E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW News from around the Web

BMW News from around the Web
Submit the latest BMW news from around the world for other E46Fanatics members to check out.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 243 votes, 4.95 average. Display Modes
Old 06-08-2009, 02:12 AM   #41
E FO SIX

My Ride: 2003 E46 M3
So basically, the way I am reading this, if you, as a car owner, want to express yourself by modifying your car, you are excluded from a defect that was obviously a problem when the car was bone effing stock? Come on. Name ONE AMERICAN who doesn't try to express individuality in one way or another. Whether its your haristyle, clothing, or automobile...we all try to be different in one way or another. They are saying that you can modify your car, but once you do, you're screwed...I have had a clunking sound coming from my car since I have owned it (when it was still in stock form) took it to 3 different BMW dealerships and was told it was nothing to it was a busted driveshaft. Each time being told the diagnosis from the previous dealership was wrong. And if BMW knew about this before, how ifn the hell do they just sit on their hands and allow their customers to pay for this sort of thing? Warranties are such jokes for consumers in this country. Its all BS!

And I thought this was only an issue with the 99-01 chasis...

carbon fiber and negative camber FTMFW!!!
E FO SIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 05:28 AM   #42
T-MC-G

My Ride: Range Rover Evoque
well, 3 years too late for me. I got slapped with a $5,000 estimate to fix mine from a BMW dealer. So I ended up taking the loss and trading in my e46 $4,500 up side down for an e90.

This whole thing seems kinda weak though, so I could buy an e46 with a snapped sub-frame and 150,000 miles for like five hundred bucks, then as the owner have it towed to a dealership to get fixed for free???

Tell me what you don't like about yourself...
T-MC-G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 05:32 AM   #43
sillieidiot

My Ride: '06 AW 330ci
Send a message via AIM to sillieidiot
Quote:
Originally Posted by E FO SIX View Post
So basically, the way I am reading this, if you, as a car owner, want to express yourself by modifying your car, you are excluded from a defect that was obviously a problem when the car was bone effing stock? Come on. Name ONE AMERICAN who doesn't try to express individuality in one way or another. Whether its your haristyle, clothing, or automobile...we all try to be different in one way or another. They are saying that you can modify your car, but once you do, you're screwed...I have had a clunking sound coming from my car since I have owned it (when it was still in stock form) took it to 3 different BMW dealerships and was told it was nothing to it was a busted driveshaft. Each time being told the diagnosis from the previous dealership was wrong. And if BMW knew about this before, how ifn the hell do they just sit on their hands and allow their customers to pay for this sort of thing? Warranties are such jokes for consumers in this country. Its all BS!

And I thought this was only an issue with the 99-01 chasis...
well i would understand modifying the suspension to something stiffer might cause it to fail prematurely. just like how putting a turbo in your car can cause the engine to blow. why would they pay for a blown engine, it was the turbo's fault.

it was more common on early e46s, but all can still have it. just less on new ones because of some minor improvements or something.

Have a lighting problem? Read this first:
Lighting-related Troubleshooting Guide
sillieidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 05:33 AM   #44
sillieidiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-MC-G View Post
well, 3 years too late for me. I got slapped with a $5,000 estimate to fix mine from a BMW dealer. So I ended up taking the loss and trading in my e46 $4,500 up side down for an e90.

This whole thing seems kinda weak though, so I could buy an e46 with a snapped sub-frame and 150,000 miles for like five hundred bucks, then as the owner have it towed to a dealership to get fixed for free???
yea they are saying that if you already paid for the repair, you can still file a claim and get your some or all of your money back.

Old 06-08-2009, 01:51 PM   #45
E FO SIX

My Ride: 2003 E46 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillieidiot View Post
well i would understand modifying the suspension to something stiffer might cause it to fail prematurely. just like how putting a turbo in your car can cause the engine to blow. why would they pay for a blown engine, it was the turbo's fault.

it was more common on early e46s, but all can still have it. just less on new ones because of some minor improvements or something.
I totally understand your point. But what I am saying is, when a customer does their due diligence and proactively takes their car in for a noise multiple times only to be told that it is "normal" and that there is nothing wrong with the car or any of its components and that customer takes the dealerships word for it and begins to customize thier car, only to find out later that something was in fact wrong and now they are no longer able to take advantage of said class-action lawsuit and get the subframe fixed, that is completely unethical. Not saying that there is a defect or damage to my sub-frame, just saying, that I, along with anyone else in this situation have been cheated due to poor business practice and lack of ownership on the manufacturer's and dealership's part.

