E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 4.60 average. Display Modes
Old 07-28-2009, 12:59 AM   #1
delmarco

My Ride: 330i
Send a message via ICQ to delmarco Send a message via Yahoo to delmarco
Cool Pictorial DIY: BMW E90 HomeLink/Temp/Compass/Anti Dazzle Mirror Retrofit to E46

This is for an upgrade from the stock E46 AUTO DIM Mirror to the later model years AUTO DIM Mirrors with the enhanced features. My car also has RAIN SENSOR but during the DIY I realized the Rain Sensor module has no business with the mirror other than sharing the housing. So I will state here that this DIY is workable regardless of rain sensor or not.

This has to be the easiest DIY for the E46 provided you get your hands on a good mirror that has all the trimmings uncut and unspoiled. There is no tools required for this DIY other than opposable thumbs, a brain and a dental pick.

I lucked out and found this 2006 E90 Premium Package Mirror on eBay for under $200. It came in new condition with the connector still attached. Make sure your mirror also come with its connector harness attached or you will have to splice wires and possibly trek down to the dealership to buy a new mirror harness for the upgraded mirror you are installing.

From 2001 to now BMW has not really changed their mirrors. Once the mirror that is currently in your E46 has auto dim then the connector harness will be the same for all later year mirrors with auto dim as well as other mirrors with both auto dim and the other features. I believe this is regardless of what model car you get the mirror from (IE. a 2008 7 Series Sedan's mirror should fit in a 2001 E46 sedan)

My new mirror came with the pigtails of the E90 connector cut from the car and not cut from the mirror. So I was able to un-clip the E90's in-car-connector's wire pigtail leaving just the mirror and it's connector. Which I was hoping would also connect up to the E46's in-car-connector.

Start the DIY by removing the current mirror. The rain sensor housing un-couples from the center. Press your opposable thumbs against them and spread the shells apart. It should give you no trouble whatsoever.

Underneath you will find the mirror's neck and, if you have it, the rain sensor module that sits against the glass and away from the mirror. So don't touch it.

Next up you will un-clip the old mirror's connector from the E46 in-car-connector and remove the mirror from the car. Swivel the neck on the top hinge towards the passenger side until it pops out. It may be stiff so give a slow firm pull. The Dealership's DIY Manual says turn it about 45 degrees to release it. Again it should give you no trouble.

Compare the connector clips of the new and old mirrors. They are the same.

Attach the new mirror. If your E46's in-car-connector is different than that of the new mirror's then you need to find a E90's (or E46 that came with Anti Dazzle) in-car-connector. The dealer sells a retrofit kit or harness connector just for this thing.

Screw the neck of the new mirror onto the car. This should be no problem.

Now you are almost done...

here is where you can test the new mirror once the harness connectors are all connected. turn the car on and make sure the compass lights up and when you press any homelink button a small yellow indicator lamp blinks.

Time to finish up by replacing the housing. I noticed the housing that came with the new mirror was the newer, bigger E90 style with vents and all. Not sure what the E90 was packing under all that plastic...

I tried to get cute, but it didn't look pretty. lol.

The E90 housing also fits onto the E46 but the E46 rain sensor footprint didn't match up properly...

Most of you buying mirrors may not get any E90 (or whatever) housings with the mirror so don't worry about getting this with the new mirrors since your old E46 housing will work and fit over any of the newer mirrors.

Last edited by delmarco; 07-28-2009 at 01:45 AM.
delmarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-28-2009, 01:00 AM   #2
delmarco

Calibrating The Mirror (Part 2)

Once you see everything is working you can turn on your cabin lights to see how the mirror auto dims. Mine dimmed immediately and to my surprise it was
a Blue-ish tint dim and the not the same as the E46 original dim.

Drive around for 30 minutes or so before doing anything. I found this got the mirror warmed up as the auto dim feature seemed to have a mind of its own during the first couple of minutes it was on and the compass was stuck on NW.

After find a empty parking lot where you can do a a couple of tight circles (donuts) without drawing the attention of law enforcement. Get a dental pick or something similar where the pointed end is slightly "grippy" or "rubbery" or just rough. You will find the hole at the bottom of the mirror and fish around for what should be a small button inside the hole. My button was way in there and felt metallic and slippery. A pin and pen did not work for me even though the BMW Dealer's Manual said to use one or the other.

Once you find your button, push and hold for about 8 seconds or until a C appears. Now start doing donuts until the C becomes a direction. You can also turn on your GPS (Tom Tom Go 720 was what I have in my car) to double check. After about 3-5 minutes of circling my C became an S for south.

Now stick your dental pick in there again, find the button and hold for 3-4 seconds or until the number 8 appears. Use the BMW Dealership guide to locate your Zone Code. For New York and the Tri-State Area it is 11. Push the button to change the number and stop when it gets to your number. Mine went from 8 to 9 to 10 and to 11. After you find your number leave it alone and in about 10 seconds your direction will reappear and your mirror will be ready for use.

There is a main HOMELINK website specific for Homelink Calibration. Google for it and you should find it or I will try to post a link later on.

