E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Food Talk

Food Talk
Do you like food? If so, you came to the right off-topic section. Discuss your favorite food topics here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-06-2013, 11:32 AM   #1
Mike Larry

My Ride: 575 nello
Expensive foods that you hate or don't get

Thought this might be interesting/fun, especially since most expensive food is expensive because of scarcity rather than actual taste.

I don't really get truffle oil. I think it tastes ok, but I've never felt like it adds so much to a dish that it's worth the price. I think it adds a hint of mild flavor and makes food taste different, but I'm not even sure that I actually enjoy the taste.

Plus, I also feel like fancy restaurants love to put it on everything just so they can have the word "truffle" as part of the food description on the menu. It makes food seem fancier than it really is and I don't think people would think it's such a big deal if truffles weren't expensive. Thoughts?

Last edited by Mike Larry; 03-06-2013 at 11:34 AM. Reason: Auto-save 1362587642
Mike Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:53 AM   #2
evolved

My Ride: 2011 BMW 135i
I want to really like foie gras, but every time I have it the consistency just kills me. Even if it's seared on the outside, the inside reminds me of the consistency of snot.

Goose/duck/mallard liver pate is gross.....every time I see it or have it I think of canned cat food.

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

E46Sig

Last edited by evolved; 03-06-2013 at 11:54 AM.
evolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 12:16 PM   #3
Mike Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolved View Post
I want to really like foie gras, but every time I have it the consistency just kills me. Even if it's seared on the outside, the inside reminds me of the consistency of snot.

Goose/duck/mallard liver pate is gross.....every time I see it or have it I think of canned cat food.
i pretty much love anything liver-related, especially foie gras

if it werent expensive, i could eat cases of that stuff in a day
Old 03-06-2013, 02:39 PM   #4
Adam@Euro-Spec
Sponsor

My Ride: is slowww
Send a message via AIM to Adam@Euro-Spec
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Larry View Post
i pretty much love anything liver-related, especially foie gras

if it werent expensive, i could eat cases of that stuff in a day
Haha I feel exactly the same way..if there is foie gras on the menu I usually always order it
Adam@Euro-Spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 04:02 PM   #5
NFRs2000nyc

My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
Quote:

You crazy. Fois gras is sooooo good. If it has the consistency of snot, it's undercooked.
Old 03-06-2013, 04:11 PM   #6
evolved

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
You crazy. Fois gras is sooooo good. If it has the consistency of snot, it's undercooked.
Maybe I had a bad experience.....one of my favorite places here in St. Louis has foie on the menu and the two times I've had it it's been a bad consistency. Now that I'm thinking about it, I did, however, have it in Amsterdam on NYE and it was very good. It was more firm, on top of some rocket leaves on a fancy toast point.

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

E46Sig
Old 03-06-2013, 04:15 PM   #7
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Maybe I had a bad experience.....one of my favorite places here in St. Louis has foie on the menu and the two times I've had it it's been a bad consistency. Now that I'm thinking about it, I did, however, have it in Amsterdam on NYE and it was very good. It was more firm, on top of some rocket leaves on a fancy toast point.
It should have *some* body to it. A crisp golden outside but a nice inside. If the inside is too pink and slimy, it just means they cooked it on too hot of a pan and too quickly, so it seared but didn't have time to cook all the way through. I would say 80% of fois gras in restaurants I come accross is cooked incorrectly (like mentioned above.)
Old 03-06-2013, 01:49 PM   #8
cowmoo32
drunken science

My Ride: Trek 1.5
Caviar, but I'm not a huge fish guy either.

flickher

What's this about a brownie in motion?
cowmoo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 01:52 PM   #9
2000_328CI
DK Jack Sparrow

My Ride: 328Ci | Range Rover
Send a message via AIM to 2000_328CI Send a message via MSN to 2000_328CI
Sushi, Caviar, Escargot

435 Horsepower 328Ci
Everything you need to know on muffler deletes : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=745244
Wrapping an E46 in Vinyl : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ghlight=bronze

