E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW News from around the Web

BMW News from around the Web
Submit the latest BMW news from around the world for other E46Fanatics members to check out.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 30 votes, 4.60 average. Display Modes
Old 08-13-2009, 01:34 PM   #261
gthaines

My Ride: 2000 323ci
A little FYI/Heads up to everyone:
First off I believe the subframe is actually the suspension for the rear end, and not really related to the suspension system. Mine has punctured through the frame and as can be seen on the video posted previsously the subframe only torques (and creaks) when engaging the clutch, and NOT when going over bumps/turns as the rest of the suspension does.

I took my car in for inspection (already knowing it was busted, but following protocal) and first & only thing service agent does is right down that I have aftermarket wheels (Haman 18") and shocks (Bilstien sports). Of course I have just replaced the rear shocks weeks prior hoping that this will stablilize the rear end and buy me some time (not to mention they were also shot). Long story short, I was denied by BMWNA rep due to the new shocks and now will be dealing with them on the phone as I had this problem inspected and documented by a shop prior to replacing the shocks. Also to note, the BMW Encinitas Service Center Rep tried to politely warn me that if it actually does get approved I will be without my car for several weeks and a loner will not be provided. A rather transparent attempt to try and convince me its not worth getting it fixed. Did I mention the mount pulls completely out of the frame, completely!

I will post what happens, but safest bet is to keep stocks on or even purchase stocks if necessary. 150$ worth of shocks is much cheaper than 5000$ to fix it yourself.
gthaines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 12:16 AM   #262
Blacke46bmws

My Ride: black 2001 330i
I have a an American Car But i live in Canada, So do i get the inspection, and i have A Koni suspention so does that mean i dont get a free inspection

<-----454 Big Block Chevy,Cams Racing Headers Dominator 1000CFM carb Chevy 12 bolt posy diff Roll cage Tubbed 16" Slicks 560 HP--->1973 Pontiac astro
Codename: WD40
Blacke46bmws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 12:31 AM   #263
WFRFitness

My Ride: 2000 328CI E46
Regarding the Repair process:
Two days after I brought my 328ci in for inspection I called and drilled the service department about exactly how the repairs are done and now I share.... There are two ways which the repair is done and which is used depends on how bad the rip is.

If crack(s) is/are under 20mm an epoxy is used which fills up the area thus reinforcing the mount. If this is the case with your car it will be a quick process and does not even require approval from BMW NA for the shop to do the repair.

If crack(s) is/are over 20mm a section of the floor board where the sub-frame mounts is cut out and replaced with new tougher material. I believe (but was not told this from the service dept.) they fill the area with epoxy on this repair also. Because this is a MUCH lengthier process and MUCH more expensive the dealer must take photos of the crack(s) and send them in for approval from BMW NA.

I hope this clears up any questions about the repair, I know I was really wondering how it was done. My cracks were right at 20mm so I am waiting to hear back from BMW NA about how exactly they would like to repair. All I know is it better be STRONG I expect to start putting some mods on my car when I get it back!

Last edited by WFRFitness; 08-14-2009 at 12:33 AM.
WFRFitness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 10:17 AM   #264
rkneeshaw

My Ride: 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by monochrom3 View Post
Has anyone submitted documents for potential reimbursement and heard back? I sent in some stuff, but waiting to hear. (Sorry if this has been covered, but I haven't read all the pages yet :-)
I sent in my docs about a month ago, no word yet. I expect it will take some time before adn if I see any money, legal matters usually take for-freakin-ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetskier88 View Post
WOOOO WHOOOOOOOO... fukkk i hope i get my money back... this was honestly the one thing i was really butt hurt about spending money into my car
+1!

rkneeshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 01:23 PM   #265
Guerrilla Garage

My Ride: 3 series
So I just got done crawling around on the floor under my car looking for cracks and could find none. I didn't really expect of find anything as the car only has 26k on it. But somebody please tell me more about this epoxy stuff used in the cases of less severe cracking. Is this something that could be done as a preventitive measure? -Steve
Guerrilla Garage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 09:29 AM   #266
monochrom3

My Ride: e46 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkneeshaw View Post
I sent in my docs about a month ago, no word yet. I expect it will take some time before adn if I see any money, legal matters usually take for-freakin-ever.

+1!
I'm with you on that. I'm not too hopeful, but that's a big chunk of cash that could be spent on more mods!
monochrom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 11:40 AM   #267
easyIsle

My Ride: 02 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesoff View Post
Can we have it inspected more than once? Can I go to the dealer this week, but then go again before the Sept. 2010 deadline?
I would think the inspection will be saved in the computer ... i doubt they would waste time on it twice. But wouldnt hurt to try it. These cars are always worth a second opinion
easyIsle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 09:35 PM   #268
BadBoostedBmwM3

My Ride: 323i & e36 Turbo M3
Hello, everyone I have 2002 330xi and 2000 323i. Do I need to get the 330xi inspected?? Also, is there any way that the dealer can get out of replacing/fixing the sub-frame???
Old 08-17-2009, 12:23 PM   #269
Latinimagexx

My Ride: 330 CI
That kind of sucks that you have to have stock suspension.