And secondly, they would still have to prove that the suspension was the cause (which I am sure they would try) of teh sub-frame damage. Which would be very difficult considering the car was in thierdealerships well before the TEIN's were on the car.

carbon fiber and negative camber FTMFW!!!
E FO SIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 02:30 PM   #46
BillyJoelR

My Ride: Velvy B.
This is good stuff.
I hope it carries over Canada as well.

BillyJoelR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 04:12 PM   #47
sillieidiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by E FO SIX View Post
I totally understand your point. But what I am saying is, when a customer does their due diligence and proactively takes their car in for a noise multiple times only to be told that it is "normal" and that there is nothing wrong with the car or any of its components and that customer takes the dealerships word for it and begins to customize thier car, only to find out later that something was in fact wrong and now they are no longer able to take advantage of said class-action lawsuit and get the subframe fixed, that is completely unethical. Not saying that there is a defect or damage to my sub-frame, just saying, that I, along with anyone else in this situation have been cheated due to poor business practice and lack of ownership on the manufacturer's and dealership's part.

And secondly, they would still have to prove that the suspension was the cause (which I am sure they would try) of teh sub-frame damage. Which would be very difficult considering the car was in thierdealerships well before the TEIN's were on the car.
yea i understand what you are saying. but i'm sure if you have tried multiple times for a noise issue, there would be documentation about it. they would have documented if you had modified suspension as well (should be in those service receipts they give you), since you did not, i'm pretty sure you'd be able to classify for the lawsuit. i'm pretty sure it's meant towards others that never tried to do any of that and just went straight to modifying the suspension.

Old 06-09-2009, 04:01 PM   #48
tEckniks
Detail Whore

My Ride: 98.5 Estoril M3
rofl... z3 mroadster mcoupe guys have it worse. bmw tells them to fcuk off
Old 06-11-2009, 10:42 AM   #49
eco10530

My Ride: 2002 Silver 330ci
Can't wait to get mine checked out once the settlement goes thru in August!
I've had a big clunking noise when I hit bumps that sounds like it's coming from the rear deck right under the back window, maybe it's subframe noise???

2002 330ci
Titanium Silver
Mods: LED Tail lights, Khoalty LED Angel Eyes,
Keyhole Delete, DICE Silverline PRO iPhone Integration
eco10530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 11:17 AM   #50
TranceAddict

My Ride: '07 328Xi Coupe
Quote:
Its a manufacturing defect and the company needs to stand behind their product if it's their fault from the beginning that it isn't structurally sound. I think the biggest thing though if this was the case is it would have to be proven during inspection that it was indeed a structural failure and not caused by something else.

Quote:
well, 3 years too late for me. I got slapped with a $5,000 estimate to fix mine from a BMW dealer. So I ended up taking the loss and trading in my e46 $4,500 up side down for an e90
I would have left it as is and traded it at a different dealership if it wasn't at a critical fixing point so they would have been the ones to suck up the fix cost during their inspection. Frustrates me that my warranty expired in April but during their full bumper to bumper inspection when I bought the car they didn't find anything wrong so mine might not have this issue. I'm still not taking the risk and I'm having it checked when this goes through.
Old 06-11-2009, 11:45 AM   #51
casemagic

My Ride: 00 328i 03 330i
I have 2 e46s, 1 2000 328i and a 2003 330i. Can anyone out there tell me where to look and what to look for with this subframe issue? I'm taking in the 330 for a strut replacement next week and I want to tell the shop (who specializes in frame repair and alignments) to check it out for me. any photos would help
casemagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 02:27 PM   #52
Messe46

