E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW News from around the Web

BMW News from around the Web
Submit the latest BMW news from around the world for other E46Fanatics members to check out.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 342 votes, 4.96 average. Display Modes
Old 07-01-2009, 03:47 PM   #161
akita328

My Ride: 2000 328i sport/prem
I'm about to get my control arm bushings replaced (mushy steering is finally getting to me)... and from what I can see, getting aftermarket is better than OEM (lasts longer). if I get an aftermarket CA busings, and perhaps new control arms itself (not to race or enhance, but replace the original that has degraded), is that considered modification? intent is to repair and just want a replacement that will last longer...

may be I should wait until the sub frame is inspected and repaired if needed before I do any of this...
akita328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 12:28 AM   #162
davesaxces

My Ride: 05' 330ci vert
Update - went to Brecht BMW for subframe inspection. They gave me a '09 328i loaded as a loaner car for the day. Took all day for inspection and am happy to report no subframe issues at this time per inspection.
Old 07-06-2009, 12:56 AM   #163
stevecod

My Ride: 2002 325ci
does this subframe issue happens more to the 5-speed guys or the auto guys too? and i see alot of this happens mostly to the 2000 e46...?
stevecod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 01:32 PM   #164
taylorwilsdon

My Ride: BMW M3
I'm going to be taking my 2001 M3 in for this inspection as the PO received the letter a few weeks ago. Anything I should know?
taylorwilsdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 02:27 PM   #165
loayo

My Ride: 2001 M3 Coupe
Perhaps a redundant question: is this the letter from the law firm or BMW???

Regards,
Loay

2001///M3/PowerchipGroup/Eisenmann/Race Flow S-Pipes/AFe Stage II/AutoSolutions/ZCPs/NGK Ir/ULF/JL Audio Amp/Sub/Clutch-Stop 12.8" 1/4mi
1990 Honda Civic DX Hatch B18c1(GSR)/CAI/Greddy Exhaust/DC Sport/H&R/Suspension Techniques/Tanabe/KDWs/Pulstar/Apex Blue Pearl from 2008 S2K CR 14" 1/4mi
2002 Odyssey EX - Secret Weapon R/Pulstar/CAI 15" 1/4mi
2011 Camry V6 SE - Uper Optik 14" 1/4mi
2001 330ci Dinan S1 [Sold]
loayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 06:26 PM   #166
davesaxces

My Ride: 05' 330ci vert
Letter is from the US District Court for the Central District of California notifying owners/prior owners of E46 models of the impending class action lawsuit. Many BMW dealers are providing a free inspection of the subframe if you call and indicate that you were notified of the lawsuit. If you have not received a letter, chances are you will. It is actually two documents - one outlining the action, and a second questionnaire with questions on details if you had repairs prior to getting this notification and how to submit documentation. The fairness hearing will potentially occur on August 3, 2009 at 10am in Courtroom 3, Western Division Spring Street Courthouse, 312 N. Spring Street, Los Angeles, CA 90012. I said potentially since they can postpone or reschedule or adjourn without notification.
Old 07-06-2009, 07:16 PM   #167
RichReg

My Ride: '00 323Ci, '15 435Xi
O.K. , O.K.> F.Y.I. number 3:

Went to my local dealer this morning for the subframe inspection. They found hairline cracks in the subframe. ...which I found odd because I had new bushings installed only a week ago & my mechanic said everything else underneath looked good.

Anyway, my S.A. then shocks me by telling me that BMWNA will PAY FOR THE WELDING?
I was appalled...I know there's at least one other person on here that has had these repairs covered by BMWNA, but I'm a little suspicious in that I haven't had any problems, and these cracks weren't noticed before. Should I have them show me the cracks? Or should I just wait before even going through with this?
RichReg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 07:21 PM   #168
firefirefire90
Banned

My Ride: suce ma bite
Send a message via AIM to firefirefire90
BMWNA is paying for my entire thing. Make SURE you get a paid loaner car. Guaranteed they will try and scheist you outa it but talk to BMW of NA and you will get a loaner.
firefirefire90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 07:27 PM   #169
RichReg

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefirefire90 View Post
Guaranteed they will try and scheist you outa it but talk to BMW of NA and you will get a loaner.
You're already on the money with that one.... but they always do that 'cause I didn't buy the car at my local dealer. So I should just call BMWNA at their 800 number and say I want a loaner when I make the appointment, huh?

Alright, but I'm still on the fence about whether to wait for the settlement or not. I might have my mechanic give the subframe a second look JUST to be on the safe side.
Old 07-06-2009, 08:14 PM   #170
Itzed

My Ride: 2004 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichReg View Post
Anyway, my S.A. then shocks me by telling me that BMWNA will PAY FOR THE WELDING? I was appalled...
I must be misunderstanding something. Did you mean to say they would NOT pay for it? Or are you suspicious that they are trying to do work that you don't think is needed and collect money from BMWNA?

