

E36, E46 Rear Shock Tower Mount Reinforcement Kit
http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-34...ement-kit.aspx

Rear Spring Pad - 5mm - E30 E36 E46 X3 Z3 Z4 (TOP)
http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-53...-x3-z3-z4.aspx

Rear Lower Spring Pad - E46 E83 X3 E85 Z4
http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-30...x3-e85-z4.aspx

Rear Trailing Arm Bushings (RTAB) - OEM Rubber - E36, E46, Z4 (Pair)
*NOTE* I decided to use these ones instead of the harder other version as it will help cushion and dampen shock a bit more since coilover setup is already harsh (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong but I chose it this way)
http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-36...6-z4-pair.aspx

there's also this one that I didn't manage to buy but I'd recommend it
Rogue Engineering E46 Rear Spring Perch Reinforcement
http://www.rogueengineering.com/rogu.../RSP_REIN.html

Below is a link that shows comparison of the product over the stock and how it looks like once it's installed.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/108512258@N08/

I hope this helps even just a bit.. please do let me know if you wish to see specific spots and details of the setup and I'll take pictures.

I will take the car back to the shop tomorrow for alignment check and will take some pictures to share.

Thanks Mike!
tehno0b is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coilovers, m3, status gruppe, suspension, tuning