E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Car Care & Detailing

Car Care & Detailing
Get detailing answers and tips here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-28-2009, 02:08 PM   #21
Girmis

My Ride: 330Ci Sold
First, I wanted to say thank you for Greg. I believe if not you, this issue would be my own fight. I am amazed with your customer service. You contacted leatherique even tho I did not order leather treatment from you (I ordered directly). I have my own business and I understand that selling the same product as others the only difference is customer service. You earned a lifelong customre here. Thank you

Second, Leatherique. Started with cleaning leather seat, now I will be a seat painter, restorer. Something I never wanted to do. Oh well, always the first time. Thank you for you call, I hope whatever you are sending me will fix my seat. George, it looks like you take your time to write emails, all of them quite long and full of explanations, just when I am frustrated it is hard to compare my leather seats and my girlfriends' skin....

I will post pictures before and after, hopefully will make some leather dying diy guide. It seems like fun weekend project ... or not.
Old 05-28-2009, 02:46 PM   #22
George LRP

My Ride: BMW 740il
Hi Greg and friends, I'm always happy to help. It's good to have an example such as this one. The seats can easily look like new again with minimal work and care as the leather is intact, and not cracked or damaged.
The dye will not come off on clothes as the pigment is encapsulated in a 6 link co-polymer base that bonds into the leather fibers. Our company formulated water based dye technolgy back in 1960, that everyone emulated by the laste '80's as the laquer based technolgy was found to be hazardous. My dad died of cancer in 1982, from spraying lacquers and smoking of course. So we personally strive to make sure everything we manufacture is safe for us and for the environment, and will be durable.
My regards,
George
www.Leatherique.com
George LRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 03:30 PM   #23
THATS FRESH

My Ride: SSHNIPER
Send a message via AIM to THATS FRESH Send a message via Skype™ to THATS FRESH
nice to see it was resolved. so what was the cause? the seat previously being dyed?
Old 05-28-2009, 04:07 PM   #24
Girmis

George (leatherique) says that is wear of dye and leather. The seats were not dyed before.
Old 05-29-2009, 05:36 PM   #25
Greg@DetailedImage.com
Clean Shine Protect Expert

My Ride: is clean & protected
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girmis View Post
First, I wanted to say thank you for Greg. I believe if not you, this issue would be my own fight. I am amazed with your customer service. You contacted leatherique even tho I did not order leather treatment from you (I ordered directly). I have my own business and I understand that selling the same product as others the only difference is customer service. You earned a lifelong customre here. Thank you

Second, Leatherique. Started with cleaning leather seat, now I will be a seat painter, restorer. Something I never wanted to do. Oh well, always the first time. Thank you for you call, I hope whatever you are sending me will fix my seat. George, it looks like you take your time to write emails, all of them quite long and full of explanations, just when I am frustrated it is hard to compare my leather seats and my girlfriends' skin....

I will post pictures before and after, hopefully will make some leather dying diy guide. It seems like fun weekend project ... or not.
Thank you for your understanding and I'm glad we could help you get some solid information about the situation. I look forward to hearing about your results when you get time. Take care!

Greg @ Detailed Image
Greg@DetailedImage.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 09:13 PM   #26
sirch

My Ride: 330i, 545i
Has anyone airbrushed the dye/paint on? I need to re-dye my front seats and thought I might be able to do it without removing the leather if I used an airbrush.
sirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 09:47 PM   #27
fmzip

My Ride: 2001 330cic & 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoKeNfLY View Post
I've never had issues with the product either and I also have grey seats like you. I left the oil on for 48+ plus and scrubbed it afterwards with the cleaner like a mad man with a brush and no issues.
Same here, sorry to hear about your misfortune.
Old 06-17-2009, 03:43 AM   #28
RTJS

My Ride: BMW E46 328ci 1999
You need to remove the leather from the seat to re-dye?? I need to do my driver seat and armrest.
RTJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 08:08 AM   #29
fmzip

My Ride: 2001 330cic & 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTJS View Post
You need to remove the leather from the seat to re-dye?? I need to do my driver seat and armrest.

