E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-14-2013, 01:25 PM   #1
bikesandcars

My Ride: 2002 325xi-sport pkg
sport suspension getting rougher over time? what are my options?

I put Eibach pro-kit springs with Bilstein struts on my 2002 325xi about 4k miles ago. I also upgraded to powerflex bushings.

I have a LONG commute (80 miles each way), so maybe it's just too much time in the car... but..

It really seems like my suspension is getting rougher by the day... when I first installed the springs / struts the car seemed very tight. Now every time I hit a crack in the pavement it seems like it shakes the whole car. Is it possible for the suspension to get harsher and the bumps to get nastier in such a short amount of time?

This suspension is not what I wanted, so I'm seriously considering something softer... I'm not sure if it's the eibach's or the bilstien's or even the powerflex bushings that are contributing the most to the harshness. Does anyone have experience with softer setups or maybe has gone through this situation?

I should note that I bought the car 5,000 miles ago, and ran it with the stock suspension for a couple weeks. I thought the stock suspension was much better over these northeast highway potholes and big bumps.

There's one bump where concrete meets asphalt after a bridge that I hit every day.. with the stock setup it soaked it up pretty well,.. with this current setup it's "BAM".. makes me wince

Last edited by bikesandcars; 02-14-2013 at 01:28 PM.
bikesandcars is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-14-2013, 01:51 PM   #2
SamDoe1

My Ride: Clubs baby seals
The Eibachs will be stiffer than the stockers but not by much. I would check your install work and make sure the upper shock and strut mounts are still good. Also check the struts and shocks for leakage as they might not be working properly. Bilsteins have been known to leak.

The powerflex bushings will be stiffer than the stock ones too. You did overall stiffen the car quite a bit...
SamDoe1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:01 PM   #3
bikesandcars

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamDoe1 View Post
The Eibachs will be stiffer than the stockers but not by much. I would check your install work and make sure the upper shock and strut mounts are still good. Also check the struts and shocks for leakage as they might not be working properly. Bilsteins have been known to leak.

The powerflex bushings will be stiffer than the stock ones too. You did overall stiffen the car quite a bit...
Install work is good, all new mounts. I'm not getting any rattles.. .just harsh

Maybe everything contributed a little huh.

I'll check the struts next time i have a chance... I'd hope they aren't leaking yet!

The rears seem harsher than the fronts, I don't have much weight in the car and the tires are set a few pounds less than factory recommended psi at the rear

Maybe I just need to go back to stock... I like the handling but 3 hours in the car each day is tough if you're counting cracks.
Old 02-14-2013, 02:19 PM   #4
e46alfonso

My Ride: 330xi, focus st
Eibachs and powerflex are fine, the problem is the bilsteins as they are known to be harsh especialy the rears. Return the rears and request e36m3 shocks.

I have no complaints with eibach/koni and PF combo and my roads are a disaster. Even with 255s all round the ride isn't that bad.
e46alfonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:59 PM   #5
shadow 2

My Ride: 07 328i
Koni sports much more livable than Bilstein with just as much handling.
shadow 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:01 PM   #6
Lou3viLL3sLuGGa

My Ride: BMW 325 xi
I'd just gotten eibach pro kit today and bilstein sport shocks. After many people saying bilstein is harsh and "too firm" I've decided to send the bilstein back and spend the extra $ on Koni sport for my 2002 xi. Good luck I'd hope they aren't leaking either. I know I'd heard many complain if that too, so I called turner motorsports where I ordered from and they advised that bilstein now ships the set with e36 m3 rears...?
Lou3viLL3sLuGGa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 02:11 PM   #7
Lou3viLL3sLuGGa

I will update when install is compete. Taking car Friday. Returned the bilstein sports for koni sport yellow and have eibach pro kit. Getting carbon fiber hood and trunk installed as well!
Old 02-19-2013, 02:30 PM   #8
bikesandcars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou3viLL3sLuGGa View Post
I will update when install is compete. Taking car Friday. Returned the bilstein sports for koni sport yellow and have eibach pro kit. Getting carbon fiber hood and trunk installed as well!
Are you getting Koni sports for the xi or for the e36 M3?

If it works out smoother I might follow suit. The front seems to soak up bumps better than the rear. The rear seems a little harsher... likely because I'm not loaded.

Then again, my E350 rides like S#$T until I have 1000 lbs in the back, maybe I should pick up some sand bags (joking)... what I really need is a suspenion designed for a car with one soul on board.

I wish I could get about 1" HIGHER in the front to help smooth things out. I think a slightly taller strut and softer compression dampening would do wonders (but also give a little more body roll).
Old 02-20-2013, 09:26 AM   #9
SamDoe1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikesandcars View Post
Are you getting Koni sports for the xi or for the e36 M3?
Koni makes an E46 Xi specific set up. That's the one you want, not one for the E36 M3.
Old 02-19-2013, 02:34 PM   #10
Lou3viLL3sLuGGa

Koni sport and eibach pro going on 02 xi I don't have another car I was saying that turner motorsports had advised that the bilstein now ships with rear e36 m3 due to the issues reported.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:59 AM   #11
bikesandcars

Quote:
Koni sport and eibach pro going on 02 xi I don't have another car I was saying that turner motorsports had advised that the bilstein now ships with rear e36 m3 due to the issues reported.
I think you misunderstood my ramblings... I meant... are the Koni sport's specifically for the 2002 XI or are you buying e36 Koni sport rears for your 02xi
Old 02-20-2013, 09:08 AM   #12
Lou3viLL3sLuGGa

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikesandcars View Post
I think you misunderstood my ramblings... I meant... are the Koni sport's specifically for the 2002 XI or are you buying e36 Koni sport rears for your 02xi
They are specific to the xi
Old 02-20-2013, 09:57 AM   #13
Lou3viLL3sLuGGa

Quote:
Koni makes an E46 Xi specific set up. That's the one you want, not one for the E36 M3.
Exactly the only reason the e36 m3 was brought up is because I was advised that bilstein now ships their rears with the e36 m3 rear for all e46 by the tms rep. I opted to spend more money and get the koni sport yellow xi specific
Old 02-22-2013, 07:11 PM   #14
Lou3viLL3sLuGGa

First impressions after getting car back today is that the setup is amazing. Koni yellow and eibach pro kit is soft for what it is! Very responsive and comfortable. I'm happy. It didn't get as low as I'd hoped, though I didn't want to be slammed. I hope it settles a bit, but I just think the xi sits higher in general and if I wanted to go real low I'd have needed h&r springs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1361581864.517730.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	492007  
Old 02-22-2013, 08:31 PM   #15
SamDoe1

It should sit quite a bit lower than that after it settles, give it a few days to a week to get to it's final resting spot. Mine sits a lot lower than that on the same suspension.
Old 02-22-2013, 08:35 PM   #16
Lou3viLL3sLuGGa

Quote:
It should sit quite a bit lower than that after it settles, give it a few days to a week to get to it's final resting spot. Mine sits a lot lower than that on the same suspension.
That's good to hear, as yours is also xi correct? Thanks
Old 02-23-2013, 10:25 AM   #17
SamDoe1

Quote:
That's good to hear, as yours is also xi correct? Thanks
Yup, hence the car under my name to the left...and the reason I only post in this forum and OT.
Old 02-23-2013, 10:45 AM   #18
Lou3viLL3sLuGGa

Sorry I'm on the app for the iPhone and didn't see any of that but I was almost sure based on previous posts you were an xi owner .)