BLACK ON BLACK is BEAUTY
Latinimagexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 01:53 PM   #270
easyIsle

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadBoostedBmwM3 View Post
Hello, everyone I have 2002 330xi and 2000 323i. Do I need to get the 330xi inspected?? Also, is there any way that the dealer can get out of replacing/fixing the sub-frame???
Yes. Yes, by lying. But they should have no interest in doing so (liability. And profits are protected by BMWNA, so thats no issue).
Old 08-17-2009, 01:57 PM   #271
easyIsle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinimagexx View Post
That kind of sucks that you have to have stock suspension.
I would say no. Its definite or nada sucking.

It doesnt suck for me since i have stock suspension and tasteful M3 wheels (installed at the dealership.)

It DEFINITELY sucks for people that went for aftermarket parts.
Old 08-18-2009, 06:38 PM   #272
Mizar

My Ride: 325it ESS TX-2
What about SC?

Has anyone who has a supercharger installed actually gotten this approved for free repair? If they only check the rear end, it might work. I know, most folks who have an SC also have other mods on the suspension, but, believe it or not, I don't. ALL stock, except the for the SC...
Old 08-18-2009, 07:11 PM   #273
JL328i

My Ride: BSM 03 325i 5MT ZSP
so... it passed or what? can i call my BMW dealership and schedule to have my car inspected for subframe damage(For free)?
Old 08-18-2009, 08:53 PM   #274
eco10530

My Ride: 2002 Silver 330ci
I have an appointment for my free inspection tomorrow at 8am at Levin BMW in Schererville, Indiana.

Can I request to be present inside the shop as they examine the subframe?

2002 330ci
Titanium Silver
Mods: LED Tail lights, Khoalty LED Angel Eyes,
Keyhole Delete, DICE Silverline PRO iPhone Integration
eco10530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 11:33 PM   #275
burrito007

My Ride: M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizar View Post
Has anyone who has a supercharger installed actually gotten this approved for free repair? If they only check the rear end, it might work. I know, most folks who have an SC also have other mods on the suspension, but, believe it or not, I don't. ALL stock, except the for the SC...
im pretty sure when they turn the car on, your cover will be blown....

hahaha. sorry i couldn't resist.

Stock
------------------------------------------------
Previous cars:
2000 323i
mods: koni adjustable shocks, UUC pulleys, shark injector, ecis intake
Wheels: OZ Superleggera 18x8 and 18x9
burrito007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 03:14 PM   #276
PeterGunz50

My Ride: In my garage
I just purchased a 00 323ci and took it to the dealer for an oil change and general inspection. I specificly asked them to inspect the rear end due to noise from either hard shifting or sitting still and putting it in gear(5 spd). So they called me and told me there was a recall that requiered them to drop the rear subframe. This repair is ok and all but, now they are tring to charge me for an alignment. I just casualy agreed and told them to go ahead. Since I work at a dealership I kinda know whats going on. I haven't got a hold of anyone but I definatly know if my alignment was ok before the procedure, I shouldn't have to pay for another alignment. I will get back to everyone and tell them how I made out.
PeterGunz50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 03:53 PM   #277
PeterGunz50

My Ride: In my garage
I just contacted my dealership and the alignment will be covered. I requested pictures and have just recieved one pic. But I requested more.
PeterGunz50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 03:54 PM   #278
eco10530

My Ride: 2002 Silver 330ci
Just as an update...everything was ok with my subframe...took about 50 mins for them to check...they don't allow customers in the garage/mechanics area...so how do I really know everything is ok!? Feel like taking it to another dealer....

2002 330ci
Titanium Silver
Mods: LED Tail lights, Khoalty LED Angel Eyes,
Keyhole Delete, DICE Silverline PRO iPhone Integration
eco10530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 04:40 PM   #279
RichReg

My Ride: '00 323Ci & '06 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterGunz50 View Post
I just contacted my dealership and the alignment will be covered. I requested pictures and have just recieved one pic. But I requested more.
Hmmm...interesting.
I asked about an alignment afterwards and they said it wasn't necessary.
I guess that everyone's situation is different.

On another note, I had my mechanic do an oil change today and we noticed the new subframe mounts underneath, and there were definitely spots of reinforced sheetmetal. So it would seem that the job was done properly.
RichReg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 08:10 PM   #280
WFRFitness

My Ride: 2000 328CI E46
Quote:
Originally Posted by eco10530 View Post
Just as an update...everything was ok with my subframe...took about 50 mins for them to check...they don't allow customers in the garage/mechanics area...so how do I really know everything is ok!? Feel like taking it to another dealer....
Um... I do believe to do a complete inspection they have to remove the sub-frame they had my car for a whole day.
WFRFitness is offline   Reply With Quote