E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-25-2009, 05:19 PM   #1
justin311

My Ride: Black ci
Doors won't lock/unlock from remote anymore.

Hi,
I need some inputs here. I somehow can't use my remote to lock/unlock my doors or trunk anymore. The cabin lights wont turn on either. At first, I thought it was the battery. Wrong, I replaced it but still nothing.
Here is what I notice. I can still lock/unlock my door using the keyhole. Even from inside, the central lock button will still work.
It used to auto lock when I drive to a certain speed but not anymore.
I have read around and some say it could be the GM5 or actuators.
Another option for me is to install aftermarket remote/security system to it since it doesn't have one.
Will it work?

Please help. Thank you.

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-25-2009, 05:26 PM   #2
Chris-TK

My Ride: Mk VI GTI
I wouldn't say your GM5 or actuator. I will bet money on the fact that the memory on your key is gone and that you need to reprogram it.
Old 04-25-2009, 06:13 PM   #3
oAllElseFailo

My Ride: 328Ci
That's happened to me about 2 times on an older car, just had to replace the batteries inside the remote. Take it to any type of electrical/alarm car place and they can get an aftermarket one to work if that's the route you plan to take.
Old 04-25-2009, 07:13 PM   #4
gatsby98

My Ride: 2003 330ci
Go use the second key and see what happens. If the second key works - use it. Otherwise it will cost you around $200 for a new key. I presume your car is a 2001+, becuase the key units are sealed and you can't change the battery.

Same thing happened to my wife's car this week after she picked it up from the detailing place.
gatsby98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 08:12 PM   #5
justin311

Thank you for all of your replies. In fact my spare key's battery was dead, therefore I cut the old shell out and replaced the battery on the chip. I bought a new blank key with shell and got it cut. So, it is the matter of putting them together and program.
Since you said it could be the memory, and that happens to be my main key, what can i do?
Old 04-25-2009, 11:57 PM   #6
justin311

i want to thank those who responded. i am glad that you guys r correct. somehow it lost its programming. did the reprogram and it worked! then i used my newly cut key and shell and it took the reprogram, too. this is awesome. now i have 2 working remotes with a brand new key fob.
justin311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 12:00 AM   #7
Chris-TK

My Ride: Mk VI GTI
Ballin!
Old 05-14-2009, 04:01 AM   #8
kennyt83

My Ride: 325CI
justin,

how did you do the reprogram?? I have the exact same problem as you do . Thanks.
kennyt83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 07:59 PM   #9
bluedemon007

My Ride: 2000 328ci
Hello,
I'm having the same problem.... I didn't have a spare, so i ended up purchasing a new key.... $200 beans later, the doors, and the trunk will open using the key. However the remote will not lock or unlock the doors, nor will it open the trunk. Anyone have any suggestions, or ideas?

Last edited by bluedemon007; 06-10-2009 at 09:31 AM.
bluedemon007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 08:55 PM   #10
//TRD power

My Ride: 3.0 | 200hp | 214trq
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedemon007 View Post
Hell o,
I'm having the same problem.... I didn't have a spare, so i ended up purchasing a new key.... $200 beans later, the doors, not the trunk will open using the key. Anyone have any suggestions, or ideas?
Takes 1 minute. Go to your car right now, make sure it's locked. Unlock it, get in, close the door, put the key in the ignition and turn the key to the point all the dash lights come on but DON'T start the car. Then turn the key back and take the key out. Now hold the unlock button and press the lock button 3 times while you hold the unlock button, then after you have pressed it 3 times, let go of the unlock button. The doors will lock and unlock to show it has been initialized, if you have a 2nd key, follow the same procedure but you just do the button sequence, you don't put the key into the ignition.
Old 06-10-2009, 09:45 AM   #11
bluedemon007

Hello,
I'm having the same problem.... I didn't have a spare, so i ended up purchasing a new key.... $200 later, the remote will not lock or unlock the doors, nor will it open the trunk.the doors, and the trunk will open using the key. However the doors, and the trunk will open manually using the key. Anyone have any suggestions, or ideas?