Last edited by 2000_328CI; 03-06-2013 at 01:53 PM.
2000_328CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 01:55 PM   #10
Jesse M

My Ride: 05' ZHP
Sushi is bomb and deserves all the praise and high prices associated with it. Ever watch those guys make it? It's like art. I'd eat it everyday if I could afford it.
Old 03-06-2013, 02:11 PM   #11
JJR4884

My Ride: BMW
Alaskan king crab legs... i saw them somewhere recently for like, $34.99/lb. lol... bullshit. No crab is worth that. I'll take the smaller sweeter version (snow crab) and enjoy thoroughly at $6.99/lb.

Jumbo shrimp cocktail... I still buy it, and I usually cook them myself so I will save a few bucks per lb buying them raw, however I just don't understand why shrimp is $17.99/lb... I guess its good that it comes out to $1.50 a piece, but still... just expensive IMO. Still beats $3.50 a piece at a restaurant.

Truffles.... they are delicious, but white alba truffles are such a hype and "rare" that the cost is just astronomical.

Sushi as well is overpriced. I don't think it is expensive, but I think nigiri sushi should never cost $3-$5 a piece. You are literally getting a spoonful of rice and usually less than an ounce of meat. That means the "sushi grade" tuna they are getting for $10/lb ends up being charged anywhere between $40-$70/lb. Learn how to make sushi and you can eat it every night
JJR4884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 02:37 PM   #12
Adam@Euro-Spec
Sponsor

I would NEVER order a seafood tower at a nice restaurant...it makes me cringe when they sell them. $75-100 for about $10-15 retail worth of seafood...it's absolutely sickening.

Whole Steamed Lobsters out..freaking $30+ per pound is absolutely insane for something costs like $12 a lb and steaming a lobster is nothing special...

Caviar

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurreyF1 View Post
Alaskan king crab legs... i saw them somewhere recently for like, $34.99/lb. lol... bullshit. No crab is worth that. I'll take the smaller sweeter version (snow crab) and enjoy thoroughly at $6.99/lb.

Jumbo shrimp cocktail... I still buy it, and I usually cook them myself so I will save a few bucks per lb buying them raw, however I just don't understand why shrimp is $17.99/lb... I guess its good that it comes out to $1.50 a piece, but still... just expensive IMO. Still beats $3.50 a piece at a restaurant.
King crabs are stupid priced...No idea why they are so much more then snow crab..but snow crab I can buy big pieces half pound and up each for around $6.50ish, king crab, half pound and up legs cost me $17lb and I was selling them for $18.99lb, then losing a few pounds on the bottom of the box..obviously i stopped selling those, i refuse to charge people $25 for them.

Shrimp are also stupid expensive right now, they will come down beginning of the summer when texas season opens up. Jumbo Brown Shrimp(yes brown is 1001231x better then white shrimp) are high right now, I'm paying about $9lb selling for $14.99...

Last edited by Adam@Euro-Spec; 03-06-2013 at 02:38 PM.
Old 03-06-2013, 02:25 PM   #13
Mike Larry

^ i agree with king crab legs, but i'm not crazy about snow crabs either. those two varieties of crab have the least flavor imo. i prefer dungeness or blue crabs
Old 03-06-2013, 02:40 PM   #14
evolved

I love the taste of crab and lobster....legs, claws, etc. Love it.

However, I could never eat them if the whole bug is sitting there on my plate.....like, body, eyes and all. It totally freaks me out, lol.

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past

E46Sig
Old 03-06-2013, 02:58 PM   #15
JJR4884

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam@Euro-Spec View Post
I would NEVER order a seafood tower at a nice restaurant...it makes me cringe when they sell them. $75-100 for about $10-15 retail worth of seafood...it's absolutely sickening.

Whole Steamed Lobsters out..freaking $30+ per pound is absolutely insane for something costs like $12 a lb and steaming a lobster is nothing special...

