E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > California

California
Have you seen another BMW while driving around in your area? Maybe you can find their car in the E46Fanatics Garage!
Northern California Southern California

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-10-2009, 05:55 AM   #1
DOB2009

My Ride: 325i
DIY barter, I'll help you perform a DIY I'm knowledgable in if you help me with one??

Well i'm no mechanic but I have done a few things to my E46 that If I had to re-do twice I could probably do it fairly quick and easy. I also have tools and a garage. There are some DIY I wouldn't want to do alone, so I'll post some stuff up I can do, we can do one or multiple upgrades/repairs if you can help me with some thing not on my list, thanks to any one who responds, I live in Tustin in OC.

I can:
-Change oil, Trans fluid, Diff Fluid (have all tools to do all 3)
-roll front and/or rear fenders (would need to rent a roller/heat gun combo, aprox $50)
-install interior/exterior LED lighting, emblems, Angel Projectors, Depot Tail lights, corners
-change cabin filter, spark plugs, intake, battery, intake boot, clean/replace the ICV
-sand/primer/paint/clear coat Interior trim to match body color, or your choice of color such as Metallic silver/black.
-Re-paint black trim exterior pieces, mirrors, pills, wiper arms
-change front/rear rotors & pads/sensors
-change front sway bar links

SO there are DIY I'm comfortable doing really quick and easily if we have the right tools, and I have a decent selection, I'm also willing to loan my garage and assisnt in any unlisted DIY if you help me with one or ones I would want to do?

Some DIY I would want help with doing it my first time, in exchange for my help:
-Installing headers
-Changing any thing related to front/rear suspension (shocks, control arms/bushings
-Cooling system maintence, (flush, new expansion tank? hoses?
-fuel pump/filter
-Front bumper/fog light install (paint would be awesome but thats prob asking too much)
-Double DIN install
-Brake Fluid Flush
-blower motor lube or replacement (to stop the shaky rattle noise when ac is on, or when cutch is not engaged at a dead stop.

Thats all i can think of at the moment, please PM me so we can work on our cars!

Last edited by DOB2009; 06-10-2009 at 07:53 PM.
DOB2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-10-2009, 12:18 PM   #2
Devious1
Invalid User

My Ride: 330ci
Send a message via AIM to Devious1
what are you doing first?
Old 06-10-2009, 07:52 PM   #3
DOB2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devious1 View Post
what are you doing first?
It would probably depend on who responded with what they preffered to help out with. I would like to tackle that blower motor issue if possible, and ifs that root cause the "tick tick tick tick" noise that increases as the AC is turned on. I want to just lube it and clean it up.

Bleeding brakes, flushing coolant/changing hoses also I would like to try.

Motor mounts/fog lights w/ new bumper install also is high on my list.
Old 06-11-2009, 12:55 AM   #4
GTUnit

My Ride: short bus
Send a message via AIM to GTUnit
Im in OC. I want to change my fuel pump soon. I am down to help you out a bit.
I am good and can do almost anything.
Old 06-11-2009, 01:40 AM   #5
alphanume12ix

My Ride: 1999 328i
Send a message via AIM to alphanume12ix
i got you if you for...

bleeding brakes (2 man method)
front suspension work (given you have compressors)
fuel filter

what part of LA?

FREE: 15" Style 9s
alphanume12ix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 04:40 AM   #6
DOB2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphanume12ix View Post
i got you if you for...

bleeding brakes (2 man method)
front suspension work (given you have compressors)
fuel filter

what part of LA?
awesome, I live in Tustin and have a garage here and tools. 2 man method you just remove 1 tire right while one guy pumps the old fluid out?? The only suspension upgrade I'm doing at the moment is just front sway bar links, which should be very easy.

Do you need help with any thing on yours?
Old 06-11-2009, 05:04 AM   #7
sillieidiot

My Ride: '06 AW 330ci
Send a message via AIM to sillieidiot
sounds like you would do well at the DIY meets i have at my house once in a while. anyways off that list i can do suspension (shocks/springs/rear control arms/sways), front bumper/fogs, bleeding brakes (2 man). that's about it lol

anyways stuff that i can do that you didn't list (besides the stuff that you can do, cause i can do it too lol):
belts/pulleys (everything but underdrive, too messy)/tensioner (mechanical)
window regulators
taking off tint (except for rear window)
most things lighting/electrical related
rear bumper
exhaust (from headers back like tse3)
basic speakers install
install hoods/trunks (CF/FG with dremeling work)
install new seats
alternator replacement
valve gasket
install ssk

iono what else. but if there's anything i haven't done, i'm always up to try it lol

i think my friend is going to get a new fuel pump soon, so once i do that, i'll add that to the list of stuff i can do i guess.

Have a lighting problem? Read this first:
Lighting-related Troubleshooting Guide
sillieidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 05:52 AM   #8
less than three

My Ride: seven1four
i'll watch and eat tofu and drink boba (please don't put me to work)

okthnx
Old 06-14-2009, 02:34 AM   #9
w0w

My Ride: 00 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by want an ///M View Post
i'll watch and eat tofu and drink boba (please don't put me to work)

okthnx
ill watch jay watch u guys while hes eating tofu and drinking boba while i eat tofu and drink boba
Old 06-14-2009, 02:36 AM   #10
GTUnit

My Ride: short bus
Send a message via AIM to GTUnit
A DIY meet would be more fun then a regular parking lot meet IMO.
Old 06-14-2009, 05:35 PM   #11
Sharky06

My Ride: 06 ZHP 6-SP
Send a message via AIM to Sharky06
Sillie, when do you guys meet up at your place? I'd like to go down there and learn a thing or two.