Posted this before but as i reread it i found that it was misleading... the remote does not work at all. With that said, i'd like to thank the previous poster for his response.
Old 06-10-2009, 10:47 AM   #12
//TRD power

My Ride: 3.0 | 200hp | 214trq
^ Did you try the procedure though? None of the buttons are supposed to work if it's not initialized.
Old 06-10-2009, 12:34 PM   #13
bluedemon007

No didn't try it just yet... I'll try it and let you know what happens. Thanks
Old 06-11-2009, 11:56 AM   #14
bluedemon007

Quote:
Originally Posted by three2slick View Post
^ Did you try the procedure though? None of the buttons are supposed to work if it's not initialized.
Tried to initialize the remote last night. Unfortunately, this did not work. Anyone have more suggestions?
Old 06-14-2009, 02:05 AM   #15
scottjoh

My Ride: '99 323i & '02 540i
Hmmm. If you have an oscilloscope or know someone with one try checking the function of the FZV antenna amplifier. I have information and procedure on my web site. www.bmwgm5.com. Look for the FZV antenna amplifier link on the left side of the page.

I created this web site trying to help this chap with a similar problem. http://www.bmwland.co.uk/talker/view...=748321#748321
He kinda disappeared so I don't know if he got the problem resolved or not.

Oh, wait, now I remember. He tried my test and found that the FZV seemed to be dead. He prepaid for a used FZV at one salvage yard and then they said they didn't have one, but, wouldn't give him his money back. He prepaid at another salvage yard and the next day they closed their doors taking his money for a 2nd time. I never heard back from him.

Scott J.
scottjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 03:48 AM   #16
stevieg

My Ride: 02 318i
Thanks heaps! fixed mine
stevieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 03:30 PM   #17
msb046

My Ride: 2001 330xi
Thread revival! Just replaced the battery in my spare because the unlock/lock functions died. Now it won't reprogram (followed the steps exactly but no response from key). Voltage on old and new battery is 3 volts, and main key still works. Any ideas? Also, key still starts the car, just acts like the battery is dead.
msb046 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 07:18 PM   #18
scottjoh

My Ride: '99 323i & '02 540i
All the E46 keys I've worked on did not need a new rechargeable battery. I took out the battery waited a while and put it back in and they magically started working again. Again I have yet to find a bad battery (remember the rechargeable batteries are only on the diamond shaped keys with no red light). There was one key that I repaired with a bad lock button which prevented it from reprogramming because the lock and unlock button are required. Replaced the tiny micro switch and got that key working. One key though I could not get to work at all. Buttons all tested good, battery was good, it just didn't work. Not sure about that one.

>Also, key still starts the car, just acts like the battery is dead.
That's not surprising since the key fob is not needed to start the car, that's the EWS transponder in the key which is totally separate.
scottjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 08:46 PM   #19
Bandersnatch

My Ride: 2002 330 CiC
Amazing. I must have seen at least 30 posts on E46fanatics that claim what Justin did with his blank key will not work. That only the dealer can program the key and they will not do it if you bring one in to them - i.e you have to buy it through the dealer.

Justin, for all the people out there who want an extra remote key and don't want to pay nearly $200 for it, would you give some more information about how you did this?

Most of the keys I see on eBay are sold without the internal electronics. Just hollow shells with a flat blade sticking out. Could you give some more info on where you got your blank key?

And after you got it, how did you get it cut? Does the locksmith copy the groove on your existing key? Does it require a special kind of locksmith?

Congratulations on your success and thanks for some extra information.

Edit: Oh hell, I just noticed this thread started a year ago. And he didn't say that the new blank key would start his car, did he? Just that he has two working remotes. The transponder needed to start the car - you just can't get it on eBay, I'm sure.

ZOMG HALP! *click*

oh hai, i can haz part numbro for florr matz? k thanxz.

Last edited by Bandersnatch; 04-27-2010 at 09:02 PM.
Bandersnatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 09:34 AM   #20
lmyamen

My Ride: 00 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by three2slick View Post
Takes 1 minute. Go to your car right now, make sure it's locked. Unlock it, get in, close the door, put the key in the ignition and turn the key to the point all the dash lights come on but DON'T start the car. Then turn the key back and take the key out. Now hold the unlock button and press the lock button 3 times while you hold the unlock button, then after you have pressed it 3 times, let go of the unlock button. The doors will lock and unlock to show it has been initialized, if you have a 2nd key, follow the same procedure but you just do the button sequence, you don't put the key into the ignition.
Thank you for this! The buttons on my key stopped working, it is 10 years old now so i thought i would just go get my battery in the keyfob replaced....Yeah i was wrong haha, when i found out bmw wants $220 for a new key after calling in i decided to say no thanks. I then remembered i had a spare key that came with the car, and i always just thought there was no battery in it. After finding out that my keyfob has the battery built in to it i realized it just needed programed. I followed your instructions and now i have a great working key! ha thanks!

lmyamen is offline   Reply With Quote