As you can see below my mirror also carry characters for Temperature Display. At the moment I have no idea on how to bring that feature up. But if anyone can add info I will be grateful. I will also try to update with info on this later.

Enjoy!

You now have the $3,350 E90 BMW Premium Package in your car!

VISIT MY GARAGE TO SEE ALL MY MODS:

http://directory.e46fanatics.com/use...rMod&UcId=7917

Last edited by delmarco; 07-28-2009 at 01:36 AM.
Old 07-28-2009, 01:10 AM   #3
BreakMyWallet

My Ride: B6 A4/ Mini Cooper S
pretty cool
Old 08-06-2009, 12:23 AM   #4
delmarco

Quote:
Originally Posted by bishop1977 View Post
now the question is can you go from the basic mirror that doesn't dim to one that has dim and homelink?
Good Question...
Yes you can! In fact back in the early 2000s lots of DIYs surfaced that had this idea in mind.

You mainly need this retrofit wire loom harness which I just sold on eBay for $52 with my old mirror...

The rest of what you are supposed to do is pretty obvious. The premium package mirrors only need power and ground to work for each feature on whatever mirror you get. All you got to do is splice these wires going to your car to any power and ground source on your car.

This allows you to basically add ANY 2001 to present day Premium Package Mirror (whether it has auto dimmer, compass, alarm-LED, homelink, SOS, etc...) to ANY BMW sedan and coupe from 1992* to present day.

Not a lot of BMW drivers are savvy to this mirror DIY secret!

The retrofit wire loom harness by itself can be bought at any BMW Dealership for around $30+. Then you go on eBay and get yourself a Premium Package Mirror for a cheap and lo' your E32, E34, E36 or early year E46 cars can have the same 2009 Premium Package mirrors that BMW want $3,350 for on their 2009 vehicles.

*I haven't checked but all BMW sedans and coupes from 1992 to present day are supposed to share the same hex-shaped mirror anchor on their windshields.

Last edited by delmarco; 08-06-2009 at 12:28 AM.
Old 08-06-2009, 09:40 AM   #5
skang330

My Ride: 2005 E46 330ci
Send a message via AIM to skang330
I love your DIY's
skang330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 01:48 PM   #6
FlzRider
OEM ///Member

My Ride: AW 1M
Great DIY, but I can't find the mirror for sale on ebay, any recommendations for search terms? Also, how much did the mirror cost you?

FlzRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 04:47 PM   #7
delmarco

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlzRider View Post
Great DIY, but I can't find the mirror for sale on ebay, any recommendations for search terms? Also, how much did the mirror cost you?
I was very patient and lucky. I pretty much had this specific mirror set up on my eBay want to buy/search list for almost a full year. And every so often one will come along. I didn't even want the homelink, I just wanted the compass feature. But a few sellers had the mirrors with the compass alone for $300 buy it now. So when one came up with a $0.99 starting bid/no reserved I hawked in on it and luckily won it for $182.

More incredible SNA77 won his homelink/compass mirror for only $100, only because the seller didn't realize the mirror had a compass on it, and didn't know what the homelink buttons. I think the seller just listed it as a regular BMW Mirror and SNA77 luckily saw in the pics that the mirror had a compass and homelink buttons and bid on it immediately.

My eBay seller had awful pictures that made it seemed like the mirror wire harness was shredded beyond repair. Luckily I caught it in the picture that the lengthy cut wire harness was actually the Retrofit Wire harness that was cut-for-splicing onto older cars.

Old 08-07-2009, 01:53 PM   #8
FlzRider
OEM ///Member

My Ride: AW 1M
I kind of figured you bought it on a lucky ebay auction. I finally found a few on ebay and the prices vary from about $300-$600. I guess I will have to keep my eyes open on them. What terms did you use in your search for WTB on ebay?

Great DIY, btw.

FlzRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 01:25 PM   #9
delmarco

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlzRider View Post
I kind of figured you bought it on a lucky ebay auction. I finally found a few on ebay and the prices vary from about $300-$600. I guess I will have to keep my eyes open on them. What terms did you use in your search for WTB on ebay?

Great DIY, btw.
eBay Motors > Buy > Parts & Accessories > Car & Truck Parts > INTERIOR: BMW Mirror

BMW Mirrors are pretty much universal fitting on all BMW sedan/coupes from 1992 to present day. For BMW cars made before 2001 you will need the retrofit harness to add power/ground to the mirrors.

So just do a general search for any BMW Mirror since most sellers do not know what they are selling or think the mirror they are selling only works for the cars the mirror came out of.

