E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-22-2009, 03:18 PM   #21
s3th

My Ride: 05 330Ci ZHP
143 bmw

500px
s3th is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 03:37 PM   #22
Raine

My Ride: e39
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinderstod View Post
Are you kidding me?

Even following DIYs, working on my 330ci is ****ing waste of time and energy. Every "small easy fix" turns into bullshit upon bullshit and wasted hours.
Hahaha, I agree man. A good rule of thumb is to double any estimated time for any DIY here, except changing the oil probably. Anyone saying this car is easy to work on doesnt gotta deal with that stupid fan clutch, or never changed out their crankcase vent valve, or had to replace their RTAB's. Even replacing that god forsaken guibo requires you to drop the whole damn exhaust to get to 2 bolts. I can go on and on.

Hell I had to replace my alternator a few days ago and that was a P.I.T.Fkin.A. Every time I work on this car, I curse at the engineers that decided to make the simplest things so overcomplicated. Sure the engine bay looks nice, but youre gonna spend twice the time working on it.

I was working on my moms CTS a few weeks ago and its the simplest car ever to work on. Everything comes apart easily, and half the bolts are the same size so youre not constantly swapping sockets like this car.

Really the best thing about these cars is all the documentation for them, you can find a guide for pretty much anything, and I suppose that makes it "easy". Not as easy as people try to make it seem on these forums though.
Raine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 03:42 PM   #23
kinderstod

My Ride: 2003 BMW 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raine View Post
Hahaha, I agree man.
Ugh, yeah I had to change the starter on mine last year, that was an entire weekend of nightmares. The only repair so far that I've given up on and sent it to the mechanic was the transmission. The torque converter went bad and broke about one month after I bought the car. I didn't even want to try and service that
kinderstod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 03:43 PM   #24
GoingNuts
Just Nuts

My Ride: 2004 330Ci
Well I didn't know how to put in washer fluid or have opened the hood on a car for more than 5 time in my life before I opened up the BMW engine to replace the vanos seals. I would say the BMW is as easy as lego if you are good with lego as a kid. Of course not everyone is good with lego as a kid.
GoingNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 03:59 PM   #25
omairkhanzada

My Ride: 330ci
lol thank god i only have 45k miles and plan on selling it in another 10 lol
omairkhanzada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 06:00 PM   #26
Raine

My Ride: e39
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinderstod View Post
Ugh, yeah I had to change the starter on mine last year, that was an entire weekend of nightmares. The only repair so far that I've given up on and sent it to the mechanic was the transmission. The torque converter went bad and broke about one month after I bought the car. I didn't even want to try and service that
Yeah, starter / transmission problems are some of the few things that I would actually go to a mechanic for. That and the evaporator core behind the dash, but I sold the car when I found out it went bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingNuts View Post
Well I didn't know how to put in washer fluid or have opened the hood on a car for more than 5 time in my life before I opened up the BMW engine to replace the vanos seals. I would say the BMW is as easy as lego if you are good with lego as a kid. Of course not everyone is good with lego as a kid.
The vanos seals really arent hard at all. Just somewhat time consuming. Doing the seals on my old car was one of the few DIY's that went really smooth. But you can thank that comprehensive guide for that one.
Raine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 10:55 PM   #27
AlphaVortex

My Ride: jalopy!
+1 on ease of maintenance, -1 on amount of maintenance. Its literally 50 times easier to work on then my last car, an Eclipse. That thing was a frightening endeavor to even replace the spark plugs (the whole intake manifold had to come off). I might hate how often this one breaks (the price you pay I suppose), but at least its been easy as pie, and I have learned a TON.
AlphaVortex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 11:01 PM   #28
///BMW5

My Ride: 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisTKHarris View Post
You really get on my nerves.
+1 jesus f'ing christ
Old 08-22-2009, 11:13 PM   #29
02alpinebimmer

My Ride: Not a BMW:(
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingNuts View Post
Take a look at realoem, then you will think your car is a big lego set. This is why all the kindergarten aged people want BMW's. They think it's a goddamn toy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisTKHarris View Post
You really get on my nerves.
+1. Yeah after reading through these posts, i'm really starting to see that this GoingNuts kid is a real jackass... He could ruin a wet dream...

I can read/reset engine codes. (87 and up)
PM ME

-Steve OK-
02alpinebimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 11:14 PM   #30
yogi799

My Ride: 99 328i auto
Try doing a CCV and you'll know if they're that easy... Nightmare of a job, I mean nightmare man! Probably next worst thing to taking the engine apart! And they do fail on almost everyone in cold climates. So I'm not cherry-picking something rare to make the point, this is **** that happens frequently and is a ***** to fix. Bad design!

I personally like the opennes of old Civic. Tons of room. True, our engines are twice as large, but still...

