E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW News from around the Web

BMW News from around the Web
Submit the latest BMW news from around the world for other E46Fanatics members to check out.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-29-2009, 08:29 AM   #1
tim330i
Owner/Admin

My Ride: 03 Ti Silver M3
BMW to Exit Formula One at End of 2009 Season

The BMW Group will not continue its Formula One campaign after the end of the 2009 season. Resources freed up as a result are to be dedicated to the development of new drive technologies and projects in the field of sustainability. BMW will continue to be actively involved in other motor sports series. The landmark decision to restructure BMW Motorsport's activities was made at the Board of Management's meeting yesterday.

"Of course, this was a difficult decision for us. But it's a resolute step in view of our company's strategic realignment," explained Dr. Norbert Reithofer, Chairman of the Board of Management of BMW AG. "Premium will increasingly be defined in terms of sustainability and environmental compatibility. This is an area in which we want to remain in the lead. In line with our Strategy Number ONE, we are continually reviewing all projects and initiatives to check them for future viability and sustainability. Our Formula One campaign is thus less a key promoter for us. Mario Theissen has been in charge of our motor sports program since 1999. We have scored a large number of successes in this period, including some in Formula One racing. I would like to express my sincere gratitude to Mario Theissen and his team for this," said, Reithofer.

Dr. Klaus Draeger, the member of the Board of Management responsible for development, said: "It only took us three years to establish ourselves as a top team with the BMW Sauber F1 Team. Unfortunately, we were unable to meet expectations in the current season. Nevertheless, our ten years of Formula One experience have had a major impact on our development engineers. We have racing to thank for numerous technological innovations as well as the competitive spirit that drives us to develop mass-produced cars." Possible redundancies in Munich and Hinwil cannot be quantified at present. Says Draeger: "Since we only made this decision yesterday, we cannot provide any more precise information. We will develop and assess various scenarios and do our best to find a solution for the employees in Hinwil and the staff members involved in the Formula One project in Munich. We are aware of the responsibility we shoulder and will inform the staff as soon as we can make a clear statement."

Says BMW Motorsport director Dr. Mario Theissen: "Of course, we, the employees in Hinwil and Munich, would all have liked to continue this ambitious campaign and show that this season was just a hiccup following three successful years. But I can understand why this decision was made from a corporate perspective. We will now focus sharply on the remaining races and demonstrate our fighting spirit and put in a good result as we bid farewell to Formula One racing."

BMW will continue its programs in a number of motor sports series: BMW will appear on the starting grid in the touring car series and young driver promotion program in Formula BMW. This will be supplemented by BMW's participation in ALMS, the American Le Mans Series, endurance races and close-to-production customer sports. Furthermore, BMW Motorrad Motorsport will continue its campaigns, with the super bike world championship leading the way.

BMW looks back on a long track record of success in the field of motor sports
BMW achieved eight Formula One victories from 1982 to 1985 with Brabham. In 1983, BMW won the driver's championship with Nelson Piquet (Brabham BMW). The last win with the legendary turbo engine followed with Benetton in 1986. Ten victories were scored during the partnership with Williams (2000-2005). BMW had a total of 19 grand prix wins and 33 pole positions before the BMW Sauber F1 Team era.

In its debut season in 2006, the newly established BMW Sauber F1 Team wound up fifth in the constructor's championship. In 2007, the German-Swiss team came in second after McLaren-Mercedes' exclusion from the points standings. The 2008 season saw the team in the hunt for the world championship until the end of the season, winding up third. Polish-born Robert Kubica achieved the first and hitherto only GP victory in Canada on June 8, 2008. So far, the BMW Sauber F1 Team has taken one pole position (Kubica in Bahrain in 2008) and 16 podium finishes. The BMW Sauber F1 Team occupies the eighth spot in the manufacturer's standings in the season presently underway.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW-Exit-Formula-One-End-of-2009-Season_1.jpg
Views:	1122632
Size:	223.3 KB
ID:	325333   Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW-Exit-Formula-One-End-of-2009-Season_2.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	325334  
tim330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-29-2009, 09:49 AM   #2
snowcatxx87

My Ride: 04 330CI
I think this is a move in the right direction. Formula 1 is very expensive, and the time and money devoted to the R&D of these cars is costly.

If this keeps BMW in the forefront, not posting huge losses like other car companies, it's a good thing!
snowcatxx87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 10:04 AM   #3
dfjaws

My Ride: '08 E90 M3 / '02 Z3
Sad, but I think it might be what's best.
Old 07-29-2009, 10:10 AM   #4
Guy With A BMW

My Ride: 2001 AW 325Ci
That blows goats...now im gonna have to stop wearing my BMW F1 jacket, shirts and shoes!!! FAAAACK!
Old 07-29-2009, 10:20 AM   #5
gavin877

My Ride: 2002 E46 318CI
Look at it this way they hadnt seen success with many years and billions poured into this

The will still be in motorsport but why let the BMW name be tarnished sitting at the bottom of the grid, wonder what motor sports they will concentrae on Formula BMW will still grow and grow expect ventures into 24hrs and GT racing
gavin877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 10:20 AM   #6
nightdagger

My Ride: 2004 TiAg 325Ci 5MT
Well F1 is pretty much dead. With Ferrari, BMW, and McLaren all having such an abysmal season and the FIA wanting to cap budgets, I guess it's about time.
nightdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 10:25 AM   #7
phrozen06
NA V8

My Ride: E46, E92 M3, R32 VW
Send a message via Yahoo to phrozen06
F1 is like a stomach that continues to slowly digest itself.