My Ride: 325xi ZSP - ONRLS
Send a message via AIM to Messe46
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro3000 View Post
Excluded from the Class are:
(1) BMW NA, its subsidiaries and affiliates, officers, directors, and employees;
(2) Insurers of Class Vehicles;
(3) All entities claiming to be subrogated to the rights of Class Members;
(4) Issuers of extended vehicle warranties;
(5) Individuals who validly opt out of the settlement;
(6) Any judge to whom this matter is assigned, and his or her immediate family;
(7) Any current or former owner or lessee of a Class Vehicle whose Class Vehicle
was modified for racing, whether sanctioned or not;
(8) Any current or former owner or lessee of a Class Vehicle that has been modified
with suspension parts and/or wheels of a different size; and

(9) Any current or former owner or lessee of a Class Vehicle that has released his/her
claims against BMW NA related to the Sub-Frame Condition.
Does this also include a front strut bar, since that has to do with suspension? Obviously the M3 came with one and just about anyone was able to buy one from the dealership, but what about those who bought an aftermarket one (ACS, Dinan, Rouge Engineering, etc)?

Im sorry, but having an Aston Martin DB9 on the drive and not driving it is a bit like having Keira Knightley in your bed and sleeping on the couch. If youve got even half a scrotum its not going to happen.
-Jeremy Clarkson
Messe46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 02:52 PM   #53
DonovanM

My Ride: Fern Green 328Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Messe46 View Post
Does this also include a front strut bar, since that has to do with suspension? Obviously the M3 came with one and just about anyone was able to buy one from the dealership, but what about those who bought an aftermarket one (ACS, Dinan, Rouge Engineering, etc)?
I think removing the 6 bolts it takes prior to taking your car in should eliminate any need for worry...
DonovanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 06:06 PM   #54
lind18

My Ride: '03 325xi
Unhappy

+1 to Casemagic...
Can anyone out there tell where, what and how to look for with this subframe problems issue? Any input would be much appreciated.
Thanks.
lind18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 06:11 PM   #55
xxenycejattxx

My Ride: 330i 600RR
I just checked today and my subframe is cracked from the body!!!
I hope i get a letter soon!!

xxenycejattxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 09:10 AM   #56
delmarco

My Ride: 330i
Send a message via ICQ to delmarco Send a message via Yahoo to delmarco
What the hell is a subframe? (pictures of what this would look like?)

VISIT MY GARAGE TO SEE ALL MY MODS:

http://directory.e46fanatics.com/use...rMod&UcId=7917

Last edited by delmarco; 06-12-2009 at 09:14 AM.
delmarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 10:40 PM   #57
Boosted330
Eurowerkz Co-Founder

My Ride: 993Cabrio/f30 335xi
Send a message via AIM to Boosted330
i think its ridiculous that any modified car isnt part of this.

if this damage occurs commonly on non-modified cars, then whether or not the car is modified should have little to do with the cause of the problem.

Past:
2010 MB C300 Sport
2001 BMW 330ci, Eurowerkz Co-Founding Car
1999 Shelby SP360 #150
Boosted330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 11:44 PM   #58
Messe46

My Ride: 325xi ZSP - ONRLS
Send a message via AIM to Messe46
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonovanM View Post
I think removing the 6 bolts it takes prior to taking your car in should eliminate any need for worry...
I know, but you don't know how lazy I can be!

Im sorry, but having an Aston Martin DB9 on the drive and not driving it is a bit like having Keira Knightley in your bed and sleeping on the couch. If youve got even half a scrotum its not going to happen.
-Jeremy Clarkson
Messe46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 12:41 AM   #59
cesar418

My Ride: 328is
sucks that i gotta put all my stock stuff back on before i take it to the dealer...

Once upon a time there was an E46 who always wanted more...
cesar418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 12:57 PM   #60
SKIPPY PB

My Ride: YZ125
Does part 5 in the picture fall under this recall by any chance?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	17.png
Views:	599
Size:	17.7 KB
ID:	319041  
SKIPPY PB is offline   Reply With Quote