E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > NY / NJ / CT

NY / NJ / CT
Have you seen another BMW while driving around in your area? Maybe you can find their car in the E46Fanatics Garage!
NY NJ CT

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-30-2012, 03:50 PM   #1
bmwnyc81

My Ride: BMW 328I
Looking for a BMW mechanic in New Jersey/New york

hey Guys,

I thought I would just check in this board if someone lives near Jersey City, NJ and who can help me with some E46 repairs that I need to do in my car this Friday or Saturday.. Please email me for the rates..

Thanks!
bmwnyc81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-30-2012, 03:56 PM   #2
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

My Ride: M54B30
There's a man that lives on a dusty backroad down by the abandoned taco stand. Rumor has it that the carpets in his home are fern green. He likes these kinds of jobs... he says it's good for his back. The fellow's called "DMAX." He gives free inspections, I hear. He lives right by the new jersey turnpike next to the hudson river down by the trees. if you see a pile of beagle carcasses, you know you've gone too far.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 04:04 PM   #3
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Would you please work up a new paragraph for me, Mango? For some reason, that one presents me in a very odd light...

I'm better than beagle fur and carcasses...slightly!

OP, there are many guys around NY that are reasonably handy...if there's stuff I can reach without hurting my back too badly, we can talk about that. I'm good with lots of stuff...just not all of it.

What you planning on doing? Maybe we should try to talk you into DIYing?

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 04:54 PM   #4
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

My Ride: M54B30
hahaha ay ay captain! working on it!

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:25 AM   #5
bmwnyc81

Looking for a bmw mechanic in NY NJ area

I moved to the NJ area recently and need to fix couple of my things in my car. I am only looking for a BMW mechanic or master tech in the area. In the past I used to go to indy shops but they are not that cheap and besides don't do a great job
Old 02-17-2013, 08:33 AM   #6
05_325xi

My Ride: 2005 BMW 325xi
Are you willing to come by jersey city area i just found a great guy man the dealer them selfs couldn't find the problem this dude i dropped my car yesterday at around 3pm and got a call at 11:02pm from him telling me my car is good to go all for $100
Old 02-17-2013, 08:45 AM   #7
bmwnyc81

actually I live in Jersey.. could you please pm me about this? thx in advance
Old 02-17-2013, 09:09 AM   #8
05_325xi

Im glad i could help heres where i found the dude http://newjersey.craigslist.org/aos/3504251848.html anyone else needs work on their BMW this is the man for the job he only works on BMWs
Old 02-17-2013, 09:22 AM   #9
dmax

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwnyc81 View Post
I moved to the NJ area recently and need to fix couple of my things in my car. I am only looking for a BMW mechanic or master tech in the area. In the past I used to go to indy shops but they are not that cheap and besides don't do a great job
Don't blame all Indy shops because the one's you've been to haven't worked out. It's not easy finding a mechanic that knows stuff, is honest, who cares to do the right thing, and who's cheap.

Find someone you can work with. Some problems are easy to figure out...some not. Sometimes you get lucky with a shop/mechanic, and sometimes the shop itself gets unlucky with a particularly difficult to diagnose issue.

Anyway, there's a shop thread stickied at the top of the regional forum. I go to IMG...an Indy that works on everything from Ferraris to Truck...and lots of bmws. I trust them with my life.

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
Old 02-17-2013, 09:28 AM   #10
05_325xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
Don't blame all Indy shops because the one's you've been to haven't worked out. It's not easy finding a mechanic that knows stuff, is honest, who cares to do the right thing, and who's cheap.

Find someone you can work with. Some problems are easy to figure out...some not. Sometimes you get lucky with a shop/mechanic, and sometimes the shop itself gets unlucky with a particularly difficult to diagnose issue.

Anyway, there's a shop thread stickied at the top of the regional forum. I go to IMG...an Indy that works on everything from Ferraris to Truck...and lots of bmws. I trust them with my life.
Where's this shop you go to if you dont mind me asking is always good to go to have a back up i never been to this guy i just took my car there yesterday and he seems pretty cool and cheap
Old 02-17-2013, 09:32 AM   #11
bmwnyc81

yeah that would be really helpful.. please share the info with us if you can... thx
Old 02-17-2013, 11:22 AM   #12
05_325xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwnyc81 View Post
yeah that would be really helpful.. please share the info with us if you can... thx
So did the shop info i gave you match the shop you use to go to please let me know thanks
Old 02-17-2013, 10:05 AM   #13
dmax

IMG in the regional 'shops' thread. In Union, NJ, 1449 Stuyvesant. 908 688 8118

Ask for Sal and tell him Doug sent you.

