E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-29-2009, 01:14 AM   #21
mikeluvdakids

My Ride: 3 pedals + 6 gears
Send a message via AIM to mikeluvdakids Send a message via Yahoo to mikeluvdakids
Quote:
Originally Posted by 330i ZHP View Post
in
isn't your sedan WELL over 400 almost 500hp?
Old 05-29-2009, 01:40 AM   #22
GTUnit

My Ride: short bus
Send a message via AIM to GTUnit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attaus View Post
There are two problems, one of which is that nobody wants to invest into a kit for the 330, and the second is nobody really knows much about the M54 block. "Experts" out there claim that the M54 can't take more than 400hp because of the aluminum block, however this has never been proven to be true.
What kind of proof do you want? Have them build motors and have them blow up? Who is going to foot the bill for that? Experienced builders dont want to spend money on something they see weaknesses in. You also have to allow for a "margin of safety" when building a motor. You cannot run it at its limit. Some dumbass customer will do something stupid and come to complaining your kit blew up and sucks and they want their money back.

Quote:
Let's look at the facts; the M54B30 is composed of an aluminim alloy block, forged steel connecting rods, and a one-piece forged crank. To me, this motor seems overbuilt.
Based on what? No offense but what qualifications/knowledge/experience do you have to make such an assumption?

The materials used dont mean anything if the structure cannot support the forces involved. The body on my car is made of steel. I can punch a large size dent in the side of it. If that body were 1/4 thick of the same material I would break my hand. See the difference? The shape/structure also matters.

There is a lot that goes into motor design to allow it to hold a certain amount of power.

Quote:
The only weak point I can see is the 10.5:1 compression, which can be compensated for in a couple of different ways. Some claim that the aluminum isn't able to hold the heat of more power and will crack, however with today's technology IAT's can be as low as 70 degrees. I've been looking around for the heat capacity of the al-sil block, but I haven't found a definite answer.
Coming out of a turbo the IAT will be closer to 100 degrees.
Aluminum is better for turbocharging because it conducts heat away from the combustion chamber faster. Lower burn temperatures allow you to run more boost or a higher compression ratio.
Once again you are discussing things you seem to have little background on and making generalizations based on opinions and feelings.

Quote:
The evidence to prove that 400hp is not the limit can be found in KromeX's car, a 330i with over 430whp, that has been running for a couple of years. He has a well-built, but simple setup, including head studs, new pistons and rods, and a new HG.
How much power a car can handle for how long also depends on how it is used, the tune, the way it is loaded, cooling, propensity to detonate, ect.

Quote:
I understand that there is limited availability for the 330, but turbo manifolds can be found, and that's really the only model-specific turbo part you need. IC pipes, lines, turbos, are all universal. The only hinging point is the tuning, which would need to be sourced.
The tuning, internals, and fuel system are the most important parts.

Quote:
I wanted to bring this topic to the table and have a good technical discussion about why or why not the 330 can make more than 400hp because the answer still seems to be up in the air. What do you think?
It is always good to discuss. You need to get a good look at a motor (block) in pieces to see how well it is built. You look at web thickness, types of cylinder liners, upper deck stability and layout, main bearing support, oiling system (critical), ect. Many factors. If people want to put up the cash then we can build a kit.
Old 05-29-2009, 02:00 AM   #23
B33MER

My Ride: 330i SMG M-Sport
Subscribed
CF Roundels all around, Black grillz, 7000k Angel eyes,6300k HID fog lights, Hamman Lip reps, ACS roof spoiler reps, Alutech front and rear struts, BMC CDA with DIY heatshield, Pro RS braided brake line, ///M Billet Oil Cap, OEM ///M mats, ///M aluminium pedals,

B33MER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 02:59 AM   #24
Attaus

My Ride: '03 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTUnit View Post
What kind of proof do you want? Have them build motors and have them blow up? Who is going to foot the bill for that? Experienced builders dont want to spend money on something they see weaknesses in. You also have to allow for a "margin of safety" when building a motor. You cannot run it at its limit. Some dumbass customer will do something stupid and come to complaining your kit blew up and sucks and they want their money back.
Blowing up motors is part of building fast cars. If something hasn't given out yet, you aren't making enough power.

