E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Other BMW Models > General BMW Model Discussion

General BMW Model Discussion
All non E46 BMW model questions in here. Look below for E36, E90 and F30 specific forum. For additional model specific forums check out bimmerfest.com!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-04-2009, 07:56 PM   #1
inlinesicks

My Ride: E46, Jeep, Subaru
X5 Manual or Auto?

I'm planning on buying a E53 X5 and I'm debating between a manual transmission 3.0i or an auto 4.4i, I would much rather it be a manual but do you think I will regret not getting the extra power of the V8? It's not like I'm going to be taking to the track or anything I'm just worried about it feeling underpowered on the road, what do you think? Oh yeah, also I've heard that the V8's are less reliable, is this true?

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-04-2009, 08:03 PM   #2
BSR423

My Ride: has fool coverage!
Get the is model or nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisTKHarris View Post
F that, I'll buy a gun instead.
BSR423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 08:16 PM   #3
m3on20z
Sh!t Happens.

My Ride: W203 dumped on 20's
Send a message via AIM to m3on20z
I had an E53 3.0i, honestly it has more than sufficient power for driving around town (thanks to the gearing), but once you're on the highway trying to pass someone at 80/90 you wish you had more power there. My advice is to definitely get the Sport Package model in either the 3.0/4.4i, and you'll be a happy camper.

Oh, and get the 4.6is kit, and aluminum running boards...they totally change the way the X5 looks!

My old whip..
Old 08-04-2009, 09:09 PM   #4
inlinesicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3on20z View Post
I had an E53 3.0i, honestly it has more than sufficient power for driving around town (thanks to the gearing), but once you're on the highway trying to pass someone at 80/90 you wish you had more power there. My advice is to definitely get the Sport Package model in either the 3.0/4.4i, and you'll be a happy camper.

Oh, and get the 4.6is kit, and aluminum running boards...they totally change the way the X5 looks!

My old whip..
Oh man, that X5 is I will definitely be getting the 4.6is kit.
Old 08-05-2009, 03:24 AM   #5
EDawg

My Ride: :/
just get the 4.4 auto. imo, an auto fits the driving style of the x5 better than a manual.
EDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 09:56 AM   #6
Riverbmr3

My Ride: slow 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by edawg View Post
just get the 4.4 auto. Imo, an auto fits the driving style of the x5 better than a manual.
+1
Riverbmr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 12:14 PM   #7
inlinesicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDawg View Post
just get the 4.4 auto. imo, an auto fits the driving style of the x5 better than a manual.
Yeah thats what I was thinking to, have any of you heard anything bad about the transmissions? I assume their not as bad as the e46 auto because there is no "noreverse.org" for X5's lol, but how do you think it would stand up to offroading and towing and such?

Tags
e53, x5 3.0i