E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Health & Fitness

Health & Fitness
Discuss any topics related to heath and fitness here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 06-12-2009, 02:19 PM   #1
dabears

My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
dabears progress thread

Hey, I've posted a bunch of stuff on this forum so I figured I might as well make a documented post where people can see my gains and comment, really helps me stay motivated. I'll update it every friday, this is when I weigh myself in the morning and is the end of my workout cycle. I'm very new to working out.

Here's the workout: http://www.muscleandstrength.com/wor...g-program.html

I use dumbbell workouts for chest (easier to do without a spotter, my left side is weaker etc etc) otherwise everything is the same.

Whenever the reps go down, I put more weight on. I've done this workout solid for 2 weeks now (the week before it was only 2 days not 4), and have noticed increased strength in all areas.

I weigh myself every friday morning after a piss, seems to give consistent results. 05/28 is the start... and the BF % is obviously wrong, I'm using it for + / -.

05/28 : 173.8 / 16.9% BF / 56.6% Water Weight
06/05 : 175.2 / 17.0% BF / 56.6% Water Weight
06/12 : 178.4 / 17.1% BF / 56.6% Water Weight

Seems like the diet is working well.

Pictures:

I'll post this pic, only one I really have before I started working out (From a vacation about a month ago). I'll post good pictures soon... every two weeks should be good?

Anyways the more I go on the more motivated I get, I can't wait to get to the gym today
Old 06-12-2009, 02:23 PM   #2
spicoli024

My Ride: '06 Jet Black M3 ZCP
thanks for the update?

2006 e46 /// M3 ZCP

2007 Audi B7 RS4

2013 Mercedes CLS 550S
spicoli024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 04:26 AM   #3
InVisib0L

My Ride: '12 fJCW Hardtop
Quote:
Originally Posted by spicoli024 View Post
thanks for the update?
No awesome mixes for you anymore.
Old 06-14-2009, 03:13 AM   #4
zikhkd

My Ride: AMG
Send a message via AIM to zikhkd
GL with it.. !
Old 08-10-2009, 08:03 PM   #5
a_n9ne

i was 90% sure you were brown

*large annoying gif removed*

a_n9ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 10:54 PM   #6
DILLA

My Ride: 330i ZHP
how's your progress going man? It's been two months!
Old 09-30-2009, 06:47 AM   #7
Green_Shine

My Ride: Back seat riding
Bump. How you doing man?
Old 09-30-2009, 08:30 AM   #8
cozilla

My Ride: 2002 M3
yoo wheres the progress?

sig by roddykaregaran
cozilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 11:32 AM   #9
DILLA

My Ride: 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by cozilla View Post
yoo wheres the progress?
He's probably too busy making more insane mixes to document his progress.
I <3 House Music 2 =
Old 10-21-2009, 07:09 PM   #10
dabears

**** I forgot about this thread... here's my update so far:

I bulked pretty well from may to end of july, where I moved and stopped going to gym for a month. I was at a high of 188 lbs, definitely made huge improvements in all areas.

Some pics (took them today)

Not the best pics, it's pretty hard to take them it turns out.

Anyways I'm doing a cut now (which I wanted to do in the first place) and I had my BF tested beginning of september, it was 19%... pretty suprised it was that high. I've been working out monday-saturday, 3 days weights, 3 days cardio/abs. Going to do this until I get down to at least 12%, then bulk through the entire winter and early spring. I'm currently sitting at about 174 lbs.

Hopefully I'll be able to update this more often and with even better results.

Last edited by dabears; 10-21-2009 at 07:12 PM.
dabears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 02:25 PM   #11
Schrock

My Ride: Floaties
Weekly updates FTW.
Old 10-27-2009, 03:11 PM   #12
m3racing

My Ride: Yamaha R6
Send a message via AIM to m3racing
nice progress.. were you dirty bulking or what? good weight gain in 3 months I say

m3racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 03:16 PM   #13
TheRusski

My Ride: gone...
Dam dude big difference
Old 11-26-2009, 01:07 PM   #14
BruceWonder

My Ride: 2011.5 E92 M3
damm i gotta start working out, i currently have your vacation build. dont know if i can bulk up like m3racing tho lol
Old 11-29-2009, 05:38 PM   #15
Green_Shine

My Ride: Back seat riding
Nice work.

