E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-27-2009, 06:25 PM   #1
PoopSock

My Ride: 2001 330i "Herr Schw
Exclamation Lean codes, Oil in Spark Plug, i think i need new Oil Separator + Valve Cover Gasket

Hello Fanatics!

I've been searching long and hard through the forums for the last few days trying to diagnose my problem:
  1. Check Engine Light:
    a week ago, i got a CEL and it came out as a P0174 - System too lean (bank 2). it was still running okay, maybe feeling a little under-powered. after searching around here quite a bit, the obvious spot to check was the lower intake boot.
  2. Lower Intake Boot:
    sure enough, that little accordion bit that goes to the ICV was knackered. so i got a buddy to give me a lift to the local dealership and picked up a new one. while i was working in there i also pulled out the ICV and DISA to check them over. i did note that the hole that the DISA covers seemed a bit gritty, but moved on.
    after installing the boot and double-checking all of my connections and lines, i tried starting it to i could hear it purr into life and congratulate myself on solving it. WRONG. it started for a few seconds huffing and puffing, sounding choked, then died. smelled rich.
    back to the boards.
  3. MAF Cleaning + K&N Filter Recharge:
    hmmm. well, perhaps after moving around all this intake stuff over the last day or so, my MAF sensor got dusty, and i knew my filter was due for a recharge. as i'm a contract employee on a break until june 1st, i decided to start with the less expensive solutions, so i got both of those suckers cleaned up, and re-installed.
    no change, engine starts, idles crappy for a few, then poops aut. so i broadened my search for similar symptoms, and started hearing a lot about this CCV, aka oil separator, as well as the valve cover gasket. since it didn't sound like everything was firing right, i decided the spark plugs would be a good place to start.
  4. Check the Plugs:
    so, all of my plugs have dry sooty crap on the end of them, but upon checking plug #4:

OH HO! what have we here?
i can also see a little bit of the oil down in the plug well too. it's really dark as well (the oil), which is odd since i just changed it a week ago. mobil-1.

anyhow, from all the info i've gathered on here, it seems that a failing oil separator exacerbated/buggered the valve cover gasket seal to that plug in particular (the others probably aren't far behind), and that is why my engine is not wanting to really start, etc...

does that seem right to you? do you have any opinions to add, or other ideas? make your voice heard!

i greatly appreciate any advice anyone can give me over this, as i really cannot afford to go off of hunches, these parts are damn spendy and i gotta be reasonably sure before i drop the cash.

thanks again!
PoopSock is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-27-2009, 10:22 PM   #2
PoopSock

*Bump*

if anyone has any ideas or anything, please do share. :]
Old 04-30-2009, 05:26 PM   #3
PoopSock

hey, just wanted to bump this up to let everyone know that the engine was just flooded.
i DO need a new valve cover gasket, but there's a trick you can do if your engine is flooded!

when starting, just put your foot on the gas to the floor. this puts the computer in flood-clearing mode, and shuts off the fuel... then you can burn off all the crap in your cylinders, get it started, and then let it idle and poop out all the old sh*t.

just thought i'd share.
Old 04-30-2009, 07:05 PM   #4
nosoule46

My Ride: 01 E46 & 05 E83 (X3)
Really cool- Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoopSock View Post
hey, just wanted to bump this up to let everyone know that the engine was just flooded.
i DO need a new valve cover gasket, but there's a trick you can do if your engine is flooded!

when starting, just put your foot on the gas to the floor. this puts the computer in flood-clearing mode, and shuts off the fuel... then you can burn off all the crap in your cylinders, get it started, and then let it idle and poop out all the old sh*t.

just thought i'd share.
nosoule46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 06:51 PM   #5
Waldde325i

My Ride: 04 BMW 325i
Send a message via AIM to Waldde325i
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoopSock View Post

just thought i'd share.

same problem here. press the gas to the floor before turning it on or after

great info
Old 06-21-2009, 07:42 PM   #6
willsbma

My Ride: 99 323i
I thought fuel injection doesn't get flooded?

I have P.A. Soft and a 20-pin adapter. Only used it a few times but pm me if you need anything coded!
willsbma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 09:23 PM   #7
mujjuman

My Ride: not an E46
Good info, but yeah get that valve cover gasket replaced! I still have to do mine.

2003 325xi 5MT
Jet Black, ZSP, ZPP, ZCW, OEM Xenon ^^RIP
sig by Solidjake
mujjuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 02:27 PM   #8
Sk1pp3r7

My Ride: 2001 325i
I need to do mine. Any words on the cost or procedure? Thx
Sk1pp3r7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 02:38 PM   #9
willsbma

My Ride: 99 323i
VCG is like 30-40. Pretty straight forward on the removal and install. You will need an accurate torque wrench that measures in. lbs. though

I have P.A. Soft and a 20-pin adapter. Only used it a few times but pm me if you need anything coded!
willsbma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 03:54 PM   #10
TX_Bullet

My Ride: 2001 325Xi
How do you flood a fuel injected caR??

....and what is the torque spec for the valve cover, getting ready to do my vanos seals
Number of Destroyed Newb Destroyers- 1
The Mods

Power Flex FCAB
Much more coming.....
TX_Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 04:54 PM   #11
crazyafghanguy

My Ride: E46 M3
i have oil in my spark plugs too, i changed my VCG but i still have some oil on there. what can be the problem?

01 M3
Black/Black 6 Speed
Style 95
Amber All Around
Ac Schnitzer Muffler
ZCP Brake Upgrade
crazyafghanguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 05:14 PM   #12
SweTurbo
Big Pimpin'

My Ride: 323i -98
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX_Bullet View Post
How do you flood a fuel injected caR??

....and what is the torque spec for the valve cover, getting ready to do my vanos seals
You turn the starter without firing or have a bad MAF
SweTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
intake, oil, p0174, spark