E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-02-2009, 11:49 PM   #1
Hogan773

My Ride: 2002 325xi
DEPO corners - open cracks?

EDITED - SCRATCH THIS - I AM WRONG AND DEPO looks fine

Hey guys - I just got a brand new set of DEPO clear corners for facelift sedan. They look nice (would prefer not to have the DEPO stamp on the front, but whatever.......maybe I'll wetsand it out if it shows too much)

ANYWAY, question for others with Depo corners -- I notice that its like 2 pieces fused together - like the inside light part has a front clear cover, then there is the actual front cover that's a separate piece fused on. When you look behind the rubber gasket on top and bottom, you see there is a small crack or space between those 2 pieces. Is that the way everyone's is? I'm trying to figure out if I should caulk up that space to prevent any water getting in between the 2 "windowpanes", or whether its better to leave it as is so air can go in and out. Perhaps if its sealed up more, then it will fog and have more trouble dissipating the moist air trapped inside.....

I haven't pulled off my OEM amber corner to see if it also has this little gap, or not.

Last edited by Hogan773; 09-03-2009 at 09:51 PM.
Hogan773 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-03-2009, 08:21 AM   #2
Hartman

My Ride: 2000 323i
Mine leaked like crazy from the cracks you describe. I bought DEPO because I thought they would be of better quality, turns out that's not true at all. I took some black RTV and went around the entire corner and filled in the channel, including underneath the rubber strip. Seems to be good now.

It's unfortunate that no one makes quality aftermarket corners.
Old 09-03-2009, 08:37 AM   #3
Edison@JleviSW
1.888.JLEVISW

My Ride: BMW Duh
Send a message via AIM to Edison@JleviSW
The most important thing with the DEPO corners is make sure you have the rubber elbows/macaroni on the back of the headlights. These are crucial to eliminate moisture in the headlight.
Edison@JleviSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 09:23 AM   #4
Hogan773

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartman View Post
Mine leaked like crazy from the cracks you describe. I bought DEPO because I thought they would be of better quality, turns out that's not true at all. I took some black RTV and went around the entire corner and filled in the channel, including underneath the rubber strip. Seems to be good now.

It's unfortunate that no one makes quality aftermarket corners.
Sorry if I'm an idiot but what is RTV?

Quote:
The most important thing with the DEPO corners is make sure you have the rubber elbows/macaroni on the back of the headlights. These are crucial to eliminate moisture in the headlight.
Sorry Nick but can you elaborate? Do you mean the rubber seal that is on the Depos? As mine are new, then yes it has that seal on top and bottom. Are you saying I need to tuck these behind the headlight seal? Or are you just saying I need to have them on the corners (which they are cause they're new) and their presence on the corners will deflect oncoming water?
Old 09-03-2009, 09:28 AM   #5
Edison@JleviSW
1.888.JLEVISW

For the facelift sedan corners, there will be a fabric patch on the back of the corner that will allow air to pass through. Make sure that it is installed as if it's not, moisture can get in.
Old 09-03-2009, 10:25 AM   #6
Hogan773

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick@Jlevi SW View Post
For the facelift sedan corners, there will be a fabric patch on the back of the corner that will allow air to pass through. Make sure that it is installed as if it's not, moisture can get in.
I do see a blue fabric patch covering a small hole in the back of the corner - I assume that's what youre talking about. You're saying that allows the air to circulate while still not allowing big drips to come in (kinda like a GoreTex material or something)

So Nick do people seal up that outer light or do they just leave it as is? I am not worried that the INNER area will get wet, as there doesnt seem to be a place for the water to get in, but I could see water coming in the outer area.
Old 09-03-2009, 12:13 PM   #7
Bimmer Dude Xi

My Ride: 03 325XI 07 ZX-6R
Send a message via AIM to Bimmer Dude Xi
I'm on my second set of clear front depo corners and why does the housings always melts?

|Dinan High Flow Air Box|Eibach Pro Kit|Koni Sport|UUC Strut Barbarian|UUC TSE3|UUC Underdrive Pulleys|18" VMR V710|

|BMC Race Air Filter|CRG Spectrum Levers| Galfer Steel Braided Brake Lines|Volar Motorsport Spiked Frame & Bar-end Sliders|
Bimmer Dude Xi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 01:52 PM   #8
josephi

My Ride: '02 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer Dude Xi View Post
I'm on my second set of clear front depo corners and why does the housings always melts?
Those Depo parts are cheap and poorly made, IMHO. Both of my front corners are melted from the heat generated by the Solaris Invisibulbs I had in them. I switched both bulbs to regular amber, and hopefully, they won't get as hot, but now they have that yellow eggyolk appearance, which defeats the purpose of getting the clears in the first place. I also got a set of Depo clear sidemarkers. Those were also poorly made. The seams around the edges were unevenly glued and looked cheap, and they wouldn't fit into place without modification. I bought a set of OEM clear sidemarkers, and the difference was like night and day. Much better construction, the seams were even all the way around, and they just snapped into place with no problems whatsoever. OEM's cost more, but I think they're worth the price difference.
josephi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 01:59 PM   #9
freshprince2421

My Ride: 325ci
no problems here with my Depo sidemarkers.