To be honest with you, skip the cut for right now. Bulk right now and worry about the % in the spring.
Old 12-17-2009, 05:10 PM   #16
dabears

little update...

following this plan was interesting, I would either completely commit to it for a good few weeks, going to gym 6 days a week and tracking every bit of food that entered my body... then I would stop caring as much, hit gym 2-3 times a week and have a cheat meal here or there or eat a little extra. I was eating 1600 or less calories a week net... trying to lose 2 lbs a week. I'm down to 168 right now and it seems to have stuck there, I'm going on a bunch of vacations etc now so I've decided to stop the cut and straight bulk which I love... 3500 calories of good food and seeing results in the gym.

Don't have time for pics right now but while you can't see much for abs I can tell a significant portion of my stomach especially when sitting has dissapeared, and places like my chest/arms/forearms/legs are much more cut and defined. Now I plan to do a bulk until probably march, and attempt to cut again and see if it is easier this time which a bunch more lean muscle mass.

Thanks for encouragement guys, I made this thread so hopefully one day I can look back on it and go wow... I've come pretty far.
Old 09-24-2010, 06:31 PM   #17
dabears

Just remembered my little thread i made... seems so long ago. I'm sitting in a college in kelowna waiting for my gf's 3 hour class to end... and found this while checking out some stuff and figured I would update it.

Being a full time unemployed (read debt) student, I couldn't afford much for groceries let alone quality foods like chicken, steak, etc... kraft dinner was a staple food. I worked out hard 4 times a week during feburary -> early april, but the scale just went down instead of up. I moved back to edmonton in may, and a lot of people were commenting saying I looked really skinny... if I was sick etc. This was probably the greatest motivation to make the final push for sustainable change. Having read these forums over and over among countless articles, I felt I had the tools for success. With a full time, well paying job under my belt I signed up at the gym in early june, however struggled to commit... which was strange since I hadn't had the trouble before. With that, I joined a great gym, and after being sold on it... I got a personal trainer. Did I need one to show me how to workout? Absolutely not. I have great form, knowledge of diet, muscle gaining, etc. However just the meer fact that if I missed an appointment, I would lose money and dissapoint my trainer was enough. Same goes for skipping a meal, eating shitty, etc... I just know that next week the scale will read the same and I'll feel awful. So for the last 3 months I have been training very hard, my trainer fixed some problems I had, and showed me weaknesses in my physique to focus on (upper chest being main key, front shoulders were way overdeveloped).

To make this short, when I moved back I was a very unhealthy 165 lbs, which I remained until early july. Since that time, and with a rigorous diet of eggs, rice, chicken, pasta, beef, and potatoes, I got back to my "healthy" weight of around 175 lbs, which is just about the most i've ever been. 3 weeks of staying at that weight (definitely plateauing) but this time sticking through it, not getting discouraged, and eating like a pig (it was a hot topic at work... wish people would stay out of others business, full meals at 9 am, 12 pm, 3 pm attract attention) I have now hit 190 lbs... and I am more motivated than ever.

My goal weight is to be a soft 215 in 6 months or less, then begin a much needed cut during the spring/summer. I will post pics of my current physique, who knows if people are actually interested, but I can answer a lot of questions for guys who feel they've struggled with gaining weight.. especially those with a high metabolism like myself. Saying things like "I can't gain weight I can eat anything" is just silly... you just aren't eating enough, and there are ways... nothing comes without hard work.

Hearing comments lately from friends saying wow you got big is one of the best things to hear... but my biggest motivator came last week. I have always wanted to bench 135 lbs (Bar + 2 45 lb plates) because at that weight you at least look like you can push something and not some bar that a guy can curl. I've had one of these bars in my basement for 2 years, and I've never been able to do more than 1 shitty rep with it. Since I don't do bench presses with my training, don't monitor the weight I do let alone reps (I love it this way, I never know when the pain is going to end and just give it my all) I wasn't sure what I could do now. I put the weight on, and powered through 12 solid reps. Little things like that go a long way, at least imo.

I'll keep this thread going, especially since I'll hopefully have nothing but good things to post about.
Old 09-25-2010, 02:54 AM   #18
M3Inline6
Ain't buying any more cars!

My Ride: M4 and Range Rover S
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabears View Post
Just remembered my little thread i made... seems so long ago. I'm sitting in a college in kelowna waiting for my gf's 3 hour class to end... and found this while checking out some stuff and figured I would update it.

