E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > The Showroom

The Showroom
This is the place to show off your BMW to other members of the community. Post pictures and videos of your car and the modifications you have done to it. If you need a picture of something on a coupe, sedan, convertible or touring you will probably find it here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-11-2013, 08:19 AM   #1
truekreation

My Ride: E36, E46, R53
5-Spd TiAg Touring Progression

I've always had a love for estates ever since I was a young chap living in Germany. I searched for about two years to find the right touring and I finally found one just over a year ago. I happened to come across a manual 2002 325XiT in Detroit. After exchanging a few emails I found myself making the four hour trek up to Michigan that weekend. The car was well maintained and came with a lot of history and three sets of wheels: 16" style 45's, 17" winter Borbet Type CA's, and 18" summer VMR CSL's. The touring is pretty much used as a DD and winter mobile while these two are tucked away for the winter. My wife drives a 1993 E36 325is (not shown) when the MINI is put away.

2006 JCW MINI, 2004 Dinan 3

Fuel stop just after picking her up.

These are some of the things I still plan to do.

Exterior:
  • Respray OEM M-Tech I bumper Done
  • Respray hood Done
  • Refinish CSL reps (Hyper Silver or Gunmetal)
  • Repair dings/dents
  • Update to OEM M-Tech II sideskirts/rear bumper
  • Update worn badges (hood/wheels) Have Parts
  • OEM BMW Performance high gloss black grills Done
Interior:
  • OEM Black leather sport steering wheel Done
  • OEM Black/Saddle Brown leather manual sport or M3 seats
  • OEM Black leather armrest retrofit
  • OEM black all-weather cargo tray Done
  • OEM ZHP weighted shift knob Done
  • OEM Aluminum ///M dead pedal Done
  • OEM BMW Performance pedals
  • Dynavin D99+ Navigation
  • Bavarian Soundworks Stage 1 Audio
  • Weathertech Digitalfit Floor mats Done
Lighting:
  • Clear corners/sidemarkers Done
  • OEM Euro clear taillights/third brake light Done
  • Umntiza Orion V4 LED AE's
  • Bi-Xenon FX-R retrofit
Performance:
  • H&R springs and Koni shocks/struts Done
  • Rogue Engineering Rear shock mounts Done
  • OEM reinforcement strut plates Done
  • OEM BMW Performance air intake Done
  • OEM BMW Performance strut brace Have Parts
  • Rogue Engineering Ikon exhaust Have Parts

Closeup of the car before I changed anything.

First things to go were the amber corners and sidemarkers. Soon followed by matte black grills.

I've always planned to swap out the boring front bumper to something a little more exciting. I was elated when I came across a free OEM M-Tech 1 bumper in Indianapolis.

After the trip to Indiana, I noticed the suspension was a bit wonky... lo and behold the culprit. Somehow the CAB had worked it's way out.

After this finding, I decided to refresh a lot of the worn suspension components with the help of some friends.

Rotors/pads and swaybar end-links installed.

All parts replaced:
  • OEM Control arms
  • OEM Sway bar end-links
  • OEM Strut reinforcement plates
  • OEM Rotors front/rear
  • PBR/Axxis Deluxe brake pads front/rear
  • Rogue Engineering rear shock mounts
  • Flushed brake fluid
After these repairs, the touring was pretty much done mechanically. Not to long after winter arrived and the summer CSLs were replaced with the winter Borbet's.

Then I found this bubble in the tire.

Shortly after I bought a new set of winter wheels/tires from a friend.

The weather warmed up and I had a chance to get the aluminum ///M dead pedal retrofitted into the touring.

Before:

After:

Last edited by truekreation; 03-11-2013 at 10:48 AM.
truekreation is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:19 AM   #2
truekreation

The previous owner had actually fitted the sport steering wheel prior to me purchasing which worked out perfectly, one less thing for me to replace. He also upgrade the stalk so that the onboard computer could be used after being enabled by the dealership. Got rid of the horrible aluminum BavAuto shift knob and replaced it with a ZHP knob.

