E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-10-2009, 05:35 PM   #421
shortyb
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Now in beautiful Simpsonville SC
Posts: 1,659
My Ride: Has blue lights
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingNuts View Post
BMW design and sell passenger cars. If the car is used for the intended purpose, everything they specified apply. Outside of this parameter, nothing applies. If the car is used as a poor-man's or kid's ferrari, it needs maintenance like a poor-man's/kid's ferrari. Castrol specified their oil according to the intended purpose of the car. Therefore it is not difficult for them to guarantee their oil for that purpose, be it 15k or 30k miles. The working parameters of the car and oil are predetermed. Their life cycles are statistically predictable.
Congratulations! The marketing minions have assimilated you.

Working parameters of the car and oil are predetermined? To a certain small degree maybe, but not hardly all encompassing.

And you really believe that ALL life cycles are statistically predictable? Maybe if you take out the human element in all interactions. Take you and I for example. I bet we have 2 different driving styles, environments, ways we use our cars, maintenance, fluid/fuel availablity etc etc. Do you think our preditable outcome could possibly be the same and fall into nice neatly defined boxes?

Edit: Wow! 15 f-in pages .

Last edited by shortyb; 06-10-2009 at 05:37 PM.
shortyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 05:42 PM   #422
bmwbun
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: CO
Posts: 1,956
My Ride: Pre-facelift Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortyb View Post
No one (yes bun, even me) is arguing over the existance of safety margins/factors. Where it gets sketchy is when someone seems to randomly pull a number out of somewhere without rationale...
Yup.

Just like the recommendation you made earlier in this thread for an oil change interval. Calibrated in miles no less.

When it comes to oil change intervals, none of us are qualified to recommend anything.

However, all of us enjoy the freedom to do whatever we like with our own car and apply whatever rational we choose for the adding of liquids to our crankcase.
bmwbun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 06:11 PM   #423
GoingNuts
Just Nuts
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: London
Posts: 7,253
My Ride: 2004 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortyb View Post
Congratulations! The marketing minions have assimilated you.

Working parameters of the car and oil are predetermined? To a certain small degree maybe, but not hardly all encompassing.

And you really believe that ALL life cycles are statistically predictable? Maybe if you take out the human element in all interactions. Take you and I for example. I bet we have 2 different driving styles, environments, ways we use our cars, maintenance, fluid/fuel availablity etc etc. Do you think our preditable outcome could possibly be the same?

Edit: Wow! 15 f-in pages .
You mistake statistics for marketing. I recommend a kindergarten statistics class for you.

All large companies work with statistics. They don't care for individual product failures. However they do care if the life cycle of all their products as a whole follow a certain distribution. So a percentage of product failure is a foregone conclusion - they knew these would happen before they happen.

The distribution curve would resemble the outline of a church bell. One end represents a small percentage of total failures. The other end represents a small percentages of total non-failures. In the middle are what companies find most interesting to work with and represents the life cycles of vast majority of their products. As long as the company tweak their manufacturing to keep the bell curve in a certain shape, life cycles of their products as a whole becomes predictable.

My driving style and environment places me towards the total non-failure end of the curve. Therefore I have room for manoeuvre. I can take greater risks and save some money yet I would still be no worst off than majority of the car owners. In your case, you just do random servicing. The result of which may have absolutely no effect but it would have costed you money.

The outcome for our cars could be similar but mine is alot cheaper than the average, and yours a lot more costly than the average.

Last edited by GoingNuts; 06-10-2009 at 06:20 PM.
GoingNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 06:22 PM   #424
shortyb
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Now in beautiful Simpsonville SC
Posts: 1,659
My Ride: Has blue lights
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwbun View Post
Yup.

