E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-27-2009, 01:14 PM   #1
NicB.

My Ride: 2000 BMW 328i
Coilovers and Suspension

Hi guys,

Just starting to chew on the idea of upgrading my suspension with a coilover kit. Two primary questions. First, is this a DIY or is it best left to my indie mechanic? Second, if I get a coilover kit, are there additional parts that will need replaced that would not come with the kit? For example, would it be wise to replace tie rods, etc (basically, replace it all at once), or is it not necessary.

People who have coilovers, did you have a better ride both in terms of handling as well as road noise dampening when you installed them?

What are some of the better kits...DDM, TC Kline, Ground Control, etc? Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks!
NicB.

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-27-2009, 01:18 PM   #2
n2Bimmer

My Ride: Loves Corners
Yes this is a DIY and not hard at all. It all depends on the kit you get, You may or may not need RSM. When i did mine i replace the entire tie rod. Going with a sportier suspension will never be smoother. What are you looking for. Comfort or good performance. DDM i wont comment on. TCkline is great. GC is an awesome handling suspension but pretty harsh on the street. KW is great, AST is also great.
Old 07-27-2009, 01:28 PM   #3
NicB.

My Ride: 2000 BMW 328i
I want an adjustable coilover kit so I can set it to a "softer" setting for the street and an aggressive setting for auto-x. Anymore, it seems like my car takes bumps pretty harshly. I am guessing this is because the shocks have 125,000 miles on them. Seems like any type of new suspension setup should help smooth out the ride quality somewhat, even if it is a coilover kit? Am I mistaken?

What about the PSS9/10 kits? Any good?
Old 07-27-2009, 03:05 PM   #4
Edison@JleviSW
1.888.JLEVISW

My Ride: BMW Duh
Send a message via AIM to Edison@JleviSW
The PSS10 kit is a solid setup, I ran the predecessor kit, the PSS9s, on my E46 and was happy with the comfort. It is a softer coilover and does not have as large range of adjustment like the KW V2s which I now run on my 135. I would go with the KWs if you want something that you can adjust and ride on daily. I drive my car daily and am happy with the level of comfort and improvement in performance. I prefer the KWs over the PSS10 system because it performs better and actually rides smoother, based on my experience, when cruising.
Edison@JleviSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 03:36 PM   #5
KriTiKaL AspecT

My Ride: 2001 AW 330Ci
I'm very pleased with my setup. My v2's can easily be as soft as my oem sport. But you will want to crank them up when you get them. The height range is plenty for most. I could prob keep my oem height but why not go lower! I love how I can drop just the way I want. I'd consider any bushings (rtab and fcab) and probably control arms too and new rear mounts if you have yet to replace any. You should be able to install everything yourself if u don't mind a little work. Rtabs only if your brave and know exactly what your going to need to perform the job.

Headers - KW V2 - Hotchkis Sways - 55w 6000k HID - 35w 6000k HID fogs
EVO 3 SSK mit ein DSSR - EE Tails - Meyle LCA, FCAB, & RTAB w/ Rogue Limiters - M3 Mounts ....

-Paul   BSME           
ASME & SAE Member

KriTiKaL AspecT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 04:03 PM   #6
mujjuman

My Ride: not an E46
thats pretty cool.. make sure your bushings and control arms are doing well

2003 325xi 5MT
Jet Black, ZSP, ZPP, ZCW, OEM Xenon ^^RIP
sig by Solidjake
mujjuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 04:20 PM   #7
Chris-TK

My Ride: Mk VI GTI
If you want adjustable dampening get KW V2s. Get some new Rogue RSMs and some Turner shock mount reinforcement plates.

Tags
coilovers, diy