BMW Performance Intake and trunk liner installed. The engine bay is actually pretty clean, except for this layer of dust accumulation from the winter.

OEM rubber cargo tray along with my emergency/med kit, breaker bar, torque wrench, and wheel sockets.

Then one day...

I always try to park as far away as possible from other people and yet my car still manages to get pinged by someone. Someone hit my wheel pulling into a spot in a parking garage. Some tiny scratches on the paint too, but luckily it's around a dent that was already there. Still debating what color to re-paint them, I've always liked gunmetal but hyper silver is just so classy.

Moving forward.

I thought it'd be a simple bumper swap along with the pre-facelift brackets, but it turns out that there are also some brackets on the fender I needed to remove as well. The plastic rivets are a PITA to get out, but thankfully I bought some new ones so I just ripped the old ones out. Also the m-tech brake ducts didn't fit quite right with my wheel well liner, so I still needed to look into that.

Naked wagon:

M-Tech 1 on top, oem stock on bottom:

Back from paint!

I wasn't quite happy with the fitment of the aftermarket matte grills so I opted to get the high gloss black OEM BMW Performance grills.

It was also time to finally get rid of these nasty old mirrors and upgrade them to the euro blindspot glasses.

Last edited by truekreation; 03-11-2013 at 10:31 AM.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:20 AM   #3
truekreation

I think the gauge rings are one of the best $15 dollar mods you can do, it really brightens up the interior. I also now have some decent floor mats (Weathertech DigitalFit all-season mats).

Also got a chance to upgrade the hard oem leather boots to some nice softer leather. Getting the e-brake handle on and off is painful lol. Fitment is pretty spot on so I had to make sure the boots were on just right on the plastic base otherwise the leather would pull. Overall the install wasn't that bad.

Wife surprised me with new OEM tails.

Before:

After (hatch isn't closed all the way in this photo):

I still need to install the white third brake light.

That's it for now, more updates soon.

Last edited by truekreation; 03-11-2013 at 10:47 AM.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:46 AM   #4
THECLEANERBEAMER

My Ride: 2002 325i
Really great progress looks good!
Old 03-11-2013, 10:03 AM   #5
terzinator

My Ride: 325iT 5-sp RWD Sport
Nice. I love TOURING mod threads.

How do you like the BSW Stage 1 speaker upgrade? (Did you do it before the Dynavin, or after?)

E46FANATICS Touring Forum!

Last edited by terzinator; Today at 11:56 PM. REASON: Fear.
terzinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:08 AM   #6
truekreation

Quote:
Originally Posted by terzinator View Post
How do you like the BSW Stage 1 speaker upgrade? (Did you do it before the Dynavin, or after?)
Haven't done them yet, but I do have the Dynavin in my coupe and I love it. I've heard a friends BSW Stage 1 kit and it was much better than my non-HK speakers.

Old 03-11-2013, 12:28 PM   #7
terzinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by truekreation View Post
Haven't done them yet, but I do have the Dynavin in my coupe and I love it. I've heard a friends BSW Stage 1 kit and it was much better than my non-HK speakers.
Ah, yeah... I see now you don't have the word "done" after it in your list!

I definitely want to upgrade the amp and speakers in mine, but the BSW Stage 1 kit doesn't include the rear mid-bass speakers for the wagon. If you go the BSW route, I'll be interested to hear what you find when you do that upgrade, with respect to the rear speakers.

Old 03-11-2013, 07:26 PM   #8
truekreation

Quote:
Originally Posted by terzinator View Post
Ah, yeah... I see now you don't have the word "done" after it in your list!

I definitely want to upgrade the amp and speakers in mine, but the BSW Stage 1 kit doesn't include the rear mid-bass speakers for the wagon. If you go the BSW route, I'll be interested to hear what you find when you do that upgrade, with respect to the rear speakers.
Haha I can understand why they don't sell the rear mid-bass speakers. I had to replace my rear shock mounts which pretty much follows the same process for installing the speakers. Getting to them is crazy, you have to remove the rear seats and most of the rear trim panels/covers. A lot of people don't think it's worth the effort. I'll definitely keep you posted though if I decide on anything.