My Depo corners on the other hand The inside of one is melted from the heat caused by my OEM amber bulb.
Old 09-03-2009, 02:05 PM   #10
Edison@JleviSW
1.888.JLEVISW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogan773 View Post
I do see a blue fabric patch covering a small hole in the back of the corner - I assume that's what youre talking about. You're saying that allows the air to circulate while still not allowing big drips to come in (kinda like a GoreTex material or something)

So Nick do people seal up that outer light or do they just leave it as is? I am not worried that the INNER area will get wet, as there doesnt seem to be a place for the water to get in, but I could see water coming in the outer area.
If you have that blue patch on there, you should be okay. It's not necessary but to be safe, install it on a normal weather day with standard humidity.
Old 09-03-2009, 02:06 PM   #11
Edison@JleviSW
1.888.JLEVISW

Quote:
That's typically the bulb. I have seen some mirror bulbs with too thick of a coating which causes them to overheat and melt the housings.
Old 09-03-2009, 02:10 PM   #12
Bimmer Dude Xi

My Ride: 03 325XI 07 ZX-6R
Send a message via AIM to Bimmer Dude Xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick@Jlevi SW View Post
That's typically the bulb. I have seen some mirror bulbs with too thick of a coating which causes them to overheat and melt the housings.
Most likely true. I'm using the bimmian bulbs. I might just go with LED's

|Dinan High Flow Air Box|Eibach Pro Kit|Koni Sport|UUC Strut Barbarian|UUC TSE3|UUC Underdrive Pulleys|18" VMR V710|

|BMC Race Air Filter|CRG Spectrum Levers| Galfer Steel Braided Brake Lines|Volar Motorsport Spiked Frame & Bar-end Sliders|
Bimmer Dude Xi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 03:01 PM   #13
josephi

My Ride: '02 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by freshprince2421 View Post
no problems here with my Depo sidemarkers.

My Depo corners on the other hand The inside of one is melted from the heat caused by my OEM amber bulb.
Geez, if the amber bulbs also melt my corners, I'm going to have to buy another set to replace them. That would be a big waste of money. I should have stuck with OEM's.
josephi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 03:28 PM   #14
Edison@JleviSW
1.888.JLEVISW

Quote:
Most likely true. I'm using the bimmian bulbs. I might just go with LED's
Contact Bimmian about the bulbs. Their new Solaris version has a thinner coating that allows heat to escape and not overheat.
Old 09-03-2009, 03:46 PM   #15
Riverbmr3

My Ride: slow 3
my depos end in the thrash, melted two sets, wasted my money in it..now i got oem clear...peace of mind
Riverbmr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 04:34 PM   #16
Hogan773

Jeez I didn't mean to start a Depo-bashing thread

I must say from a LOOKS standpoint these new Depos are just fine (save for the DEPO stamp)

I have SilverStar bulbs which hopefully won't overheat. Hoping they dont look too blue....

OEMs can be had for $80 so I agree, if Depos are melting and sh^t, that's a waste of money.

As the Depo is the EXACT same design though, why isn't it possible that those crappy Bimmian bulbs melt the OEMs too??? Is the Depo somehow made of lesser plastic?

I still haven't held them side by side with my OEM ambers so I guess I should be careful saying its the EXACT same design.

Have the rest of you bothered to seal those cracks or do you just leave them?
Old 09-03-2009, 09:49 PM   #17
Hogan773

I am an idiot - sorry guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogan773 View Post
Hey guys - I just got a brand new set of DEPO clear corners for facelift sedan. They look nice (would prefer not to have the DEPO stamp on the front, but whatever.......maybe I'll wetsand it out if it shows too much)

ANYWAY, question for others with Depo corners -- I notice that its like 2 pieces fused together - like the inside light part has a front clear cover, then there is the actual front cover that's a separate piece fused on. When you look behind the rubber gasket on top and bottom, you see there is a small crack or space between those 2 pieces. Is that the way everyone's is? I'm trying to figure out if I should caulk up that space to prevent any water getting in between the 2 "windowpanes", or whether its better to leave it as is so air can go in and out. Perhaps if its sealed up more, then it will fog and have more trouble dissipating the moist air trapped inside.....

I haven't pulled off my OEM amber corner to see if it also has this little gap, or not.

So I took a closer look when I got home from work tonight, and while there APPEARS to be a space between the 2 pieces, it is actually covered by a piece of clear plastic. It is just so transparent I didnt see it - but when taking a little screwdriver to see how big the "crack" was, I see that it is actually covered. Just like my OEM amber!

So now I really must say that the DEPO vs my OEM amber is EXACTLY the same match (again except for the stamp) and I am excited to see how they work.

Sorry for leading this on a wild goose chase