E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-22-2009, 05:05 AM   #1
sonaldinho89

My Ride: e90 325i 6MT
subwoofer caused car to go into limp mode??

hey,
so i just installed an aftermarket sub and amp into my sedan firing through the ski port. which is awesome and whatnot....but yesterday, was stuck in traffic on toorak road not moving at all (if you live in melbourne australia, you'll know what i mean) so i decided to check out just how loud i can pump my new sub.

so i'm sitting there idling, turning the volume righhhtttt up
cars shaking, people are staring, so i turn it back down
traffic starts moving, and i start moving, and almost stall (manual)...so i was thinking what the eff? but start creeping along with the traffic
then i realise the cars still shaking, cept the music is really soft
rev the engine a bit, and it's shaking heaps
struggles to get to 4k rpm, and is misfiring like an old V8
plus i'm getting a staccato beat, making it sound like a cylinder or 3 are out.
manage to limp it home, stopping the engine and starting makes no difference.
anyway
disconnected the battery, left it for a while, and when i got back it was as good as new
now the amp i put in isn't all that powerful (2x200W bridged, and my sub only takes 150RMS, so i haven't even pumped the amp all the way up), but could the voltage fluctuations from the amp have set my car into limp mode? i know the bmw electronics are more sensitive than most, but has this happened to anyone else?
hasn't happened since, and i've been pumping it up a fair bit. makes me think it might just have been coz i was idling (i.e alternator output was v low.) or maybe just bad luck/coincidence

anyway, i'm not worried enough to install a capacitor, coz i'm not gonna be pumping in that hard with the engine idling ever.

EDIT: Also, the strange thing was, nothing came up on the dash, no engine light, nothing.

Last edited by sonaldinho89; 07-22-2009 at 06:05 AM. Reason: stuff.
sonaldinho89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-22-2009, 06:27 AM   #2
franz

My Ride: 03 330i
cap won't help the idling thing, it's to protect the system from peak loads when your overall available voltage is there. It may not be enough when you are just idling.

You may have something else coming up, keep your eye out for SES lights, it not as you say just don't worry about it.
Old 07-22-2009, 06:38 AM   #3
skang330

My Ride: 2005 E46 330ci
Send a message via AIM to skang330
Quote:
Originally Posted by franz View Post
cap won't help the idling thing, it's to protect the system from peak loads when your overall available voltage is there. It may not be enough when you are just idling.

You may have something else coming up, keep your eye out for SES lights, it not as you say just don't worry about it.
Thats exactly what I was going to say.
skang330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 06:48 AM   #4
sonaldinho89

My Ride: e90 325i 6MT
k thanks
was just weirded out by the lack of any engine/SES light

Tags
amp, capacitor, limp, subwoofer