E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Car Care & Detailing

Car Care & Detailing
Get detailing answers and tips here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-08-2009, 07:22 AM   #1
Rayce185
Modifiziertes ///Mitglied

Painter's Tape against rock chips?

I'm seriously wondering if a piece of stuck on paper can possibly protect your paint against rock chips...
Vinyl, sure.. as it's elastic and thicker, but painter's tape?!

I really want to see an actual test of someone doing 100+ mph and a little rock landing directly on the tape. I would rather imagine that it would cut right through than anything else.

If it's for the mere protection against brake dust, tar spots and insects, I can understand.... but not against rock chips, right?
|

dun dun duuuunnnn
Rayce185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-08-2009, 09:37 AM   #2
M0nk3y
Banned

My Ride: 2002 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayce185 View Post
I'm seriously wondering if a piece of stuck on paper can possibly protect your paint against rock chips...
Vinyl, sure.. as it's elastic and thicker, but painter's tape?!

I really want to see an actual test of someone doing 100+ mph and a little rock landing directly on the tape. I would rather imagine that it would cut right through than anything else.

If it's for the mere protection against brake dust, tar spots and insects, I can understand.... but not against rock chips, right?
Painter's Tape can protect against the chips, but I would imagine it will still leave an indent mark.

I would rather invest into a clear bra.....much more efficient in protecting the car
M0nk3y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 09:40 AM   #3
2000_328CI
DK Jack Sparrow

My Ride: 328Ci | Range Rover
Send a message via AIM to 2000_328CI Send a message via MSN to 2000_328CI
Clear bras aren't used to prevent rock chips at 100+ MPH. They are used to protect the front end from long cruises (driving from MD to NJ in my case). Sure they might not protect against any and every thing out there but they do a darn good job against bug tar, rock and dirt chips, and other small items. Also, keep in mind that most of these chips are glancing blows and taht the painters tape can certainly thwart scratches as a result.

As for the clear bra, of course it's better. But, it also looks goofy as you can clearly see the line running across the hood and fenders and, if you are looking to show the car, you want it looking as pristine as possible. Also, with aftermarket bumpers, hoods, lips, etc, it's very difficult to get clear bras on without really awkward lines in the bra.

Everything you need to know on muffler deletes : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=745244
2000_328CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 10:01 AM   #4
M0nk3y
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_328CI View Post
Clear bras aren't used to prevent rock chips at 100+ MPH. They are used to protect the front end from long cruises (driving from MD to NJ in my case). Sure they might not protect against any and every thing out there but they do a darn good job against bug tar, rock and dirt chips, and other small items. Also, keep in mind that most of these chips are glancing blows and taht the painters tape can certainly thwart scratches as a result.

As for the clear bra, of course it's better. But, it also looks goofy as you can clearly see the line running across the hood and fenders and, if you are looking to show the car, you want it looking as pristine as possible. Also, with aftermarket bumpers, hoods, lips, etc, it's very difficult to get clear bras on without really awkward lines in the bra.
I work at a tint shop that specializes in clear bras and tint. It's the only thing that we do.

We had an Audi take a rock that dented the hood and we had to remove it so the hood could be repaired. We took the bra off to what we thought was going to be a dented and scratched up hood. There were absolutely no scratches on the hood, and the only thing that was there was the dent. The clear bra protected the paint from all of the scratches. Now, if something can dent a hood, you would think a clear bra wouldn't protect that.

You can also custom make the film so you can do a full hood and fenders, so no lines will show

We work on high-end cars everyday. Mercedes, Porsche, BMW, Ferraris, We tint and do clear bras on them constantly.

We also custom make clear bras for aftermarket bumpers, there are no lines visible on the film that we use......Venture Shield.

Here are just some cars that we did clear bras on. Tell me what you can see........

Try to argue something that you actually know and work on next time. I know what I am talking about
Old 09-08-2009, 10:04 AM   #5
SpecC

My Ride: 07 Scion tC, E90 330
Send a message via AIM to SpecC
nothing prevents the tiny dents you get if you hit a rock. but painter's tape will preserve the paint
Old 09-08-2009, 10:15 AM   #6
Rayce185

I agree with Monkey... A friend of mine has his own vinyling company here and also does clear bras... Up to a specific speed, the rocks won't even dent the car.