Just like the recommendation you made earlier in this thread for an oil change interval. Calibrated in miles no less.
Because most folks base maintenance on the simplicity of miles driven. If I know that they could/would do it based on fuel consumption (or the corresponding point on the SI) I would rather offer that instead. Also, I took into consideration several similar oil analysis results and averaged the mileage. Generalization? Maybe, but has some merit IMHO. And lastly, my recommendation was for less mileage, not double or triple, than what the SI would generally read. The former seems to be more acceptable than the latter, wouldn't you say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwbun View Post
When it comes to oil change intervals, none of us are really qualified to recommend anything.
I have to mostly agree. But we all have experiences here, and in that regard, can impart rather intelliegent info based on that. Whether it will be 100% applicable to someone else is a different animal, since each of us is different. But that would be up to the end user to take into consideration the source(s)/validity of said info. Also when folks see many different sources saying basically the same thing, they have a tendency to go in that direction. All human nature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwbun View Post
However, all of us enjoy the freedom to do whatever we like with our own car and apply whatever rational we choose for the adding of liquids to our crankcase.
Good point. Maybe we can end this thread on that note.

Last edited by shortyb; 06-10-2009 at 06:47 PM. Reason: forgot some stuff
shortyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 06:34 PM   #425
shortyb
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Now in beautiful Simpsonville SC
Posts: 1,659
My Ride: Has blue lights
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingNuts View Post
You mistake statistics for marketing. I recommend a kindergarten statistics class for you.

All large companies work with statistics. They don't care for individual product failures. However they do care if the life cycle of all their products as a whole follow a certain distribution. So a percentage of product failure is a foregone conclusion - they knew these would happen before they happen.

The distribution curve would resemble the outline of a church bell. One end represents a small percentage of total failures. The other end represents a small percentages of total non-failures. In the middle are what companies find most interesting to work with and represents the life cycles of vast majority of their products. As long as the company tweak their manufacturing to keep the bell curve in a certain shape, life cycles of their products as a whole becomes predictable.

My driving style and environment places me towards the total non-failure end of the curve. Therefore I have room for manoeuvre. I can take greater risks and save some money yet I would still be no worst off than majority of the car owners. In your case, you just do random servicing. The result of which may have absolutely no effect but it would have costed you money.

The outcome for our cars could be similar but mine is alot cheaper than the average, and yours a lot more costly than the average.
I finally figured it out. You guys over there have nationalized healthcare. I see it includes mental health as well. Now, give the keyboard back to nurse Ratchet and wait for your happy pills.
shortyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 07:16 PM   #426
zhp pilot
Falling from 14k ft.
 
zhp pilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 4,028
My Ride: is totaled :(
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortyb View Post
No one (yes bun, even me) is arguing over the existance of safety margins/factors. Where it gets sketchy is when someone seems to randomly pull a number out of somewhere without rationale (other than "its Castrol, so it has to be good for 45K because of the "safety margin"). Obviously the same can be said for any of the numbers regarding drain interval other than the BMW SI, but those are generally SHORTER. Hence, a waste of money/oil instead of possible engine damage statement/argument ensues.
i believe that the interval rating on any particular oil has a safety margin. i don't know much about the design process itself, but i would think with a product like oil, you would start with a somewhat random blend, not knowing what the outcome will be once it's tested. when i say random here, i mean you know what ingredients to use but the proportions are somewhat random. you then test it under ideal laboratory conditions in a controlled environment to find out it's absolute max. letís say it's 18250. now comes the question, "what do we market this as, 12000 or 15000 mile?" an executive decision is made which is based on how much risk the company is willing to take. i'd choose 12000 miles because it would be hard to predict and impossible to test ever scenario. and for the fact, you can't guarantee that every bottle ever made will be the same. you have to allow for error.

i find it very improbable that any oil that would go in our cars, could last for 30k, 45k, or 60k without doing major damage or complete failure. but, at the same time, i am very open to the idea that these numbers could be hit in the lab.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortyb View Post
So (honestly) do you believe that 15K from US Edge 5W-30 is possible regardless of how its used for that interval? I personally find it hard to believe due to the lack of, as you say, very, very specific listed conditions and the disclaimer "up to". Castrol does say that exclusions are: severe use (frequent towing and hauling, nothing else mentioned), racing dirty conditions, and excessive idling. Leaves it fairly wide open BUT.........they'll catch you with the "up to" part when you try to file a failure claim because you did 15K worth of short trips in the dead of winter.
first off, i would never put the US edge 5w-30 in my crankcase because it's not recommended nor approved. i'm sure that there are conditions in which you couldn't get 15k out of it, hence the exclusions listed by castrol. but for everyday driving that the vast majority of e46 owners do, i would expect it to last for 15k miles. but that would be it. it would be changed at that time. i definitely would not leave it in for anything beyond that, esp. not these "letís test the limits" numbers of up to 45k on the e46. (if i remember correctly, the 60k interval was based on the n54.) and i would never recommend any of those.

