E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Political Talk

Political Talk
You may discuss anything regarding politics in this forum ONLY. If you cannot respect others opinions, your access to this forum will be removed.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-11-2013, 02:36 PM   #1
2000_328CI
DK Jack Sparrow
 
2000_328CI's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Isla de Muerta | DC/VA
Posts: 29,023
My Ride: 328Ci | Range Rover
Send a message via AIM to 2000_328CI Send a message via MSN to 2000_328CI
Judge Dismisses NYC Soda Ban :

Link : http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_2854563.html


NYC Soda Ban Dismissed: Judge Rejects Limit On Large Sugary Drinks As 'Arbitrary, Capricious'
[quote]

A day before New York CIty's unprecedented soda ban was set to begin, Reuters reports a judge has dismissed the restrictions, calling the initiative "arbitrary and capricious."

Since its inception, the controversial plan spearheaded by Mayor Michael Bloomberg has been criticized by the beverage industry and small businesses.


Quote:
With the rule set to take effect March 12, beverage industry, restaurant and other business groups have asked a judge to put it on hold at least until there's a ruling on their lawsuit seeking to block it altogether. The measure would bar many eateries from selling high-sugar drinks in cups or containers bigger than 16 ounces.

"It would be a tremendous waste of expense, time, and effort for our members to incur all of the harm and costs associated with the ban if this court decides that the ban is illegal," Chong Sik Le, president of the New York Korean-American Grocers Association, said in court papers filed Friday.

City lawyers are fighting the lawsuit and oppose postponing the restriction, which the city Board of Health approved in September. They said Tuesday they expect to prevail.

"The obesity epidemic kills nearly 6,000 New Yorkers each year. We see no reason to delay the Board of Health's reasonable and legal actions to combat this major, growing problem," Mark Muschenheim, a city attorney, said in a statement.

Another city lawyer, Thomas Merrill, has said officials believe businesses have had enough time to get ready for the new rule. He has noted that the city doesn't plan to seek fines until June.

Mayor Michael Bloomberg and other city officials see the first-of-its-kind limit as a coup for public health. The city's obesity rate is rising, and studies have linked sugary drinks to weight gain, they note.

"This is the biggest step a city has taken to curb obesity," Bloomberg said when the measure passed.
__________________

Everything you need to know on muffler deletes : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=745244
2000_328CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 02:41 PM   #2
Zell
Registered User
 
Zell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Such City
Posts: 5,635
My Ride: '02 Dogemobile Shibe
But how do I supposed to know what I can eat or drink if the government doesn't tell me?!!! HELP, I CAN'T MAKE MY OWN DECISIONS
__________________
Zell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 03:04 PM   #3
DylloS
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: NY
Posts: 672
My Ride: nothing
I'm iffy on this thing. The govt has no business telling us we can't drink soda and still allows us to smoke but I know for a fact the average person would think a breakfast consisting of 3 eggs, and 3 strips of bacon is worse for them then a 44oz coke and that's what bugs me. I think a huge portion of people are fat simply because they drink too many calories.
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 03:11 PM   #4
Zell
Registered User
 
Zell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Such City
Posts: 5,635
My Ride: '02 Dogemobile Shibe
Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
I'm iffy on this thing. The govt has no business telling us we can't drink soda and still allows us to smoke but I know for a fact the average person would think a breakfast consisting of 3 eggs, and 3 strips of bacon is worse for them then a 44oz coke and that's what bugs me. I think a huge portion of people are fat simply because they drink too many calories.
That's exactly why most people are fat. I'd say like 95% of them.

No one is putting a gun to their heads and saying that they HAVE to eat like total ****. No one says you have to get fries with that, or get a Big Mac, or eat deep-fried foods. That lawyer sounds like a complete moron - the obesity epidemic taking lives, as if it's an uncontrollable plague that will strike down an unsuspecting innocent bystander.

"HELP, I GOT HIT WITH THE OBESITY! I ONLY HAVE 20 YEARS LEFT TO LIVE! HOW DO I FIX THIS?! omnomnomnom"
__________________
Zell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 03:12 PM   #5
Grande D
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: PA
Posts: 3,312
My Ride: Whiiiite BMW!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zell View Post
That's exactly why most people are fat. I'd say like 95% of them.

No one is putting a gun to their heads and saying that they HAVE to eat like total ****. No one says you have to get fries with that, or get a Big Mac, or eat deep-fried foods. That lawyer sounds like a complete moron - the obesity epidemic taking lives, as if it's an uncontrollable plague that will strike down an unsuspecting innocent bystander.