Quote:
Based on what? No offense but what qualifications/knowledge/experience do you have to make such an assumption?
Because forged parts are used on every single serious performance motor from 500-1500+hp. When you swap out a crankshaft in any other car, you go for a forged 1 piece. You don't need forged steel parts on a 220hp 3.0L I6 that revs to 6.5k RPM. Saying it's overbuilt is not a drawback.. it's a compliment.

Quote:
The materials used dont mean anything if the structure cannot support the forces involved. The body on my car is made of steel. I can punch a large size dent in the side of it. If that body were 1/4 thick of the same material I would break my hand. See the difference? The shape/structure also matters.
I actually have no idea what you are saying. Something about punching steel?

Using the same example, you punching the side of the body has no effect on anything other than cosmetics. The materials used are everything.. you don't get it. I posted everything from what the block is made of to what the rods are made of.

Quote:
There is a lot that goes into motor design to allow it to hold a certain amount of power.
No, there is a lot of motor design to withstand the stress of the power the engine makes for hundreds of thousands of miles. Occasionally this means overbuilding. Most companies, even with performance cars, are indifferent how much power the engine can make with the stock block. That explains why some cars, like the 2JZ and 03/04 Cobra motor can take 800whp stock, and some - like the LT1, have hyperpeutic pistons that can only take ~400whp stock. However, my Z28 had 160,000 hard miles and it started every time.

Quote:
Coming out of a turbo the IAT will be closer to 100 degrees.
Google intercoolers and methanol injection. Those help lower IAT's.

Quote:
Aluminum is better for turbocharging because it conducts heat away from the combustion chamber faster. Lower burn temperatures allow you to run more boost or a higher compression ratio.
Which is exactly why this thread exists. Thank you for pointing that out.

Quote:
Once again you are discussing things you seem to have little background on and making generalizations based on opinions and feelings.
I'm posting based on what little knowledge is available. By all means, if you know more than I do, post it up. But from my standpoint all you're doing is nitpicking my post with invalid points.

Quote:
How much power a car can handle for how long also depends on how it is used, the tune, the way it is loaded, cooling, propensity to detonate, ect.
Let's ask him to give us a log of exactly how much power he ran for how long. Orr... we can just assume he boosts as much as the average driver would.

Quote:
The tuning, internals, and fuel system are the most important parts.
I would think a turbocharger would be the most important part on a turbo kit.

That's your opinion and I never made a claim at what the most important parts are.

I said that tuning would need to be found, and certain parts are universal and can be purchased from anyone. Internals can be found, too, as can a fuel system.

'03 330Ci 5spd PP
Alpine Type R, MRP 500

Last edited by Attaus; 05-29-2009 at 01:21 PM.
Attaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 07:02 AM   #25
aggieE46
Keep it clean

My Ride: 03 Evo, 07 Passat
Send a message via AIM to aggieE46
Let's keep this an informative discussion, not a finger pointing session. People need to stop face-palming unless they want this thread to go to crap.
Old 05-29-2009, 09:06 AM   #26
330i ZHP

My Ride: have 5 doors and FI
Send a message via AIM to 330i ZHP Send a message via Yahoo to 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeluvdakids View Post
isn't your sedan WELL over 400 almost 500hp?
shhh - I am just watching this...

and not yet...hopefully this week (dme finally being programmed for the bigger injectors and 8psi more FI)
Old 05-29-2009, 10:05 AM   #27
Dirtboy
Grüne Hölle Junkie

My Ride: ESS TS2+ 330Ci
Send a message via Yahoo to Dirtboy
Quote:
and not yet...hopefully this week (dme finally being programmed for the bigger injectors and 8psi more FI)

Side note- I hate you!

oh, subscribed...
Old 05-29-2009, 10:21 AM   #28
330i ZHP

My Ride: have 5 doors and FI
Send a message via AIM to 330i ZHP Send a message via Yahoo to 330i ZHP
hey, dont hate...this has been a long wait...and hopefully it will be done soon
Old 05-29-2009, 10:28 AM   #29
aggieE46
Keep it clean

8 more psi? How will I ever catch you now? I guess I'll need 2 bottles

Quote:
Old 05-29-2009, 11:22 AM   #30
HighBoostin330

My Ride: 2002 Stock 330Ci
Quote:
Activ3- If it was about sheer power, I wouldn't drive a BMW. Hell, for the amount I spent upgrade from my LT1 Z28 to the 330Ci I could've had 800whp in the Camaro..but it had 160k miles, no AC, and only 2 working speakers. The BMW is a huge upgrade to say the least. And while the Z28 could actually put down that 800whp, it couldn't really handle. It wasn't bad, but the steering rack alone on the 3'er is 1000x better.

