E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-02-2009, 05:14 AM   #1
djdrumn

My Ride: BMW 320Cd Facelift
Send a message via MSN to djdrumn
How to change voice audio to use in Navi?

Hi there,

My doubt is, how can I change the audio GPS indications to another language (Portuguese, my language).

I mean, English it's totally ok for me, but if I could put it in Portuguese it would be better in my case, naturally, because if I want to sell the vehicle it's another plus on it.

The menus are already changed using NavTweak and all is in Portuguese, but I can't figure how to change the audio commands.

By the way, I'm sure this is possible because other people that I know have it, the problem is, everybody who have this, is selling it and I didn't wanted to be spending almost $200 only to have my system talking in PT because for that I do it myself.

If someone could help me I would be very pleased.

Thank you very much in advance.

Best regards,
Pedro Lima
djdrumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-02-2009, 05:45 AM   #2
e46addicted

My Ride: E46 320CI 2000
Hi

When i retrofitted Nav in my car (all parts used from ebay), the Nav computer had two languages programmed : USA (US English) and ES (Spanish). Those language and voice files are located on the Nav Firmware disc. So i used NavCoder to change the Nav computer language settings. It then asked me to insert the Nav Firmware CD to load the languages i selected (USA and FR) and i was done.

Here is wat i used :

1 - NavCoder (a free software, google it)
2 - A laptop
3 - A Reslers iBus interface (www.reslers.de)
4 - A USB or serial cable (depending on what Resler's interface you get)

With Resler interface and NavCoder, you can configure your Nav, Light Module, TV Module, and Bluetooth, so it payes for itself.

Hope it helps

- '99 323CI Euro Spec - Tit. Silver - K&N CAI - VMR CSL 18s - MTech II Side/Rear - CSL rep fr bumper - CF Door Handles & Trunk Handle - Predator Chromiums 6K - Xenoflo 6K HID - EE LED Tail Lights - OEM Clear Sidemarkers & fronts - UUC RK6BL Shift Knob & E-Brake handle - Autolumination Interior LEDs - UUC Clutch Stop - Parrot CK3K Evo - IV2 - JBL 300W bridged amp - Sony 500W Sub in custom enclosure - OEM 16:9 NAv Retrofit - Rev Camera
e46addicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 06:05 AM   #3
djdrumn

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46addicted View Post
Hi

When i retrofitted Nav in my car (all parts used from ebay), the Nav computer had two languages programmed : USA (US English) and ES (Spanish). Those language and voice files are located on the Nav Firmware disc. So i used NavCoder to change the Nav computer language settings. It then asked me to insert the Nav Firmware CD to load the languages i selected (USA and FR) and i was done.

Here is wat i used :

2 - A laptop

With Resler interface and NavCoder, you can configure your Nav, Light Module, TV Module, and Bluetooth, so it payes for itself.

Hope it helps
Hi,

This may be definitely part of what I need. Now what I need more is, to know how can I change the language voice commands so when I "upload/upgrade" the system, it can be in PT.

Thanks for your kind help.

Best regards,
Pedro Lima
Old 07-02-2009, 06:42 AM   #4
xavi330i

My Ride: 2004 330i smg
The spanish chick sounds hot!!
Old 07-02-2009, 07:00 AM   #5
djdrumn

Quote:
Originally Posted by xavi330i View Post
The spanish chick sounds hot!!
Old 07-02-2009, 07:33 AM   #6
sna77
OEM ///Member

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Hi

Here is wat i used :

2 - A laptop

Hope it helps
A few more things needed from here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by djdrumn View Post
Hi,

This may be definitely part of what I need. Now what I need more is, to know how can I change the language voice commands so when I "upload/upgrade" the system, it can be in PT.

Best regards,
Pedro Lima

- NavCoder is not free. The free version is a trial version. The actual version is $20 to unlock it, which you'll need to do so to make any changes. NavCoder can be purchased here: http://www.siegenthaler.co.nz/NavCoder/

- You need the Nav OS software to upload the language files. v. 32 is the latest. Part # 01590141891. Its about $15 at your dealer. You'll need this.

Once you have Navcoder installed on your system, you then connect the Reslers interface to your CD changer input and the other end to a serial cable connect to a laptop. You make all changes to the car this way.