Last edited by truekreation; 03-12-2013 at 07:05 AM.
Old 03-12-2013, 10:46 AM   #9
terzinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by truekreation View Post
Haha I can understand why they don't sell the rear mid-bass speakers. I had to replace my rear shock mounts which pretty much follows the same process for installing the speakers. Getting to them is crazy, you have to remove the rear seats and most of the rear trim panels/covers. A lot of people don't think it's worth the effort. I'll definitely keep you posted though if I decide on anything.
It would have been really nice had they used removable speaker grilles, and then you could get to the speakers themselves with now-exposed screws. But that would have been too easy.

Old 03-11-2013, 10:31 AM   #10
TallSkinnyMatt

My Ride: E92 M3 ZCP
Wow that looks great Retrofit some projectors, and an Mtech rear and the exterior will be perfect!! Awesome wagon!
TallSkinnyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:42 AM   #11
truekreation

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallSkinnyMatt View Post
Wow that looks great Retrofit some projectors, and an Mtech rear and the exterior will be perfect!! Awesome wagon!
Thanks!

I'm really hoping to get some FX-R's retrofitted from LightWerkz sometime this year. As for the rear, I'm just trying to gather all the part numbers I'll need for the conversion. Good thing we have RealOEM!

Old 03-11-2013, 10:33 AM   #12
BaD~BoY

My Ride: E46 330d
nice car ...
BaD~BoY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 11:38 PM   #13
Johal E32

My Ride: E46 323iT/5, M5 E39
Looks nice!
Old 03-12-2013, 03:13 AM   #14
BBBoy323i
All show no go!

My Ride: 2000 323i Black/Gray
Nice touring! Can't wait till you get everything sorted out
Old 03-12-2013, 07:04 AM   #15
truekreation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johal E32 View Post
Looks nice!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBBoy323i View Post
Nice touring! Can't wait till you get everything sorted out
How's the BMW scene out there? I used to live in Wahiawa, but left before I ever got into euro cars.

Old 03-12-2013, 04:36 PM   #16
BBBoy323i
All show no go!

My Ride: 2000 323i Black/Gray
How's the BMW scene out there? I used to live in Wahiawa, but left before I ever got into euro cars.[/QUOTE]

It's actually pretty good, there is Team BMW Hawaii and most people have M's. Some pretty sick cars and quality mods, makes me feel so lowly in my 323i but yeah I live on the east side so I see some exotic cars at least once a week. JDM scene is still prominent though, mostly with the high schoolers LOL
Old 03-13-2013, 12:56 PM   #17
VMRWheels
Sponsor

My Ride: 1:25 Scale Enzo
Send a message via AIM to VMRWheels Send a message via Yahoo to VMRWheels
Really liking the VB3s on your car, but am sad to see that they got dinged up by careless people!

Facebook! | Flickr! | Blog! | Instagram!
*** WINTER WHEEL/TIRE SALE!! ***
VMRWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 07:53 AM   #18
truekreation

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMRWheels View Post
Really liking the VB3s on your car, but am sad to see that they got dinged up by careless people!
I try so hard to prevent stuff like this but some people just don't care. I'm still debating whether to respray them gunmetal or hyper black.

Also thought about switching to M68's for winter duty instead of the contours. They'd fit with the M-Tech I look better IMO.

Last edited by truekreation; 03-15-2013 at 07:54 AM.
Old 03-16-2013, 12:08 AM   #19
E RaK

My Ride: 2001 325xit
Do it!! Big fan of M68s, especially on an MTech 1
Old 05-31-2013, 02:29 PM   #20
Schlag96
Slightly Modded ///Member

My Ride: 1999 323i
Looking good. Tasteful mods. Love it!
Schlag96 is offline   Reply With Quote