Also, if either of you guys writes what work you need done, you might do some searching. There are a lot of things you can do much more easily than you'd think. $100 of tools gets you thousands of dollars in savings over the years. Yet, there are things I probably could figure out, but I don't want to experiment with first time on my car...and other things, just a pitb to do.

Finally, let me say that knowing about your car and its known issues can help you and your mechanic more effectively diagnose things. The better you are at observing and reporting...and searching here...the more likely you'll get good results with more mechs/shops.

Being a mechanic isn't easy at all. It is for the putting parts in part, but not for the 'what part to put in.' There are many issues that are not straightforward...even with codes. Having a relationship with a shop...having them do some stuff like an oil change, even when you could do it yourself...can help you a lot too. Show trust and you'll get trust back.

Also, listen to them. Mechanics often know more about cars than we do! If you go in asking for a price on "X," expect that many shops will give you a price and do the job...even if it's not what you need. Instead, say "I have symptom "X" and am wondering what you think?"

Same thing here...better to solve problems by describing symptoms, rather than writing "I think my CAB is bad."

Okay /rambling mode!

HTH

A recent set

Old 02-17-2013, 10:08 AM   #14
zan

My Ride: 06 m3 sold/ 03.5 m3
Go to MP MOTORSPORTS at Glendale Queens NY....They're awesome !!! Tell them Zanni sent you !!! phone number is 347-725-4228 address is 7105 64th street Glendale Ny 11385

Current ride: 2003.5 M3 COUPE 6 SPEED SILVER GRAY DD
zan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 04:08 PM   #15
04yfz

My Ride: A car
What are you looking to have done exactly?
Old 02-17-2013, 10:28 PM   #16
VonGeiss

My Ride: 2002 m3
where exactly are you, I could refer you to a great indy near me, they never break the bank and I trust them exclusively with my m3. I DIY almost everything I can, but when I run out of patience, or time, I bring it to them. I never even ask for an estimate because I know they'll do me right. I always get parts at cost, and labor at real time, not book time!

But NJ/NY is kind of a broad area...

2002 Carbon Black ///M3 - current
2002 Stahlgrau ///M3 - RIP
2001 325i - sold

Instagram: @VONGEISS
VonGeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:25 AM   #17
mzeed

My Ride: 05 M3 ZCP no sunroof
^^^^So where s his place^^^^.

Last edited by mzeed; 02-18-2013 at 06:28 AM.
mzeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:27 AM   #18
mzeed

My Ride: 05 M3 ZCP no sunroof
VonGeiss ^^^^So where s his place^^^^. I find most places will charge about $100/hr +/- $10....even at the dealer on cars 2005 and older (old car discount) and I think its a myth orperhaps a crapshoot whetether you will save with an INDY here in North Jersey.
And that goes with all makes.....after getting quotes on timing belt, water pump/ coolant etc. the Indys were $300 to 500 more than 2 of the 3 dealers I checked on a 2004 V8 Touareg
mzeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:25 AM   #19
bmwnyc81

that is true.. indy shops here in jersey are very expensive.. that's why I am looking only for a mechanic or master tech who wants to make extra buck on the side.. I can do some DIY but sometimes need some mechanic help.. anyway if anyone knows a good mechanic who does it on the side (not a shop) let me know. thx!
Old 02-18-2013, 09:08 AM   #20
jsoto

My Ride: M3
let's open this discussion up even further.
There are 2 ships in the dealer thread. Both are great....

It's a double edged sword. It would be great if I would pay parts to them and then they do a small markup. I don't supporting them on the small markup.
In light of that, both normally charge *retail* on parts. I'm not looking to pay OEM prices. Alot of stuff can be purchased much less, but even stuff that you just can't get other than OEM, tishcher, etc are much cheaper than my *trusted indys* on the parts pricing...

So what side you sit in.
Try to support your indy with his parts...
Or buy all you parts from X and X, and let him just bill you on labor...
jsoto is offline   Reply With Quote