BTW, You can download NavCoder now and use the trial on your laptop. You can see all the menus, how to program languages etc from here.
sna77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 08:17 AM   #7
e46addicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by sna77 View Post
A few more things needed from here...

- NavCoder is not free. The free version is a trial version. The actual version is $20 to unlock it, which you'll need to do so to make any changes. NavCoder can be purchased here: http://www.siegenthaler.co.nz/NavCoder/

- You need the Nav OS software to upload the language files. v. 32 is the latest. Part # 01590141891. Its about $15 at your dealer. You'll need this.

Once you have Navcoder installed on your system, you then connect the Reslers interface to your CD changer input and the other end to a serial cable connect to a laptop. You make all changes to the car this way.

BTW, You can download NavCoder now and use the trial on your laptop. You can see all the menus, how to program languages etc from here.
Hi Sna77

I did not purchase/activate/register NavCoder, and the trial version allowed me to configure the Nav computer. The only time it asked for registration was when i tried to code the LCM.

- '99 323CI Euro Spec - Tit. Silver - K&N CAI - VMR CSL 18s - MTech II Side/Rear - CSL rep fr bumper - CF Door Handles & Trunk Handle - Predator Chromiums 6K - Xenoflo 6K HID - EE LED Tail Lights - OEM Clear Sidemarkers & fronts - UUC RK6BL Shift Knob & E-Brake handle - Autolumination Interior LEDs - UUC Clutch Stop - Parrot CK3K Evo - IV2 - JBL 300W bridged amp - Sony 500W Sub in custom enclosure - OEM 16:9 NAv Retrofit - Rev Camera
Old 07-02-2009, 08:27 AM   #8
e46addicted

Quote:
Hi,

Best regards,
Pedro Lima
There are always people willing to help on the board, Pedro.

So here you go :

- Open NavCoder
- In the main menu go Code -> Navigation
- Click "Read Language"
- Select desired languages in the language section
- Click "Code Language"
- Follow instructions on your Nav screen

Click image for larger version

Name:	NavCoder.JPG
Views:	321
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	321723

Last edited by e46addicted; 07-02-2009 at 08:31 AM.
Old 07-02-2009, 08:46 AM   #9
djdrumn

Quote:
There are always people willing to help on the board, Pedro.

So here you go :

- Open NavCoder
- In the main menu go Code -> Navigation
- Click "Read Language"
- Select desired languages in the language section
- Click "Code Language"
- Follow instructions on your Nav screen

Attachment 321723
Thank you once again for your kind help.

The problem is, what I want to do is to install a new language, not to use those "default" languages that the system already have. I want to add a language that doesn't even exist officially in BMW (Portuguese).

It's very, very weird that this language doesn't exist, but it's true, unfortunately...

BUT, I've already seen people here in Portugal that was able to manipulate that and put the Portuguese language. Maybe by taking it from other GPS systems and putting it in BMW system, I don't know.

And that's what I really need to know!

If eventually someone knows how I can do that, it would be perfect.

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-02-2009, 08:52 AM   #10
sna77
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Hi Sna77

I did not purchase/activate/register NavCoder, and the trial version allowed me to configure the Nav computer. The only time it asked for registration was when i tried to code the LCM.

Interesting... What version of NavCoder are you using? I downloaded the latest version a month or so ago and had to register...
Old 07-02-2009, 09:11 AM   #11
e46addicted

Quote:
Thank you once again for your kind help.

The problem is, what I want to do is to install a new language, not to use those "default" languages that the system already have. I want to add a language that doesn't even exist officially in BMW (Portuguese).

It's very, very weird that this language doesn't exist, but it's true, unfortunately...

BUT, I've already seen people here in Portugal that was able to manipulate that and put the Portuguese language. Maybe by taking it from other GPS systems and putting it in BMW system, I don't know.

And that's what I really need to know!

If eventually someone knows how I can do that, it would be perfect.

