E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Gun Talk

Gun Talk
Are you a gun fanatic as well? If so, you'll want to talk to other owners about what you own in this forum.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-26-2009, 03:56 PM   #101
GlockMan

My Ride: Suburban LT 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWfanfromQuebec View Post
ruined all of grade 8 and 9 for me.

thnx gun abusers.
Do you even own a car yet?

Ranting about Panny plasmas, Canon cameras, Glocks, BlueNile, and HDMI cables on a BMW board since 2005.

2007 Chevy Suburban LT 4x4 with Nav/Bose/DVD/JL (works for me)
1968 Ford Mustang with Polk/ADS (my first car)

2007 Lexus GS350 with every option
2000 BMW DINAN M5
2001 BMW 330ci
GlockMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 04:14 PM   #102
JoeVert

My Ride: 135i
Quote:

thnx gun abusers.
aww I am sorry the last 2 years have been so bad for you.
Old 05-26-2009, 04:23 PM   #103
Focal E46

My Ride: is a DIYer
Quote:

thnx gun abusers.
...still hasn't made a useful post
Old 05-26-2009, 04:48 PM   #104
dmoeller17

My Ride: 350Z
Send a message via AIM to dmoeller17
‘‘Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined’’
— Patrick Henry

‘‘The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able may have a gun.’’
— Patrick Henry

‘‘Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.’’
— Jefferson's "Commonplace Book," 1774-1776, quoting from On Crimes and Punishment, by criminologist Cesare Beccaria, 1764

‘‘No freeman shall be debarred the use of arms (within his own lands or tenements).’’
— Thomas Jefferson: Draft Virginia Constitution (with his note added), 1776. Papers 1:353

‘‘To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them...’’
— Richard Henry Lee, 1787

‘‘And that the said Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the press, or the rights of conscience; or to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms; or to raise standing armies, unless necessary for the defense of the United States, or of some one or more of them; or to prevent the people from petitioning, in a peaceable and orderly manner, the federal legislature, for a redress of grievances; or to subject the people to unreasonable searches and seizures of their persons, papers or possessions.’’
— Samuel Adams, Debates of the Massachusetts Convention of 1788

‘‘[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation (where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms.’’
— James Madison, Federalist, No. 46.

‘‘Are we at last brought to such humiliating and debasing degradation, that we cannot be trusted with arms for our defense? ... If our defense be the real object of having those arms, in whose hands can they be trusted with more propriety, or equal safety to us, as in our own hands?’’
— Patrick Henry

‘‘I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials.’’
‘‘To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them.’’
— George Mason

‘‘No slave shall keep any arms whatever, nor pass, unless with written orders from his master or employer, or in his company, with arms from one place to another. Arms in possession of a slave contrary to this prohibition shall be forfeited to him who will seize them.’’
— A Bill Concerning Slaves, Virginia Assembly, 1779

‘‘The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose.’’
— James Earl Jones, Actor

‘‘The right of self-defense is the first law of nature; in most governments it has been the study of rulers to confine this right within the narrowest possible limits. ... and [when] the right of the people to keep and bear arms is, under any color or pretext whatsoever, prohibited, liberty, if not already annihilated, is on the brink of destruction.’’
— St. George Tucker, Judge of the Virginia Supreme Court 1803

‘‘Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed; as they are in almost every kingdom of Europe. The supreme power in America cannot enforce unjust laws by the sword; because the whole body of the people are armed, and constitute a force superior to any bands of regular troops that can be, on any pretense, raised in the United States’’
— Noah Webster, 1888

‘‘Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the act of depriving a whole nation of arms, as the blackest.’’
— Mahatma Ghandi, "Gandhi, An Autobiography", page 446

‘‘In a polity, each citizen is to possess his own arms, which are not supplied or owned by the state.’’
— Aristotle

‘‘Germans who wish to use firearms should join the SS or the SA - ordinary citizens don't need guns, as their having guns doesn't serve the State.’’
— Heinrich Himmler

‘‘We cannot be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.’’
— B.J.Clinton, USA Today, 3/11/93 page 2A

‘‘The most foolish mistake we could possibly make would be to allow the subjected people to carry arms. History shows that all conquerors who have allowed their subjected peoples to carry arms have prepared their own downfall by so doing. Indeed, I would go so far as to say that the underdog is a sine qua non ["something essential" lit. "without which not"] for the overthrow of any sovereignty. So let's not have any native militia or police.’’
-- Adolph Hitler, Edict of March 18, 1938

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
— Abraham Lincoln

‘‘When we got organized as a country and we wrote a fairly radical Constitution with a radical Bill of Rights, giving a radical amount of individual freedom to Americans ...... And so a lot of people say there's too much personal freedom. When personal freedom's being abused, you have to move to limit it. That's what we did in the announcement I made last weekend on the public housing projects, about how we're going to have weapon sweeps and more things like that to try to make people safer in their communities.’’
— Bill Clinton, 3-22-94

‘‘ They, the makers of the Constitution: conferred, as against the government, the right to be let alone - the most comprehensive of rights and the right most valued by civilized men.’’
‘‘Experience should teach us to be most on our guard to protect liberty when the government’s purposes are beneficial ... the greatest dangers to liberty lurk in insidious encroachment by men of zeal, well meaning but without understanding’’
— Supreme Court Justice Louis D. Brandeis, 1928

‘‘...for it is a truth, which the experience of all ages has attested, that the people are commonly most in danger when the means of insuring their rights are in the possession of those of whom they entertain the least suspicion.’’
— Alexander Hamilton

‘‘A government resting on the minority is an aristocracy, not a Republic, and could not be safe with a numerical and physical force against it, without a standing army, an enslaved press and a disarmed populace.’’
— James Madison, The Federalist Papers (No. 46).

