E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-06-2013, 04:49 PM   #1
mixedgas401

My Ride: 04 325xi
Lean codes, oil leak, rough idle, misfire NOT THE DISA

I know this has probably been talked about way too much and I could probably search for another hour and find what I want but I am tired after working all day on my brake conversion.

My car has a crappy idle, it has a rough idle like a crotch rocket, MIL is on for lean codes, misfires, and I have a nice oil leak coming from under the intake manifold somewhere. Sometimes this car does not want to start right up when its cold, it idles super rough and usually stalls after a couple seconds of running. Then it fires right back up and makes popping sounds in the intake.

The car drives perfectly fine but when i come to a stop it idles rough. If I sit holding the brake its fine but if i put it in park (like at an ATM) then after about 15 seconds it drops and almost stalls. If I don't shut it off and restart then it sounds like a Subaru at which point I get the misfire codes.

I called BMW looking for intake gaskets and the parts sales guy said something about a crank case ventilation valve. BAVAUTO.com has the vent valve and hose kit for $170. Does this sound like a good direction to head or am I missing something. I was thinking the fuel pump was soft failing but I have 48lbs of pressure at idle. Also I already replaced the DISA valve and had a very slight improvement but not enough to warrant spending $190 at BMW dealer.
mixedgas401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-06-2013, 04:56 PM   #2
SamDoe1

My Ride: Clubs baby seals
This is the CCV (crank case vent valve) for sure. It's not an easy fix so I hope you're up to the challenge.

One way to tell for sure is to open the hood at idle, open the oil fill cap, and listen to see if your car sounds like chewbacca.

$170 for parts sounds kinda high but I'm not sure.
SamDoe1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 04:58 PM   #3
mixedgas401

Lol OK so if it sounds like Chewbacca I should change this? And it is the ccv and all the hoses and gaskets

Sent from my HTC One X using Bimmer App
Old 02-06-2013, 05:01 PM   #4
SamDoe1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixedgas401 View Post
Lol OK so if it sounds like Chewbacca I should change this? And it is the ccv and all the hoses and gaskets

Yup.

Another thing to check is that often times there's just one hose that breaks behind the PS reservoir. There's a thread about it, I'll try to find it.

Edit: here you go:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=773551

If your car is making the Chewbacca noises, this fix will unfortunately not work and you will have to replace the whole system. If it doesn't sound like an angry Wookie, this hose is probably the issue.

Last edited by SamDoe1; 02-06-2013 at 05:03 PM.
Old 02-06-2013, 05:31 PM   #5
Kubica

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Do the oil filter housing gasket (OFHG) with the ccv.

It's very cheap and the ccv will be very easy if you follow the OFHG DIYs.

Also a good time to do belts, tensioners, vanos oil line, etc.
Kubica is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:31 PM   #6
mixedgas401

Either way I have to pull the IM so I might as well do it all. My luck I'll pull the manifold fix the hose and a week later something else will break. I don't think I have the Hans solo captured by Vader and chewey is pissed sound but I do have a hell of a vacuum sound

Old 02-06-2013, 06:09 PM   #7
mixedgas401

I didn't see your reply kubica. Any chance I can get you to post a Linky for me so I can see the ofhg diy. I forgot my tablet at work

Old 02-06-2013, 06:44 PM   #8
Kubica

I don't think you should pull the IM yet.

Just google for the DIY.

And don't buy from bavauto- try ebmwparts.com or getbmwparts.com for OE parts.
Old 02-06-2013, 06:49 PM   #9
mixedgas401

After doing a little research I see that pulling the ofh will open up the underside of the manifold.
Why do you suggest not buying from bavauto

Old 02-06-2013, 08:49 PM   #10
SamDoe1

Quote:
After doing a little research I see that pulling the ofh will open up the underside of the manifold.
Why do you suggest not buying from bavauto

You shouldn't have to do either, there's a DIY on here for how to do it without pulling anything major out.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:12 PM   #11
mixedgas401

I shopped around and bavauto had everything in one kit that is cheaper than the two places mentioned by kubica. I also got the two intake pipes and ofh gasket shipped for $210. Thanks for the input and help. Its always appreciated

Old 02-06-2013, 11:19 PM   #12
Kubica

Quote:
I shopped around and bavauto had everything in one kit that is cheaper than the two places mentioned by kubica. I also got the two intake pipes and ofh gasket shipped for $210. Thanks for the input and help. Its always appreciated

I just bought a CCV kit for $140 from getbmwparts.com a few weeks ago.

You need crush washers for the vanos oil line also.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:13 PM   #13
mixedgas401

Also bavauto had a very helpful video for doing the ccv

Old 02-07-2013, 05:36 AM   #14
mixedgas401

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubica View Post
I just bought a CCV kit for $140 from getbmwparts.com a few weeks ago.

You need crush washers for the vanos oil line also.
I got the ofhg, upper and lower intake bellows, tb gasket, and the f-connector. The washers I already have at work

Old 02-07-2013, 09:14 AM   #15
SamDoe1

FWIW, I always buy from thebmwpartstore.com. They have the best prices and the best service.

Do you know for sure that your intake runner is broken?
Old 02-07-2013, 09:37 AM   #16
mixedgas401

I don't think I have a broken runner. I'll know once I get into this once my parts arrive. I decided that I'm just going to pull my intake manifold off either way and give everything under it a refresh and inspection. It should be a good way to burn up 4 or 5 hours doing all this