But back on topic: What is the actual sense of people using painter's tape if it doesn't really protect the car? Apart from being able to draw stupid stuff on the car...

I mean you can wash off bugs and tar marks anyway, why waste extra cash on the tape?
|

dun dun duuuunnnn
Old 09-08-2009, 10:22 AM   #7
2000_328CI
DK Jack Sparrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by M0nk3y View Post
I work at a tint shop that specializes in clear bras and tint. It's the only thing that we do.

We had an Audi take a rock that dented the hood and we had to remove it so the hood could be repaired. We took the bra off to what we thought was going to be a dented and scratched up hood. There were absolutely no scratches on the hood, and the only thing that was there was the dent. The clear bra protected the paint from all of the scratches. Now, if something can dent a hood, you would think a clear bra wouldn't protect that.

You can also custom make the film so you can do a full hood and fenders, so no lines will show

We work on high-end cars everyday. Mercedes, Porsche, BMW, Ferraris, We tint and do clear bras on them constantly.

We also custom make clear bras for aftermarket bumpers, there are no lines visible on the film that we use......Venture Shield.

Here are just some cars that we did clear bras on. Tell me what you can see........

Try to argue something that you actually know and work on next time. I know what I am talking about
Argumentative and obnoxious bit much?

To be honest, I can't see any seams because the pictures you posted are from 6 feet away, are super small, and super grainy. Get a camera close to the hood and I'm sure you can see it (unless you went all the way up).

Speaking of which, should you leave the bra on for a good amount of time, especially with aftermarket parts and paint, and you will certainly get a good bit of discoloring as the sun will fade those parts not covered and, over time, a noticeable difference will arise when the films pulled off.

Additionally, like i mentioned earlier, you have done OEM hoods, bumpers, and fenders on those cars. I doubt a custom bra could be put together for my front setup that would look that nice and be free of lines or places where the film started and stopped. Given that my front lip isn't molded, there would be no way to get it perfectly unless you wrapped the entire lip off the car, then did the bumper, then pulled the hood off and wrapped that all the way to the windsheild... then you would need to cut the areas around the vents on the hood... then you would need to do the fenders all the way back to the door panels to ensure that you don't see any lines... Oh, and then i would want the rear bumper done behind the wheels as it's all fiberglass... but to ensure no lines there, i would need to do the entire rear bumper and, might as well do the mirrors while we're at it.

All in all, that will cost a ton of money when compared to the 5 bucks for painters tape that I use each direction going back and forth between NJ. Maybe if I made the trip hundreds of times it would justify the cost to just incur it up front and do a clear bra, but I really don't want to drop what must be 1250+ for the type of work listed above to get it to look just like I want it.

So yeah, for the time being, I'll incur the small charges for tape, spend 10 minutes applying it before going on long trips, and love the shine that I can get on a painted surface.

Next time, maybe leave out a little bit of the negativity

Everything you need to know on muffler deletes : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=745244
Old 09-08-2009, 10:24 AM   #8
Rayce185

A clear bra costs more and is meant to protect the paint for years, painter's tape isn't. We all know that the bra is superior, but this thread isn't about it. Please back ontopic.
|

dun dun duuuunnnn
Old 09-08-2009, 10:30 AM   #9
SpecC

My Ride: 07 Scion tC, E90 330
Send a message via AIM to SpecC
Quote:
A clear bra costs more and is meant to protect the paint for years, painter's tape isn't. We all know that the bra is superior, but this thread isn't about it. Please back ontopic.
A lot of clear bras yellow and change the finish of the car too. I just get the car taped up on long trips where chips might be more prone. Otherwise, save for a repaint if you really car that much.
Old 09-08-2009, 10:32 AM   #10
M0nk3y
Banned

Venture Shield will not discolor the paint at all. It's not designed to, and when pulled off and cleaned, you don't even know there was a clear bra on there at all.