That is incorrect......you may want to take the seat out of the car if you are concerned about getting dye on your carpet, that's about it
Old 08-09-2009, 02:06 PM   #30
scoon

My Ride: 2001 325i
Hey there,

My interior did have a bad dye job and after using the leatherique, my seats are splotchy just like the op's. What will be needed to re-dye them? I have the sand interior.

Thanks in advance.
scoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 03:17 PM   #31
HodgesJ300

My Ride: Ferrari, I'm sorry
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoon View Post
Hey there,

My interior did have a bad dye job and after using the leatherique, my seats are splotchy just like the op's. What will be needed to re-dye them? I have the sand interior.

Thanks in advance.
Bump... for curious about this as well
HodgesJ300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 06:32 PM   #32
Hogan773

My Ride: 2002 325xi
Would also be nice to hear whether OP's seats ended up getting fixed w/ the dye
Hogan773 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 11:47 PM   #33
Chrissy

My Ride: 335i
OP after pix?
Old 08-31-2009, 12:08 PM   #34
icaka875

My Ride: 320CI 2001
Hi George,
Do you supply these in Europe? Ebay?
icaka875 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 09:43 PM   #35
ProReflection
Auto Detail Austin TX

My Ride: 972-834-9150
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissyb View Post
op after pix?
+1
ProReflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 11:29 AM   #36
Blind32

My Ride: '07 Z4MC
Send a message via AIM to Blind32 Send a message via Yahoo to Blind32
OP you still with us?
Blind32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 06:24 PM   #37
DME46

My Ride: has free candy.
http://www.leatherrepairkits.com/repair_kit.shtml

embrace this moment
remember
we are eternal
all this pain is an illusion
DME46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 11:35 PM   #38
Girmis

OK, so here is my review of leatherique leather recoloring system. I did it now almost three months ago, so I think I can review it.

I will start from the very begining. First, dye removal liquid. I would say works fine, the leather color comes off quite easy. It was almost imposible to remove old dye evenly everywhere, as the dye "comes back" after leather dries. Well, I spend most of the time preparing the leather. Wasn't bad at all, just gets messy and very time consuming if you want to do it right.

Application. Straight forward. Went to Art supply store (artblick) and bought decent fine art brush for water based paint ($30 brush on sale for $12). Aplication was easy, I've put two very thin coats on the seats. It looked way much better than before. At that point I was very excited. Leather texture is not as OEM dye, even after very thin coat in some areas I can tell that it was repainted - it just looks smooth, without texture. Color matched very close to OEM, however, it is a little bit shiny (I hate that), not matte like original. At least I did not have these nasty blobs of different color.

Now the bad part. Longevity. I will post pictures later, however, it is not good. Most of the seat looks good, however, there are few spots where the paint is changing color-peeling-not holding well. Not sure how to explain. It is on the bottom of the seat and the very bottom of the vertical part of the seat (don't know the word). I assume my pants (jeans 90% of the time) are sanding the dye away. It looks like dark spots, looks like dye missing. That started few weeks after redyeing and it gets worse every month. I will have to redo the seat, not sure if I will be able to do only that part without screwing up the whole seat.

So my suggestion: if your seats are not in bad shape, don't do it. It does not look as good as OEM, it does not feel like OEM and I would rather buy another seat than go through this again.
It takes some time. I took the seat out, cleaned it, removed the old dye, dry, recolor, dry, recolor, and then it has to sit for few days....So it is not one day project.

If you have seats like mine, well, it looks much better, color matches good, however, it does not last. I assume I will have to do this over and over again. This is my daily commute car, so I wear and tear is unavoidable. I believe it this system would work on show restored cars which you drive once a month with light shorts during the summer month and clean afterwards, but not everyday.

I hope this helps, I will take some pictures this weekend.
Girmis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 01:42 AM   #39
jerseymike68
Banned

My Ride: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3
Great seats
jerseymike68 is offline   Reply With Quote