Caviar

King crabs are stupid priced...No idea why they are so much more then snow crab..but snow crab I can buy big pieces half pound and up each for around $6.50ish, king crab, half pound and up legs cost me $17lb and I was selling them for $18.99lb, then losing a few pounds on the bottom of the box..obviously i stopped selling those, i refuse to charge people $25 for them.

Shrimp are also stupid expensive right now, they will come down beginning of the summer when texas season opens up. Jumbo Brown Shrimp(yes brown is 1001231x better then white shrimp) are high right now, I'm paying about $9lb selling for $14.99...
Yea most restaurants around here are getting $25/lb for a whole lobster. I guess that is equal with paying $40 for a 10oz filet that would cost you $15 in a market. Its all the same mark up, but ya, they are expensive, and they are typically boiled in regular water. F that. I cut up an onion, carrot, celery, little white wine, red pepper flakes, and I STEAM the lobsters in the water they came from. Or I'll get ocean water if i'm at my buddy's beach house. Come at me lol.

Quote:
I love the taste of crab and lobster....legs, claws, etc. Love it.

However, I could never eat them if the whole bug is sitting there on my plate.....like, body, eyes and all. It totally freaks me out, lol.
you of all people, i'm surprised something like that freaks you out. i name my lobsters and let them crawl around the table first before i steam them. i also take the rubber bands off and have them battle each other
JJR4884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 03:03 PM   #16
dreamdrivedrift

My Ride: 99 M3 & 95 325i
Send a message via AIM to dreamdrivedrift
Quote:
you of all people, i'm surprised something like that freaks you out. i name my lobsters and let them crawl around the table first before i steam them. i also take the rubber bands off and have them battle each other
do you use tongs or your bare hands to pick them up?

also to stay on topic, i do not like caviar
Old 03-06-2013, 03:04 PM   #17
evolved

Quote:

I eat tons of strange food, but for some reason I get the heebie jeebies (technical term) with the whole shabang there on my plate. My wife and I are heading to Key West at the end of the month and she's already making fun of me about it since she'll have a lobster/crab at some point during the trip.

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past

E46Sig
Old 03-06-2013, 03:07 PM   #18
Adam@Euro-Spec
Sponsor

Tuna belly is awesome but not worth $15 a slice IMO.

Quote:
Yea most restaurants around here are getting $25/lb for a whole lobster. I guess that is equal with paying $40 for a 10oz filet that would cost you $15 in a market. Its all the same mark up, but ya, they are expensive, and they are typically boiled in regular water. F that. I cut up an onion, carrot, celery, little white wine, red pepper flakes, and I STEAM the lobsters in the water they came from. Or I'll get ocean water if i'm at my buddy's beach house. Come at me lol.
Mark up is the same, but i don't know the wholesale cost of beef haha But that's the main thing...the just boil it in ****ing plain water..least steaks they have a 1500degree grill or a good house made gorgonzola butter or something..not just a ****ing overpriced lobster thrown in a pot.

there is a restaurant i order lobster from but it's stuffed so different and amazing.
Old 03-06-2013, 03:33 PM   #19
Mike Larry

yea i dont really get caviar either. i enjoy the flavor, but not enough for how expensive it is. i would bet that caviar would be real inexpensive if it were readily available.
Old 03-06-2013, 04:01 PM   #20
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Larry View Post
Thought this might be interesting/fun, especially since most expensive food is expensive because of scarcity rather than actual taste.

I don't really get truffle oil. I think it tastes ok, but I've never felt like it adds so much to a dish that it's worth the price. I think it adds a hint of mild flavor and makes food taste different, but I'm not even sure that I actually enjoy the taste.

Plus, I also feel like fancy restaurants love to put it on everything just so they can have the word "truffle" as part of the food description on the menu. It makes food seem fancier than it really is and I don't think people would think it's such a big deal if truffles weren't expensive. Thoughts?
Truffle oil has nothing to do with truffles. It is made be perfumists. You are correct, it's dogsh!t.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/dail...ur-pantry.html

Last edited by NFRs2000nyc; 03-06-2013 at 04:06 PM.
NFRs2000nyc is offline   Reply With Quote