A lot of you seem to be thinking that a turbo kit will cost much more than what you've seen on TT or anywhere else. The fact is.. the whole point of a custom kit is that it is less expensive to make. You don't spend all of that effort building to pay more money. Tuning shops scare you with up front costs because they need to build these kits on a massive scale and test them endlessly. If they told you custom tuning a kit was a better solution, they wouldn't be very good at what they do, would they? That isn't to say it's always a better solution, but if you can do it, it will certainly be more cost effective.. and will probably put out more power.

Now that I think about it, 400whp would probably be more than enough power. The nice thing about getting a turbo to make that much is that you don't risk daily driveability like with a supercharger. Near-stock power is a turn of a knob away. Obviously the supercharger has its advantages as well, but getting stock mileage, and still being able to whoop up on a 350Z at a moments notice is always nice.

I'm going to do some research and keep you guys posted on whether or not the stud problem can be fixed.
Trust me, you will get use to the 400rwhp on a 330 very quickly. Since you are after the HP race, how can you say that 400rwhp is enough power when you are comparing the 800rwhp Camaro you could have built in your garage?

The stud problem is that if you use the ARP studs, they are simply too hard and will pull the threads in the head out. The OEM head bolts allow it to stretch with the soft Al block.

If you want, you can buy the extra M54 block I have that is already time-serted and you can R&D a kit to sell. It even comes with brand new OEM pistons.

I was able to whoop on stock 350Z in my older setup.
HighBoostin330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 11:36 AM   #31
aggieE46
Keep it clean

I couldn't get my friend to race me My buddy drove both our cars. He thought I'd have him from a dig, but he'd get me up top. I'm hoping to find out next weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighBoostin330 View Post
I was able to whoop on stock 350Z in my older setup.
Old 05-29-2009, 12:05 PM   #32
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss

My Ride: 330i, 330Ci
Quote:
Maybe from what you've heard, but I have heard everything from the head lifting to the block cracking.
I'm just curious who you heard of the head lifting from, because the data I have says we aren't producing enough cylinder pressure to achieve this. (Yet)

I suspect I may be the only person to see over 400rwtq on an M54...and my head hasn't lifted.

The only cracked blocks I know of are from over-reving an engine.

It is true that the M54 aluminum block has a potentially weaker structure than that of an iron block of similar design. But, this is only from a metalurgical point of view, and may not apply to this application. The only way to find out is to start stepping up the power ladder and taking carefull measurements along the way.

BTW, do you have deep pockets? This "ladder" isn't cheap.
PEI330Ci is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 12:06 PM   #33
Arsevader

My Ride: '90 325i, '02 325it
Quote:
Originally Posted by 330i zhp View Post
hey, dont hate...this has been a long wait...and hopefully it will be done soon
+1

- James

'85 E30 325e
'90 E30 325i
'02 E46 325it
'03 E46 320i

'96 Volvo 850R

Arsevader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 12:33 PM   #34
Activ3

My Ride: gets DRIVEN.
Send a message via AIM to Activ3
Quote:
Activ3- If it was about sheer power, I wouldn't drive a BMW. Hell, for the amount I spent upgrade from my LT1 Z28 to the 330Ci I could've had 800whp in the Camaro..but it had 160k miles, no AC, and only 2 working speakers. The BMW is a huge upgrade to say the least. And while the Z28 could actually put down that 800whp, it couldn't really handle. It wasn't bad, but the steering rack alone on the 3'er is 1000x better.

A lot of you seem to be thinking that a turbo kit will cost much more than what you've seen on TT or anywhere else. The fact is.. the whole point of a custom kit is that it is less expensive to make. You don't spend all of that effort building to pay more money. Tuning shops scare you with up front costs because they need to build these kits on a massive scale and test them endlessly. If they told you custom tuning a kit was a better solution, they wouldn't be very good at what they do, would they? That isn't to say it's always a better solution, but if you can do it, it will certainly be more cost effective.. and will probably put out more power.

Now that I think about it, 400whp would probably be more than enough power. The nice thing about getting a turbo to make that much is that you don't risk daily driveability like with a supercharger. Near-stock power is a turn of a knob away. Obviously the supercharger has its advantages as well, but getting stock mileage, and still being able to whoop up on a 350Z at a moments notice is always nice.