it's funny that one of the items fueling this thread is the US guys talking about the US edge and the UK guy taking about the Euro (or UK only) edge. i guess, based on tdi engines, goingnuts has better beef than us in the states, with respect to edge. but, that is irrelevant because the last time i checked, none of us have tdi engines. so naturally, that can't be used as a basis for determining an interval for the e46.

one good note, we can all have excellent beef with the BMW HP 5w-30, or really even m1 0w-40. i think there's enough proof around the board just from the large number of people that use it for every change.
__________________
'04 Silbergrau Metallic ZHP 6MT

zhp pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 07:17 PM   #427
zhp pilot
Falling from 14k ft.
 
zhp pilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 4,028
My Ride: is totaled :(
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makakio View Post
How about this: if you feel better changing oil at 3-5k, then go for it. If you feel fine at BMW's recommended 15k then good on you. If you're somewhere in between and it's workin' for ya then stick with it.

I have no doubt ALL of our engines will see 200k miles if we were to simply change with factory spec oil at the factory spec 15k miles. And we didn't money-shift or let them overheat somewhere along the way.
agreed.
__________________
'04 Silbergrau Metallic ZHP 6MT

zhp pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 07:25 PM   #428
GoingNuts
Just Nuts
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: London
Posts: 7,253
My Ride: 2004 330Ci
m1 0w40 is no beef. At best it's horse meat. Just doesn't taste the same. The Castrol beef is sweet in every sense of the word.
GoingNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 07:43 PM   #429
jeffro3000
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Huntsville, AL
Posts: 2,812
My Ride: 2000 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingNuts View Post
m1 0w40 is no beef. At best it's horse meat. Just doesn't taste the same. The Castrol beef is sweet in every sense of the word.
Says who?
jeffro3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 08:09 PM   #430
zhp pilot
Falling from 14k ft.
 
zhp pilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 4,028
My Ride: is totaled :(
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingNuts View Post
m1 0w40 is no beef. At best it's horse meat. Just doesn't taste the same. The Castrol beef is sweet in every sense of the word.
i would say the castrol is veal, and m1 is general beef. it has to be good if a large company like BMW approves it for use, even though it's in small amounts.
__________________
'04 Silbergrau Metallic ZHP 6MT

zhp pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 08:13 PM   #431
jeffro3000
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Huntsville, AL
Posts: 2,812
My Ride: 2000 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by e46sixspdZHP View Post
i would say the castrol is veal, and m1 is general beef. it has to be good if a large company like BMW approves it for use, even though it's in small amounts.
By that logic, Mobil 1 0w-40 would be even better. It's factory fill in the Nissan GT-R and Porsche Carrera GT.

Also, VW (who owns Porsche) is a MUCH larger company than BMW.
jeffro3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 08:18 PM   #432
zhp pilot
Falling from 14k ft.
 
zhp pilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 4,028
My Ride: is totaled :(
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro3000 View Post
By that logic, Mobil 1 0w-40 would be even better. It's factory fill in the Nissan GT-R and Porsche Carrera GT.

