E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-03-2009, 06:39 PM   #1
ManUtd8

My Ride: '01 325i StahlGrau
My Angel Eyes almost caught fire! Opinions needed.

So I noticed one of my eyes was flickering, I popped the hood and looked at the clips that connect the rings to the ballast and it was smoking! Ive had them for 2+ years no problems.

I know that this is a somewhat common problem with the predator chromiums but damn!

So is the only fix to get rid of the black clips and solder the connection then heat shrink it? How much safer are they then?

What effect will this have on the “lifetime warranty”?

TIA!
ManUtd8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-03-2009, 06:47 PM   #2
dl1085

My Ride: 00 323ci
i heard of these catching on fire. i notice one side was flickering on my car for a bit, but i secured the ballast and it was fine. down the road they took a crap on me. when i unlock the car they come on with the interior lights, i start them up then they just turned off. im guessing mine was a bad wiring harness. so i dettached the red line which was t-taped to the red/gold wire in the engine bay, and unhook the brown wire and wrapped it up to a fuse in the glove box. no more remote feature but at least they are running when i start the car now

i know that had nothing to do what you were asking for, but if its lifetime warranty i would replace the whole set rather than fixing it yourself, just to be safe.

e46
flickr
i love lamp.
dl1085 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 08:48 PM   #3
ManUtd8

I doubt the sponsor I bought them from would replace the whole kit. Ill probably just end up soldering and re-crimping the ring wires to the harness with lots of heat shrink and electrical tape.
Old 09-04-2009, 05:32 AM   #4
Edison@JleviSW
1.888.JLEVISW

My Ride: BMW Duh
Send a message via AIM to Edison@JleviSW
Soldering is the safe bet, the weak point of these kits are the black plastic connectors so bypassing those will eliminate the problem.
Edison@JleviSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 08:46 AM   #5
catman3

My Ride: E46 318i
there should use some registered connector, say AMP. The current is very large, poor contact at the connector can cause overheat and fire. soldering is a possible way.
catman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 11:06 PM   #6
ManUtd8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick@Jlevi SW View Post
Soldering is the safe bet, the weak point of these kits are the black plastic connectors so bypassing those will eliminate the problem.
Do you guys sell just the rings of the LED kits? I didn't find any thing on your website.

EDIT: Found it.

Thanks everyone!
I just got done soldering and heat shrinking all the connectors, 2.5 hours later!

Last edited by ManUtd8; 09-04-2009 at 11:10 PM.
Old 09-04-2009, 11:07 PM   #7
Chris-TK

My Ride: Mk VI GTI
Led > ccfl
Old 09-04-2009, 11:09 PM   #8
neil1138

My CCFL angel eyes have attempted to catch fire twice. Like there was literally a fire, lots of smoke and sparking. I still have them though, no more stupid black plastic connectors though. I ripped those suckers out. Pic:

neil1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 11:23 PM   #9
ManUtd8

^^Damn! I think I saw your thread about that. Thats crazy, Im glad I caught mine before it got worse.

Eventually I'll go LED, just need to convince myself to buy them.

Last edited by ManUtd8; 09-04-2009 at 11:30 PM.
Old 09-04-2009, 11:51 PM   #10
neil1138

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManUtd8 View Post
^^Damn! I think I saw your thread about that. Thats crazy, Im glad I caught mine before it got worse.

Eventually I'll go LED, just need to convince myself to buy them.
Yep. I dont know how sponsors still sell these. Then after the fact, you get answers like these "the weak point of these kits are the black plastic connectors so bypassing those will eliminate the problem."

Well if the plastic connectors are the problem... why do sponsors sell them...

Last edited by neil1138; 09-24-2009 at 03:08 PM.
neil1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 02:07 AM   #11
NorCal Einstein

My Ride: E92 335i
Send a message via AIM to NorCal Einstein Send a message via Yahoo to NorCal Einstein
I would guess its maybe because that's the only option out there?

Just a guess.

Current:
2009 E92 335i Alpine White/Coral Red

Past:
2007 E92 335i Sparkling Graphite/Black
2000 E46 323i Steel Blue/Grey

NorCal Einstein is offline   Reply With Quote