Being a full time unemployed (read debt) student, I couldn't afford much for groceries let alone quality foods like chicken, steak, etc... kraft dinner was a staple food. I worked out hard 4 times a week during feburary -> early april, but the scale just went down instead of up. I moved back to edmonton in may, and a lot of people were commenting saying I looked really skinny... if I was sick etc. This was probably the greatest motivation to make the final push for sustainable change. Having read these forums over and over among countless articles, I felt I had the tools for success. With a full time, well paying job under my belt I signed up at the gym in early june, however struggled to commit... which was strange since I hadn't had the trouble before. With that, I joined a great gym, and after being sold on it... I got a personal trainer. Did I need one to show me how to workout? Absolutely not. I have great form, knowledge of diet, muscle gaining, etc. However just the meer fact that if I missed an appointment, I would lose money and dissapoint my trainer was enough. Same goes for skipping a meal, eating shitty, etc... I just know that next week the scale will read the same and I'll feel awful. So for the last 3 months I have been training very hard, my trainer fixed some problems I had, and showed me weaknesses in my physique to focus on (upper chest being main key, front shoulders were way overdeveloped).

To make this short, when I moved back I was a very unhealthy 165 lbs, which I remained until early july. Since that time, and with a rigorous diet of eggs, rice, chicken, pasta, beef, and potatoes, I got back to my "healthy" weight of around 175 lbs, which is just about the most i've ever been. 3 weeks of staying at that weight (definitely plateauing) but this time sticking through it, not getting discouraged, and eating like a pig (it was a hot topic at work... wish people would stay out of others business, full meals at 9 am, 12 pm, 3 pm attract attention) I have now hit 190 lbs... and I am more motivated than ever.

My goal weight is to be a soft 215 in 6 months or less, then begin a much needed cut during the spring/summer. I will post pics of my current physique, who knows if people are actually interested, but I can answer a lot of questions for guys who feel they've struggled with gaining weight.. especially those with a high metabolism like myself. Saying things like "I can't gain weight I can eat anything" is just silly... you just aren't eating enough, and there are ways... nothing comes without hard work.

Hearing comments lately from friends saying wow you got big is one of the best things to hear... but my biggest motivator came last week. I have always wanted to bench 135 lbs (Bar + 2 45 lb plates) because at that weight you at least look like you can push something and not some bar that a guy can curl. I've had one of these bars in my basement for 2 years, and I've never been able to do more than 1 shitty rep with it. Since I don't do bench presses with my training, don't monitor the weight I do let alone reps (I love it this way, I never know when the pain is going to end and just give it my all) I wasn't sure what I could do now. I put the weight on, and powered through 12 solid reps. Little things like that go a long way, at least imo.

I'll keep this thread going, especially since I'll hopefully have nothing but good things to post about.

Thanks for the update dabears. I love to read threads like this, and I love to see progressive pictures from those who are really making exercise & fitness part of their lives. This type of lifestyle change is highly rewarding, and I know that all of us will be here to support you man. Keep up the good work, and stay motivated.

M3Inline6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 12:53 AM   #19
dabears

Well with my return to the health & fitness forums and offering advice to everyone else I figured I would revive this thread and show that I still have plenty of work left myself!

My progress is nowhere near where I thought it would be after I last chimed in (2 years ago). I am currently 171 lbs at 6'0, I still have the scale I used and it says I'm at 16.3% BF which is where it said I was when I started... however I have vastly improved my strength in all areas and need to get a true BF done soon, as I believe I am around the 11-12% mark.

Current 1 rep maxes: 181 bench / 231 squat / 315 deadlift

After two incredibly dirty bulks, and learning the hard way why it is certainly not the way to go, I spent from Jan - Jun 2012 cutting significantly. I also did this in 2011, and ruined it with a bad bulk and a two month gym hiatus over the winter.

I've been working on getting my strength back up after the lengthy cut the past two months, and its working well. Eating primal/paleo has allowed me to keep the fat off and I've actually gone down a bit in weight despite going up significantly in strength.

And pics are a worth a thousand words (and from what I've seen especially to kushy ), took these at gym hence the locker room shot. Comparing with my previous pics where I am the same weight and BF on the scale... I can tell a big difference personally.

I'm far from done thats for sure!

One day I'll figure out how to take a back shot lol... weird looking part of my arm is from a sunburn.
Old 08-18-2012, 01:38 AM   #20
kushy

My Ride: automatic m3
hey nice pics but what about a shot of your legs
maybe a full body shot
with
no
clothes
kushy is offline   Reply With Quote