Just bought myself an fuel filter and thnking about changing it for the first time. (bought Mahle)
Old 06-14-2009, 07:56 PM   #12
soh5241

My Ride: needs a detail...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharky06 View Post
Sillie, when do you guys meet up at your place? I'd like to go down there and learn a thing or two.

Just bought myself an fuel filter and thnking about changing it for the first time. (bought Mahle)
changing the fuel filter is really easy...just disconnect the fuel filter and plug in the new one...they have a DIY somewhere on this forum

Last edited by soh5241; 06-14-2009 at 09:53 PM.
soh5241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 08:37 PM   #13
D4rkkn1ght

My Ride: 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOB2009 View Post
It would probably depend on who responded with what they preffered to help out with. I would like to tackle that blower motor issue if possible, and ifs that root cause the "tick tick tick tick" noise that increases as the AC is turned on. I want to just lube it and clean it up.

Bleeding brakes, flushing coolant/changing hoses also I would like to try.

Motor mounts/fog lights w/ new bumper install also is high on my list.
I've done motor mounts and the expansion tank and hoses arent that hard either. They're simple
D4rkkn1ght is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 01:20 AM   #14
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by soh5241 View Post
changing the fuel filter is really easy...just disconnect the fuel filter and plug in the new one...they have a DIY somewhere on this forum
what about all the pressure in the system
there's a lot more than that..it can be a messy job if not performed correctly.

garage meets can be very helpful for most. just be safe and you'd be surprised how quickly a few wrenchers can help make a job not seem so long and difficult.
Old 06-15-2009, 05:22 AM   #15
sillieidiot

Quote:

iono, just lurk in the socal chat. i just do it on a whim sometimes. you can come by and we'll tackled that if you want. i've been meaning to do that and the fuel pump on my friend's car. might as well start now lol

Old 06-15-2009, 05:24 AM   #16
sillieidiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex323Ci View Post
what about all the pressure in the system
there's a lot more than that..it can be a messy job if not performed correctly.

garage meets can be very helpful for most. just be safe and you'd be surprised how quickly a few wrenchers can help make a job not seem so long and difficult.
lol, you know what sucks though? when people don't know how to use a tool and break it. gotta have them bring their own tools

Old 06-16-2009, 05:02 AM   #17
DOB2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillieidiot View Post
sounds like you would do well at the DIY meets i have at my house once in a while. anyways off that list i can do suspension (shocks/springs/rear control arms/sways), front bumper/fogs, bleeding brakes (2 man). that's about it lol

anyways stuff that i can do that you didn't list (besides the stuff that you can do, cause i can do it too lol):
belts/pulleys (everything but underdrive, too messy)/tensioner (mechanical)
window regulators
taking off tint (except for rear window)
most things lighting/electrical related
rear bumper
exhaust (from headers back like tse3)
basic speakers install
install hoods/trunks (CF/FG with dremeling work)
install new seats
alternator replacement
valve gasket
install ssk

iono what else. but if there's anything i haven't done, i'm always up to try it lol

i think my friend is going to get a new fuel pump soon, so once i do that, i'll add that to the list of stuff i can do i guess.
cool yeah if you ever have a DIY meet up let me know I'll stop by and help even if I don't need any thing. I've done Headlights and reset SES lights with other members here.

I'm replacing my M style bumper with a mint one, and need to wire fogs as well as replace mirrors for next upgrade. I'm driving to SD to DDM probably Friday morning to get the bumper, fogs, corners, mirrors. It would be cool to get some help with that, I never could even get my old fogs to work and they seemed to be wired correctly? I think I can handle it but haven't done the DIY's yet. Thanks for reply.

Last edited by DOB2009; 06-16-2009 at 05:06 AM.
Old 06-16-2009, 05:04 AM   #18
DOB2009

Quote:

I work all week and fly to chicago from Fri-Sun, but after I get back you can drive to down to Tustin and we'll change both ours in my garage if you haven't done it by then. Offer stands for any good members here on any upgrade/repair you want to try to knock out together.

Some repairs I think i could knock out really fast after doing them. Pads and rotors took me 2 days due to lack of proper tools, and having to obtain broken caliper bolts. But if I had to redo it again I think I could replace front/rear rotors & pads in less than an hour

Last edited by DOB2009; 06-16-2009 at 05:11 AM.
Old 06-17-2009, 01:03 PM   #19
w0w

My Ride: 00 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOB2009 View Post
cool yeah if you ever have a DIY meet up let me know I'll stop by and help even if I don't need any thing. I've done Headlights and reset SES lights with other members here.

I'm replacing my M style bumper with a mint one, and need to wire fogs as well as replace mirrors for next upgrade. I'm driving to SD to DDM probably Friday morning to get the bumper, fogs, corners, mirrors. It would be cool to get some help with that, I never could even get my old fogs to work and they seemed to be wired correctly? I think I can handle it but haven't done the DIY's yet. Thanks for reply.
if sillie ever has a meet, i could help u out with the bumper and mirrors.

i could also help u with ur fogs, i retrofitted fogs for my car and i had trouble too but was able to figure it out. do they turn on but eventually turn back off?
Old 06-18-2009, 01:47 AM   #20
baysta

My Ride: BMW 330i ZHP
I'm new to DIY so if I could network with you guys for some help in the future that'd be great.
baysta is offline   Reply With Quote