E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-26-2009, 01:24 PM   #41
Richneerd

My Ride: Abarth
Update: I got my software updated too! and omg it's like a brand new car.

I went to Steven Creek BMW in San Jose and my service advisor told me he knows about this problem and it happen's to E46's all the time. I just went in, 15 minutes later got the car out and off i went. No service charge, so yes re flashing your software with a new updated software to solve transmission jerk is the answer.
Richneerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 02:52 PM   #42
iansanderson

My Ride: 2001 330CiC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arby1028 View Post
Gentlemen - please try this FREE technique prior to chaning your tranny fluid or having the dealer reflash your software. Disconnect your battery for a couple minutes and it will reset your tranny software. I had this same transmission downshift jerk and this cured it for me almost instantly.

While this resets the adaptations in the DME and EGS, the problem will most likely return. The only true solution is a software update. The adaptations are only sensor related, and once the sensor adaptations are relearned, the clunk will return. The new software changes shift mappings and solenoid actions while downshifting which will eliminate the clunk.
iansanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 10:29 PM   #43
Bobk528

My Ride: 3 series
Quote:
Originally Posted by iansanderson View Post
While this resets the adaptations in the DME and EGS, the problem will most likely return. The only true solution is a software update. The adaptations are only sensor related, and once the sensor adaptations are relearned, the clunk will return. The new software changes shift mappings and solenoid actions while downshifting which will eliminate the clunk.
I have a 2002 330Xi with automatic transmission and it jerks when I slowly accelerate from a complete stop. Will re-flashing with a software change eliminate this bothersome problem?
Bobk528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 01:56 PM   #44
Arby1028

My Ride: 2002 330i Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by iansanderson View Post
So for temporary relief do the battery disconnect!!
Arby1028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 06:02 PM   #45
ComputerGeek

My Ride: BMW E46 2001
I have an 01 330i with performance package...it just started hesitating at 5500 rpms, only when in gear...do you think the software update will fix that too...also, how often should I service the trans. and is there a diy for a trans flush? thanks
ComputerGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 06:25 PM   #46
Shannon C

My Ride: Fern Green 318i exec
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arby1028 View Post
So for temporary relief do the battery disconnect!!

Yes, just did this on mine with an immediate improvement but I'm thinking it will return after "adaptive driving" kicks in.

LED Tails / LED Plate Lights / LED Interior Lights / Angel Eyes / Smoked Corners / Smoked Side Indicators / Low beams - Narva Arctic Blue / High beams - Narva Plus 50 / Gauge Rings / Black Grille / Roof Spoiler / Boot Lip Spolier / Licence Plate Holder Deleted / Tinted windows / Style 44 Wheels/Coilovers.
Shannon C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 08:16 PM   #47
ComputerGeek

I did the "key in 2nd position and pressed the pedal to the floor for 30 sec." it seemed to work. I still want to change the tranny fluid...is it possible to avoid the stealership and do it myself? I called Crevier BMW in CA and the service advisor was very rude and said I have to bring it in for a service before they can tell me if I am in need of a software upgrade...anyone know any honest BMW techs that can update my cars software here in OC?
Old 05-31-2009, 08:20 PM   #48
ComputerGeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richneerd View Post
Update: I got my software updated too! and omg it's like a brand new car.

I went to Steven Creek BMW in San Jose and my service advisor told me he knows about this problem and it happen's to E46's all the time. I just went in, 15 minutes later got the car out and off i went. No service charge, so yes re flashing your software with a new updated software to solve transmission jerk is the answer.
We need service like that here in Southern California....the service departments at Shelly, Irvine and Crevier wont even give me the time of day unless I want to bring it in for a major service first! What a rip-off!
Old 06-02-2009, 09:36 AM   #49
Denlin68

My Ride: 335i -->330i
Send a message via AIM to Denlin68
WOW my 2003 330i has the same prob. Mad annoying. I do notice it only in the morning and gone after car heats up. anyone knows the exact software needed ?

Last edited by Denlin68; 06-02-2009 at 09:41 AM.
Denlin68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 07:27 PM   #50
tigermooch

My Ride: E46 Sport Package
I had mine re-flashed for $210 + CA tax. It worked for a couple of hours then a slight jerking came back.. A couple days later it went back jerking when it slows down going to a stop. I have my tranny fluid changed. Bushings were verified.. Help....... Refer to this bulletin: http://img240.imageshack.us/img240/8060/image001si5.jpg or

Last edited by tigermooch; 06-10-2009 at 07:30 PM.
tigermooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 08:13 AM   #51
atcdork

My Ride: 323
My '03 325i has the same rough downshift issue. It only happens occasionally, and then after the car has been driven for a while.
But...
whenever my tranny does this rough downshifting, it is preceded with the a/c compressor kicking off and not coming back on, although it's 90 degrees here now and it should be cycling on.
These two always happen together. What would the tranny and a/c have in common?
atcdork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 10:47 AM   #52
steve.325i

My Ride: 2003 325i
Had my car since August 2008 & have experienced this from the beginning.

I've just replaced pads & rotors all around & it did not fix the bump while slowing down. I really thought it was a teh brakes grabing when cold.

I have just made an appointment & RMP Motors for tomorrow morning to get reprogrammed. I will report back.
steve.325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 07:09 AM   #53
maxi

My Ride: BMW E46 328I, 1999
I had the same prob. with my 328i 99 Jatco trans. ( Imported form Japan)happen only when cold in 1st & 2nd, then in the high way between 3-4th when downshift only. It seem need updating as it cleared in the TIS for e36. I'm not sure if the same prob. for e46.
Any new news. please feed back. I'm trying battery disconnect, hope this will help a little. I have already did the trick of key & depress for 30 sec. didnt solve it.
maxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 01:44 AM   #54
steve.325i

Ok, so good so far. I went to RMP Motors this morning & for $60 I had my 2003 325i reprogramed.

No downshifting clunks all day. We'll see how it goes ...
Old 07-12-2009, 07:44 AM   #55
Arby1028

My Ride: 2002 330i Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon C View Post
Yes, just did this on mine with an immediate improvement but I'm thinking it will return after "adaptive driving" kicks in.
Glad you got some temporary relief at least...
Arby1028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 06:34 PM   #56
Shannon C

Yep, it has returned to the usual clunk.

LED Tails / LED Plate Lights / LED Interior Lights / Angel Eyes / Smoked Corners / Smoked Side Indicators / Low beams - Narva Arctic Blue / High beams - Narva Plus 50 / Gauge Rings / Black Grille / Roof Spoiler / Boot Lip Spolier / Licence Plate Holder Deleted / Tinted windows / Style 44 Wheels/Coilovers.
Old 07-13-2009, 02:48 PM   #57
steve.325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon C View Post
Yep, it has returned to the usual clunk.
Interesting. Mine is still ok after the programming. How long did it take for it to return?
Old 07-13-2009, 06:28 PM   #58
Shannon C

I only did the battery disconnect - haven't had time to get software loaded as yet.

Old 07-17-2009, 09:57 AM   #59
helveticaXi

My Ride: 325xi & imola ZHP
Had the transmission software upgraded yesterday, and now the jerk during the 2 --> 1 downshift is gone and it's smooth as butter!
helveticaXi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 03:00 PM   #60
steve.325i

I had it reprogrammed two weeks ago today & the bump has not returned.

For a few days after programming I did notice a slight rpm flare between upshifts, 2-3 being the most noticeable, but that cleaned it self up after a few days of learning.

Tags
jolt, stopping, transmission