E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-11-2013, 08:43 PM   #1
rudycoop

My Ride: 3 pedal 330i
Has anyone ever mixed 2 stroke in their gas?

There is a forum w 51 pages of responses talking about using 2 stroke in your fuel tank. Mixing 1 ounce of 2 stroke per 5 gallons of gas. It supposedly does a whole lot of good.

lubricates the fuel pump/seals/injectors.
cleans the fuel system and scavenge water that ethanol attracts.
Creates a film of protection in our fuel system to stop corrosion.
Acts as a cleaner for our spark plugs/valves/combustion chambers.
Cleans the ring packs
Leaves a film on the cylinder walls to eliminate cold start metal wear.

Afterwards you will be
A) Run Smoother B) Run more efficiently C) Parts will last longer i.e. fuel pumps/injectors etc. D) Should see more RWHP and MPG

For pennies!

I used this on numerous vehicles and have recently been doing it on my 325i. Every fill up I measure it out and dump it right in with the gas.

Curious is anyone else has done this?
rudycoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:45 PM   #2
wildirish317

My Ride: 2004 325Ci vert
Not me.

“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.”
wildirish317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:45 PM   #3
tmr931

My Ride: 330ci
makes sense
tmr931 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:50 PM   #4
TurnersInOz

My Ride: 2004 325i
Nope, never done that.
Can't see how a lot of those points would be valid, given that all you are doing essentially is putting oil in the gas.
For example I cannot see how adding oil to the fuel would do anything for water in the tank. The two don't mix. Oil+anything generally does not equal clean.
I'd also be curious to see what effect, if any, this could have on sensors and cats.
TurnersInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:53 PM   #5
wildirish317

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudycoop View Post
There is a forum w 51 pages of responses talking about using 2 stroke in your fuel tank. Mixing 1 ounce of 2 stroke per 5 gallons of gas. It supposedly does a whole lot of good.

Cleans the ring packs

Afterwards you will be
A) Run Smoother B) Run more efficiently C) Parts will last longer i.e. fuel pumps/injectors etc. D) Should see more RWHP and MPG

For pennies!

I used this on numerous vehicles and have recently been doing it on my 325i. Every fill up I measure it out and dump it right in with the gas.

Okay, in before WDE46 and DonaldE, among other engineers. A few questions:

cleans the fuel system and scavenge water that ethanol attracts
I used to use gasoline to clean up oil residue, not the opposite. Since when does oil absorb water?

Leaves a film on the cylinder walls to eliminate cold start metal wear
Isn't that what motor oil is for?

“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.”
Old 02-11-2013, 08:54 PM   #6
jgold47

My Ride: 2004 X5 3.0
most e46 owners already do this. Its called burning oil.

I mix a little milk in with my gas. Usually skim, but sometimes 2%. I figure it does a body good. I've never had a car rust on me and I live in Michigan.

my about me link
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=791566

jgold47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:57 PM   #7
peytonracer4

My Ride: '00 328i
putting oil in the gas...? seems like it would just make combustion weird and unpredictable.

it would also foul the plugs.

and it will screw your cats

Last edited by peytonracer4; 02-11-2013 at 09:07 PM.
peytonracer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:57 PM   #8
wildirish317

Quote:
Should see more RWHP and MPG
And I forgot to include the statement that caused me to respond in the first place. Does 2 cycle oil have a higher btu/lb content than gasoline? If that's the case, why don't we run our engines on it to begin with? How much btu does it add to a tank of gas? How much does it cost per gallon?

Old 02-11-2013, 09:03 PM   #9
always-there

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330I
And while you're at it op, make sure to replace your muffler with that of a lawnmowers; they're said to have a more free-flowing muffler.
always-there is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:06 PM   #10
NJFF26

My Ride: 02 325xi
I will put what I have left from a day of riding my dirtbike in my van it doesn't hurt it but I wouldn't waste money on it on my car
NJFF26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:12 PM   #11
Brevik
Modded ///Member

My Ride: Tiag M3
I also suggest installing a 48 inch John Deere deck to save wear on your lawn mower while you are at it.

Last edited by Brevik; 02-11-2013 at 09:13 PM.
Brevik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:15 PM   #12
peytonracer4

My Ride: '00 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by breiwa1 View Post
I also suggest installing a 48 inch John Deere deck to save wear on your lawn mower while you are at it.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:23 PM   #13
HacksawMark
Modded ///Member

My Ride: 2014 Subaru XV
Quote:

Cleans the ring packs

Afterwards you will be

For pennies!

HacksawMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:31 PM   #14
///MPR77

My Ride: 02 ///M3 Tri-Ped
When I was two years old, my parents bought me a Suzuki jr50 w/custom fab training wheels

It was 2 stroke.