Last edited by delmarco; 08-08-2009 at 01:36 PM.
Old 08-24-2009, 12:09 PM   #10
SD-Brandon

My Ride: 05 330i ZHP
You may want to note that if your car has BMW Assist, there could be complications. I did this retrofit (Although, my mirror doesn't have temperature, has a smaller clown nose, and the compass is hidden until the car is on). I needed to move PIN7 to PIN2 to get Assist from kicking in and disabling my radio/NAV. I also noticed that the fit is a bit snugger on the E90 mirror vs the E46. Where more pressure is needed to get it on. Almost feels like you're gonna wrench that plate off.
Old 08-29-2009, 08:54 PM   #11
delmarco

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD-Brandon View Post
You may want to note that if your car has BMW Assist, there could be complications. I did this retrofit (Although, my mirror doesn't have temperature, has a smaller clown nose, and the compass is hidden until the car is on). I needed to move PIN7 to PIN2 to get Assist from kicking in and disabling my radio/NAV. I also noticed that the fit is a bit snugger on the E90 mirror vs the E46. Where more pressure is needed to get it on. Almost feels like you're gonna wrench that plate off.
I have no idea what you are talking about...

The was no trouble fitting the new mirror on. Albeit my new mirror came from a 2006 E90 and my car is a 2001 330i without Asist or Nav.

The flat clown nose/hidden compass mirrors is relatively new mirror so I can't speak for how that mirror fits. But if you say you got it to fit on an E46 then more power to you and the rest of us who follow suit.

Old 10-05-2009, 02:54 PM   #12
jason330cic

My Ride: 2001 330cic
Has anyone tried adding a compass / homelink mirror on a convertible? I've read a few threads about installing the mirror but they are all for hardtops. My 2001 330ci convertible currently has a manual mirror with only the clown nose (no auto dim or homelink). I looked at the mirror plug and it has six wires on it. Also my car is supossed to be prewired for homelink.

I already ordered a compass mirror so I hope it just plugs in and works without having to rewire anything.

I also took a look at my parents 2003 330ci convertible and it had 9 wires on the mirror plug instead of 6 like mine has

jason330cic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 10:10 AM   #13
viceversa

My Ride: 2004 325i
bump...

Probably going to try this in a few months once I've finished up some other mods, found this link on realOEM for the part:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...89&hg=61&fg=95

OP: I am sure your English Writing teacher told you this every year, regardless of who s/he was: writing is important. Others will either respect you or ignore you or piss on you if you type like a moron. This isn't an instant message site; it's a forum. We aren't texting each other right now. We are typing messages. Type regular English and people are more likely to respond.
viceversa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 08:41 PM   #14
delmarco

Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci00782 View Post
bump...

Probably going to try this in a few months once I've finished up some other mods, found this link on realOEM for the part:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...89&hg=61&fg=95

yup...these mirrors are indeed OEM parts.

lol.

Good Luck.

BTW...

This is the easiest and most obvious DIY you can do on our cars. I'm still surprised I was like the 2nd person in the last 10 years to think of it (SNA77 being the first).

Old 11-01-2009, 09:05 PM   #15
sillieidiot

My Ride: '06 AW 330ci
Send a message via AIM to sillieidiot
it could be that no one really is bothered by the rearview mirror or wanted to change it out. i've wanted to for a long time, but i keep spending my money on lights lol

Have a lighting problem? Read this first:
Lighting-related Troubleshooting Guide
sillieidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 09:42 PM   #16
delmarco

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillieidiot View Post
it could be that no one really is bothered by the rearview mirror or wanted to change it out. i've wanted to for a long time, but i keep spending my money on lights lol
Yeah see I'm the opposite I don't like wasting my money following the crowd getting the same ole' mods that everyone and the grand moms got.

Angel Eyes are getting a little tired now. I did that mod on my 1995 318i like 6 years ago and I'm not up for putting 'em on my current car when I can add stuff that I didn't get a chance to add on my previous cars.

As soon as I figure out this Bluetooth, Sirius Tuner, iPod, and the OEM MP3/CD Head Unit and/or OEM Nav upgrade I'm modding my entire entertainment center next.

It's just so confusing because there is no one thread that seems to agree on what to get, what goes where and what parts are available.

Old 11-01-2009, 09:50 PM   #17
sillieidiot

My Ride: '06 AW 330ci
Send a message via AIM to sillieidiot
yea i'm the same, but i seem to be addicted to lights for some reason (not just car mods, but lights in general). i, too, don't have angel eyes on my ride yet, but that's only because i'm working on quad xenons for my car and are waiting for EAS to bring theirs out for my model car.

hopefully you figure out your ice situation. are you planning on going OEM for everything?

Have a lighting problem? Read this first:
Lighting-related Troubleshooting Guide
sillieidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 09:35 PM   #18
sna77
OEM ///Member

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarco View Post

As soon as I figure out this Bluetooth, Sirius Tuner, iPod, and the OEM MP3/CD Head Unit and/or OEM Nav upgrade I'm modding my entire entertainment center next.

It's just so confusing because there is no one thread that seems to agree on what to get, what goes where and what parts are available.

I have done everyone of those OEM mods you mentioned above....
sna77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 09:43 PM   #19
JK1150

My Ride: 2004 325CI
So I guess those of us without dimmers from the factory won't have the universal connector to add a dimmer?
JK1150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 09:45 PM   #20
sna77
OEM ///Member

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by JK1150 View Post
So I guess those of us without dimmers from the factory won't have the universal connector to add a dimmer?
its a 5 min swap to do this. don't be discouraged.
sna77 is offline   Reply With Quote