I'm going to do some research and keep you guys posted on whether or not the stud problem can be fixed.

Notice the comparison cars I mentioned were also bmw's, that in stock form would outhandle the 330, and would also make more power for the $$. Also please explain how a supercharger risks daily driveability? Myself and many others on here have been running our SC kits for 30k+ miles A 323/325 with a $4000 SC kit will beat up on a stock 350z, and 328/330s will walk them HARD... ask me how I know. A custom kit would end up costing more $ and time than it's worth IMO, and that's even if you can find someone willing to tune your hardware.

As Brian stated, the problem isn't with the studs, it's with the threads in the block. I know of a particular car being built right now, hoping to get 450+rwhp with the b30 + turbo. It isn't going to be cheap, but it'll definitely be interesting to see how it turns out.

Adam's motor is an exception. It's not in our league anymore lol.

Activ3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 12:47 PM   #35
phrozen06

My Ride: E46, E92 M3, R32 VW
Send a message via Yahoo to phrozen06
Good thread as I plan to go FI sometime next year

S65: 4.0 Liter, V8, 414 hp @8,300 rpm, 295 lb/ft @3900 rpm, 445 lb, DOHC, 12:1 C/R, crankshaft 44 lb, wet sump.
2 oil pumps,double vanos variable valve timing, EMS: MSS60, 8 electronically controlled individual throttle butterflies.
4 valves per cylinder, cracked trapezoidal connecting rods, brake energy regeneration. Ion-flow combustion monitoring.

phrozen06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 12:48 PM   #36
BimmerDude18

My Ride: 1998 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Activ3 View Post
Notice the comparison cars I mentioned were also bmw's, that in stock form would outhandle the 330, and would also make more power for the $$. Also please explain how a supercharger risks daily driveability? Myself and many others on here have been running our SC kits for 30k+ miles A 323/325 with a $4000 SC kit will beat up on a stock 350z, and 328/330s will walk them HARD... ask me how I know. A custom kit would end up costing more $ and time than it's worth IMO, and that's even if you can find someone willing to tune your hardware.

As Brian stated, the problem isn't with the studs, it's with the threads in the block. I know of a particular car being built right now, hoping to get 450+rwhp with the b30 + turbo. It isn't going to be cheap, but it'll definitely be interesting to see how it turns out.

I wanna try this race (please note others in thread, HR Z >> DE Z, 2003-2006 = DE, 2007-2008 = HR). I'm 99% sure I'd take Stan, it should be a decent race, but I still think I'd have an advantage ona b25 running 8 psi or less

1998 528i 5-speed Work in progress
1988 Toyota Pickup (4WD 5-speed) daily
2007 San Marino Blue 350z 6-speed sold
1996 328i 5-speed sold

www.e46nonM.com - www.precision-sport.com - www.flyingwindowtinters.com - www.techniquetuning.com
BimmerDude18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 12:57 PM   #37
HighBoostin330

Quote:
Originally Posted by Activ3 View Post

Can we just classify Adam's motor as a freak of nature?
Old 05-29-2009, 01:02 PM   #38
GIO_21

My Ride: Active HKS Blown
Send a message via AIM to GIO_21
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerDude18 View Post
I wanna try this race (please note others in thread, HR Z >> DE Z, 2003-2006 = DE, 2007-2008 = HR). I'm 99% sure I'd take Stan, it should be a decent race, but I still think I'd have an advantage ona b25 running 8 psi or less
Stan someones calling u out, lets see a video would be a good one
Old 05-29-2009, 01:03 PM   #39
HighBoostin330

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIO_21 View Post
Stan someones calling u out, lets see a video would be a good one
Old 05-29-2009, 01:22 PM   #40
Attaus

My Ride: '03 330Ci
J.C.. I need to stop posting so late.

A couple of corrections. Activ3- I meant you won't get as good of mileage with a supercharger, as it is always on. A turbocharger can be virtually turned off and factory mpg will be retained. That isn't to say a better option, just something to think about.

As far as the 350Z.. I don't know why I mentioned that. They are a joke. Z06's are not out of range if the other guy can't drive.

To you guys who have more than 400hp, have you done anything to the bottom end?

'03 330Ci 5spd PP
Alpine Type R, MRP 500
Attaus is offline   Reply With Quote