‘‘It is not the function of our government to keep the citizen from falling into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the government from falling into error.’’
— Justice Robert H. Jackson

‘‘The power of collecting and disbursing money at pleasure is the most dangerous power that can be entrusted to man.’’
— attributed to Horatio Bunce in Sockdolager

‘‘You need only reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence.’’
— Charles A. Beard

‘‘Four out of five politicians surveyed prefer unarmed, ignorant peasants.’’
— Unknown

dmoeller17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 11:18 PM   #105
justinrn21

My Ride: 00 323ci / 91 318is
I had to draw a shotgun on someone at my house in college. It was around 3-4 in the morning and I hear breaking glass and walk outside and see three guys breaking out a bunch of car windows. I said that I was going to call the police (they were my roommates cars and a few randoms) so they came running up to my door with metal bats. I locked the door and went to my room to grab my 12g Rem. 870. They tried to break down the door, and did a good job at ruining it, but they did not get into the house. If they did, I probably would have had three dead - critically injured people.

I called the police and they came within a couple minutes. They asked the usual questions and before they left, I asked what would happen if they came again, what can do for protection? They basically said that I can use any force necessary if I feel that I am endangered. I even mentioned that we had guns in the house and they said that metal bats are considered deadly weapons, so I would be justified.

I am glad that I didn't have to fire my gun, but I definitely was prepared to use it. A warning shot just shows that you most likely won't defend yourself if needed and gives the BG a chance to hurt you. I consider a warning shot on the same level as brandishing a weapon that isn't loaded.
Old 05-26-2009, 11:24 PM   #106
SD 328I

My Ride: S197, E90, and 1125R
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCali View Post
I'm thinking of getting a gun, but my question to justify owning one is do I need it?

So, whether it was a gun you owned or a buddy with his gun, has a potentially life threatening situation been averted as a result of the presence of a gun?

I know I can get some good feedback here ... and let's keep this related to the question presented and not in a debate on god knows what

fire away
In the Army, but not in civilian life.

I don't keep a gun for self protection, I keep it to have and love. Also to shoot 9mm, .40 & .45 cal holes in cardboard targets and waste $$$ every week shooting at said paper targets.
Old 05-27-2009, 12:08 AM   #107
Coldintake
Registered OG User

My Ride: Mid-engine beast
Quote:
Originally Posted by glockman9c View Post
I think the most important thing to remember is...

Do not allow your gun to magnify a conflict. You should avoid conflict MORE having a gun not less. It is easy to not back down knowing you are packing, even though it is ALWAYS best to try a defuse a situation.

Being right and killing someone is not better than walking away from a situation with a bruised ego.

If you can not do that, you are not ready for a gun.

JMHO.
This is solid advice.
Old 08-01-2009, 05:23 PM   #108
Lexie330ci
ILCUTAWOOTIE

My Ride: 330ci
Send a message via AIM to Lexie330ci
I have never had to use my gun on anyone nor can I imagine using it on anyone, but here is my story on how I went from hating guns to becoming a supporter of guns.

I was playing basketball sometime ago, just minding my own business, doing my thing. When a group of kids came out (17-20), there were about 9 or 10 of them. They watched me play for a little bit. I even asked if they wanted to get a game going. They laughed at me...whatever. So I keep playing, and they come into the court and they just hang out on the other side of the court (this is a outdoor full court, they took up half court). And I dont know what happened, but they started cursing at me for no reason. I ignored it. Then they got vulgar, a little nasty...I ignored it. But then, they started throwing rocks at me...I was like- fuck this, im out. So I leave my ball and start running to my truck. I turn around, and all of them are running after me...So I run to my truck, and as soon as I get in and lock my doors, these clowns jump on my car and start kicking the shit out of it. Have you ever watched a move where a woman is being chased by some guy and she gets in her car and she tries to turn it on but cant, and then youre like "BITCH PUT THE KEY IN NAO!!!"Well, I kinda went through the same thing lol. I couldnt get the key in as quick as I wanted, but I did. Threw it in reverse, almost ran one over, two fell out of my bed, and hit one on my way out (he was fine). I cant tell you how scared I was...And to be honest, if I had a gun, I wouldnt have used it, I would have done the same thing I did, which was run and avoid the conflict. But As im pulling out, my girl friend pulls in...and then they started attacking her car...So I was like- no sir...its fucking curtains...So I turnaround. But by the time I got my clunky ass truck to U-turn she was a safe distance from them.

If someone ever picked a fight with me or tried anything, I will fight them like a man, with my fists. Chances are I will lose. But if someone ever tried stupid shit with someone I love, then Its game over, no holds. Guns still scare the shit out of me. Ive taken lots of classes, had a lot of practice, but they are extremely dangerous, and I think too many people who shouldnt be allowed to own them, own them anyway.

Need brakes? Bother Anthony Here!
Lexie330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 05:51 PM   #109
NJx330CI

My Ride: About to be a M3
Are you guys all 007 operatives aiming for the head of some sh!t?

What happen to shooting someone in the leg, or arm?
NJx330CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 05:54 PM   #110
Lexie330ci
ILCUTAWOOTIE

My Ride: 330ci
Send a message via AIM to Lexie330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJx330CI View Post
Are you guys all 007 operatives aiming for the head of some sh!t?

What happen to shooting someone in the leg, or arm?
If you have ever used a pistol, you would know unless someone is 5 feet away from you it is too difficult to shoot someone in the extremities. Shooting for the torso is much easier and safer (less likely to hit stuff behind the person).Plus, if you shoot someone in the extremities and they dont die (even if they were trying to kill you), they can turn around and try to sue you down the road.
With the rifles tho...head shots all the way

Need brakes? Bother Anthony Here!
Lexie330ci is offline   Reply With Quote