Last edited by Itzed; 07-06-2009 at 08:17 PM.
Itzed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 08:29 PM   #171
VanosMan

My Ride: 328i/M3 Conv
Remove your appendix organ while they in there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itzed View Post
I must be misunderstanding something. Did you mean to say they would NOT pay for it? Or are you suspicious that they are trying to do work that you don't think is needed and collect money from BMWNA?

Bill the Ins provider.
Health Care and Car Care encourage needless work for profiteering.

It is probably as necessary to weld as the 100yr "War On Terror" is necessary.
VanosMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 09:21 PM   #172
RichReg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itzed View Post
Or are you suspicious that they are trying to do work that you don't think is needed and collect money from BMWNA?
That's one possibility...and yes, they said that BMWNA WILL pay.

But as shorty101 mentioned earlier, "after the 1 year the subframe goes bad I'm screwed? We will have only one year?". That's the other potential scenario...maybe I should wait 'til there's actually a noticeable problem? Will welding some small cracks now prevent anything worse from happening later?

I dunno, maybe I'm overanalyzing it, but this whole issue seems weird to me. I mean 10 years have passed, and now BMW is actually doing something about it? Strange...
Old 07-07-2009, 12:57 PM   #173
taylorwilsdon

My Ride: BMW M3
For the curious, BMW of Seattle knew exactly what I was calling about and set me up with an appointment for Friday. I don't know about the loaner situation, but it doesn't really both me if I don't get one (I have a car that I can borrow).

Hopefully they fix it up good. I'm picking up an aftermarket warranty as soon as it becomes financially sensible to do so (...when my savings are looking a bit healthier)
taylorwilsdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 01:37 AM   #174
richyboycaldo

My Ride: Mx5 300zx 240z 330c
Did both of you guys that are gonna get it fixed for free, do you have any mods or wheels?
richyboycaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 09:10 AM   #175
RichReg

Quote:
Originally Posted by richyboycaldo View Post
Did both of you guys that are gonna get it fixed for free, do you have any mods or wheels?
I have 17 x 8" Ronal Wheels...same size as was the optional Sport Package for the 323Ci in 2000, I believe. New rear shocks as of '06, but they are O.E.M.(Sachs) ...so no major mods to the suspension. I also have 3 Dinan mods to the engine, but I don't think that matters to them.
Old 07-08-2009, 02:12 PM   #176
premiumg

My Ride: 2004 ///M2.5 (330CI)
Send a message via AIM to premiumg
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro3000 View Post
Excluded from the Class are:
(1) BMW NA, its subsidiaries and affiliates, officers, directors, and employees;
(2) Insurers of Class Vehicles;
(3) All entities claiming to be subrogated to the rights of Class Members;
(4) Issuers of extended vehicle warranties;
(5) Individuals who validly opt out of the settlement;
(6) Any judge to whom this matter is assigned, and his or her immediate family;
(7) Any current or former owner or lessee of a Class Vehicle whose Class Vehicle
was modified for racing, whether sanctioned or not;
(8) Any current or former owner or lessee of a Class Vehicle that has been modified
with suspension parts and/or wheels of a different size; and

(9) Any current or former owner or lessee of a Class Vehicle that has released his/her
claims against BMW NA related to the Sub-Frame Condition.
#8 says people who get different size rims are excluded?!!! If I upgraded to 19in rims, I'm ****ed??!!
- predator chromiums
- 19' BBS CH

Check out the new LeBron James documentary:
MoreThanAGameMovie.com
premiumg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 03:14 PM   #177
RichReg

Quote:
Originally Posted by premiumg View Post
#8 says people who get different size rims are excluded?!!! If I upgraded to 19in rims, I'm ****ed??!!
Based on my conversation with the attorney's office last week, I don't think the size of the wheel really matters....its just as long as you haven't modified the car in any way in order to support a wheel size that wasn't ever intended for it.
Old 07-09-2009, 12:44 PM   #178
NNK

My Ride: 328ci
I live in Edmonton Alberta Canada. I called Bavaria BMW at 780-484-0000 and spoke to Sheldon who is the assistant service manager mentioned that he hear a lttle bit about this issue but was noto sure what the fix is for this issue. Any one in the Edmonton area should call either dealer and get the information to them so they know what is happening with this subframe issue outside of their dealership.When I mentioned about the class action lawsuit he was suprised.
NNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 12:48 PM   #179
NNK

My Ride: 328ci
I live in Edmonton Alberta Canada. I called Bavaria BMW at 780-484-0000 and spoke to Sheldon who is the assistant service manager mentioned to him that I wanted to get information regarding the subframe issue and if he can tell me what he knows about it.He told me that he hear a lttle bit about this issue but was not sure what the fix is for this issue. Any one in the Edmonton area should call either dealer and get the information to them so they know what is happening with this subframe issue outside of their dealership.When I mentioned about the class action lawsuit he was suprised.If everyone calls the dealership they may end up calling the BMW NA and get a campaign going to correct this issue and not be so re active and become more pro active to solve the problem.
NNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 12:53 PM   #180
gthaines

My Ride: 2000 323ci
super props for this posting. I would have gotten it fixed and probably thrown the mail in the recycle bin! Now i can finally get rid of that obnoxious squeek.
gthaines is offline   Reply With Quote