E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-13-2009, 10:52 AM   #1
thereal007

My Ride: 2000 328ci
electronic personal greeting

k so i need some ideas or some expertise on this one. i have this idea were when i open my door, instead of "ding ding ding" it says "welcome"
i think all i need to do is find the door dinger and snip those wires and run them into a self contained speaker with the pre recorded message. any ideas on how to do it...i really just need to figure out where the dinger is and how to wire or set up something that says Welcome when power goes to it.
this maybe over kill for some people but i think its awesome!
let me know thanks
thereal007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-13-2009, 11:10 AM   #2
98mustangguy

My Ride: 04-325i, 00-s4
lol, you can do anything if your heart desires, dinger is under dash activated with domes by door switches. what you would use to record message for playback switch activated, hmmm prob need to go ask on a tech nerd geek forum.
98mustangguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 11:22 AM   #3
thereal007

My Ride: 2000 328ci
awesome thanks! if anybody else has ideas keep em coming!
thereal007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 11:27 AM   #4
98mustangguy

yeah any car can do anything you want, the only limiting factor is money
Old 06-13-2009, 11:36 AM   #5
98mustangguy

maybe something like this would work but i dont know how to egt it to auto start at beginning of message, pull dash and locate dinger, replace diner with a small speaker, wire that went into speaker cut, take apart a cheap mp3 player, the remove play button and solder the pos/neg that went to speaker to the pos/neg mp3 play button contacts to provide switched start, cut apart a headphone cable and solder to the speaker, the battery contact take and solder to and hook up with something along the lines of a radar detector direct wire kit. a techy would prob have a much better idea.
Old 06-13-2009, 11:47 AM   #6
jay2001

My Ride: 325i & 530i
Neat idea but small problem. How about when the lights are left on or the door ajar? Will the car say "welcome"?
jay2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 12:07 PM   #7
98mustangguy

i dunno, isnt it controlled on a timer like the dinger wouldnt stay on. i dunno but i would guess someone in china actually makes something for this application. kinda like how my old clifford talking car alarm was, search the net id bet some weird named garage shop in china makes one. oh maybe bridge the play contacts and wire the dinger relay to the battery terminals prob still wouldnt work but someone creative prob has done it already.
Old 06-13-2009, 01:18 PM   #8
kurtnhl

My Ride: 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay2001 View Post
Neat idea but small problem. How about when the lights are left on or the door ajar? Will the car say "welcome"?
For some reason I got a mental image of the car saying welcome over and over again while the lights were left on.
Old 06-13-2009, 04:10 PM   #9
98mustangguy

yeah you may want to add in a thanks you ty yw ty yw lol that would be better.
Old 06-13-2009, 07:40 PM   #10
jay2001

My Ride: 325i & 530i
Red face

Ok - my fault leaving everyone hangin. I was hoping that someone would fill in more about how the Chime module works. I don't really know how the one in this car works but here is what I think.

In most vehicles it is just a speaker that plays a single tone. So if a simple audio device is substituted for the chime module, it would only play one tone or phrase whenever prompted to. I think E46s have this same idea (please someone tell me I'm wrong) but it has two tones. One a "ding" and the other a "beep" (for parking distance; aka PDC).

Looking at the chime module it has power, ground, a wire from the general module and one from PDC (if installed). Now if the wire from the general module is actually a communication or BUS line, then an audio device can be substituted and programmed to have different phrases per signal sent from the general module. Now this would be the thing you are looking for.

But if there is no com/bus line to the chime module then another way to do this is to check if different pulse signals from the general module is used to prompt the chime module (kinda elaborating off of what mustang guy was saying). Just opening the car door is a single ding while any warning from the general module is a repeated ding. A small analog device can be designed to differentiate these two so that a short signal is "welcome" and a long signal is something else (e.g. "warning"). Maybe PAC or that other electronic gaget company makes something like this.
Now I only notice these two ding indicators. Are there others? If so, then this analog device is getting more complex.

Well - my .02 on the idea. Hope someone else knows more.
jay2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 02:13 PM   #11
djparallel

My Ride: e46 330xi
"welcome. please fasten seat belt." bond's 740 from tomorrow never dies
djparallel is offline   Reply With Quote