Nothing like a pick-up truck engine bay. You can fit 5 yards worth of ratchet extensions in there LOL
Old 08-22-2009, 11:21 PM   #31
nka203

My Ride: 330Ci
Send a message via AIM to nka203
meh, my nissan was easier to work on but bmw isnt so bad i guess.
nka203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 11:22 PM   #32
nka203

My Ride: 330Ci
Send a message via AIM to nka203
Quote:
Originally Posted by yogi799 View Post

I personally like the opennes of old Civic. Tons of room. True, our engines are twice as large, but still...

Nothing like a pick-up truck engine bay. You can fit 5 yards worth of ratchet extensions in there LOL
theres tons of room in there cuz its a 4cyl and the engines so tiny... e46 has 6. same with all other 4cyl cars.. theres always tons of room.
nka203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 03:42 AM   #33
Chriztofor

My Ride: 2000 323i (Auto)
My only 2 complaints: 1) Expansion tank easily breaking and being physically integrated with the radiator 2) No dipstick for the auto trans. I believe #1 BMW took care of in the E90 by locating the expansion tank away from the radiator like every other car on the road and #2 BMW made worst by taking away the oil stick too!
For most BMW problems start off by reading your codes using a peake research tool. Note, as mentioned by other members, although Autozone checks your codes for free they use a generic OBDII tool that does not have the BMW specific fault codes.
Chriztofor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 03:54 AM   #34
NorCal Einstein

My Ride: E92 335i
Send a message via AIM to NorCal Einstein Send a message via Yahoo to NorCal Einstein
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriztofor View Post
My only 2 complaints: 1) Expansion tank easily breaking and being physically integrated with the radiator 2) No dipstick for the auto trans. I believe #1 BMW took care of in the E90 by locating the expansion tank away from the radiator like every other car on the road and #2 BMW made worst by taking away the oil stick too!
I really miss having a physical dipstick to check oil level. A simple task like topping off oil is such a pain when I have to navigate through the iDrive menu to figure out if the car is low on oil, guess an amount of oil to add, and then wait for the car to get to temperature before the car will show the updated oil level!

Current:
2009 E92 335i Alpine White/Coral Red

Past:
2007 E92 335i Sparkling Graphite/Black
2000 E46 323i Steel Blue/Grey

NorCal Einstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 04:03 AM   #35
dmon_101

My Ride: has sexy fogs/shoes
Send a message via AIM to dmon_101
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/profile...gnore&u=122473

Dealer Programmable Options | Projector Fogs FTW
There are a lot of Fs and too many Ks in the F/M/K scenario <- posted before I met my wife
To answer your question, it's something you can find by searching the forum or using Google
dmon_101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 04:03 AM   #36
Chriztofor

My Ride: 2000 323i (Auto)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Einstein View Post
I really miss having a physical dipstick to check oil level. A simple task like topping off oil is such a pain when I have to navigate through the iDrive menu to figure out if the car is low on oil, guess an amount of oil to add, and then wait for the car to get to temperature before the car will show the updated oil level!
Some things should never be "improved".
For most BMW problems start off by reading your codes using a peake research tool. Note, as mentioned by other members, although Autozone checks your codes for free they use a generic OBDII tool that does not have the BMW specific fault codes.
Chriztofor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 04:10 AM   #37
mkodama

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmon_101 View Post

mkodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 09:14 AM   #38
GoingNuts
Just Nuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Einstein View Post
You can have my dipstick if you like. I never use mine and just let the light tell me if a top up is necessary. Normally I ignore the light as well until it start showing up while driving.

Last edited by GoingNuts; 08-23-2009 at 09:17 AM.
Old 08-23-2009, 09:16 AM   #39
GoingNuts
Just Nuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkodama View Post
The link didn't work for me. What's going on ?
Old 08-23-2009, 09:44 AM   #40
tiloulou330i

My Ride: 02 330i zsp
Send a message via AIM to tiloulou330i Send a message via MSN to tiloulou330i Send a message via Yahoo to tiloulou330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by packrat555 View Post
I totally agree and actually like working on this car more than any other car I have owned. But I do think there are too many weak parts in the car that fail. I have never heard of simple parts like pulleys needing replacement and how many people / cars do you know that rebuild there cooling system before they have a problem. The front control arm seems a joke of a design and in particular the RTAB. Oh and what about that oil filter housing design that leaks, it's like a $500 job to replace a $5 gasket. I don't believe other cars have these issues.

So if you buy an e46 with 80K you need about $2000 worth of parts to rebuild everything we constantly post about here. Can you imagine how much a dealer or independent would charge for the labor? More than the car is worth. I could never recommend this car to anyone not prepared to spend money on parts and do their own work. It is simply not a good car for the average consumer and most would be better suited with an Accord.
My car has 106k miles on original cooling components.No problem at all.I guess i have a good reliable e46. With almost 5 years of ownership i only had to change the alternator and struts/shocks and CA's.

Originally Posted by nawmean?
I know I sound naive, but some of the advice I've taken from this board has helped my life quite a bit
tiloulou330i is offline   Reply With Quote