Bewahren Sie ihre ultimative fahrmaschine
///MPR77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:37 PM   #15
metalmania305

My Ride: 2000 323i
What do we have, scooter motors? I remember a scooter I had that I had to mix 2cycle oil with the gas to make it work, but not on my bimmer you crazy.
metalmania305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:39 PM   #16
B_Cyrus
Banned User

My Ride: Malfouf
This isn't an RX7, and E46's already burn oil.
B_Cyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:24 PM   #17
lcoleman

My Ride: '79 Massey Ferguson
Quote:
Originally Posted by B_Cyrus View Post
This isn't an RX7
Shucks, came in here to say that. Sounds like a silly idea.

Last edited by lcoleman; 02-11-2013 at 11:24 PM.
lcoleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:57 PM   #18
rudycoop

My Ride: 3 pedal 330i
It has been extensively tested on other forums and I will say it again, 51 pages of positive results. I have been doing it and my 325 runs and idles like new.

Check it out:
http://www.ls1.com/forums/f48/been-testing-91206/
rudycoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:32 AM   #19
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmr931 View Post
makes sense
No it doesn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildirish317 View Post
And I forgot to include the statement that caused me to respond in the first place. Does 2 cycle oil have a higher btu/lb content than gasoline? If that's the case, why don't we run our engines on it to begin with? How much btu does it add to a tank of gas? How much does it cost per gallon?
Actually I think it may (not btu/lb but btu/gal). The more refined a fuel is, the lower it's energy density (in general). The "density" part of that statement is important. That is a rating of megajoules per liter (or btu/gal) whereas specific energy is megajoules per kilogram (or btu/lb). Specific energy remains about the same for all oils from crude to aviation fuel (when you start adding ethanol you get killed). Energy density has a well defined downward trend. Take these densities/specific energies for example:

Type: E Density ; Specific E

Crude Oil: 37 MJ/L ; 46.3 MJ/kg
Diesel: 35.9 MJ/L ; 43.1 MJ/kg
Gasoline: 34.2 MJ/L ; 46.4 MJ/kg
E10 "Gasohol": 33.18 MJ/L ; 43.54 MJ/kg
E85 "Gasohol": 25.65 MJ/L ; 33.1 MJ/kg

2-stroke oil is going to be somewhere between crude and diesel. It is harder to combust completely and that's part of the reason 2-stroke engines have horrible emissions (apart from the less efficient cycle). The only reason 2 stroke engines have this additive is for it's primary lubrication in the crank. I'm not going to explain the 2-stroke cycle and it's method of induction/exhaust and fuel/air mixing, but it NEEDS this oil. A 4 stroke absolutely does not.

Also, you can see why E10 and E85 suck. They do burn more efficiently and a little more cleanly, but you are getting less energy per unit volume and per unit mass.

Quote:
It has been extensively tested on other forums and I will say it again, 51 pages of positive results. I have been doing it and my 325 runs and idles like new.

Check it out:
http://www.ls1.com/forums/f48/been-testing-91206/
I don't care what 51 pages of the LS1 forums say (I'm not going to waste my time reading that many pages). It probably doesn't hurt anything seriously, but there is no way this increases HP or MPG. All it's going to do is foul your plugs more quickly than pure gasoline. Who knows what it may do to your cats. As far as lubricating the fuel pump, that may be true, but the pump is designed to be adequately lubricated by gasoline. Anyway, the fuel pump failure on these cars seems to be a motor issue, not an issue with the pumping mechanism itself wearing out.

All I really have to say is that there is no need for this "additive" even if it did help. Our engines last a very long time as it is with regular oil changes. That is the only oil your engine needs. The oil system adequately lubricates the engine at all times, unless the oil pump nut comes off. In that case, some 2-stroke additive is not going to help you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubenk View Post
I have heard and seen it on a few occasions where running a bit of ATF can clean things up due to all the "detergents", but I still wouldnt recommend it on a modern engine. An old carbeurated farm truck? Sure, throw whatever you want in there, but probably not the best idea on a new ride(granted that E46's arent that new anymore).
First of all, the ATF thing is a myth and that myth involves adding it to your oil, not to your gasoline.

Second, our cars may be 10 years old, but their technology matches the lower level brands made in the past few years. It's not quite as refined (VANOS problems), but BMW pioneers technology before most other car makers by several years.

Last edited by WDE46; 02-12-2013 at 06:52 AM. Reason: Auto-save 1360673525
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:01 AM   #20
Rubenk

My Ride: M35A2
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE46 View Post
First of all, the ATF thing is a myth and that myth involves adding it to your oil, not to your gasoline.

Second, our cars may be 10 years old, but their technology matches the lower level brands made in the past few years. It's not quite as refined (VANOS problems), but BMW pioneers technology before most other car makers by several years.
Disagree on the source of the myth, my basis for it comes from growing up with Big Rigs and farm equipment, and the fellas here tend to agree: www.steelsoldiers.com, it has held true in using it in the fuel tank of my M35A2 with a Continental Multifuel engine too.

But that is irrelevant to this discussion.
Rubenk is offline   Reply With Quote