S65: 4.0 Liter, V8, 414 hp @8,300 rpm, 295 lb/ft @3900 rpm, 445 lb, DOHC, 12:1 C/R, crankshaft 44 lb, wet sump.
2 oil pumps,double vanos variable valve timing, EMS: MSS60, 8 electronically controlled individual throttle butterflies.
4 valves per cylinder, cracked trapezoidal connecting rods, brake energy regeneration. Ion-flow combustion monitoring.

phrozen06 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 10:31 AM   #8
dogdaysunrise

My Ride: Sechsundvierzig
Good decision! Also rape the design team that is responsible for the latest 7 series, but that's another story!
dogdaysunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 01:46 PM   #9
The_Dubz

My Ride: '01 325 coupe black
I like how there is just b1tches in the side of the group picture
The_Dubz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 02:40 PM   #10
DTM925

My Ride: 80 911 SC , 08 E63
It's rumored that Ferrari spends around 900 million per season in F1. If BMW is anywhere in range it's wise to pull out. This season has been a disaster! However they will be leaving two talented drivers ride-less for 2010. It will be interesting where they'll end up.
DTM925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 02:51 PM   #11
wat3rbug

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325 xi
It actually just seems like a public release to cover why they, as well as half of the supporting players, are bailing out of F1 because of the draconian rules being set by the current administration.
Old 07-30-2009, 12:16 AM   #12
josephmech

My Ride: 2001 325i sedan 5m
F1 was over regulated anyways i mean the narrow rear wing rule lame.
BMW should concentrate on real racing like Lemans type and give us a diesel with a manual tranny
josephmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 01:15 AM   #13
rage2

My Ride: CLK63 BS, C63 AMG
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTM925 View Post
It's rumored that Ferrari spends around 900 million per season in F1. If BMW is anywhere in range it's wise to pull out. This season has been a disaster! However they will be leaving two talented drivers ride-less for 2010. It will be interesting where they'll end up.
Actually, Ferrari spends around $450m-$500m on their F1 team. They also pull in the same amount in sponsorship, prize money, TV money, etc. Ferrari AFAIK operates their F1 team at a small profit.

BMW's target was to win the F1 championship this year. They're not even close to doing it, so they called it quits. BMW won't be pulling in the dollars like Ferrari, so they're probably operating at a loss of under $50m. Their board never mentioned the economy in the press conference, just poor performance, and realigning BMW's image towards "sustainability and environmental compatibility", whatever that means.

Honda's pullout last year was a mix of poor performance and $. Honda had no sponsors, so they were probably losing $250m-$300m a year!
rage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 01:45 AM   #14
dirkph

My Ride: E46 BMW 330CI
What a shame. And they were so close to signing some sort of agreement that would solidify their presence until 2012. How things change so quickly...

Their performance last year was perfectly tolerable. One bad season just turned everything around...
dirkph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 07:01 AM   #15
apollotrance1

My Ride: '02 330i, '05 GSXR1k
Its a good thing, there is an unbelievable amount of money tied up to into it. They can focus on their customers cars r&d alot better now
apollotrance1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 09:14 AM   #16
raptorman5174

My Ride: 330i ZHP
I was actually just staring to get really into it. It is sad yes but it is also true that R&D for these cars can run into the Millions of dollars. In these hard economic times something has to give

18 VMR CSL's
Koni FSD's
Eibach Sport Spring's
UUC Power Pullies
Sprint Booster
raptorman5174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 12:01 PM   #17
dirkph

My Ride: E46 BMW 330CI
Quote:
Originally Posted by wat3rbug View Post
It actually just seems like a public release to cover why they, as well as half of the supporting players, are bailing out of F1 because of the draconian rules being set by the current administration.
I doubt it. Every team has to abide by the rules.

BMW just had a really, really bad season.

And honestly, sure money is an issue... but it's not like BMW is short on cash or is lacking sponsorship. They have the money/resources to continue.

I think poor performance is the main reason they are pulling out.
dirkph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 07:33 PM   #18
BlueAngel

My Ride: 1998 BMW M3
BMW average budget is around 275 million US dollors a season.
BlueAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 07:37 PM   #19
mr bravarian

My Ride: bmw 330i
bmw sauber will b missed.
mr bravarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 07:38 PM   #20
BlueAngel

My Ride: 1998 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bravarian View Post
bmw sauber will b missed.
Oh snaps! John wassup! I see u heard the bad news too huh.
BlueAngel is offline   Reply With Quote