Also, VW (who owns Porsche) is a MUCH larger company than BMW.
i'm referring to use in a e46, but there's not much that can be said about that with respect to all make and model.

edit: and there's probably more manufactures that use it as OEM.
__________________
'04 Silbergrau Metallic ZHP 6MT

zhp pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 08:20 PM   #433
GoingNuts
Just Nuts
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: London
Posts: 7,253
My Ride: 2004 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro3000 View Post
Also, VW (who owns Porsche) is a MUCH larger company than BMW.
Stop making up things. People will find it difficult to take you seriously if you keep doing it. Porsche purchased and own VW, not the other way round.
GoingNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 08:57 PM   #434
jeffro3000
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Huntsville, AL
Posts: 2,812
My Ride: 2000 328i
Edit - Porsche has recently increased their stake in VW to 51% (in march)

Neither company actually owns the other. Not now anyways. It's more like a partnership.
jeffro3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 10:22 PM   #435
bmwbun
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: CO
Posts: 1,956
My Ride: Pre-facelift Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortyb View Post
Because most folks base maintenance on the simplicity of miles driven. If I know that they could/would do it based on fuel consumption (or the corresponding point on the SI) I would rather offer that instead.
Consider offering no recommendation. Let's face it, guys like you and I aren't qualified to be giving oil change guidance.


Quote:
Originally Posted by shortyb View Post
Also, I took into consideration several similar oil analysis results and averaged the mileage. Generalization? Maybe, but has some merit IMHO.
Averages, from a sample of one. Can we get any more insignificant (from a statistical perspective) than that?


Quote:
Originally Posted by shortyb View Post
And lastly, my recommendation was for less mileage, not double or triple, than what the SI would generally read. The former seems to be more acceptable than the latter, wouldn't you say?
No, I wouldn't say. Not without having some pretty compelling data to back it up. It is obvious that there are significant unintended consequences of changing oil too frequently.

It is possible you may not be adequately addressing them when arriving at your recommended mileage interval.


.

Last edited by bmwbun; 06-10-2009 at 10:28 PM.
bmwbun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 10:29 PM   #436
bmwbun
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: CO
Posts: 1,956
My Ride: Pre-facelift Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro3000 View Post
Edit - Porsche has recently increased their stake in VW to 51% (in march)

Neither company actually owns the other. Not now anyways. It's more like a partnership.
It's exactly like a 50/50 partnership.

Except one of them owns 51...

bmwbun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 10:30 PM   #437
jeffro3000
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Huntsville, AL
Posts: 2,812
My Ride: 2000 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwbun View Post
It is obvious that there are significant unintended consequences of changing oil too frequently.
No more or less obvious than the consequences of leaving it in too long.
jeffro3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 10:33 PM   #438
bmwbun
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: CO
Posts: 1,956
My Ride: Pre-facelift Coupe
About the same.

That's why we don't treat the 7,000 mile changers any different than the 30,000 mile changers.

All of their dicks are hanging in the wind with their recommendations. They're just pointed in different directions.


.

Last edited by bmwbun; 06-10-2009 at 10:36 PM.
bmwbun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 10:33 PM   #439
jeffro3000
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Huntsville, AL
Posts: 2,812
My Ride: 2000 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwbun View Post
It's exactly like a 50/50 partnership.

Except one of them owns 51...

I'm glad you were able to make that observation as well.
jeffro3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 08:03 AM   #440
shortyb
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Now in beautiful Simpsonville SC
Posts: 1,659
My Ride: Has blue lights
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwbun View Post
Consider offering no recommendation. Let's face it, guys like you and I aren't qualified to be giving oil change guidance.
So why do we give them when asked?


Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwbun View Post
Averages, from a sample of one. Can we get any more insignificant (from a statistical perspective) than that?
You keep assuming that I just use single samples to arrive at my conclusions. I've said before that I don't do that, but I'm sure you'll still denounce this as non-empirical data. It comes from non-biased scientific sources. Figured that should be credible enough for folks to draw conclusions of their own on. Mea culpa.




Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwbun View Post
No, I wouldn't say. Not without having some pretty compelling data to back it up. It is obvious that there are significant unintended consequences of changing oil too frequently.

It is possible you may not be adequately addressing them when arriving at your recommended mileage interval.


.
Maybe, maybe not. I do however know how to interpret the data I base these recommendations on and understand when you reach a certain point that the numbers tell, its time for a change.

I like your philosophy on freedom stated above, but I'll still give advice when asked. I've never assumed it to be gospel or that folks have to follow it or else something catastrophic happens. That decision is for them alone.
shortyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:08 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use