Thanks in advance.
In this case, you must use NavSpeak. Allows you to replace the sound files on the OS Disc. You can take for example, the french sound files, and replace them by PT voice files. You can also create your own sound files. I am using my wife's voice speaking in french for the directions, wich is much sexier than the OEM voice

Old 07-02-2009, 09:13 AM   #12
e46addicted

Quote:
Interesting... What version of NavCoder are you using? I downloaded the latest version a month or so ago and had to register...
It says "NavCoder v2.6.40 - Unregustered Version"

Old 07-02-2009, 09:32 AM   #13
djdrumn

Quote:
In this case, you must use NavSpeak. Allows you to replace the sound files on the OS Disc. You can take for example, the french sound files, and replace them by PT voice files. You can also create your own sound files. I am using my wife's voice speaking in french for the directions, wich is much sexier than the OEM voice
Ahhh you're my hero!

Thank you VERY much! Hehe...

And so if I change, for instance, the UK version, I don't even need to acquire NavCoder neither the ibus connector, right? Just reinstall the firmware, isn't it?

Thank youuuu
Old 07-02-2009, 10:03 AM   #14
sna77
OEM ///Member

Quote:

Can I have a copy of that? i would love to hear your wife speak to me in French when i drive. haa
Old 07-02-2009, 10:04 AM   #15
e46addicted

Quote:
Ahhh you're my hero!

Thank you VERY much! Hehe...

And so if I change, for instance, the UK version, I don't even need to acquire NavCoder neither the ibus connector, right? Just reinstall the firmware, isn't it?

Thank youuuu
You're welcome, mate

As for the procedure, i modified teh FR voice files on the OS disc with NavSpeak. I then used NavCoder to make the system load IT and DE (to replace USA and FR in the Nav computer. I then changed the settings with NavCoder to USA and FR, wich made the system load my modified USA and FR voice file.
I may be wrong, but unless you use NavCoder to change language settings, the system will not load language files. If you are making an OS upgrade vrom v28 to v32, it will display "No loading of languages is required"

Sna77, Technic, or KiwiJochen, can you confirm ?

Old 07-02-2009, 10:06 AM   #16
e46addicted

Quote:
Can I have a copy of that? i would love to hear your wife speak to me in French when i drive. haa
I'm going to do you better than that : Buy me a gun !!!!! j/k

Old 07-02-2009, 10:52 AM   #17
e46addicted

Quote:

But anyway, my custom voice files woun't please you, they're full of codes/jokes that my wife and i have between us. For ex, instead of hearing "Proceed straight ahead", you could hear "Hey ! Fvcker ! Go head and stop looking and smiling at the hotties !!"

Old 07-02-2009, 01:04 PM   #18
sna77
OEM ///Member

Quote:
But anyway, my custom voice files woun't please you, they're full of codes/jokes that my wife and i have between us. For ex, instead of hearing "Proceed straight ahead", you could hear "Hey ! Fvcker ! Go head and stop looking and smiling at the hotties !!"
Thats brilliant. Love it. Haaa
Old 07-03-2009, 07:14 AM   #19
djdrumn

Quote:
You're welcome, mate

As for the procedure, i modified teh FR voice files on the OS disc with NavSpeak. I then used NavCoder to make the system load IT and DE (to replace USA and FR in the Nav computer. I then changed the settings with NavCoder to USA and FR, wich made the system load my modified USA and FR voice file.
I may be wrong, but unless you use NavCoder to change language settings, the system will not load language files. If you are making an OS upgrade vrom v28 to v32, it will display "No loading of languages is required"

Sna77, Technic, or KiwiJochen, can you confirm ?
Hi pal,

Now I have ANOTHER problem!

I've download the Portuguese voices from TomTom website. I've used Viftool to extract the ".vif" file and so I've got OGG files. I've then converted the OGG files into WAV and then I've "downgraded" the WAV quality to 16000Hz, 16bits and Mono, but even so the program NavSpeak still gives me an error when I try to upload that file.

The error is: "Error loading audio file 'data' chunk not found"

What is this?

How can I substitute the audio files?

Thank you in advance.

Best regards,
Pedro Lima
Old 07-03-2009, 08:09 AM   #20
sna77
OEM ///Member

Pedro, you're beyond my expertise here... There is a NavSpeak thread on x5world that you should check out. Lots of users of NavSpeak there...

http://www.xoutpost.com/electronics/navigation-system/

Tags
audio, change, commands, gps, voice