There is no need to remove the hood, you can wrap it when it is open.

As for us wrapping hard bumpers and hoods, maybe these cars can ensure you that we this kind of stuff on a daily basis:

When I get back home, I'll take my camera and prove to you that it's impossible to see the lines from the film we use unless you know exactly where it is, and you are on top of it.

And this isn't 3M film......don't make that mistake

3M film WILL discolor and show orange peel in the film.

Venture Shield isn't that, and it carries a lifetime warranty against fading, and other defects in the film.

That being said. I think it's just a PITA to tape up your car every time for a trip. It's just something I wouldn't do

Last edited by M0nk3y; 09-08-2009 at 10:34 AM.
Old 09-08-2009, 10:40 AM   #11
2000_328CI
DK Jack Sparrow

How much would you charge to put venture shield on an m3 bumper, with lip, with vented hood (entire thing), with fenders, with mirrors, and the entire rear bumper?

Old 09-08-2009, 10:53 AM   #12
46_coupe

My Ride: is lame
Quote:
Originally Posted by M0nk3y View Post
Venture Shield will not discolor the paint at all. It's not designed to, and when pulled off and cleaned, you don't even know there was a clear bra on there at all.

There is no need to remove the hood, you can wrap it when it is open.

As for us wrapping hard bumpers and hoods, maybe these cars can ensure you that we this kind of stuff on a daily basis:
When I get back home, I'll take my camera and prove to you that it's impossible to see the lines from the film we use unless you know exactly where it is, and you are on top of it.

And this isn't 3M film......don't make that mistake

3M film WILL discolor and show orange peel in the film.

Venture Shield isn't that, and it carries a lifetime warranty against fading, and other defects in the film.

That being said. I think it's just a PITA to tape up your car every time for a trip. It's just something I wouldn't do
How does the waxing process work if you have your entire front bumper/hood covered in this?

I have my front grille/part of my hood done with 3M and I haven't waxed it ever...just gets a soapy washmit and microfibre treatment. Do you wax on top of the ventureshield like you would normal paint?!

"As soon as you're born, you start dying, so you might as well have a good time" - Cake
46_coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 12:09 PM   #13
M0nk3y
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_328CI View Post
How much would you charge to put venture shield on an m3 bumper, with lip, with vented hood (entire thing), with fenders, with mirrors, and the entire rear bumper?
It all depends. I'm not the one that makes the quotes.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46_coupe View Post
How does the waxing process work if you have your entire front bumper/hood covered in this?

I have my front grille/part of my hood done with 3M and I haven't waxed it ever...just gets a soapy washmit and microfibre treatment. Do you wax on top of the ventureshield like you would normal paint?!

Yes, you wax it just like you would with the rest of the car.

When it comes to detailing, you use a light polish
Old 09-08-2009, 12:23 PM   #14
Rayce185

I give up...
|

dun dun duuuunnnn
Old 09-08-2009, 01:05 PM   #15
2000_328CI
DK Jack Sparrow

Monkey, take a wild guess as to how much it would cost. Given doing a custom 3m job would run me well over a grand for what I was looking to have done (which didn't include the rear bumper), I can only imagine your venture shield stuff would run north of 1500... maybe as much as 2 grand. When you compare that to 5 bucks for painters tape, sure it won't do as good of a job and requires you to put in a little elbow grease, but for 1/300th the cost, I'll stick with it.

As for Rayce's question, of course tape won't protect you from major rock chips. Just like i commented in my original answer, it helps against bugs, small chips, small rocks, typical road debris, and keeps your bumper clean if going to a show. Naturally, it won't prevent a randy johnson fastball or a large rock from going through the tape and dinking up your bumper.

Old 09-08-2009, 02:21 PM   #16
E92M

My Ride: '08 M3 | '03 R6
Quote:
I give up...

Ey Ray, you wouldn't be interested in some XBL tonight, would ya?

/Threadjack,
-Chris
Old 09-08-2009, 03:46 PM   #17
2000_328CI
DK Jack Sparrow

Who wants to play tiger woods '10 on ps3?