"HELP, I GOT HIT WITH THE OBESITY! I ONLY HAVE 20 YEARS LEFT TO LIVE! HOW DO I FIX THIS?! omnomnomnom"
Yes, but every taxpayer pays for obesity coming or going. Dismissing the ban doesn't really solve anything.

Depressing isn't it?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymalls View Post
dont listen to these fuQ faces... just go to a junk yard and get a used complete left rear end. i cracked my left rear control arm on the highway because i was driving w/o shocks... lol! ***Was too busy caking on these bitches instead of taking care my car!***
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 03:09 PM   #6
Grande D
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: PA
Posts: 3,312
My Ride: Whiiiite BMW!
What a waste of taxpayer money. And by that I mean everything from the law to the challenging of the law.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymalls View Post
dont listen to these fuQ faces... just go to a junk yard and get a used complete left rear end. i cracked my left rear control arm on the highway because i was driving w/o shocks... lol! ***Was too busy caking on these bitches instead of taking care my car!***
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 03:11 PM   #7
casino is no lie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: CDT
Posts: 76
My Ride: M54B30
I think Government intervention was out of line in this situation. However, how fat and stupid do people have to be for it to even get to this point?
__________________
casino is no lie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 05:01 PM   #8
2000_328CI
DK Jack Sparrow
 
2000_328CI's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Isla de Muerta | DC/VA
Posts: 29,023
My Ride: 328Ci | Range Rover
Send a message via AIM to 2000_328CI Send a message via MSN to 2000_328CI
Quote:
Originally Posted by casino is no lie View Post
I think Government intervention was out of line in this situation. However, how fat and stupid do people have to be for it to even get to this point?
Very... and they are getting dumber and dumber every day.. do you know why? Because they can. The government (and many politicians who would like to buy votes) have said "hey don't worry.. that's not YOUR fault.. it's the fault of the system (insert food companies, big tobacco, drug companies, whatever)..

They look for a scapegoat and offer to "fix it for you".

How many people bought the "ab electrifier".. or whatever it's called. "You can now get a six pack on your couch". How dumb can people be?
__________________

Everything you need to know on muffler deletes : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=745244
2000_328CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 05:05 PM   #9
dreamdrivedrift
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Ithaca, NY --> Baltimore, MD
Posts: 6,460
My Ride: 99 M3 & 95 325i
Send a message via AIM to dreamdrivedrift
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_328CI View Post
Very... and they are getting dumber and dumber every day.. do you know why? Because they can. The government (and many politicians who would like to buy votes) have said "hey don't worry.. that's not YOUR fault.. it's the fault of the system (insert food companies, big tobacco, drug companies, whatever)..

They look for a scapegoat and offer to "fix it for you".

How many people bought the "ab electrifier".. or whatever it's called. "You can now get a six pack on your couch". How dumb can people be?
people are dumb.

education is key, but it is slow. a quick way to induce change is by taxing the sh!t out of people for buying fast food so that it's no longer economically advantageous to buy fast food, and simultaneously incentive-ize offering healthy options
__________________
Chris
dreamdrivedrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 03:29 PM   #10
cowmoo32
drunken science
 
cowmoo32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 5,532
My Ride: Trek 1.5
We'll be paying more for the universal healthcare taking care of the idiots drinking 64oz at a time than was wasted on the law. We're screwed either way.
__________________

flickher

What's this about a brownie in motion?
cowmoo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 03:32 PM   #11
casino is no lie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: CDT
Posts: 76
My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmoo32 View Post
We'll be paying more for the universal healthcare taking care of the idiots drinking 64oz at a time than was wasted on the law. We're screwed either way.
One can only hope they will die from a heart attack before their diabetes sets in. You and I both know they won't be costing tax payers money from preventive care check-ups.

But if they manage to survive their first heart attack...

__________________
casino is no lie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 03:39 PM   #12
choxor
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 4,316
My Ride: JDM
This has never made sense to me.
__________________
choxor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 03:41 PM   #13
GRIFFIN
NWS
 
GRIFFIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: California
Posts: 1,700
My Ride: 04 330i zsp,zpp,zcw
i will have a triple cheeseburger and a liter of diet cola. Trying to watch my weight.
__________________

** Removed - Please stop - Tim330i **
*NWS GIF REMOVED*
*GIF REMOVED*
* Continuing to put animated images in your sig will get you banned - Tim330i *
**You make me so horny.- Tim330i **
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedges View Post
I can honestly say that because of Griffin, i am desensitized to alot of wierd stuff!
GRIFFIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 03:44 PM   #14
choxor
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 4,316
My Ride: JDM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRIFFIN View Post
i will have a triple cheeseburger and a liter of diet cola. Trying to watch my weight.
If you put tomato and lettuce on it then it's healthy like a salad!
__________________
choxor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 04:06 PM   #15
SLVR JDM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Work
Posts: 1,522
My Ride: reclining rear seats
Quote:
Originally Posted by choxor View Post
If you put tomato and lettuce on it then it's healthy like a salad!
This is the way my in laws think. No kidding.

They heard somewhere that cinnamon is good for you and how did they decide to up their cinnamon intake? Cinnamon Toast Crunch

Nevermind the fact that they had no idea what the cinnamon was actually supposed to do...
__________________


** Removed **
SLVR JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 04:02 PM   #16
pakman3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: FL
Posts: 279
My Ride: piece
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRIFFIN View Post
i will have a triple cheeseburger and a liter of cola

__________________
pakman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 03:44 PM   #17
Born Again
Registered User
 
Born Again's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Tis quite a statement. Where do you live - where do we all live? in our minds? our souls? our bodies?
Posts: 4,660
My Ride: She aint much 330ci
Well people are too stupid to take responsibility for themselves.

Seriously you're an adult and still drinking soda? Grow up.

These overweight (not obese) unfit soda drinkers are the same people that b1tch about the drain of Medicare/Medicade on our country but don't realize that it's this unhealthy lifestyle that contributes to that very issue.

IMO there should be a HiGh Tax on soda and fast food.
__________________

best mod to date : OEM grocery bag holder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zell View Post
E46Fanatics - the Honda community of gun owners. Keep staying classy, I'm sure you all are going to be excellent examples of how to keep gun rights from being infringed. :facepalm:

Last edited by Born Again; 03-11-2013 at 03:45 PM.
Born Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 04:07 PM   #18
cowmoo32
drunken science
 
cowmoo32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 5,532
My Ride: Trek 1.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Again View Post
Well people are too stupid to take responsibility for themselves.

Seriously you're an adult and still drinking soda? Grow up.

These overweight (not obese) unfit soda drinkers are the same people that b1tch about the drain of Medicare/Medicade on our country but don't realize that it's this unhealthy lifestyle that contributes to that very issue.

IMO there should be a HiGh Tax on soda and fast food.
Are you going to tax similarly unhealthy foods too? Should Ramen be taxed? It's cheap and loaded with sodium. What about Spam? Bacon? Where do you draw the line? It isn't a matter of the food itself, but the people eating it. They have zero self control and aren't likely up to speed on the ins and outs of nutrition. I see it more of a matter of poor nutritional eduation and general apathy toward health than anything else.
__________________

flickher

What's this about a brownie in motion?

Last edited by cowmoo32; 03-11-2013 at 04:08 PM.
cowmoo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 04:08 PM   #19
SLVR JDM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Work
Posts: 1,522
My Ride: reclining rear seats
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmoo32 View Post
Are you going to tax similarly unhealthy foods to? Should Ramen be taxed? It's cheap and loaded with sodium. What about Spam? Bacon? Where do you draw the line? It isn't a matter of the food itself, but the people eating it. They have zero self control and aren't likely up to speed on the ins and outs of nutrition. I see it more of a matter of poor nutritional eduation and general apathy toward health than anything else.
You shut your mouth about bacon being unhealthy...it is nature's perfect food. Anyone with a brain can taste that fact.
__________________


** Removed **
SLVR JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 04:13 PM   #20
Born Again
Registered User
 
Born Again's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Tis quite a statement. Where do you live - where do we all live? in our minds? our souls? our bodies?
Posts: 4,660
My Ride: She aint much 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmoo32 View Post
Are you going to tax similarly unhealthy foods too? Should Ramen be taxed? It's cheap and loaded with sodium. What about Spam? Bacon? Where do you draw the line? It isn't a matter of the food itself, but the people eating it. They have zero self control and aren't likely up to speed on the ins and outs of nutrition. I see it more of a matter of poor nutritional eduation and general apathy toward health than anything else.
Good points.

Companies need to be more socially responsible.

Government should consider taxing them or having them subsidize healthcare.
__________________

best mod to date : OEM grocery bag holder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zell View Post
E46Fanatics - the Honda community of gun owners. Keep staying classy, I'm sure you all are going to be excellent examples of how to keep gun rights from being infringed. :facepalm:
Born Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use